To The
ReaderRant
Roundtable

August 7 thru 13

More Hot Jazz

Kansas City Style-1944

Historical News of Note

August 7, 1964
Prometheus, a bristlecone pine and the world's oldest tree, is cut down.

August 8, 1974
Watergate Scandal
: U.S. President Richard Nixon announces his resignation, effective the next day.

August 9, 1965
Singapore is expelled from Malaysia and becomes the first and only country to date to gain independence unwillingly.

August 10, 1628
The Swedish warship Vasa sinks in the Stockholm harbour after only about 20 minutes of her maiden voyage.

August 11, 1929
Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio.

August 12, 1883
The last Quagga dies at the Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam.

August 13, 1889
German Ferdinand von Zeppelin patents his Navigable Baloon.

Today, August 7, 2011
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter.

DOG DAYS

OF SUMMER

Are HERE

Some Like It HOT

This Is From My Garden!

Have a Great Week Everybody!

Posted by: Schlack

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 04:11 PM

Posted by: Scoutgal

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Schlack

ROTFMOL Recommended by Marcus Bachmann, no doubt!

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 06:06 PM

We are having a gorgeous day today, the sun is shining, we have clear skies, and it is not too hot. cool I just got back from church, and we will have an early lunch-fresh fruit salad, turkey sandwiches on artisan bread and iced tea. ThumbsUp
Posted by: Phil Hoskins

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 06:22 PM

This has been a very mild, even cool, summer up and down the west coast.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 07:55 PM

Just got back from changing the shadecloth on the greenhouse. It's not terrifically hot here in New Mexico, but at 6000' elevation, you could call the sun direct. I'm desperately seeking rehydration through consumption of a quantity of Mexican beer. grin

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 07:56 PM

The cool summer has helped to keep keep our electric bill down. But I have heard that it will be unseasonably warm this Fall, and with all the rain we had earlier this year, makes for a scary wildfire season. shocked

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Just got back from changing the shadecloth on the greenhouse. It's not terrifically hot here in New Mexico, but at 6000' elevation, you could call the sun direct. I'm desperately seeking rehydration through consumption of a quantity of Mexican beer. grin

I'll join you with a Corona and some lime wedges! Gaucamole and chips, anyone? ThumbsUp

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 10:08 PM

Quote:
An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there's a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. He is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, & ego.
The other is Good. He is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy, & truth."
The boy thought about it & asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?"
The old Cherokee quietly replied, "The one you feed."
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/07/11 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
We are having a gorgeous day today, the sun is shining, we have clear skies, and it is not too hot.

Scout, you really should notify me when you're in NorCal so we can "do" lunch. smile

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/08/11 01:05 AM

Rick~I haven't been north in over a year. ThumbsUp

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/08/11 11:24 PM

Dear Ranters,

Martha passed peacefully in her sleep early this morning. There are no funeral plans, but you may memorialize Martha by making donations to her alma mater, Hiram College. I know that she loved posting her with us, and we will miss her. And gratefully, her struggle with multiple sclerosis is over.

Love you, Martha-Rest In Peace
Posted by: Greger

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 12:51 AM

That's very sad. Poor Martha was so frail and so brave. When someone like her passes I find myself hoping that there really is a story-book Heaven, another chapter or perhaps a sequel to our stories that we cannot know until that last page has turned.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 12:53 AM

I agree Greger.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 02:36 AM

Greger and Phil~I have faith that there is. ThumbsUp

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 08:09 AM

Well said Greger
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 01:25 PM

Thank you for everything, Martha.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 07:37 PM

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 08:04 PM

Posted by: 2wins

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Dear Ranters,

Martha passed peacefully in her sleep early this morning. There are no funeral plans, but you may memorialize Martha by making donations to her alma mater, Hiram College. I know that she loved posting her with us, and we will miss her. And gratefully, her struggle with multiple sclerosis is over.

Love you, Martha-Rest In Peace
wow. well, it's strange, really. losing someone in this virtual world is sad. i can say that i have seen a photo of martha, so i have a general idea of what she looked like. i loved her stories and i loved talking to her on pm about writing. bon voyage, martha.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/09/11 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger
That's very sad. Poor Martha was so frail and so brave. When someone like her passes I find myself hoping that there really is a story-book Heaven, another chapter or perhaps a sequel to our stories that we cannot know until that last page has turned.
ThumbsUp

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 12:12 AM

Posted by: itstarted

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 01:49 AM

Bird Watcher Heaven - Alaskan Hummers

And with that, off to the lake to feed my own humming birds.
Haven't taught them to feed out of my hand yet, but they don't mind me standing next to the feeder... about two feet away. smile

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 01:33 PM

It's cold, dark, and rainy here this morning.
At 9:30Am it's only 77 degrees.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 01:57 PM

seventies and rainy is GOOD! one more hotter - not as hot as has been - day for us and then high temps drop into mid 80s for a while. Thank God! Low humidity, too.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: itstarted
Bird Watcher Heaven - Alaskan Hummers

And with that, off to the lake to feed my own humming birds.
Haven't taught them to feed out of my hand yet, but they don't mind me standing next to the feeder... about two feet away. smile
had a humming bird stuck inside my gallery once. didn't know what to do to get it out. i had opened the window, but it just didn't want to go. so i slowly walked up to it and it actually let me cup my hand around it, walk it to the window and let it go. that was one of those really incredible experiences.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 06:54 PM

It was bit cool and cloudy this morning in SoCal. Nothing like it gets up in Frisco, but it was a nice change of pace from the heat. The high is supposed to be in the mid eighties with low humidity. It's almost noon right now, and the sun is out. cool
Posted by: Sandune

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 06:54 PM

My kids are on a cruise in Alaska and I wonder if anyone was hurt when a glacier flipped close to the ship. Anyone have any news on this?
Posted by: numan

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 07:14 PM

'

What is this? ! Has everyone here suddenly turned into Englishmen and have nothing else to talk about than the weather?

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 07:14 PM

Sorry, Sandy. I didn't even know about the iceberg thing. Let me Google that and see what comes up.

*addendum*I could not find any reference on Google, or any news outlets. maybe later on. I hope your kids are safe.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: numan
'

What is this? ! Has everyone here suddenly turned into Englishmen and have nothing else to talk about than the weather?

Don't you find that refreshing, instead of we Americans talking about our usual fare of war and delusional politics? LOL

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 07:23 PM

Our new neighbors have a parrot, and they set him out in their backyard everyday. He is in a large cage, but not large enough for him to fly in. The parrot screeches most of the time he's outside. It's not too annoying...

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/10/11 07:33 PM

'
Why don't you go visit the poor beast and teach him some more charming vocalizations?

Like --- Crucify the Republicans ! grin

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 2011 - 08/10/11 07:44 PM

I did that Scout and there is nothing reported. They are on Holland ms Amsterdam cruise. I'm not worried about JJ and Tim but Tim's Mother who is my age and not too steady on her feet. One woman is down with a broken leg. They took a cruise to China earlier this year and were heading for Japan when the tsunami from the Japaneser earthquake and were thrown all over the ship. She tends to be prone for accidents. Not me, I've gained weight and bounce right back up.

JJ has her blackberry with her and I sent her an email asking if she fell off the boat. She is a distance swimmer like I am and she will float just like me. She is the last of my babies and I still worry as if she is still 3 years old. When she was little she was not too sharp and we thought she was Autistic. She was pretty enough to be an actress so we taught her how to respond to theater direction. "Stage Right" "Center Front" still gets her attention.

She turned out to be the brains of the family...Who knew?

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/10/11 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: numan
'
Why don't you go visit the poor beast and teach him some more charming vocalizations?

Like --- Crucify the Republicans ! grin

I'd like to, but I can't climb the fence! LOL

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/10/11 08:11 PM

Sandy~I'm sure that the cruise line would have contacted you, if there were any problems. I'll keep them all in my thoughts and prayers to be safe! ThumbsUp

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/10/11 08:13 PM

'
Originally Posted By: Sandune

They took a cruise to China earlier this year and were heading for Japan when the tsunami from the Japanese earthquake [hit] and were thrown all over the ship.

How almost supernaturally disaster-prone they seem to be !

Do you think you could persuade them to take a cruise up the Potomac past Washington D.C. ?

wink

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 02:28 AM

Scout. J.J. just emailed in that they had no internet where they were cruising and she is safe and sound. My kids never get to the age where I do not worry. They spent the day playing around a huge number of whales.

When she attended Berkeley, I used to drive up and we would go whale watching. We had a huge hump back whale swim up very close to our boat and a woman leaned over and kissed the whale. Oh Wow! What an experience. The one camera on the boat was forgotten due to the bravery of that gal. A one in a million shot and the camera was forgotten. Oooooooh

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 05:16 AM

Sandy~I know what you mean about the worrying. I feel the same way about my kids. grin I love whale watching! We sometimes go to the Los Angeles Harbor at San Pedro to take a boat out during December/January/February. We see a lot of dolphins there, too. They like to come right up to the boat and look us over.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 05:20 AM

VERY COOL!

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 11:07 AM

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 01:30 PM

I loved the video! I first thought they were doing crickets and I closed my eyes waiting for Brahms to play to take me back to the Hollywood Bowl. I can still enjoy Brahms with my CDs but I miss the crickets and the champagne corks popping. In my teens, I used to usher at the Bowl and was able to walk off all the beer we drank at the beach that same day. Ah, the endurance of youth.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 02:57 PM

Help! I have Time Warner TV Cable who have not published tonight's coverage on Fox News, the Iowa Debate! Does anyone know if it is on Fox New Channel and what time will it be aired?
Posted by: Joe Buff

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 03:14 PM

This is what I found: GOP DEBATE: Watch Thursday at 9 p.m. ET on Fox News and FoxNews.com LIVE

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 04:59 PM

Thank you Joe. Time Warner has not added this to their nightly list of programs. I may have to look for the streaming ability to hear it life. This will be 6 PM here in California and I will be waiting.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 09:11 PM

'
Originally Posted By: Sandune

In my teens, I used to usher at the Bowl

Fancy that ! When I was a teenager, I also ushered at the Hollywood Bowl, so that I could listen to live classical music for free !

We are much more alike than you think, Sandune. Doesn't it just drive you crazy? wink

Once I was especially looking forward to hearing Igor Stravinsky himself conduct the Firebird Suite. It was, and is, one of my favorite pieces of modern music---in it, I hear the whole sweep of human history from earliest times to its yet unaccomplished transcendence and transfiguration.

Imagine my disappointment when Stravinsky gave a remarkably poor and uninspiring performance of his great work !

It just goes to show that a composer is not necessarily the best performer of his own work---nor a poet the best interpreter and reader of his own poetry !

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/11/11 09:55 PM

The Hollywood Bowl is still a magical place for concerts. You might be surprised to see the jumbo screens which enable you to see the stage close up even if you sit in the $5 nosebleed seats.

Going again Tuesday.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/12/11 12:14 AM

I love going to the Hollywood Bowl. My mom took my sisters an me there in the lare 60's for a classical music concert. I can't remember the pieces played, but it was by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. My mom brought a picnic meal, and it was so enjoyable.

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/13/11 05:42 AM

Posted by: itstarted

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/13/11 10:58 PM

Am at the lake... using the senior center connection.
Amazing what three or four days away from people and the internet can do for the psyche.
Been working clearing brush, fixin the sea wall... 110 feet of disintegrating 35 year old treated wood... repairing the hole in the bottom of my Ted Williams fishing boat (1965), and power washing the deck... Only one or two hundred hours to go to bring everything up to snuff. frown

Big weekend here at Woodhaven Lakes, and in Mendota the world famous corn festival... Spend an hour in the hot sun in a side by side line (8 people wide) to get a fresh ear of hot buttered corn... NOT.

Quick count of my birds... three pair of hummers, two green heron, mated cardinals, plus another miscenginated pair... cardinal and bluejay that fly together... miscellaneous small birds, wrens, etc., twenty geese... (stayed the winter)...
Downy, Hairy, and Redheaded woodpeckers, two owls, night swallows ???, gracklings, crows, and dozens more species that don't grace my feeders.

Canoed the whole lake, and spotted all of the new park models... and 16 foot pontoons ( size limit 16' and electric motors only.

Fishing is great... neighbor took out 12 crappie in ten minutes, and a 3 1/2 lb channel cat. Bass are small... (We think some of the new folks are not doing the catch and release).

Weather is perfect... 80 and sunny days, and 62 degree nights. Finally!

An so back to the land of quiet... no internet... no traffic...just a fire in the fire ring, and a time to sit by the lake and watch the sun go down... Doesn't get any better than this.
smile
Posted by: Joe Keegan

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/13/11 11:36 PM

Amazing video!

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/13/11 11:50 PM

I envy you, Bob

Re: Roundtable for August 7 through August 13, 20 - 08/14/11 02:28 AM

Probably "Nighthawks", Bob, and Grackles. On the way into town this afternoon we came across 5 big wild Tom Turkeys.

They hung around and let us watch for a while.
I sure envy you those temperatures, but soon enough it will cool down here. I should walk to the lake and go fishing, there are three well stocked private lakes within half a mile. But I'm mostly gardening, getting ready to plant the fall crops. My favorite birds right now are my eight young hens who have just begun laying.