chinese exclusion act

Posted by: jgw

chinese exclusion act - 05/26/19 04:41 PM

Last night we watched a movie called; "The Chinese Exclusion Act" and it was an eye opener. I think the title, pretty much, says it all although I guess one should also mention the slaughter and mahem (brave white people, for instance, burned down the San Francisco Chinatown, committed many lynchings, etc. against the Chinese. It ended in 1943 and, apparently right now, allows a total of 105 Chinese to come to the US (the bare minimum). Anyway, its easy to look up and its pretty bad. Oh, it was also enacted whilst we had a treaty with China against this stuff. I guess we were breaking our word even back in the 1800's.

The movie is available at: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/chinese-exclusion-act/
as well as other places.

However, that being said, there are a couple of point of interest. For instance, the Chinese Exclusion Act was opposed by the Republicans when it was still the party of Lincoln. It was also promulgated, and supported by the Democrats. Apparently the Democrats was actually the party of oppression, and left, whilst the Republican party was the party tending left and a champion of those of color. I had never thought on this one before and it kinda boggles. What happened? How could this be? Etc, etc.....

I guess worms actually do turn. Just saying...........
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: chinese exclusion act - 05/26/19 05:52 PM

I remember Dixiecrats: Southern racist Democrats who moved en masse to the Republican Party following LBJ's Civil Rights Act. Before that a lot of KKK members were Democrats. I guess the Republican Party really started to rot from within under Nixon. Certainly under Eisenhower they were still fairly ethical.
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: chinese exclusion act - 05/27/19 01:52 AM

The two major parties have retooled and rebooted several times in our history.