'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him

Posted by: NW Ponderer

'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 08/30/18 03:54 PM

'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - CNN (WARNING: INCLUDES DASHCAM VIDEO)

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 08/31/18 10:01 PM

I told my son about this, and his response was...so? He was a dumbass. Now there's one less dumbass.
Posted by: Greger

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 01:12 AM

My opinion exactly.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 03:53 AM

He was stalking his ex-girlfriend, he threatened to beat up or shoot the Uber driver on the phone for no reason at all, he was a reckless driver who attempted to cause a crash, and he then came at the driver threatening to shoot him. One less violent moron. I wonder how many other people that driver saved, when he pulled the trigger.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 02:18 PM

Yet another service Über has provided.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 06:15 PM

And so you see. Democrats are not entirely "anti-guns". And every shooting is not alike.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger
And so you see. Democrats are not entirely "anti-guns". And every shooting is not alike.

The American "gun culture" set the stage to settle problems with guns (the root of the gun violence problem, imo), but the situation did support the Uber guy's actions of self defense.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/01/18 09:23 PM

Stand Your Ground does not even apply in his case. He was defending himself AND his passenger. Who knows what the guy would have done to her, when he discovered she was not his ex. He told somebody he was going to shoot the Uber driver, for no reason what so ever.

This is really a case of domestic abuse, but the abuser's plan went awry. I'm sure he was laying-in-wait for his ex to leave the bar so he could attack her or kidnap her out in the parking lot. The presence of an Uber car seemed like it foiled his plans. Even without the Uber car and the other drunk woman, it probably would have ended with him shot by the police. This way, nobody else got hurt.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/03/18 02:01 AM

This actually IS a case that Stand Your Ground was meant for. Pretending to be afraid for your life just so you can shoot a black person is NOT standing your ground.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/04/18 02:13 AM

I'm just saying, that even in a state without Stand Your Ground, this would be Defense of Another. He couldn't run away and leave his drunk passenger to this hothead. She was defenseless. I think that's why almost everybody approves, even if they are against the idea behind Stand Your Ground.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/04/18 07:15 AM

What it really demonstrates is that "stand your ground" is a stupid, unnecessary law.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/04/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
What it really demonstrates is that "stand your ground" is a stupid, unnecessary law.

There are lots of stupid and unnecessary laws on the books. That this one literally legalizes murder makes it particularly egregious. Seems like "self defense" is all the legal recourse a person would ever need in cases where it applies.

Re: 'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him - 09/05/18 12:52 AM

The most idiotic thing about it, is that both people in a confrontation could see the other was armed, claim to fear for their life, and shoot the other person. One person would be dead, and one person would claim "Stand Your Ground". The dead guy can't tell the court that he was afraid too. So the better shot walks free.

Is that supposed to be justice? Some sort of weird Old West code that the person with the fastest draw must be right and just? That's just a way for lots of killers to be free to do it again. It does NOTHING to enhance public safety.