All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway

Posted by: jgw

All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/27/19 07:46 PM

When the founders setup the nation they also setup a system wherein nobody gets everything they want but everybody gets a bit of what they want. That's the way it was for many years. Then the Republicans spawned Gingrich. He had one simple plan - do not give an inch on anything and the wimps on the left will eventually come around.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

He was right! His plan was simple. Don't give an inch and doing anything you can to win, no matter what, was the other half. The Republicans embraced this, and over the years have actually refined it. Now there are indications that the Democrats are either thinking of, or actually joining up with the Republican methodology. The problem is that, now, we have a congress which, basically, cannot legislate in any meaningful way. We currently have a situation wherein the House can pass over 300 pieces of legislation and the Senate 50. This is, flat out, crazy. What makes it even worse is that the Senate is simply refusing to even allow anybody in the senate to vote on anything that the house sends them.

So, the plan to have two parties, one for the Left, one for the Right to, basically, run the nation obviously was the plan. The secret to success was that both parties would respect the other and they would both be willing to sit down and work out stuff that both sides could live with. Nobody gets it all but everybody gets something. This worked for a very long time. If we are to survive then them that would govern is going to have to make some serious decision in how to restore what was. The start would be to setup a congressional system of respect for every other member which would include how they speak about, and to, one another. Then throw in a rule which forces both sides to sit with one another instead of each group being isolated from the other. I am sure that there is more but, I think, that would be a good start.

I am sure that there are, sometimes, issues wherein both sides are in agreement, there are no arguments. Unfortunately this is a rare thing in most instances. I think my point is that its really best when there are no members determined to get what they want no matter what. When that does happen then congress should vote to label whatever as not likely to to stubborn and then advertise it so everybody knows that the elected class is unable to reach any kind of an agreement whatsoever.

There, that's it, my half assed solution................
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/27/19 07:53 PM

McConnell has of course mastered this.

He, rather than Trump, is the reason I don't think we should give the GOP a damn thing.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/27/19 07:59 PM

Yah, that will work? Just refuse to do a damn thing. Waaaay better than what we have now? Hmmmmmm?
Posted by: Greger

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/27/19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
McConnell has of course mastered this.

He, rather than Trump, is the reason I don't think we should give the GOP a damn thing.

We need to work our way back to a position where there can be compromise. But yeah...no. Now is not the time to give in to them. McConnell is 77 years old, he's not gonna be around much longer. In fact, a lot of these folks aren't going to be around much longer. In both parties.
The partisan logjam will then begin to break up a bit.
When the Boomers are gone.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/27/19 10:20 PM

I doubt turnover will offer a solution: Each Party has younger members with the same attitude. What we need are different attitudes. Unfortunately, primaries weed out all the moderates, so we end up with a general election consisting of extremes. Sooner or later the voters will get tired of a Congress that can't do anything because of partisan gridlock.

This is mostly happening on the Republican side because they are desperate to retain some power in the face of changing demographics. But the future always is on the side of progress. It's inherent: Progressive implies the future and conservative implies the past. Since time only runs in one direction (according to human perceptions), there can only be one outcome.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/28/19 04:20 AM

The turnover will reflect the different attitudes of Millenials. They are not the same as boomers and Xers. Boomers are still fighting about things that Millenials don't even remember. Demographics are changing with the generations too.
Did we ever see zebra couples when we were young? They're a dime a dozen these days and mixed race kids are too. Racism is weakening among the younger set, not going away by any means but weakening. Homosexuality is normal in most places now, not even frowned upon by most. Just a part of life, as it should be.

There are changes coming.
Posted by: chunkstyle

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/28/19 10:37 AM

And i’ll, as usual, point out that there is not much ‘left’ in the Democratic Party today. There were times when the left and liberals were fellow travelers but a couple of ‘purges’ and red baiting by republicans have left the Democrats with very little of what I understand as the left.

Having moved to the center right has made it more difficult for Democrats to distinguish themselves from the other party on economic and material concerns.

Perhaps if they would form common cause with progressives and leftists again they would recreate some of their past legislative successes. All signs point to an entrenchment of hostility towards leftists in the upcoming election, leaving the country in an untenable political situation.
You can only wonder where it will go from here.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 11/29/19 06:33 PM

Quote:
not much ‘left’ in the Democratic Party today.

There is absolutely no 'left' at all within The Democratic Party, the DNC as it were. Corporatists all, neo-liberals, anathema to all things good, eaters of children, defilers of temples.

But among small-d-democrats there is a lot of 'left' and it is trending farther that way all the time.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/01/19 10:05 PM

That's exactly why we need a unity ticket: We have two wings in the greater party, and we need both of them to beat Trump. I don't see Warren or Sanders asking Biden to be VP, but Biden could ask either of them. We need to stop this ego-driven thing of bringing a nobody as VP.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/01/19 11:09 PM

Its unfortunate. The Republicans have demonstrated, time after time, that one winning strategy is to 1)tell big lies, keep on telling them until they become fact. This is relatively easy, right now, for instance, there is the anti-impeach Republicans who are whining about how the Democrats won't let the Republicans put up their own witnesses. This is, basically, asking a police investigation team to allow all those likely to be the criminals to take part in, and try to control their investigation! This has now been going on for months yet I have yet to hear a single Democrat even mention this little fact. Instead they remain silent so that the Republicans can continue to lie and garner support at the same time!

What we really need is not so much unity but, rather, a functional 2 party system. We seem to have, instead, are two parties not only going their own ways but one side successfully inventing an entirely new reality, sticking to their talking points, lying their heads off, and being allowed, by the Democratic party to pull it all off whilst sticking to their "my way or the highway" mode. All this whilst the Democrats continues to beat each other black and blue, making sure that everybody is pure, going back to their days in high school, and anybody who might disagree either ignored or forced hide away in shame.

There is some indication, however, that the Dems will, very occasionally, mention that they have sent over 300 bills to the senate where they lay dormant. It would seem that all the blame falls on the shoulders of Moscow Mitch rather than the Republicans as a whole. That one too seems strange. If the Republicans of the senate wanted him gone he would be gone. That being the case why in the world have the Dems decided to let, basically, all Republicans but Moscow Mitch skate from this strange set of odd. In other words I think that they should forget Mitch who, really, just reflects the will of his fellow senators and start going after them ALL!

Is it any wonder that just about everybody agrees that Trump will be VERY tough to beat and, right now, its unlikely the Dems can win unless they are a LOT more united than they are now.

<sigh>
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/02/19 01:26 AM

Trump Republicans are a danger to the continued survival of this country as a sovereign nation, a threat to our very e pluribus unum itself.

The day will come when the American people are finally aware of the extent of Putin's sabotage.
It may not come because of impeachment efforts, it may not come because of efforts by our intelligence, it may not come because our media lays it all out in clear and concise terms. It may not come because of all the above combined.
And God help us if that is the case, because that leaves only one possible way to wake our people up from their deep slumber.

Think about it for a moment. All of Putin's efforts point to one goal, to politically and economically "annex" the United States to the point where we are defeated and rendered fully impotent to stop him, to the point where our future depends on Putin's whims alone.
To not believe this is a possibility means one has to believe some very unbelievable things about "Saint Vladimir" and his failing petro-state.
But more importantly, at the top, where the rubber meets the road, one has to believe that our Republican leadership is benignly selling us down the river to a foreign power for our own good.

Not even the threat of death will ever convince me to believe such things.
I am an American first, not Republican, not Democrat, not conservative, not liberal...American.

The Trump GOP is a domestic terrorist insurgency, and for once I am actually glad that Guantanamo is still in operation because once the truth comes out, that's where I believe the Trump Organization and its most ardent benefactors should spend the rest of their lives. That is what one does with enemy combatants.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/02/19 01:45 AM

I'll lay 70-30 odds that if an actual real civil war does break out, Trump and his fans will seek AND ACCEPT all kinds of help from Putin. Take your pick, military, cash, weapons, you name it. They will seek it out or Putin will offer it and in any case, covert or overt, 70-30 odds they will accept it.

Silly of us to dream up a 1984 movie like Red Dawn, with its premise that the Green Party would trigger the dissolution of NATO, when we're watching the 45th president actively doing his utmost to kill it in real time right before our eyes with the glowing approval of his party.
And to think it was named among "The Best Conservative Movies." (#15: Red Dawn) National Review Online, February 23, 2009.

John Milius must be kicking himself for getting it wrong, and kicking himself again for getting it wrong the second time in the FPS game "Homefront", which targets the North Koreans as the adversary.
I never thought of calling him up until just now.
I'm certain his response won't be pleasant. He never got over the fact that I married Barry Beckerman's ex-wife.
I guess he always had the hots for her.

I think I'm going to call him up right now. I bet he hangs up on me.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/02/19 05:07 AM

The Kremlin is speaking directly into the open ears of The Republican Party at many levels including directly to the top.
It will be proven conclusively that the entire Trump Organization and its Republican Party exponents are acting at the behest of Vladimir Putin.

The entire Trump wing of the party, which comprises most of them by virtue of attrition of its more principled conservative members, are unindicted coconspirators in all of this. They are committing acts of war by proxy on the American people.

Trump and his fans will seek AND ACCEPT all kinds of help from Putin. Take your pick, military, "Putin's Little Green Men", cash, weapons, you name it.
They will seek it out or Putin will offer it and in any case, covert or overt, 70-30 odds they will accept it.
They will also seek out and enlist contractors in the employ of and under the direction of former Blackwater CEO Erik Prince. UAE has no extradition treaty with the United States, and even if we did have one, the criminal Trump Organization would lay waste to it in order to protect Prince.
Thus Prince is safe and can act with impunity, also as a servant of the criminal Trump Organization.

The world may just witness another first, Wagner Group mercenary contractors working side by side with Academi(formerly Blackwater).

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/03/19 03:04 AM

It’s liberal Benghazi.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/03/19 05:50 AM

Quote:
It will be proven conclusively that the entire Trump Organization and its Republican Party exponents are acting at the behest of Vladimir Putin.

No it won't. If this was a movie, yeah. With helicopters.

But this is real life, He'll lose in 2020 and move to Mar-A-Lago. He will never be charged with a crime. Life will go on.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/04/19 10:47 PM

I'm with you! I also think that the Dems are kidding themselves as far as the 'quick' impeachment is concerned. There is just too much crap raining down for that to happen and more and more stuff getting revealed. I suspect those involved are going to start talking instead of continuing to lie, lie, lie.............

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/05/19 02:44 AM

I saw it suggested somewhere that the House should just hold onto the articles of impeachment and just not send them over to the Senate. Continue investigating right up to the election.

Keep the pressure on him.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/05/19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Greger
I saw it suggested somewhere that the House should just hold onto the articles of impeachment and just not send them over to the Senate. Continue investigating right up to the election.

---OMG that would drive the GOP absolutely INSANE. LOL ROTFMOL

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/05/19 03:09 AM

I guarantee you that all SCOTUS actions WILL be settled, and all thirteen embargoed White House witnesses WILL be forced to appear.
This might actually be the best approach.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/05/19 04:15 AM

Or:

How to keep a bunch of assholes in suspense until November 2020
LOL ROTFMOL

In fact, the House should arrest all of the Gang of Thirteen tomorrow and hold them UNTIL late October when they finally release the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate.

OCTOBER SURPRISE ON STEROIDS!!!

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/05/19 07:40 PM

Not a bad idea either! I just read; https://news.yahoo.com/trump-mental-state-deteriorating-dangerously-125938734.html

No telling how he would react to just letting it dangle <G>

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: jgw
Not a bad idea either! I just read; https://news.yahoo.com/trump-mental-state-deteriorating-dangerously-125938734.html

I know how we need to react:

"Your Mister Turley said we shouldn't rush the process."
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas

What was up with fatboy and people flush the toilet 10 to 15 times, yesterday? Hmm

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

What was up with fatboy and people flush the toilet 10 to 15 times, yesterday? Hmm

Quote:
But for the most part, you have many states where they have so much water that it comes down — it's called rain — that they don't know, they don't know what to do with it."

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 06:18 PM

Quote:
But for the most part, you have many states where they have so much water that it comes down — it's called rain — that they don't know, they don't know what to do with it."

Anytime there is a flood everybody should just flush their toilets until the water goes down.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 06:44 PM

Quote:

I had a neighbor to my business once who suffered a bit of flooding to his mortuary business after a very heavy rain (3" in about 20 minutes) - as it happens he hadn't followed the building code for either floor height above grade, or proper drainage around the building. But since my property was uphill from his, and therefore the runoff came from my place, he sued me for damages. In his lawsuit his complaint was that I, "increased the rainwater fall".

Did I mention that he was a Republican?

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 06:55 PM

Quote:

Anytime there is a flood everybody should just flush their toilets until the water goes down.

ROTFMOL

TrumpTARDs would agree with that statement. laugh

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/07/19 06:56 PM

Golly! Thanks to DJT, I now know that liquid falling from the sky is called 'rain.' coffee

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/08/19 10:38 AM

Quote:
floor height above grade, or proper drainage around the building

People do that all the time, or else they start with a slab house properly above grade, and then bring in topsoil and destroy their drainage. One good rain, and the house floods. When every house used to have a basement, they always made the door sills well above grade and installed good drains to keep the basement dry.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/09/19 02:11 AM

Cant remember where, but I remember a similar post to this ones that was going off on certain people needing to get their way over the greater good.

Amazon getting refused public subsidy was one as I recall.
How dare they! Don’t they know how the real world works?!

Amazon Expands in New York Without Taking Billions in Public Cash

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/09/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: chunkstyle
Cant remember where, but I remember a similar post to this ones that was going off on certain people needing to get their way over the greater good.

Amazon getting refused public subsidy was one as I recall.
How dare they! Don’t they know how the real world works?!

Amazon Expands in New York Without Taking Billions in Public Cash

The AOC haters are now pinning their tantrum on "forward-looking statements" issued by an Amazon prospectus.
Anyone who has read investment portfolio forward looking statements knows that they sound a lot like inflated used car salesman claims, and the company making those statements are under no obligation to fulfill said claims, hiding behind generic disclaimers...about said statements.

If AMZ had been serious about "the 25 thousand jerbs", they would have had the guts to put it in writing minus such disclaimers.

Now they can claim they were going to "create 25 BAZILLION jerbs" and it won't even matter.

If I ISSUE forward-looking statement disclaimers, I TOO can promise twenty-five berzillion jerbs.
Anyone here at the Rant need a new job? LOL

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/09/19 07:24 PM

I guess you can't blame Amazon for trying...?

Personally, I admire Jeff Bezos.

Quote:
Bezos was born Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen on January 12, 1964, in Albuquerque, the son of Jacklyn Gise Jorgensen and Ted Jorgensen.[6] At the time of his birth, his mother was a 17-year-old high school student, and his father was a bike shop owner.[7] After Jacklyn divorced Ted, she married Cuban immigrant Miguel "Mike" Bezos in April 1968.[8] Shortly after the wedding, Mike adopted four-year-old Jorgensen, whose surname was then changed to Bezos.

He wasn't born into wealth. A lot of stories that start out like that don't end nearly as well.

He revolutionized marketing worldwide. I used to buy books from him when that was all he sold. Back then the nearest bookstore was over an hour away. Amazon would mail them to me! Now I just click on it and it and it is on my nightstand by the time I get to my bedroom. Does this guy deserve to be filthy rich or what?

Degrees from Princeton in Electrical Engineering and Computer science in 1984. Worked on Wall Street in related fields for a few years, then moved from New York to Seattle and started selling books online.
Then he expanded.

Genius. He built the railroads of modern commerce.

But that's just the shiny side of the coin.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/09/19 10:28 PM

Bezo's figured out you could buy stuff online and the post office would deliver it for him.

He didn't invent anything. He's a marketing/business guy.

He got there first is all. I can't see his compensation in any way related to any tangible benefits to society that are unique from him.

We had the post office. Ditto fed-ex, UPS, Internet.

He has done a Bill Gates in that he's avoided Taft-Hartley while Amazon accounts for half the internet transactions.

Break it up I say.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/10/19 06:38 PM

One thing I have never figured out is why ebay is cheaper than Amazon but most stuff ordered, from Ebay (in the United States) comes in Amazon boxes. I have always found this to be a bit odd. I also have noted that people all seem to prefer Amazon over Ebay.

I did learn, several years ago, that one should NEVER get anything for 'free' from Amazon as you will be subscribing (with absolutely no head's up) to something that will dun you forever.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 10:12 AM

The reason you get ebay stuff in Amazon boxes, is because that's an Amazon box the seller already had from an Amazon order. I've got tons of empty Amazon boxes!

Amazon is a LOT more reliable than ebay. On November 19th, I bought something on ebay. The "seller" never shipped it. I had to wait until 12/10 to ask ebay to step in. They did give me a refund right away, once I could explain the issue, but that's 21 days of rattling around in circular weblink limbo. I knew he hadn't shipped it on day 3. Almost everything I order on Amazon is shipped for free the same day, and arrives in a day or two.
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 02:50 PM

One thing I have never figured out is why ebay is cheaper than Amazon but most stuff ordered, from Ebay (in the United States) comes in Amazon boxes. I have always found this to be a bit odd. I also have noted that people all seem to prefer Amazon over Ebay.

I did learn, several years ago, that one should NEVER get anything for 'free' from Amazon as you will be subscribing (with absolutely no head's up) to something that will dun you forever.

This is like getting a "free" tablet from your cell phone company.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 06:05 PM

Quote:
Bezo's figured out you could buy stuff online and the post office would deliver it for him.

Sears figured that out a long time ago...where are they today?

Break it up? Because he was too successful? Because he made too much money and for some reason that's morally repugnant?

Message here is that success is bad and the government should put a stop to it.

Au contraire mon frere!

Government should tax the f*ck out of it.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 07:14 PM

You are right about sears. I have 2 sears stores within 15 miles of where I live. An interesting thing is that Mexico still has Montgomery Wards! (and also sears).

I suspect, however, that sears kinda left mail order for retail store. Now, however, Amazon is making moves to get into retail store. I don't think that retail store is a real good place to be right now...............

Then again I am not really sure about mail order either. Seems tv runs at least 1 story a week on how somebody stole packages left on porches. Probably a good opportunity for somebody to start building secure delivery boxes for the home? I think that the post office is starting to cut back on their stand alone mailboxes. I wonder if they are surplussing them. That would allow somebody to get them, repaint them, and sell them to homes. Those things would probably hold small packages?

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 07:15 PM

Actually its been explained to me. When I get an ebay order in an Amazon box it means that the seller is also an Amazon seller and ships at the Amazon rate which is better than ebay's

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 07:19 PM

He accounts for half the internet transactions. I don't think Sears managed that much dominance. Amazon will only get more dominant than it already has become in the transaction portion of retail.

Yes, It's both morally repugnant and economically inefficient that capital accumulation has gotten so out of hand.

I agree absolutely he should be getting taxed.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 08:40 PM

Quote:
Probably a good opportunity for somebody to start building secure delivery boxes for the home?

You can buy them from Amazon.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 09:10 PM

Quote:
ships at the Amazon rate which is better than ebay's

I'm betting you don't buy or sell anything om ebay: Ebay sells nothing and ships nothing, so there is no such thing as "ebay's rate". Individuals and company's sell things on ebay, and then ship them directly to their buyer. The rate they pay is their own rate, if they have negotiated or taken advantage of a shipper's account discount. Otherwise it's just the normal public rate.

Amazon does stock and ship most of their items. Recently, they have included items from companies that get shipped directly from the company to the buyer.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/11/19 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
The reason you get ebay stuff in Amazon boxes, is because that's an Amazon box the seller already had from an Amazon order. I've got tons of empty Amazon boxes!

Amazon is a LOT more reliable than ebay. On November 19th, I bought something on ebay. The "seller" never shipped it. I had to wait until 12/10 to ask ebay to step in. They did give me a refund right away, once I could explain the issue, but that's 21 days of rattling around in circular weblink limbo. I knew he hadn't shipped it on day 3. Almost everything I order on Amazon is shipped for free the same day, and arrives in a day or two.

Generally a good rule of thumb for the larger sellers but please allow me to explain my own situation:

I am not a big record company but I do make a living selling a couple of different concert videos on the internet, through my own website and through eBay.

My own FAQ starts off with the disclaimer
"PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 30 DAYS FOR SHIPPING"

Now, it has never ever taken me anywhere near 30 days but I post that disclaimer because there are slow periods where I only get one order a day, or maybe two.
That would mean I am making daily trips to the PO. No thanks, cost of shipping envelopes and time to prepare is more than enough of a drain.
I wait till I have at least five or six orders, (or even ten) then ship them all out at the same time.
So it might take a week, or even two before I do ship.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/13/19 12:40 AM

My last ebay seller included: "Orders shipped within 2 days" in his posting, and then he never shipped at all.

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/13/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
My last ebay seller included: "Orders shipped within 2 days" in his posting, and then he never shipped at all.

Understood, just mentioning my own methods so that it's out there smile

Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway - 12/13/19 09:30 PM

I think waiting to aggregate shipping is fine if you state the receiving date in the posting, and then meet that date. A lot of stuff I buy on ebay is "want it", so the date is not that important. A lot of stuff on Amazon is "need it".