Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?

Posted by: logtroll

Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 01/26/20 01:20 PM

I have a very distinct memory of a grade school teacher (maybe 5th grade?) telling the class that growth is essential to a healthy economy. That confused me, it didnít make sense, though I canít imagine what intellectual basis I could possibly have had at that age. My normal state in school was as a sponge and information was water, critical thinking was many years away from being on my mental menu. Perhaps it was the idea that something could grow forever without limits. She also said that inflation was necessary for economic health.

These days I think that endless economic growth is a cancerous concept, a flawed theory that underpins our lemmings run to the destruction of not only human society, but the planet.

We probably canít change it intentionally, given the widespread psychological disorders of humanity, but I like to think that some seeds of a better way can be planted before hitsfan .

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 01/26/20 01:27 PM

Posted by: Greger

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 01/26/20 11:51 PM

The lemming film was faked. Just like Epstein, they did not kill themselves.

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 01/27/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger

Well, since it was faked, it makes it a perfect metaphor for the Trump Administration! tonbricks
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 01/27/20 02:56 PM

Marlon Perkins stampeded them off a cliff with a bulldozer once, since they wouldn't oblige him by running off on their own when the cameras were rolling.

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/13/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl

Marlon Perkins stampeded them off a cliff with a bulldozer once, since they wouldn't oblige him by running off on their own when the cameras were rolling.

I had an epiphany, a lemmings epiphany.

We love to use the example of lemmings jumping off a cliff and killing themselves as a metaphor for a certain class of dumbshit human behaviors. But what if we are looking through the wrong end of the glass (another metaphor), and it was the inexplicable human behaviors that created a need for the lemmings metaphor, so it was made up to serve the purpose? As a metaphor, is it necessary for it to be true to serve its purpose?

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/13/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: logtroll

I had an epiphany, a lemmings epiphany.

We love to use the example of lemmings jumping off a cliff and killing themselves as a metaphor for a certain class of dumbshit human behaviors. But what if we are looking through the wrong end of the glass (another metaphor), and it was the inexplicable human behaviors that created a need for the lemmings metaphor, so it was made up to serve the purpose? As a metaphor, is it necessary for it to be true to serve its purpose?

I prefer the reality, in which lemmings charge off of the cliff in response to gargantuan and monstrous forces that they cannot understand or resist.

It's far more relevant in the current political climate.

Bearing in mind, of course, that just because they are hapless victims doesn't mean that they aren't small-minded vicious bastards themselves.

So while a metaphor does NOT have to be accurate to be useful, the accurate version is usually MORE useful.

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/13/20 10:09 PM

Dudes...that's some deep..uh..thinking.

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 12:37 AM

Dudes...that's some deep..uh..thinking.

Yowzer!
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: logtroll

Hmm, coincidence or something other? Just yesterday, I used this singer and song in an email to both of my Senators about the Vote on President Donald (...) Trump's* War Powers.

*Impeached

eek2 :applaud:

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
Hmm, coincidence or something other? Just yesterday, I used this singer and song in an email to both of my Senators about the Vote on President Donald (...) Trump's* War Powers.

Whatever war you thinking?
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 04:07 PM

Senate votes to limit Trumpís military authority against Iran

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 04:23 PM

It's so cute when the senate pretends that they're still relevant.

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/14/20 05:26 PM

Quote:

Pravda.

As soon as Trump wants war they'll roll over on their backs.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/15/20 01:17 AM

Hell, he won't even tell them to roll over. He knows the congress is irrelevant now. Congress has no one to blame but themselves for that.
Posted by: CPWILL

Re: Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for? - 02/18/20 11:37 PM

The Congress has realized that, if they simply allow the Executive to make all the decisions for them, they can't be held accountable when things go wrong (but can pose against it), while still claiming partial credit when things go well.