Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries

Posted by: NW Ponderer

Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 05:08 AM

Tesla has a rival, and that is great!
Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries. (Electek)
Quote:
Freightliner, Daimler Trucks North America’s semi truck brand, announced that it built its first two eCascadia all-electric semi trucks and it is going to start deliveries to customers.
Daimler, one of the world’s largest truck makers, has been feeling the pressure from Tesla’s electric truck — going as far as saying that if the claims Tesla is making about its electric semi truck are true, they are breaking the laws of physics.

The German truck manufacturer answered back with the launch of its own electric truck group along with the unveiling of two more electric trucks, including an electric version of their Cascadia to compete with Tesla Semi.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 07:03 AM

And then I saw this: [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/R35gWBtLCYg[/video]
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
And then I saw this: [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/R35gWBtLCYg[/video]

BwaaaHAHAHAHA, people have been turning passenger cars into pickups for ages. I used to know an old guy who rolled his own many years ago when I first moved to LA.
It was a 1963 Chevy Biscayne Wagon and he just turned it into a pickup truck just the way that lady did her Truckla (Tesla).

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 02:40 PM

It's not surprising Daimler is taking the leap.
After all if I am not mistaken, Daimler is the very first car company in the world, aren't they?
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 02:40 PM

Good video NWP. Txs

Elon should go talk to the lady. A Tesla Truck, what everyone needs and wants in one package. An electric vehicle and it is a truck: Americas favorite vehicle.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/15/19 02:58 PM

Not only do I adore Simone, that Truckla is badass. It reminds me of the Subaru Baja or Brat, and the Camino. I watched the whole build. Tesla really ought to think about that hard, as the mods would not be all that difficult, and it would broaden their market and allow them to test out the possibilities before their big pickup hits it.
Posted by: Greger

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/19/19 02:33 PM

Worlds Largest EV Never Needs To Be Recharged

Quote:
A quarry in Biel, Switzerland, is operating the world's largest electric vehicle, a 110-ton dump truck, to haul lime and marl off the side of a mountain to a cement factory. Perhaps best of all, it consumes no energy doing it.

How is that possible, you ask?

The dump truck, at 45 tons, ascends the 13-percent grade and takes on 65 tons of ore. With more than double the weight going back down the hill, the beast's regenerative braking system recaptures more than enough energy to refill the charge the eDumper used going up.

The Elektro Dumper—eDumper for short—made by Kuhn Schweitz, is based on a Komatsu HB 605-7: 30 feet long, 14 feet wide, and 14 feet tall. The tires are six feet high, and the dump bed reaches to more than 28 feet, fully raised.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/19/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger
Worlds Largest EV Never Needs To Be Recharged

Quote:
A quarry in Biel, Switzerland, is operating the world's largest electric vehicle, a 110-ton dump truck, to haul lime and marl off the side of a mountain to a cement factory. Perhaps best of all, it consumes no energy doing it.

How is that possible, you ask?

The dump truck, at 45 tons, ascends the 13-percent grade and takes on 65 tons of ore. With more than double the weight going back down the hill, the beast's regenerative braking system recaptures more than enough energy to refill the charge the eDumper used going up.

The Elektro Dumper—eDumper for short—made by Kuhn Schweitz, is based on a Komatsu HB 605-7: 30 feet long, 14 feet wide, and 14 feet tall. The tires are six feet high, and the dump bed reaches to more than 28 feet, fully raised.

As long as you're doing quarry truck work you're good to go!
By the way, these quarry trucks were, up till now already partly electric anyway because they are mostly "diesel-electric".
Posted by: Greger

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/20/19 01:49 AM

Yeah, they been doing trains like that for a while too. I just thought it truly remarkable that this huge machine can just run day in day out and never have to stop for fuel.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/20/19 02:11 AM

I have always wanted to try an enclosed water-generator system in my house, like a small version of Taum Sauk Mountain. I've seen designs for small creek-fed systems. The trick in my concept is storing the amount of water needed in the attic and basement.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/20/19 08:24 PM

The hard part is getting enough "head" for the turbine. The practical systems use a PVC water pipe from a creek-fed pond well above the turbine. It requires a parcel with water coming in at the high end and a powerhouse at the low end. Fortunately, it is easy and efficient to move electricity uphill from the powerhouse. I could actually do a closed power storage system: I have a parcel that drops several hundred feet over the 1200 foot length, and there are flat places at the top and bottom for water tanks. I have time-of-day rates and net metering. But I already have more solar panels than I need.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/20/19 09:51 PM

I actually thought marrying it with a solar system would be the trick to be completely self-contained, but when you already have solar...
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/21/19 06:21 AM

I have net metering with the power company, so the meter runs backwards during the day. So I don't need power storage. Well, not quite: They charge a lot more for power between 4 PM and 9 PM, so my solar credit is mostly during a time of day when they don't charge much. That way they avoid giving solar customers much credit. If I could store enough energy to send them a lot of power between 4-9, I would get a lot more. I think people are starting to do just that now.

You can even do it without solar! Just charge batteries (or pump water) when power is cheap, and then sell it back to them when it is expensive. There are also other ways to store energy: Like solar heat water during the day, and then use the heat during the expensive time. Cold is harder, but you can make up for inefficiency by getting more solar panels. Then chill water or make ice during daylight, and blow air across it during the expensive hours. There is even a scheme to run a motor to lift a heavy weight during cheap hours and then let gravity drive a generator during expensive hours.

Re: Daimler starts first Freightliner eCascadia all-electric semi truck deliveries - 08/21/19 03:01 PM

I wish I were an engineer.