What's for dinner?

Posted by: pdx rick

What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 12:23 AM

Sunday, April 5th 2020

• Chicken Cacciatore
  • - Chopped tomatoes, garlic, tumaric, sweet onion, Chardonnay, mushrooms, sliced bell peppers
  • - Egg noodles
  • - Oven "fried" chicken
  • - Chopped italian parsley as garnish
  • Spinach Salad
  • - chopped egg
  • - sliced mushrooms
  • - chopped bacon
  • - warm Paul Newman's Family Italian Dressing

smile
Posted by: Greger

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 01:28 AM

Fettucini Alfredo with mussels and grilled asparagus.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 01:38 AM

Homemade lasagna and salad.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Greger
Fettucini Alfredo with mussels and grilled asparagus.

I love grilled asparagus!!! smile
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 11:32 AM

Sunday: Meat Loaf, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, gravy. Good old homemade fair.

Saturday: Italian Take Out - Penne Lobster; in a dolce vita mixed tossed in a brandy creamy tomato sauce, Shrimp Cremosi, salad.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/06/20 05:52 PM

In these dreary lonely times we should never forget the most important meal of the day...

Breakfast!

Cajun style shrimp and grits, eggs laid this morning, homemade bread fried in garlic infused olive oil.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/07/20 12:29 AM

Bean soup with ham. Just printed out a recipe, so we don't forget anything.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/07/20 04:12 AM

BLT tonight. I'm rationing tomatoes so it was a glorious splurge.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/07/20 08:12 AM

I remember tomatoes. Sigh... We are trying to stick to canned stuff from the pantry until I can get some antibody tests to make sure we are safe. Still have a lot of corned beef hash and chile. Why the hell didn't I buy some beef stew! Getting real damned tired of corned beef hash and chile.

We can actually buy a bunch of stuff and have it delivered to the porch, where it would stay for a few days. But my wife is extra careful. Refrigerator is on it's last legs, too. Lucky we have a new little dorm room style fridge as well we have fired up. I'm going to miss the ice maker.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/07/20 11:51 AM

In these dreary lonely times we should never forget the most important meal of the day...

Breakfast!

Cajun style shrimp and grits, eggs laid this morning, homemade bread fried in garlic infused olive oil.

Chez Greger's

You could probably charge $22.00 for that meal. smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/09/20 01:28 AM

Pork chop sandwich, Ritz crackers with guacamole, and a pickle spear.

Black coffee.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/09/20 01:47 AM

Cooked a turkey on the Charbeque last night, had that with mashed taters ‘n gravy and a salad tonight.

A CO2 drawdown dinner!

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/09/20 06:43 AM

Went on Walmart.com today and was stunned to see my local store has no-contact delivery to your porch! I reserved a time slot for Saturday, and then proceeded to order about $200 dollars of staples and canned goods. Then I went to pay and Chase denied my transaction. I called Chase and got them to allow it. Went back to Walmart and tried to pay again but they claimed my security code did not match. (It did.) Then they said my delivery time slot was no longer available and they had none left for today or tomorrow. They would not even give me the option of Saturday, and said try tomorrow.

They actually changed their website while I was ordering! Nice. At least Home Depot accepted my order for a new fridge delivered on April 15th. We'll see if they can actually do it. Won't have any food to put in it, but it would be nice to go in the kitchen and not hear death throes from the appliances.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/09/20 03:30 PM

Woke up at 5 AM to get in the morning phone queue with Walmart grocery customer support. (7 AM Central Time) A very nice lady helped me pay for my order and schedule a pickup on Sunday. Which is very convenient because I will go there in a pickup truck, so they can put my gigantic order in the back.

Now the question is how much do you tip a guy for shopping for you and bringing it out to your truck? I am also rather curious about exactly what they will give me. Several of their website items sold out while I was ordering. They probably get more in by Sunday. I also checked the "substitute similar items" box. It's sort of grocery roulette. I hope I don't get canned asparagus. I hate that stuff, although I love fresh asparagus steamed with butter. Have not found sacks of flour and yeast anywhere yet.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/09/20 04:44 PM

King Arthur Flour is still shipping as far as I know. Amazon might have it too. I had just opened a 1 pound bag of yeast and stocked up on flour before this all turned into a nightmare.
The lack of yeast has started a huge sourdough craze, but sourdough requires a lot of feeding so the discards will eventually eat into your supply of flour. They make great pancakes though.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/10/20 11:22 PM

Nicoise Salad
  • Romaine lettuce
  • - Paul Newman's Itailian Family Dressing with a tablespoon of dijon mustard
  • - 1/4 tsp of shallots
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Blanched whole green beans
  • Flaked white tuna
  • Red potatoes
  • Kalamata olives
  • Sliced hard-cooked egg

smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/10/20 11:52 PM

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/10/20 11:57 PM

I'm thawing out some soup I had in the freezer from happier days.

I'm hoping the flavour of better times will come through.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/10/20 11:59 PM

What is dinosaur leg? Hmm

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 12:25 AM

King Arthur Flour is still shipping as far as I know. Amazon might have it too.

Not available on Amazon.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 12:28 AM

I'm thawing out some soup I had in the freezer from happier days.

I'm hoping the flavour of better times will come through.

We've still got four days of mashed taters, spinach, and turkey. More lasagna in the freezer after that.

No shortage of eggs - still giving most of them away to neighbors.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

What is dinosaur leg? Hmm

I have no idea, possibly some sort of large Australian bird?

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 01:19 AM

KIng Arthur doesn't have any either.

Looks like I'm rationing that too. I can mix in some older AP flour and white wheat I've got laying around to stretch the bread flour. I've got a full 5 pounds of White Lily self rising flour. But that's best used for scones and such. It's soft winter wheat and the protein is so low that it's practically gluten free.

There's a few blueberries ripening so blueberry scones might become the bread ration for a few days.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 01:28 AM

Quote:
No shortage of eggs - still giving most of them away to neighbors.

My little flock is perfectly balanced right now. They produce exactly how many I use. I very rarely get a dozen ahead and I never ever run out.

Have you tried making raamen eggs Loggy, it's great having those in the fridge because they're good with everything. Basically a soft boiled egg pickled in Mirin and soy sauce. The yolk turns into jammy wonderfulness.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 01:37 AM

I will give that a try...
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 01:50 AM

I just made a sandwich out of General Tso's Chicken, and my wife is looking at me like I'm a barbarian.

What? It's not even real Chinese food. It's the hot dog of Asian cuisine.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 12:53 PM

I got me a hankerin’ fer some possum stew...

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 05:51 PM

As game meats go, 'possum is surprisingly good. The fat is sweet and not gamey like raccoons or squirrels. Armadillo is excellent too if you live in a region where they are plentiful. Gopher turtles, though difficult to butcher and extremely illegal to harvest now, were once a staple here. Alligator isn't especially good to eat but they are plentiful and similar to wild pork.
Snakes are starting to crawl now too as the weather warms up and a good fat rattlesnake will provide a lot of protein.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 06:43 PM

We have a great resource here in the local feed store. They are driving 9 hours to bring in chicks and have a waiting list 100 deep for people who want them. People are coming in from LA to buy them. I'm not sure what parts of LA lets you raise chickens, but everybody wants to be self-sufficient now. Their list is so long, my wife is considering ducks. Apparently, there are some breeds that lay almost every day and just walk away from their nests. So you don't have to fight them for their eggs. I keep telling her she has to plant a garden and protect it from the dogs and coyotes before we get chickens. Ducks need that plus a pond, too.

I wonder what duck eggs taste like?

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 07:09 PM

Just like chicken eggs.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 07:09 PM

Saturday April 11, 2020

• Stuffed Bell Peppers
  • - Bell Peppers
  • - Brown Rice
  • - Ground Lean Beef
  • - Grilled Asparagus
  • - Cherry Tomatoes
  • - Garlic
  • - Onions
  • - Cheddar Cheese
smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 07:44 PM

I think you're crazy not to have chickens if you can have them. I get more than half my protein from eggs, they contain all nine essential amino acids and a bevy of vitamins and nutrients.

When I move to town the first thing I'll do is build a chicken coop, most towns allow small flocks now as long as certain requirements are met. No roosters though...I'll miss roosters...said no one ever.

All ya gotta do is fence them off a section and build or buy a coop.

If they have enough room to forage you hardly even have to feed them

Chickens are probably like toilet paper right now. My chicken lady usually has daily offerings but her Facebook has gone quiet.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 07:56 PM

Rick, do you plan your meals out like a lunchlady?

I have no idea yet what I'm having but I think it's gona be fried chicken, or maybe just a salad...

Or maybe...a fried chicken salad!

With bacon.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/11/20 09:55 PM

I spoke too soon about my chicken lady. She says...

Originally Posted By: A Fowl Business
We have three week old female chicks! Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Polish (including frizzle), Mille Fleur d'Uccles (including frizzle), Blue Andalusians and Cochingtons. Boys too.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 05:54 AM

Naw mang...like yesterday, I woke up and Nicoise salad came to mind. And I thought...sounds good for dinner. Hmm

smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 06:00 AM

...but I think it's gona be fried chicken, or maybe just a salad...

I pulled some chicken out of the freezer today, but it wouldn't be thawed until tomorrow night (Sunday) for dinner.

So I needed to think fo something for tonight's meal, and I happened by the frozen section at the store today, I saw the Stouffers stuffed bell peppers and I thought I could do that and make it myself.

I pulled up the recipe on my new smart phone while at the store, saw a Food Network recipe and started following that. The Food Network recipe called for zucchini and I knew I had asparagus in the 'fridge at home, so I would sub grilled asp for zucchini.

I was inspired by Ina Garten being on News Hour last night when she said to use whatever you have in the 'fridge and pantry and don't be scared to make substitutions.

...and now you know the rest of the story. smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 02:10 PM

My Momma, rest her soul, was a lunch lady, too.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 03:19 PM

Quote:
If they have enough room to forage you hardly even have to feed them

That's why I want to put in a vegetable garden, so the chickens have some place to forage. We get plenty of bugs here. Might as well have something that can convert them to useful protein. Serendipity! The only thing I would not like is killing them when they retire from laying. I killed far too many animals back when I worked in medical research. Now, I don't even kill spiders I find in the house. Besides, I get Foster Farms chicken breasts for $0.99 / lb on sale and put a pile in the freezer after cooking. So I don't really need the meat. I get eggs for <$1 / dozen at Aldi's so chickens may not pencil out. Thanks for the scoop on duck eggs, Greger.

Dinner last night: Cleaning out the freezer because the fridge is failing slowly. Freezer has stopped making ice and I notice the stuff is starting to get a bit soft. New refrigerator delivered on Wednesday. Meanwhile I had a big smoked sausage with barbeque sauce and saurkraut, and stringbeans on the side.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
...stringbeans on the side.

Stringbeans were part of the Nicoise salad I made on Friday. I blanched the stringbeans in hot water for 4 mins, then cooled immediately with running cold water. They came out slightly firm and really sweet.

smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/12/20 06:18 PM

Quote:
That's why I want to put in a vegetable garden, so the chickens have some place to forage.
You gotta fence 'em out of the vegetable garden! They'll strip every plant to bare stems. They don't just eat bugs y'know! It's like letting your foxes in the henhouse to forage.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 12:04 AM

Quote:
That's why I want to put in a vegetable garden, so the chickens have some place to forage.
You gotta fence 'em out of the vegetable garden! They'll strip every plant to bare stems. They don't just eat bugs y'know! It's like letting your foxes in the henhouse to forage.

It is good to have them in the garden before you plant it. If you've mulched the area they will scratch it all in and eat all the bugs living in the mulch.

It takes a lot of area to keep them fed without additional feed. We have a pretty large lot with about 1/4 acre in non-built condition. They (6 hens) have it clean as a whistle after about six months. Even the rather large compost heap they worked through in short order. Now, whenever we are in the yard they are underfoot hoping we'll turn over a rock or something. And they talk, talk, talk all the time. Pretty enjoyable, if you're inclined that way.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 01:02 AM

The hens always need Layena available, it's laced with oyster shell to replace the calcium they lose making eggshells. I feed all the eggshells back to them too. Other than that I toss out corn twice a day for "treats". Squirrels eat most of it but they're kind of fun to have around too. My chickens roam free and spend most of their time scratching for bugs in the leaf litter in the woods.

By the way...Amazon has flour but only in 50 pound bags. They got yeast too.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 01:04 AM

Spaggy and Merbles!

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 07:04 AM

I have some flour and yeast on order for Wednesday pickup. Did you know there is enough yeast on wheat kernels that you can easily culture it. That's how sourdough starters work. You can also culture it from grapes or even raisins: That's why the black surfaces have a dusty coating. It's wild yeast. You just throw a few raisins in a sourdough starter culture and it's ready to use in a few days. You do have to remove a cup of starter and feed it another cup of flour, sugar, and water every day (or once a week in the fridge). The cup of starter you removed is perfect for making a loaf or two of bread.

It does require some attention on a regular basis, but the feeding process encourages you to make the bread. Otherwise you feel like a bad parent if you just trash the starter you removed.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 12:03 PM

Sunday, April 12, 2020
  • Oven "Fried" Chicken
  • - Panko crumbs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, chicken in a egg/milk bath cooked at 400F for one hour
  • Baked potato
  • Steamed broccoli
smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 05:52 PM

Quote:
Did you know there is enough yeast on wheat kernels that you can easily culture it.

Not if your flour has been bleached or bromated. Use King Arthur flour.

I've done the sourdough thing and it's a f*cking pain in the ass. I've been baking my own bread for more years than I can remember and it's a process you want to streamline as much as possible. Otherwise it will get to be a chore and you'll stop doing it.

Most people bake a few sh*tty loaves and give up. My everyday bread is as easy to make as a pot of coffee and turns out an excellent white loaf in whatever shape I choose. Gluten free bread isn't bread but it can be made to closely resemble it. Not by me though.

Yeast lasts for years so buy it by the pound. I keep it in a mason jar in the fridge.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/13/20 10:58 PM

As I said, on wheat kernels. Not on every flour, but I always prefer unbleached. I wish I could buy a big jar of yeast, but everybody is sold out around here. I got 20 pounds on order for tomorrow. Let's see if they actually have any in the store when they fill my order.

I really prefer yeast breads to soda breads. I can always taste the chemical nastiness of the baking powder.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/14/20 04:03 AM

I usually buy 2 pounds of yeast at a time. there's 2 1/2 cups of yeast in a pound. It last a long ass time.
If a person was running short, the no knead artisan bread only uses a quarter teaspoon. I don't care for it much though. It's got a hard crust and a weird crumb. I love the taste though, the long fermentation makes it taste great.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/14/20 12:17 PM

"no knead" sounds good. What's the recipe you use? One thing I have plenty of is time.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/16/20 09:45 PM

Top of my head it's three cups of AP flour, a cup and a half of water 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp yeast.

whisk the dry ingredients together and add the water, mix into a shaggy dough then put a lid on it and let it sit 18 hours, I do it in a big plastic bowl but I don't quite seal the lid so it can still breathe.

Next day you take it out and flour it so it can be handled because it's a wet sticky dough. You don't hafta knead it but to effectively make a nice cob loaf you need to stretch the corners out and fold them back in a few times to develop the gluten and form some tension within the loaf. Allow a couple hours for it to rise before the next step.

To bake it they want you to preheat a cast iron dutch oven to 450, pull that hot muther Phucker outa the oven and plop your risen dough into, and put it back in the oven and reduce the heat and something something.

It makes a super crusty loaf that requires a good bread knife to cut/saw into slices. The crumb(that's the inside of the loaf) is an unusual rustic texture that leaves a sticky residue on the knife.

It's absolutely delicious crusty rustic chewy crunchy bread that our ancestors for a thousand years ate every day. Baked in an iron pot over a fire. It's great with soups and stews and with winey cheesy stuff, but it aint everyday bread.
This method is probably adaptable to some gluten free recipes, I wouldn't know but it seems like...

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/18/20 09:24 PM

My raisin yeast culture is coming along. Some raisins are floating. No bubbles yet.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/18/20 11:53 PM

Saturday, April 18, 2020

• Oven "Fried" Chicken
  • - Panko crumbs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, chicken in a egg/milk bath cooked at 400F for one hour
  • Mashed red pots
  • -Butter, Sour Cream, 2% milk
  • Grilled Asparagus

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/19/20 12:08 AM

Sounds like strange science to me. Here's loaf of everyday bread.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/19/20 12:33 AM

Sounds like strange science to me. Here's loaf of everyday bread.

Looks like a giant, tan, blind slug. Great hot with a pat of butter.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/19/20 03:17 AM

Snails are good hot with a pat of butter too.

I can make them prettier but there's no point, it's just everyday bread. Soft white bread with a soft crust.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/20/20 01:24 AM

Sunday, April 19, 2020

• Tacos
  • - Crispy Corn Shell
  • - Ground seasoned 93% beef
  • - Chopped greens (spinach leaves, romaine lettus
  • - sliced cherry tomatoes
  • - Shredded sharp cheddar
smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/20/20 02:20 AM

I make my tacos a little different:

Pan-fried tortilla taco shells
Carnitas or beer battered fish filet
Feta cheese
avocado slices or guacamole if it's already made
mild salsa

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 02:43 AM

I opened a can of soup and made a salad.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 02:47 AM

fish stick tacos are da bomb!

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 03:00 AM

Fish stick tacos with coleslaw sounds good. smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 03:00 AM

Monday, April 20, 2020

Left overs Hmm

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 03:47 AM

Pork, mushroom, veggie shishkeboobs grilled on the Charbecue!

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 04:01 AM

I prefer the beer-battered frozen fish filets, like Gorton's. I cook them up and then slice them into thirds length-wise to go into the tacos. And coleslaw if it's already made, or just raw sliced cabbage. As good as Rubio's, and I've been eating their fish tacos since they only had one taco stand.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/21/20 04:04 AM

Tonight is beer brats, saurkraut, broccoli, and sweet potatoes.

I'm very happy: Just ordered a pound of yeast coming on Friday.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/22/20 01:07 AM

Tuesday, April 21, 2021
  • Chicken Cacciatore
  • - Chopped tomatoes, garlic, tumaric, sweet onion, Chardonnay, mushrooms, sliced bell peppers
  • - Egg noodles
  • - Oven "fried" chicken
  • - Chopped italian parsley as garnish
  • Sauteed brussels sprouts

smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/22/20 03:19 AM

Panko crusted porkchop, pan seared tomatoes and brussels sprouts, salat.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/22/20 04:24 AM

When is Chez Greger's opening again? If you were in Georgia, it would next Monday. crazy

Georgia = Home of human crash test dummies. coffee

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/23/20 02:42 AM

Chez Mark's Kitchen is always open. My clientele has shrunk dramatically though. I used to be able to count on as many as nine lesbian teens over the weekends and the whole extended coven over the Sabats. Only the old pellar stops by now asking for handouts.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/23/20 03:09 AM

Ritz crackers with pimento cheese, black coffee.

Two blueberry Eggos for desert.

It was a rationing day.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/23/20 04:05 AM

Beer brat with Jack cheese and mustard, in a hot flour tortilla. Coconut pudding and strawberries for dessert.

Had avocado chunks on Ritz crackers for lunch. We are very fortunate to have a few avocado trees ourselves, and an elderly neighbor with an orchard her husband planted long before he died. We get all the small avocados and nice cherimoyas we want. We also have an orange tree that has a lot of sweet oranges on it all year round.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/24/20 05:35 AM

My yeast arrived a day early from Utah, and this morning we found a bit of flour (5 lb max per customer) at the grocery store at 7 AM. So I am just eating my first slices of bread from my bread machine. Yum!

Nice to have the bread & toast option again after about a month without.

My wife sewed some high-quality masks yesterday. These are double-layer cloth with a filter insert pocket. That's why we have not gone into the grocery store until now. When you have to reserve a late pickup time slot, they are out of a lot of stuff you wanted.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/25/20 02:58 AM

I use a bread machine for mixing and kneading but I like to shape the loaf and bake it myself. I dropped close to $400 on groceries today. I forgot Buttermilk at Publix so I hadda swing by the poor people's store. I got the buttermilk and some chicken paws and pork tails. They had all sorts of wonderfoul Q-Rations! Canned pulled pork, can you imagine that? It's pretty good and there's enough for two sandwiches in the can. The chicken paws are for making bone broth, lots of collagen. After I simmer them for 24 hours I feed them to the chickens. The dog gets the pork tails.

I got five pounds of store brand flour. I find that I'm not snooty at all about flour when there's only one bag on the shelf.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/25/20 07:39 PM

Five bags on my grocery store shelf. Put two in the cart, but a guy restocking said one per household. It's general purpose, but actually has 10% protein, so it's almost bread flour. Makes a nice dense loaf that's easy to slice without tearing it up.

Had my first chicken salad sandwich in over a month yesterday.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/25/20 09:37 PM

There isn't a huge difference between bread and AP flour, both will bake bread, one isn't so good for pancakes. If you're just letting the bread machine do it's thing it won't matter a bit, the extra gluten comes in handy when you're shaping the loaf and building tension in it to make it pop. The spinner in the bread machine does it perfectly if you just leave it alone and let it bake the bread.

But I don't like those loaves, mostly I want a nice fat 18-20 inch loaf of French bread. A loaf that resembles a slug, or sometimes a manatee. A loaf that I can get a f*ck ton of slices from but a little too small for sandwiches.

You ever toss in a handfull of chopped dehydrated onions? If not DO IT! you might need to add an ounce of water but it makes great soft oniony bread.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/28/20 11:03 PM

Wish I had some of those onions, but all I have is onion powder. I have enjoyed onion bread before. I do have sunflower seeds, raisins, and flax meal. My wife is wheat intolerant, so I also have a bunch of weird stuff like almond flour.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/28/20 11:25 PM

I just put eight burgers in the sous vide with one side coated with the dehydrated chopped onions. They re-hydrate in the SV and I can make a pretty good imitation of a White Castle burger.

Pasteurized in the bag, they keep for weeks in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

Burgers and fries tonight with a salad...F*cking chicken got in the house and ruined all my tomatoes!

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/28/20 11:31 PM

F*cking chicken got in the house and ruined all my tomatoes!

What kind of a chicken?

We just got six new chicks. My wife's favorite chicken, a Cochin, suddenly got sick a week ago and died, which left is with five (Town code allows four). She was so distraught that she over-over compensated. The new chicks are in a tub in the bathroom under a heat lamp, rapidly turning into chickens. The neighbors are begging for eggs...

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/29/20 01:47 AM

Rhode Island Red. I generally go for the prolific layers, Blue Star hybrids are my favorite. I use two-three dozen a week. Neighbors can get there own god damn chickens.

Re: What's for dinner? - 04/30/20 04:10 AM

I really like those Rhode Island Red's brown eggs. They just seem to taste better.

Made some chicken salad tonight with canned chicken breast. Surprisingly good. You probably don't notice the nasty texture of the canned chicken when you mash it up with celery and mayo. On Ritz crackers it was outstanding. My wife made us some canned broccoli-cheese soup with fresh potatoes added. That was nice too.

Tomorrow, I will make potato salad with the extra potatoes.

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/01/20 12:19 AM

Blue Star hybrids are a cross between Barred Plymouth Rock and Rhode Island Reds. They lay a slightly larger egg and tons of them.

As far a flavor goes an egg's an egg's an egg. The flavor depends entirely on what they eat. Nutrition wise a pastured hen that can graze freely is far superior to a battery hen or cooped birds.

Honey Sriracha Chicken with rice and stir fried veggies.
Posted by: GreatNewsTonight

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/17/20 12:13 AM

Today was our anniversary. My amazing wife cooked a meal worthy of a Michelin-starred restaurant. It was simply delicious; professional chefs would have been envious.

Garden salad with herbs, from her hydroponic garden.
Maigret de canard with risotto alla piemontese and banana au gratin with crème fraîche (the dish is a sort of French/Italian combination of her own creation)
Condensed milk and dark chocolate-covered organic strawberries

The wine was an Argentinian Malbec called Tapiz, rated 94 by James Suckling.

I love this woman...

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/17/20 12:28 AM

Breakfast for dinner:
  • Blueberry pancakes made from Bisquick

smile

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/17/20 09:04 PM

Wow! Canard = duck, for the less European. Looks fantastic. I've got some cherry tomato and butter lettuce seeds coming. Have not seen any way to buy lettuce and decontaminate it. I can do hydroponic or just grow them in enriched soil. I also have peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, and pea seeds coming. Grown them all before. I can do it again.

Had a very nice passionfruit vine a few years ago, until the gophers got it. We actually sold some to a packing house. Still have a few avocados and an orange tree. Neighbor lets us pick her unused avocados and cherimoya. That cherimoya is fantastic, though few Americans even know what it is.

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/18/20 05:56 PM

GNT: That's a lovely duck breast! I'm jealous because I can't get them around here and have to break down a whole bird if I want just the breast.

Texas style smoked brisket, grilled asparugus, fried gnochi.

Peach cobbler for dessert made from U-Pick peaches just up the road.

Years ago I lost/forgot the recipe for the cobbler I grew up with. I've tried dozens of recipes since then and have never been able to duplicate it. A litle while back, this came through my newsfeed...

This is it folks! What cobbler was meant to be!

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/20/20 02:16 AM

GNT: That's a lovely duck breast! I'm jealous because I can't get them around here and have to break down a whole bird if I want just the breast.

Texas style smoked brisket, grilled asparugus, fried gnochi.

Years ago I lost/forgot the recipe for the cobbler I grew up with. I've tried dozens of recipes since then and have never been able to duplicate it. A litle while back, this came through my newsfeed...

Yes, that duck breast was just delicious and my wife got it just right, medium rare inside, and crispy and spicy outside.

This cobbler looks yummy!

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/21/20 02:34 AM

If you love duck let me tell you about something wonderful...

Rotisserie duck. Possibly the most rich and decadent fowl on the planet.

That cobbler ranks high on that scale too, I used French butter and soft winter wheat maybe a little past it's prime. But it's a depression era recipe.

Right now I've got some split pigs feet simmering with lots of onions and jalapenos and garlics and such in a rich bone broth I made a while back. It's turning into a vaguely Mexicanesque pork based French onion soup. I'll pick the meat from the feet and make little street tacos. Wish I had an avocado.
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/21/20 04:49 PM

Our neighbor's peach tree, which "suffers" from benign neglect, hangs over the wall and it currently has what I estimate to be about twenty pounds of small peaches and I am having difficulty getting my wife and daughter excited about the prospect of peach pie and peach cobbler.

Maybe I should ask you to move in with me and put Karen and Bri down in Florida.

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/21/20 08:51 PM

I'd have them motherf*ckers off the tree and in the oven so fast your head would spin. Typically those little peaches are super sweet and juicy!
Other than pealing the peaches this recipe is fantastic even for the novice cook. Thin skinned peaches can just be cut up without even peeling them. It can be made from drained canned peaches too.

Jeffery I can guarantee you...if you make the cobbler they will come.
It smells fabulous while it bakes, the chewy crunchy top is what dreams are made of and the dough soaks up all the wonderful peachy goodness that will take you back to the sweetest peaches and sweetest spring times of your life.

Cobbler is properly served warm with Ice cream. It's great left over but once it's covered it loses the crunchy top. I can eat a whole one in three days.

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/21/20 10:44 PM

I'd have them motherf*ckers off the tree and in the oven so fast your head would spin. Typically those little peaches are super sweet and juicy!
Other than pealing the peaches this recipe is fantastic even for the novice cook. Thin skinned peaches can just be cut up without even peeling them. It can be made from drained canned peaches too.

Jeffery I can guarantee you...if you make the cobbler they will come.
It smells fabulous while it bakes, the chewy crunchy top is what dreams are made of and the dough soaks up all the wonderful peachy goodness that will take you back to the sweetest peaches and sweetest spring times of your life.

Cobbler is properly served warm with Ice cream. It's great left over but once it's covered it loses the crunchy top. I can eat a whole one in three days.

The only reason I know ANYTHING about raising peaches or picking them is because of my crazy ex.

Linda grew up on the family farm, which happened to include the largest and most productive peach orchard on the East Coast. (Pennsylvania bordering with Maryland) and they provided fruit for something like twelve different supermarket chains up and down the Eastern US.

The farm is still a productive farm today, but the crazy ex-wife passed away about four years ago.
These are Yellow Freestone peaches, which are common to the Western US even though they can be grown almost any place you can grow peaches.

I used the term "benign neglect" because the neighbor doesn't water the tree or otherwise do much of anything, but perhaps the only penalty is the size of the peaches because that also means these lovely gems are as organic as it gets and free of all pesticides.

I'm going to start picking them tomorrow smile

Posted by: Ken Condon

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/22/20 01:20 AM

I really love her peaches wanna shake her tree......

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/22/20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon

Hey! I remember you! You're Maurice, the Space Cowboy.

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/22/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon

Trust me, it was a really really bad choice that I made. ROTFMOL
I'm surprised I even still like peaches!

Re: What's for dinner? - 05/24/20 08:18 PM

My amazing wife cooked today a seafood linguini (home-made pasta) with clams, shrimp, crab meat, calamari, and scallops, in a half-tomato, half fresh cream peppery sauce. This puts any good Italian restaurant to shame. We had a Prosecco Superiore with it. Dessert was a home-make coconut cake with freshly melted and warm dark chocolate.

This was to celebrate the reopening of our swimming pool, just in time for Memorial Day.