Round Table for August, 2018

Posted by: NW Ponderer

Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/01/18 04:28 AM

Welcome to the Round Table for the Dog Days of August, 2018 Siriusly. (Aren't they cute?!)

The "dog days" are considered the hottest period of the year (in the Northern Hemisphere), and we have already seen some of the hottest days, ever.
According to WaPo, "No single record, in isolation, can be attributed to global warming. But collectively, these heat records are consistent with the kind of extremes we expect to see increase in a warming world." (Maybe we're becoming the Dog Planet?) As a result, record-setting fire seasons are occurring. California now considers "fire season" to be year round. 2017 saw the most destructive season yet scorching over 245,000 acres and killing 44 people. In 2018 There Are 16 Active Wildfires Burning Across California (TIME) as we begin the month of August, "And many are burning in areas experiencing record-shattering extreme heat." Already 7 lives have been lost, over 100,000 acres consumed, and over 1000 buildings destroyed.

In other areas, certain major figures are currently in hot seats, as trials have begun, and are continuing. But enough of that.

"August" also describes something that inspires reverence or admiration "of supreme dignity or grandeur; majestic" or a person who is eminent, noteworthy, and worthy of emulation. Now THAT is something to be proud of! I have been thinking of august personalities, and it turns out there are more of them than I had thought. I was inspired, actually, by someone I had not particularly considered of such note:

I know he has shown prowess on the court, but what inspired the appellation "august" to me is his opening of his public school, the "I Promise School" in Akron, Ohio. The school will start with 240 at-risk children (third and fourth graders) with plans to expand to over 1,000 students. Students who graduate with specific standards will qualify for a full scholarship to the University of Akron.

So, in the spirit of August (rather than disgust), I am challenging my fellow Ranters to identify those people, or institutions, who inspire them, who earn the title "august" by their actions, presence, and words. With that, the floor is YOURS!
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/03/18 04:22 AM

My 8 lab puppies have opened their eyes! Scary episode today when one of them got his head stuck in the chain link fence on one side of their pen. Momma was freaking out attacking her pack mates who wondered what was with the screaming pup. I had to push his head back through the chain link, then spent 15 minutes getting momma to calm down. All fixed now so no more exposed chain link in the pen. Puppy is fine: I can't even tell which one it was.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/03/18 08:16 AM

Lots of stories about immigrant kidnap victims being molested in the detention facilities.

Gee, thousands of kids of both genders and all ages, isolated from their parents, and terrified. Some even doped up on psychoactive drugs! Who would think this would be the perfect hunting ground for child molesters?

I bet we are going to hear about a LOT more such cases. Just another boneheaded Trump policy with zero thought about side effects or consequences.
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/03/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Lots of stories about immigrant kidnap victims being molested in the detention facilities.

Gee, thousands of kids of both genders and all ages, isolated from their parents, and terrified. Some even doped up on psychoactive drugs! Who would think this would be the perfect hunting ground for child molesters?

I bet we are going to hear about a LOT more such cases. Just another boneheaded Trump policy with zero thought about side effects or consequences.

I'm betting some kids are going to get some big fat checks a few years from now, along with their parents.
Posted by: Greger

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/03/18 04:22 PM

Quote:
big fat checks

They'll be able to use that money to migrate to a decent country.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/03/18 05:13 PM

I'm trying to figure out a way to 3D print a new president.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 01:34 AM

Quote:
My 8 lab puppies have opened their eyes!

PUPPIES!!!!
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 03:23 AM

Conservative perverts are in pig heaven, while Jim Jordan looks the other way.

coffee

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
I'm trying to figure out a way to 3D print a new president.

Is that you Kathy Griffin? gobsmacked

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 10:40 AM

Quote:
PUPPIES!!!!

I'd post pictures, but every knows what Yellow Lab puppies look like: They are all cute as a bug, and you can hardly tell them apart at this stage. Some are starting to walk instead of scoot on their bellies.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 03:32 PM

My neighbors got a lab puppy not long ago. They're finding out just what a handful a young lab can be.
My black lab is an old whiteface now. Best dogs ever...after the first three years.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 04:23 PM

I had a pair of Labs as puppies. They chewed the bottoms off of all my kitchen drawers... But they were the best dog, in two bodies. Lady B lived to fetch, and her sister, Nightcap, was the prototypical fireplace dog. She had no interest in chasing anything unless it was alive. She chased a squirrel 9 feet up a tree, once. That was an interesting rescue. Both, though, loved cats.

My son just adopted an albino pit bull terrier. She's absolutely adorable, but SO MUCH ENERGY! She's the Belle of the Dog Park. Loves EVERYBODY, and everybody loves her... Except she'd be illegal to own in several local communities and many apartment complexes. It complicated his search for a new home.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/04/18 07:30 PM

That may not even be the apartment owner's fault: The insurance policies on our rentals do not allow pit bulls. Momma lab was absolutely the sweetest thing at 7 months old when we got her. She would climb up in my lap and sleep on her back when I sat in a recliner chair. But she did have to chew up everything possible. She loved plastic flower pots above all else. She would run down the driveway with a 5 gallon pot in her mouth that was almost bigger then her. I'm on my third TV remote and she's trained me to put it away in a drawer when I leave the room.

My only regret is we only have little kiddy pools, so the dogs have to lay down on their sides to get wet all over. Back when we had an in-ground our Lab at the time would just spontaneously go for a swim any time of day.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/05/18 02:42 AM

A livestock water tank would be ideal for them...

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/06/18 01:16 AM

Not very big. Not much opportunity to swim. I think I could build a concrete block wall in an arc on a slope, then get an EDPM pond liner to keep the water in. Dogs need to be able to get in and out easily, and not tear a normal pool liner.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/06/18 01:02 PM

My Nightcap was the best swimming dog I've ever seen. She could swim silently up to ducks in the lake. It was amazing. It got her in trouble a couple of times. Once she swam all the way across the lake, following the ducks, and I had to drive 3 miles to rescue her. One time someone deliberately tried to hit her with his boat. When he saw me waiting at the launch with my dogs, he skeedattled to the other end of the lake. Unfortunately, I couldn't get identifying information on him, and, fortunately for both of us, I wasn't armed. I've never felt more violent in my life.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/06/18 08:20 PM

I was prompted by this discussion to look up reports about "dog bites" online last night. What I discovered was depressing. Even normal publications like TIME allow distorted, factually vacuous (and misleading) pieces to be published. I've looked into the research, and it is routinely misreported. The fact is, pit bulls do not bite more frequently than other dogs, but get reported at a higher rate because of myth-perceptions and stereotypes. The "studies" I've seen are so sloppy there is no scientific merit to them, and they can't pass peer review, yet they get cited in news reports without skepticism. And advocates lie to communities on a regular basis. It's almost Trumpian.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/06/18 09:53 PM

Pibbles are great dogs. Unfortunately they sometimes attract owners who are not great people.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/07/18 03:42 AM

Quote:
Not very big. Not much opportunity to swim.

I was thinking of a 500-1000 gallon tank.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/07/18 04:21 AM

1000 gallon round tanks are only about 9 feet in diameter and 2 feet deep. I need something more like 3 feet deep and 15 feet long. But it only has to be about 3 feet wide. A 1000 gallon doggie lap pool.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/08/18 01:12 AM

POLL: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

In other words, almost half of Republicans think that freedom of the press is subject to the President's whims.
In other words, almost half of Republicans don't seem to understand that "freedom of the press" means not being subject to the hissy fit snap decisions of a president with regard to their ability to do their job.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/08/18 07:33 AM

Idiots! The First Amendment is MUCH more important than the Second, in preserving our freedom. The Second Amendment "right" to fight a tyrannical government is meaningless in the age of machine guns, tanks, helicopter gunships, etc. Anybody who decides they need to raise weapons against the US government is annihilated in short order!

This is a common right-wing fantasy, with zero connection to reality. What keeps us a free country is the right to speak up, to have the real news reported, to vote, and to file suit in court when the government does something unconstitutional.

I think this has to reflect poorly on American Education: We used to have something called Civics in American high schools, and everybody had to pass it to graduate.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/15/18 10:03 PM

Killed another Southern Pacific rattler last night. That makes four so far this season. Rattlers seem to love global warming!

Used to see some Red Diamondbacks, but I guess they are rare near the coast.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 01:30 AM

I'm wondering how long it will be before the pythons from the Everglades get this far north...about 150 miles.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 01:49 AM

Pythons are no big concern: Not even venomous. They can be nasty but generally only eat stuff like cats. Eastern Diamondbacks, on the other hand can be lethal. And they are already well-established throughout Florida and Georgia. I read one story about a herpetologist who got bitten out on an island in central Florida. He had to use his boat to get to shore, and then he could barely crawl to his car to drive somewhere he could get help.

Rattlers around here give you plenty of time to get to a hospital, assuming you aren't hiking out of cell phone range of 911.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 02:24 AM

Quote:
Pythons are no big concern

Tell that to my cats.

They're eating everything that moves down there from bunnies to alligators. It's just one environmental disaster after another down here these days.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 02:51 AM

I've done the rattlesnake bite thing. I don't recommend it.

They tell you it's poisonous...nobody ever mentions just how excruciatingly painful it is.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 09:05 AM

And how crazy expensive: About $100,000 just for a Southern Pacific bite if you have any assets and no insurance. Oops, there goes your house! I can't imagine the bill for an Eastern Diamondback bite.

No human bites in my family, but I've paid for about 6 dogs to get antivenin @ $2000 a pop!

Quote:
It's just one environmental disaster after another down here these days.

That's been my impression of Florida for a while now. There was a science-fiction series a few years ago where some alien creatures came down during a hurricane and started taking over human bodies so subtly that their hosts were not even aware it happened. Until an amputee showed up with his foot grown back! It was an effective metaphor for all the environmental disasters you guys have to live with.

BTW: Outdoor cats last about one night in my neighborhood. Coyotes.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/16/18 08:51 PM

Used to be no coyotes here. Now there's plenty and yes they do love to eat cats. And chickens.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 12:55 AM

My wife keeps on saying she wants some pet chickens as layers. I reply: "Do you want their pen inside the fence so the dogs eat them, or outside the fence so the coyotes eat them?"

Maybe the coyotes will figure out a way to eat the pythons, when they come. I keep throwing headless rattlesnake carcasses over the fence and the bodies are always gone by sunrise. I don't think the owls are getting them.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 08:45 AM

Read a summary of an interesting scientific paper: Seems all the Persian Gulf countries are not going to be habitable in 30 years. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UEA, and Iran will have high humidity and high enough summer temperatures that most people outside AC will die of heat stroke. You can survive if the humidity is low, because you can cool yourself by sweating. But they are so close to the shallow and very hot Persian Gulf that the humidity will be too hot to cool by sweating. Water in the Gulf is already about 95 F.

People living in air conditioned houses will die en masse when the power fails, so that will be a brief respite. I'll probably live to see it, too. Should have some interesting political consequences.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 11:48 AM

Russian billionaire, Artem Klyushin, Tweeted to Fatboy yesterday: Toe-the-line or there will be no second term.

Twitter

There's your collusion right there. Hmm

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 07:02 PM

I don't think that really meets the definition of collusion. Collusion implies equals working together. I think the word you are looking for is "stooge".

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 08:52 PM

Quote:
My wife keeps on saying she wants some pet chickens as layers.

Lots of prefab chicken pens on the market. Very few people have the luxury of letting chickens run free. We've talked about this before. Get that woman some chickens!

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/17/18 09:42 PM

Costco has sold a Chicken House for three Springs in a row. This year it was a double-wide Chicken House. smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/18/18 05:37 AM

Read a summary of an interesting scientific paper: Seems all the Persian Gulf countries are not going to be habitable in 30 years. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UEA, and Iran will have high humidity and high enough summer temperatures that most people outside AC will die of heat stroke. You can survive if the humidity is low, because you can cool yourself by sweating. But they are so close to the shallow and very hot Persian Gulf that the humidity will be too hot to cool by sweating. Water in the Gulf is already about 95 F.

People living in air conditioned houses will die en masse when the power fails, so that will be a brief respite. I'll probably live to see it, too. Should have some interesting political consequences.

I have a running bet with a friend up Norte: Gulf countries and Death Valley will both record 140 degree ambient temps before the year 2020.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/18/18 07:04 PM

Quote:
Death Valley

But it's a dry heat! Somewhat survivable. I worry a lot more about Phoenix. Mid-summer power failures and LOTS of old folks die. Especially if they are in the middle of a monsoon moisture event coming up out of Mexico.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/18/18 10:07 PM

Quote:
Death Valley

But it's a dry heat! Somewhat survivable. I worry a lot more about Phoenix. Mid-summer power failures and LOTS of old folks die. Especially if they are in the middle of a monsoon moisture event coming up out of Mexico.

I was just up in the San Fernando Valley the other day here in CA, and it was 117 degrees. It was actually quite tolerable because I "dressed for the occasion", as in loose fitting tee and shorts, and I carried my drinkie bottle. I think the rel. hum. was around eight percent.

Now imagine that in Dallas with 50% relative humidity.
Now go three degrees higher. That's what I predict for 2020, and massive failures in the Texas electrical grid, which by the way is isolated from everyone else.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) stems from a mix of "Don't Mess With Texas" and some WW2 ideas about keeping Texas factories running during the war even in case of invasion. Also, because the ERCOT grid does not sell power to other states, it is exempt from most regulation by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. But Texas uses more electricity than any other state, 44 percent more than California.

And it's not like they can just hook up to another grid if theirs goes down in a heap. Not saying that they have a punkass grid, I'm just saying that record heat and humidity may stress it beyond anyone's prior calculations. Anyone who has lived down South knows what a typical modern Texas style central air conditioning unit looks like.
For those that don't, they are "BEEEEEEEEEEG"...veddy veddy beeg.

120 degrees at fifty percent relative humidity on an August afternoon might be a Waterloo moment.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 03:33 AM

Almost midnight here and the temp is 81. Humidity is also 81. During the day both will be in the 90s. I mostly stay indoors this time of year.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 07:38 AM

Human skin temperature is about 85. If it's that or cooler, you can be comfortable. Body temp is nearer to 99. If it's hotter than that you steadily take up heat if you can't cool by sweat. 106 is fatal if your body equilibrates with that. The bad thing about a power failure when it's hot and humid, is the sheer scale. We could have events that kill thousands of people.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 05:30 PM

Fortunately for me I'm in the Disney microclimate. Weather reports here are always under 90 degrees. Pay no attention to the thermometer that says 95, look at the report on your phone and you will see that it's actually only 89...You'll feel much cooler.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Now imagine that in Dallas with 50% relative humidity.
Now go three degrees higher. That's what I predict for 2020, and massive failures in the Texas electrical grid, which by the way is isolated from everyone else.

Special Kiosk sales of generators (Honeywell) and HVAC (Lennox) are off-the-charts in Texas. smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 06:15 PM

Generators only work as long as you have gas for them. If the refinery doesn't have electricity, gasoline supplies run out quickly. Most of the inadequately supplied run out of gas for the generator, then go hunting for more but gas stations are out. You could take a cold shower, but without electricity the pumps that send water up the towers don't work.

I think I would use my gasoline to leave the state for Colorado.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 06:25 PM

So Rudy goes on TV and says: "Truth isn't truth." I think we have another "depends on the meaning of 'is' moment" here. The only possible conclusion is that Rudy is not fit to be an officer of the court and should be disbarred, but since I am a Democrat I would love it if Trump would go into court with Rudy representing him!

The other interesting thing is Trump denouncing the NYTimes story quoting his own lawyer as Fake News. By now everybody should recognize that "Fake News" doesn't mean fake. It means "News I Don't Like". John Dean did jail time for things he did for Nixon. He says that the President's lawyer is right to save his ass by spilling all the beans to Mueller.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 06:37 PM

Generators only work as long as you have gas for them. If the refinery doesn't have electricity, gasoline supplies run out quickly. Most of the inadequately supplied run out of gas for the generator, then go hunting for more but gas stations are out. You could take a cold shower, but without electricity the pumps that send water up the towers don't work.

I think I would use my gasoline to leave the state for Colorado.

Last year for Harvey, Costco purchased a 60-car train load of gas from North Carolina and railed it to the Houston area market. Even non-Members could purchase gas without a Membership for this short period.

It was the first time that Costco had ever done anything like this. It was a win-win for Houston and Costco. Memberships increased 1500%.

Costco also sold the Kirkland-brand cases of water bottles for the normal $3.99 (...but you needed to have a Membership to get inside). Wal*Mart sold theirs for $61.00/cs.

The only Warehouse that did not offer gas was Humble, TX because it was under water, literally.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/19/18 06:45 PM

...By now everybody should recognize that "Fake News" doesn't mean fake. It means "News I Don't Like"...

THAT is exactly what it means. Hmm But Trump isn't intelligent enough to articulate his thoughts. smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/21/18 11:54 PM

Manafort's guilty, it's true.
That much we already knew.
But since Cohen copped a plea,
Perhaps you can tell me,
Does that count as one witch or two?

ROTFMOL

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/22/18 01:20 AM

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/22/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Greger
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny.

laugh

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/22/18 05:45 AM

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/24/18 11:42 PM

All Hawaiian island Warehouses closed today. Middleton, WI has been closed and will continue to be until next WE 08/29 - two inches of water ruined first layer of inventory on every pallet.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/25/18 01:22 AM

That is literally tons of spoiled garbage they have to remove, and quickly before it wicks water up into the rest of the merchandise. The fork lift guys are going to be VERY busy. The worst thing is that all the stuff on a pallet above the bottom is fine, but they have to separate the pallets by hand.

I wonder if they could just have a flood sale and have the public remove all the good stuff at 50% off. Might be cheaper than using employee labor.
Posted by: logtroll

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/25/18 01:09 PM

Quote:
No amount of alcohol is safe, according to The Global Burden of Diseases study, which analyzed levels of alcohol use and its health effects in 195 countries from 1990 to 2016.

... "Our results show that the safest level of drinking is none," the report states. "This level is in conflict with most health guidelines, which espouse health benefits associated with consuming up to two drinks per day."

Quote:
Despite the study's uncompromising message, some critics say its conclusions may be overblown. Claiming there is no safe level of alcohol consumption is not a compelling argument for people to stop drinking altogether, says David Spiegelhalter, the Winton professor for the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge

"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter told the BBC. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/641618937...al-study-claims
Posted by: logtroll

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 12:35 AM

If somebody posted this already, I didn't see it. Impressive article from Slate chronicling the Trump Show...

Trump chose Putin before America right in front of us

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 02:23 AM

Sounds like collusion to me...

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 04:06 AM

Trump has a defect that renders him unfit for the Presidency. I'm not talking about crimes, scandalous behavior, or impeachable offenses. I'm talking about lying.

The boy who cried "Wolf" a thousand times is not believed about anything by anybody. Even his supporters say he lies, but so what, and they still support him. But I'll tell you "so what": When something serious comes up, and the President has to talk to the American people about it, no one is going to believe him.

This may be Putin's dream, but I think it could be a nightmare. We still have all those nuclear weapons, still have the most powerful armed forces in the world, still control most of the world's economy, etc. Is it really in Russia's best interests to have an unstable, vindictive, child running the US? Who knows what could happen, and most of the bad stuff that could happen would be disastrous for Russia.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 04:51 AM

There are rumors of a 6th Trump child, now that AMI has released Fatboy's former Doorman from his catch 'n kill contract.

Meet Crystal Trump:

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 05:06 AM

Fatboy can't even color the American flag, correctly. His incompetence knows no bounds.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 05:19 AM

Idiot Fox News viewers refuse to believe a Fox News poll:

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/26/18 06:04 AM

That is literally tons of spoiled garbage they have to remove, and quickly before it wicks water up into the rest of the merchandise. The fork lift guys are going to be VERY busy. The worst thing is that all the stuff on a pallet above the bottom is fine, but they have to separate the pallets by hand.

I wonder if they could just have a flood sale and have the public remove all the good stuff at 50% off. Might be cheaper than using employee labor.

Costco is self-insured and will write-off the extra labor and other costs to getting the warehouses back in order. For example, five Special Kiosks that hang out on the fence near the exits (Flooring, HVAC, Generator, Counter, Garage Doors) at $1500 a piece, need to be ordered and in-place by next Wednesday.

Haven't heard about the Hawaii warehouses. I'm sure I will on Monday.

it's all factored in as costs of doing business. Hmm

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/27/18 09:13 PM

I'm sure they can afford it! I was just thinking about the most efficient way to handle the mess. They need to get a lot of employees from other stores in to supply all the labor. It's essentially like stocking a new Costco, but a new Costco filled with tons of garbage.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/28/18 03:22 AM

I'm sure they can afford it! I was just thinking about the most efficient way to handle the mess. They need to get a lot of employees from other stores in to supply all the labor. It's essentially like stocking a new Costco, but a new Costco filled with tons of garbage.

Costco will use its own stocking crew, but will also bring in temporary outside help to get the job done.

When Humble, TX flooded, an outside company took care of ALL of the mess. Costco employees were shipped-out to nearby warehouses for four months and came back to an essentially a brand-new warehouse for the reopening.

The Humble warehouse was only 18mos old when it flooded.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/28/18 03:57 AM

Flooding is a holy mess: It's not just everything is wet. Everything up to the water height is essentially covered in poop, because urban flood water is heavily contaminated with raw sewage. In some parts of the country, it's also going to be contaminated with pig and cow manure.

They have to junk the walls and insulation, replace electrical outlets affected, clean and sterilize the floor or replace it if it's not cement. It's almost like a whole new building unless the frame is steel. I think most Costco stores are. They can also steam clean their merchandise racks.

I bet they wish they had graded the lot a few feet higher now!

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/29/18 03:39 AM

Talk about blind partisanship:
Quote:
John Ward, a candidate in the GOP primary for Florida’s 6th Congressional District, drew criticism last week for saying displaced Puerto Ricans should not be allowed to register to vote in Florida.

“I don’t think they should be allowed to register to vote,” he said in a video uploaded to YouTube by a Republican rival. “It’s not lost on me that, I think, the Democrat Party’s really hoping that they can change the voting registers in a lot of counties and districts, and I don’t think they should be allowed to do that.”

Miami’s Displaced Puerto Ricans Offer A Glimpse At America’s Looming Climate Crisis

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/29/18 06:11 AM

Hey folks, new smileys added, just for fun, thought you'd like to know!

hitsfan

eek2
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/29/18 04:11 PM

hitsfan

Love this, it is going to get a lot of use soon...

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/30/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
hitsfan

Love this, it is going to get a lot of use soon...

I can add a whole bunch more if people want.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/30/18 04:42 AM

Another bone-headed Trump policy:

Trump Administration Deporting Americans Born Near Mexico Border

Quote:
What’s happening? The Post recounted the story of Juan, a 40-year-old American, who was born in the border town of Brownsville, Texas. Juan, has served as a private in the U.S. Army, later worked for the Border Patrol, and is now a state prison guard. This year, when he tried to renew his passport, the State Department denied the request, saying, despite his American birth certificate, it didn’t believe he was an American citizen.

The problem is that some midwifes near the Mexican border issued fake birth certificates to show that babies were born here. So now the State Department is assuming that ALL the babies they delivered were actually Mexicans.

Quote:
beyond treating the children birthed by midwives as illegitimate citizens, the Post reports, babies delivered by a prominent gynecologist, who delivered as many as 15,000 children during his career, are being denied passports.
“In some cases, passport applicants with official U.S. birth certificates are being jailed in immigration detention centers and entered into deportation proceedings,” according to the Post. “In others, they are stuck in Mexico, their passports suddenly revoked when they tried to reenter the United States.”

Guilty until proven innocent is the new standard, I guess. Besides an official US Birth Certificate, what proof do any of us have that we were born here?

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 08/30/18 05:05 AM

Okay here is the comprehensive list of new smileys, enjoy.

eek2 hitsfan failpail ouch deadhorse allhail popcorn2 attn

All of the old faves are also still there, of course.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/02/18 05:00 PM

Saw Godless, limited series (7 episodes) on Netflix. It's excellent, EXCELLENT television. (...and I loathe westerns - it was THAT good.)

smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/03/18 12:09 AM

Activists Raise $10,000 In A Few Hrs To Put Up An Anti-Ted Cruz Tweet By Trump

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/03/18 03:30 PM

I think the various videos of Cruz and Trump trashing each other as liars and miscreants should be run on continuous loops on TV.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/03/18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I think the various videos of Cruz and Trump trashing each other as liars and miscreants should be run on continuous loops on TV.

Especially in those districts!

deadhorse hitsfan LOL
Posted by: Golem

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/08/18 04:12 PM

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/09/18 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Activists Raise $10,000 In A Few Hrs To Put Up An Anti-Ted Cruz Tweet By Trump

It is turning out that Ted Cruz is also fighting against himself - most voters in TexASS don't like him. smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/09/18 12:01 PM

It looks more and more that Fatboy's kryptonite is humorous ridicule against him.

C'mon all your patriotic comedians, feed us anti-trumpers some funny, zinging one-liners that we can Tweet at Fatboy. We can do this!

smile

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/09/18 05:56 PM

Quote:
most voters in TexASS don't like him

Al Frankin was right about that: Everybody in the Senate hates Cruz.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/09/18 09:00 PM

September RoundTable is open, sorry for the delay.
This one will stay open for a few days before it gets locked.
Please feel free to populate the new RT.

Re: Round Table for August, 2018 - 09/10/18 02:00 AM

Quote:
most voters in TexASS don't like him

Al Frankin was right about that: Everybody in the Senate hates Cruz.

Yup. smile