What's the Democratic Party doing?

Posted by: jgw

What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/10/20 06:37 PM

I get a mass of emails from the Democratic party as well as any number of Democratic candidates. They all want one single thing - my money. Its relentless.

Now, I live in Washington state so we really don't get too many political ads. There are some from Trump (they are, for the most part very good) and also we get ads from the Lincoln Project (a group of disgusted ex-Republicans). Their ads are much better than the Trump ads. The news itself reports with regularity how good various of Democratic candidates are scoring bigtime with donations.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple. What is the Democratic party doing? They are not posting any Biden Ads as far as I can tell, perhaps that will happen after they have a convention? I have no idea. As far as I can tell they are either not putting up ads or are skipping Washington because its a known quantity. If that is what is happening then what we might have is another Democratic party ignoring a state that always tends towards Democrats. They also did that one for Hillary and we all know how that worked out.

Here is a list of donors from opensecrets.org:
https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php

As an aside, does anybody know if Bloombergs operation has been taken over by the Dems? Does Bloomberg still have it? Hmmm?

Anyway, my question remains. What are the Democrats doing? As far as I can tell the candidates are, pretty much, on their own. What are they doing?

Oh, I, incidentally, choose to support the Lincoln project as there is evidence they ARE doing something!
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/10/20 07:22 PM

Trump has climbed the tree and put the noose around his own neck so far, with no help from Democrats. He's doing a great job campaigning against Donald Trump. All Biden has to do at this point is say he'll be everybody's President, and not just lead some fanatic extremists. Oh, and not be a crook.
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/10/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jgw

Anyway, my question remains. What are the Democrats doing? As far as I can tell the candidates are, pretty much, on their own. What are they doing?

If they're smart, they're doing nothing at all.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/10/20 08:46 PM

You may be right! <G> (agree on your Trump thing. Its absolutely amazing! (still, I really like the vids from the Lincoln project)
Posted by: Greger

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/10/20 09:22 PM

Some are saying that the Lincoln Project is doing nothing but trolling Trump and as such are not helping Democrats. We've been trolling Trump for years with no positive effect.

Joe's hat with the stars and stripes aviators is awesome!

Joe's also jumping on the "Buy American" platform ahead of Trump who is basically sitting on his hands.

I dunno what the Democrats are doing but Joe's putting together a pretty effective campaign.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 04:51 PM

ANYTHING that denigrates Trump helps the Democrats. Anybody who doesn't believe that have a serious problem.

Joe is making a lot of promises. I would have preferred that he talk a bit about what he is going to do to fix our government. He is, for instance, going to have to roll back hundreds of presidential fiats by Trump. Hell, there are actually over a hundred for the environment alone! Hopefully he will not to the fiat way and legislate them all instead. The house has, literally, hundreds of pieces of legislation sitting in the Senate right now. I don't know if that legislation remains after the election in November but, if they don't I would expect the house to re-pass them as soon as they reassemble after the election.

In other words there is a LOT that is going to need doing right off the bat. They should also setup a job corps and go after our infrastructure which has continued to rot through the Obama administration and the Trump administration (Obama wanted to but the Republicans stopped him and Trump said he would but I am not even sure he understands the term 'infrastructure')

I have seen some of the Biden ads. I am happy they are putting them up but they are not, exactly, inspiring. On the other hand Trump is so busy screwing everything up, lying, etc. that I am not sure that Biden really needs to do all that much.

Oh, does anybody know if there is going to be a presidential debate or not? I would be amazed if Trump would do that as Biden would call him, hopefully, on every lie. It would not be good for Trump.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 07:09 PM

Quote:
ANYTHING that denigrates Trump helps the Democrats. Anybody who doesn't believe that have a serious problem.

Then I guess I have a serious problem. Screeching and whining about Trump serves no purpose to anyone and just makes Republicans dig their heels in deeper.

Quote:
Joe is making a lot of promises. I would have preferred that he talk a bit about what he is going to do to fix our government.

Joe's talking a lot about "Building Back Better". Those promises you don't like hearing are actually his plans to fix the government. He has something clever and devastating to say about Donald Trump almost daily. He's pushing all the right buttons and saying all the right things as near as I can tell.

He's gonna win easily.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 07:21 PM

Regarding debates, I can take 'em or leave 'em. I don't know whether Joe is a good debater or not. But I know that Trump is a word salad bloviator who cannot debate but can only bully and argue.

I'd like to see some thoughtful interviews of both candidates though.
Posted by: perotista

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 08:38 PM

The only presidential debates I watched were the ones in 1992, I watched none since then and none before then. Being a good debater isn't on my list as what makes a good president.

Now I'm with some thoughtful interviews. But even then, they wouldn't change my mind as to who I'm going to vote for. I pretty much know who I'll vote for prior to the start of the primaries, now I might have to reassess if my candidate doesn't get the nomination, but that's part of the game.

Example, 2016 I started out supporting Jim Webb, when he failed to campaign I switched to John Kasich. When he lost to Trump, then it was on to Gary Johnson as there was no way I'd ever vote for either Trump nor Hillary Clinton. Actually, my vote for Johnson was in reality a vote against both major party candidates, not necessarily for Johnson. Any third name on the ballot would have done nicely.

About a year or so ago there was an article that stated most third party voters in 2016 wouldn't, even knowing what they do today wouldn't change their vote. That some 9 million voters. Such was the disgust for both major party candidates.

But that history, now on to bigger and better things. Bringing sanity back to the presidency, a return to normalcy.

ADULT 2020

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 08:48 PM

Biden explained his plans months ago and it made sense. Since then he has been giving politics a whirl. I tend to believe what he said before which was, basically, that he planned to search and and hire experts in a variety of fields to solve specific problems. This makes a lot of sense to me. Anybody who claims they are going to fix everything themselves are just running their mouths and little else.

"Screeching and whining" If you are referencing the ads put out by the Lincoln project then I take umbrage. I consider most of them to be exactly the opposite and quite good and, for the true believer, educational as well.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/11/20 09:23 PM

The fact that so many voted Third Party to express discontent with both Trump and Clinton is actually an indictment of American voters. I can see not liking Trump because of all those disgusting things he has done or said in the past, but not liking Clinton because of 30 years of Republican mud-slinging (and that's all it was) is nothing anybody should admit. It shows how much people respond to propaganda, and how misogynistic they are. Trump bragged about actual crimes and deeply offensive things. Hillary was "too aggressive" or "too weak to lead", even though those qualities are mutually exclusive.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 01:42 PM

If you're a Trump or a Clinton supporter, it natural that you can't see someone else disliking them. Whether one will admit it or not, Hillary came across to a lot of voters as being aloof, an elitist, haughty, a knew it all, that she knew what was better for the people than the people themselves knew what was good for themselves. That she deserved to win because she was Hillary.

Then Hillary compounded those attributes by being lazy, letting Trump both outwork and out campaign her big time. She came up with the most inept campaign strategy this side of G.H.W. Bush's 1992 campaign, even maybe surpassing the ineptness of G.H.W. She hid from the media, going over 200 days without a press conference, only going on shows like the view which supported her 100%. Trump was out front in the media every day. It was like Hillary thought she had the election in the bag and didn't have to work at it. She lost that fire in the belly.

Hillary caused her own defeat, had she gave it a half hearted try, she'd would have been president. The fact that both major parties chose candidates that were the most disliked and unwanted in our history wasn't their fault. It was our two major parties fault. It wasn't the Democrats didn't have advanced warning about Hillary. In a February 2016 56% of all Americans said they wanted the Democrats to nominate someone else other than Hillary Clinton. Of course all Americans don't choose the Democratic nominee, Democrats do. But lost on the Democrats in 2016 was the fact all Americans do choose who will be president in November.

Here's the list of all major party candidates favorable/unfavorable's going back to Eisenhower when Gallup and Pew Research started keeping track of these things. Look at who is at the bottom, what were the odds the the two most disliked and unwanted candidates would face each other in the same election? That has to be way up there.

Highest to lowest favorable/unfavorable ratings of each major party presidential candidate.
Favorable/unfavorable
1956 Eisenhower 84/12%
1964 LBJ 81/13%
1976 Carter 81/16%
1960 JFK 80/14%
1960 Nixon 79/16%
1968 Nixon 79/22%
1976 Ford 79/20%
1972 Nixon 76/21%
1968 Humphrey 72/28%
1984 Reagan 70/30%
1980 Carter 68/32%
1984 Mondale 66/34%
1980 Reagan 64/31%
1992 Bill Clinton 64/33%
2008 Obama 62/35%
2012 Obama 62/37%
1956 Stevenson 61/31%
2004 G.W. Bush 61/39%
2008 McCain 60/35%
1992 G.H.W. Bush 59/40%
2000 G.W. Bush 58/38%
2004 Kerry 57/40%
1996 Bill Clinton 56/42%
1988 G.H.W. Bush 56/39%
2000 Gore 55/45%
2012 Romney 55/43%
1972 McGovern 55/41%
1996 Dole 54/45%
1988 Dukakis 50/45%
1964 Goldwater 43/47%
2016 Hillary Clinton 38/56%
2016 Donald Trump 36/60%

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 04:26 PM

Say all you will about the numbers and historic precedence, Pero, Clinton still won the election.

2016 was a complete fluke and it won't be repeated.

And for what it's worth, Clinton knew what was better for the people than the people themselves knew. The people elected Trump after all.

What sort of horrible things did you think would happen if Clinton had been elected? My support for her was certainly not ideological. I keep my ideology and my actual expectations from government in two separate boxes. I knew Trump would be awful and it was obvious from the start...what is it about Clinton that you think makes her ineligible for the presidency?
Posted by: Irked

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 05:33 PM

Not answering for any particular person, just supplying the list of “faults” Clinton is perceived to embody:

1) (And most important) She’s a woman
2) She’s educated, well-read, and knowledgeable
3) She’s experienced
4) She is married to Bill
5) She’s “shrill” (i.e. she opines in public while female, an intolerable crime)
6) She speaks in complete sentences
7) She refuses to provide simple “solutions” to complex problems
8) She’s uppity - refusing to back down when one of her betters (any man) disagrees with her
9) She’s well-off (and being an uppity, shrill woman, those riches could only have been amassed illegally)
10) She once said she didn’t have time to bake cookies (Real Women love to bake cookies. Saying she has better things to do with her time is a slap in the face to every woman in America.)

As one can see, the list is long and all a voter needs to do is to adhere to one of them to disqualify her for any position, much less president.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 05:58 PM

Here is another ad from the Lincoln project (just trying to put it all together)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1282104708308635648

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 07:15 PM

Isn't saying that Clinton knew what is best for the people than the people themselves kind of elitist? I know most politicians think that way. The partisans from both sides also. But it's like I said earlier, if the Democrats had paid attention to what the people were thinking, wanting or should I say not wanting, they would have won easily. The Democrats choose a candidate that 56% of all Americans didn't want, at least according to that February 2016 poll. The words the non-affiliated, swing voters, independents used to describe Hillary was elitist, aloof, fake, arrogant, superior, disdainful. Of course the words used to describe Trump was obnoxious, uncouth, childish, bully, disgusting and a few more. So it isn't any wonder why 54% of all independents disliked and didn't want neither candidate to become president.

Like everyone else, I assumed an easy win for Hillary. But I didn't anticipate her being so lazy letting Trump both outwork and out campaign her 116 campaign visits, stops, rallies to Clinton's 71. That 71 looks larger than what it was as it included fund raisers to deep blue California and New York.

What was even more amazing was that Hillary Clinton raised and spent 1.191 billion dollars on her campaign to Trump's 646.8 million.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

This was the first since 1964 when the candidate with the most money lost. What's worse, the money game wasn't even close as Hillary had an almost 2-1 advantage in money. By the way, in 1964 Goldwater raised and spent 12 million to LBJ's 10 million.

Yes, 2016 was a fluke. Everything had to go perfect for Trump to win. The earth, moon, the sun, the planets and even galaxies had to align perfectly. They did. Thanks to Hillary's laziness and her very inept campaign strategy which I didn't address.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 07:24 PM

I didn't say voters didn't dislike or distrust Hillary. I was talking about WHY they disliked and/or distrusted her. You keep on posting numbers that are pointless. Everybody can look up the numbers. They say nothing about their motives.

It's like you post poll numbers that show the majority of White people don't like Blacks, while I'm posting about racism. There is a higher issue: People should be ashamed. They let a lot of idiotic things affect their judgement, and they got the huge disaster that is Trump. Now the very Republic is in danger and we are the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/12/20 10:40 PM

Okay, I'll leave it as such. The fact was Hillary was very much disliked and not trusted especially by independents. To me, why is irrelevant. Any political analyst worth his salt would have recognized this fact, I assume the Democratic Party has a bunch of those. Especially after the February poll and gave thought to who might have a better chance of winning.

And you like to blame the voters, it isn't that the voters didn't register their distrust and dislike way before the primaries began. All voters, not just Democrats. All voters decide November elections, perhaps they should have been taken into account.

I know the GOP didn't. so the Democrats follow suit. But we're in changing times. No longer does the Democratic Party control 40% of the electorate and out number Republicans by 6-8 points. Now, in today's new political reality, both parties must take into or should I say should take into considering on how independents view their choice of candidates. Independents are a rising phenomena that will decide more and more future elections.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/13/20 12:30 AM

Quote:
Hillary was very much disliked and not trusted

Hillary was also America's most admired woman 17 years running. Odd that Americans would choose a woman they very much disliked and did not trust for that honor.

You've said many times that you would not, could not vote for her or Donald Trump...and you've listed tons of reasons why other people didn't vote for her...even though she won by 3 Million votes.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what you thought would happen if she had been elected. And why do you think Biden will do anything differently.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/13/20 01:30 PM

In case you couldn't tell by now, I'm not very ideological. I'm certainly not a partisan Republican nor a partisan Democrat. I don't hate nor love Trump either. I think he is a disgusting individual, but I have supported some of his policies and opposed others just like every other president in my lifetime. If I don't like either major party candidate, I have no qualms voting third party against both. I first voted in 1968 when one had to be 21 and have cast a ballot for a third party candidate five times in presidential elections. Only twice was I an avid supporter of a third party candidate, that was in 1992 and 1996. The other times it was more or less a vote against both. I was perfectly happy to let others decide who was their lesser of two evils.

I always disliked Hillary ever since she was first lady who treated the military in and around the White House like s***. Bill treated them very good and respected them. Not Hillary. This stuck with me. It's why Bill is one of the top four president's in my life time even though I never voted for him.

Even then Hillary was acting like she was just too darn good to be around the military. Too, I don't know, aloof, elitist, superior to associate or even be around them. That stuck with me. It's the same for Trump when he basically said that McCain was a bad soldier because he got caught. Something akin to that. From that point on, there was no way I'd ever vote for him regardless of who he was running against. 2016 just happened to pit these two against each other.

Hillary was never liked by the military, active, retired. The reasons vary, but for us old vets, it can be traced back to the time she was first lady who at that time was very disdainful of the military. As someone who's been military his entire life, 21 years active duty, 26 additional years working for the army as a department of the army civilian, there's no way I could vote for either one.

Call it personal where policy never entered into it. I would have voted for any other Democrat which in 2016 against Trump except Hillary. I was even rooting for Sanders to beat Hillary in the primaries so I could vote for him. The same goes for any other Republican against Hillary with the lone exception of Trump. I was perfectly happy to let others decide who the the candidate they least wanted to lose, not win, but least wanted to lose win the office as long as I had a say in the down ballot offices. There's no way I was going to help either one get elected, I was going to do everything I could to stop both. Even though I knew that was a fools errand.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/13/20 04:25 PM

Okay, it's personal. I can respect that. You think she's uppity.

I never got that impression about her, but then I'm not particularly tuned into that kinda stuff. I'm all about policy. And I want that policy to advance the rights of working class citizens.

Soldiers, sailors, and marines are working class citizens. overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated. Conscripted proles for the most part.

Tools of the bourgeoisie, with a directive from the aristocracy.

It's not a bad career, pay's not great but the work is steady.

Like every other job, that one should start at $15 an hour.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/13/20 06:28 PM

Now we are getting somewhere! It was personal animosity. Some people can overcome that, and vote for the good of the country. Not respecting the military, versus pussygrabbing child-rapist who's best buddy is Putin.

Okay. Not a decision I would make, but each person gets to decide what's important to them.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/13/20 07:12 PM

One of the major sins of a political party is when they stop talking to anybody that is a member of that party to the exclusion to all else. Right now that's the way both parties are acting. I don't think that anybody can actually say the members of the current Republican party give a damn about somebody who is not a Trumpist/Republican. I fear that the Democrats also seem to listen to each other rather than outsiders.

This is unfortunate and another indication of the "Not Give an Inch" and "My Way or the Highway" politics of each side. If the Dems do win, however, they are going to be, I think, deluged by many not exactly on the Dem radar right now. My fond hope is that this will break it all up and get us back to two sides talking it over.

We will, of course, in the fullness of time............

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 12:07 AM

I get the impression Biden doesn't wish all Republicans dead in the way Trump wishes all Democrats dead. He's old school, from back when Democrats and Republicans in Congress actually struck up friendships and socialized.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 12:25 PM

One of the major sins of a political party is when they stop talking to anybody that is a member of that party to the exclusion to all else. Right now that's the way both parties are acting. I don't think that anybody can actually say the members of the current Republican party give a damn about somebody who is not a Trumpist/Republican. I fear that the Democrats also seem to listen to each other rather than outsiders.

This is unfortunate and another indication of the "Not Give an Inch" and "My Way or the Highway" politics of each side. If the Dems do win, however, they are going to be, I think, deluged by many not exactly on the Dem radar right now. My fond hope is that this will break it all up and get us back to two sides talking it over.

I think Biden's history of trying to work across the aisle, at least as a senator and brokering the deal to end the government shutdown as VP with McConnell is one of the main reasons I'm backing him. I'm also so sick and tired of this modern era of politics of polarization and ultra high partisanship.

I think what you say is why a majority of Americans have an unfavorable view of both major parties, Democratic Party 56% unfavorable, Republican Party 61% unfavorable. This is why I think both parties are shrinking and independents are rising, from 30% in 2006 to 40% today of the electorate. Neither party represents them anymore.

The numbers, from 2006 the democratic party has dropped from 37% of the electorate down to 31%. The GOP from 31% down to 25%.

This was the time when both parties went to their very partisan leaders who replaced leaders who respected each other and for the most part were willing to work with each other. In the Senate, Lott and Daschle gave way to Reid, McConnell and now Schumer. Which gave us the nuclear option, my way or the highway. I could never envision Lott and Daschle, Mitchell and Dole, even Baker and Robert Byrd even thinking of it.

I'm probably living in the past, cooperation and respect between major parties probably will never return to what it once was. If you go back through history, you'll find there were very few party line votes pre-2006. If there were, they were a rarity. Now it's the norm.
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 02:36 PM

Why on Earth would you talk to republicans after the last several years?

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 04:31 PM

Hmm, I think this polarization and ultra high partisanship has gone to the heads of both major parties. Being a numbers guy, I thought to look at the average approval given to each president by the opposing party.

Trump 8% by Democrats so far.
Obama 15% by Republicans for his two terms/
G.W. Bush Second term approval by Democrats 11%. With 9-11 happening Bush's first term approval was 40% by Democrats. Prior to 9-11 Bush's approval by Democrats was 26%.
Bill Clinton averaged 33% approval by Republicans
G.H.W. Bush averaged 35% approval by Democrats for his 4 years.
Reagan 34% for both terms by Democrats.
Carter 32% by Republicans for his single term.
Ford 35% by Democrats for his little more than a year in office.
Nixon 42% for his first term by Democrats, 15% for his Watergate shorten 2nd term.
LBJ 44% by Republicans
JFK 48% by Republicans
Eisenhower 52% by Democrats

So prior to G.W. Bush all previous president had an opposing party approval of at least in the 30's with IKE, JFK, LBJ and Nixon's first term, above 40%. It seems to me, numbers wise the polarization and ultra high partisanship we have existing today between the two major parties began with and during G.W. Bush' presidency.

I think that during IKE's, JFK's, LBJ's and Nixon's first term, their high opposing party's approval rating can probably be traced to an era when both major parties had their conservative and liberal wings. Prior to the shedding of their unwanted wings. Then for the president's in the 30's, each party still had a large share of moderates which each party began getting rid of in the early 2000's. This coincides with party affiliation and the rise of independents which the more moderate factions have become.

From IKE through Nixon's first term, the two major parties share of the electorate ranged from 75-80% with independents making up between 20-25%/ Beginning with Nixon's second term until G.W. Bush the two major parties averaged between 65-70%. Beginning in 2005 the share of the electorate between the two major parties has dropped to between 55-60% with independents climbing to a high of 40% today. This coincides with the Republicans moving to the right and the Democrats to the left of the political spectrum.

Which brings me to an old saying during Eisenhower era. Who exactly said it, I don't know, but it stuck in my mine. When the question was asked what the Republican Party believed in as to the GOP being known as the conservative party even back then. The answer was, the same as the democratic party, only a little bit less. Perhaps back then there really wasn't that much difference between parties, ideological wise that is. There probably was much more differences in the Democratic party with their southern conservatives and northern liberals than between the Democratic party and the Republican party as a whole.

Something to think about.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 05:29 PM

Quote:
It seems to me, numbers wise the polarization and ultra high partisanship we have existing today between the two major parties began with and during G.W. Bush' presidency.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the impeachment of president Clinton and the suspicious nature of Bush's appointment to the presidency drove a wedge between the two parties.

Donald Trump has now driven them so far apart that you can forget about anything happening across the aisle for a generation to come.

Even a medical emergency becomes a political pissing contest.

Call me a partisan if you will, but as far as I'm concerned it has been the Republican party which has instigated the whole mess. Sticking its hands into every gaping wound and pulling it open further.

Owning the libs has become the only goal. The only good democrat is a dead democrat. McConnel has already announced that he will stop anything and everything Biden attempts to pass.

Armed Republican militiamen stormed the Democratic held Michigan statehouse with impunity, yet a black child is shot for playing with a toy gun.

Reach across the aisle you say? It is dirty over there, it doesn't wash its hands or wear a face mask. It puts children in cages. It shoots black teenagers in the back. It doesn't care about the environment or whether children get fed. I'm not sticking my hand into that mess and no other Democrat will either.

If they reach across and ask to be pulled from the mire I might give them a hand though.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 08:01 PM

It really started with newt gingrich. If you google him you will get a lot of stuff like:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

Virtually everybody pretty much agrees he is the beginning of the real poison that now grips all of congress.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 09:29 PM

The impeachment of Bill Clinton, certainly. Perhaps it was the Hastert rule, post Gingrich because the Republicans in the house thought Newt was too soft on Bill Clinton and the Democrats. They fired him.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/14/20 11:05 PM

It's really that some people have figured out that they can lie, steal, cheat, molest women and children, commit voter suppression, commit voter fraud, tamper with witnesses, and obstruct justice with impunity, and nothing much will happen to them. And then they win elections. Apparently because enough voters think moral character is obsolete.

So America turns into a Third World Sh*thole Country, because that's what we deserve.

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/15/20 12:30 AM

Quote:
So America turns into a Third World Sh*thole Country, because that's what we deserve.

That seems to be the gist of it. Think of it as a sort of Banana Republic...

Re: What's the Democratic Party doing? - 07/15/20 07:05 PM

"Banana Republic" - we are responsible for that too. What I have never understood is why in the world would anybody believe us and take our word? In every war we have been involved in, I have watched us abandoned our allies, and translators and, in the Vietnam thing whole tribes of people. When we go to 'help' a nation its a miracle if anybody is left! We helped Iraq, for instance and only a few hundred thousand were left dead. If I was a religious person I might think that its all coming home to roost. The embarrassing thing is that we are doing it to ourselves! We are currently making sure that we create a national Covod-19 epidemic that just may reach the flu of 1917 (or 1918 according to the Jackass).

I have told my kids about all of this and am convinced they don't believe a word of it, ie. "Dad's going off again!". One thing the Donald has done is to make the above stuff more believable. The possible interesting part is that the above is what we have done to others. The list of what we have done to ourselves is longer. I sense that the entire rest of the world is watching our behavior with amazement and wonder. We are an empire with our over 800 bases in 70 nations, other than ours. We have the greatest modern day empire the world has ever seen and our wealth staggers imagination. In spite of all of this we don't even talk about it. Its just taken for granted. I have always thought most of this stuff was a little strange. I think that is because we really don't think of that when we consider who and what we are.

Anyway............