Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts

Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts - 03/14/20 02:54 AM

Former Judge (James Dannenberg) Resigns From the Supreme Court Bar

In a letter to Chief Justice John Roberts, he detailed why he’s lost faith in the court.

Quote:
The legal conservatism I have respected– that of, for example, Justice Lewis Powell, Alexander Bickel or Paul Bator– at a minimum enshrined the idea of stare decisis and eschewed the idea of radical change in legal doctrine for political ends.

I can no longer say that with any confidence. You are doing far more— and far worse– than “calling balls and strikes.” You are allowing the Court to become an “errand boy” for an administration that has little respect for the rule of law.

[...]

Quote:
It is clear to me that your Court is willfully hurtling back to the cruel days of Lochner and even Plessy. The only constitutional freedoms ultimately recognized may soon be limited to those useful to wealthy, Republican, White, straight, Christian, and armed males— and the corporations they control. This is wrong. Period. This is not America.
Posted by: CPWILL

Re: Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts - 03/14/20 03:02 AM

:lol: I'll admit, I don't know what to do with this other than laugh at it. What a drama queen maroon. :p
Posted by: Greger

Re: Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts - 03/14/20 03:09 AM

What is politics but drama played out with the lives of others?
Posted by: danarhea

Longtime member of SCOTUS Bar resigns in protest - 03/14/20 03:55 AM

A long time Conservative member of the Supreme Court Bar has just resigned. Read his letter to Justice Roberts at the link, as it is very poignant. There have been some very ethical Conservative justices in the past. Conservative justices gave us "Stare Decisis" and other important Constitutional concepts. The Roberts court is not among these esteemed justices. The Roberts court is merely a whore for the highest corporate bidder, and for the lunatic Fascist wing of the Republican party. When Democrats take over next January, their first order of business should be to pack the court and balance it to prevent more translations of the Constitution that would be more suited to Russia or Iran.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020...rts-letter.html
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts - 03/17/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: CPWILL
:lol: I'll admit, I don't know what to do with this other than laugh at it.

Certainly beats admitting there might be a problem.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: Judge James Dannenberg - resignation letter to Roberts - 03/17/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger
What is politics but drama played out with the lives of others?

Shakespeare?