I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff?

Posted by: jgw

I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 03/31/20 04:59 PM

One can only wonder how this was missed by the intrepid media

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/03/29/...e-shortage.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live...-new-york-fauci
Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 03/31/20 07:03 PM

It's being reported.
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 03/31/20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jgw

Like the media you just linked to?

Hamish,
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
Posted by: NW Ponderer

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 12:05 AM

This is a bigger story, I think, than just that, but that is a big story in and of itself. The shipments are just one aspect of the gross incompetence displayed by Trump and his "misleadership team.but the bigger picture includes the entire Republican party and the fetish for "cutting costs" and "smaller government". Hop aboard the wayback machine and let me tell you a story...

The Strategic National Stockpile:
Quote:
In April 1998, President Bill Clinton read the Richard Preston novel The Cobra Event, a fiction book about a mad scientists spreading a virus throughout New York City. As a result, Clinton held a meeting with scientists and cabinet officials to discuss the threat of bioterrorism. He was so impressed that he asked the experts to meet with senior-level aides at the Department of Defense and in the Department of Health and Human Services. At that time, the government had stockpiles of medications for military personnel, but did not have them for civilians. Shortly after, The Washington Post wrote that Clinton surprised many in Washington at how fast he and his National Security Council had moved to change that. By October, Clinton signed into law a new budget of $51 million for pharmaceutical and vaccine stockpiling to be carried out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Coronavirus Is Putting the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile to the Test. Here’s the Surprising Story Behind the Stash(TIME)

At first, it was Y2K that was the impetus for the effort and it was limited to stockpiling vaccines and other pharmaceuticals, as the military stockpile that preceded it had done. Then 9/11 happened, and the focus changed (as it should have before then, but I digress...). It became more broad based, including equipment like ventilators and PPE. In 2003 responsibility was passed jointly to Homeland Security and Health and Human Services, and the name changed to the "The Strategic National Stockpile" (jointly, is a problem).

Although initially it was well(ish)-funded, Congress (mostly Republican) quickly lost its ardor, cutting funding in 2007 and again in 2014. to cut costs, most of the suppliers were located in China, where the cheapest vendors were located. As a result of funding limitations and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, which used up 100 million of the N95 masks (95% of the supply), the stockpile was never replenished.

When COVID-19 hit three things occurred almost simultaneously: 1) China quit shipping PPE, 2) Trump halved the budget, and 3) a huge chunk of our reserves were sent to China because the administration didn't take the threat seriously. Now, we don't have the reserves, we can't produce our own, and what we do have is well past its "expiration date".

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 06:22 PM

this happened waaay back in January and its, just now, being reported. This seems to be a bit of "day late and dollar short" to me. We have now had 3 months of battle over this stuff and now its coming to light? One would have thought a more timely effort could have been made?
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 06:38 PM

In January, Trump was busy with all of his impeachment trial appearances. Then in February, he needed to unwind by holding rallies and golfing like crazy. In March he had to deal with this virus plot by Democrats to impeach him again because they lost the last time...

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
In January, Trump was busy with all of his impeachment trial appearances. Then in February, he needed to unwind by holding rallies and golfing like crazy. In March he had to deal with this virus plot by Democrats to impeach him again because they lost the last time...

I think JGW might be hinting that the PRESS wasted valuable opportunity to shine a spotlight on the problem a couple of months ago when this crisis first began to arise. Back THEN...is when all the points JGW was alluding to should have been talked about by the press.
I might be wrong, but I think JGW is saying that the PRESS was a day late and a dollar short.

Am I right JG?
Posted by: Greger

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 07:26 PM

My ex just told me that her industry probably has tons of personal protection equipment sitting in containers waiting for orders to imprint them with your logo. She can order them by the thousands any time, hand sanitizer too. Her computer shows all those items in stock and ready to imprint and ship. She has reached out to the local hospital to let them know it's available. Others in the ASI industry are probably realizing this right now too.

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/01/20 07:30 PM

Trump sold our asses down the river.

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/03/20 08:29 PM

I am not really sure. I think that the truth is that the Jackass Trump is REALLY good at changing the subject. Its what he does and, this time, he REALLY snookered the media who, apparently, just forgot this little thing.

I find it very odd indeed. The TV media, for instance, continues to ignore this little fact. It is, as far as I am concerned, yet another blot on the record of our TV media. Both CNN and MSNBC have ignored this one. I don't think they have actually even mentioned it to date.

I am wrong. Just did another google on this one and, now, they have actually started to report it - ONLY 3 months late!

One would think................

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/03/20 10:54 PM

Gee, according to Jared the federal stockpiles are for "us", not the states. No discussion about who exactly "us" is. I suppose all the US citizens who don't live is states? So Guam and Puerto Rico must be flooded with masks and PPE! What, no?

Maybe he meant the federal stockpiles are now reserved for Trump to send to Red States who's governors are still kissing his butt? I see they have fixed the website that stated the federal stockpiles are expressively there so the federal government can send them to states with emergency needs.

Quote:
“The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.”

George Orwell

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/04/20 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jgw
this happened waaay back in January and its, just now, being reported. This seems to be a bit of "day late and dollar short" to me. We have now had 3 months of battle over this stuff and now its coming to light? One would have thought a more timely effort could have been made?
It actually happened February 7th.
Quote:
It is also true that on Feb. 7, 2020, while critics contended that the Trump administration was doing relatively little to prepare for the coming pandemic in the U.S., the State Department announced it had facilitated “the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials” in order to help “contain and combat the novel coronavirus”
(Snopes). Now, to be fair to the press, at the time there was not an outbreak in the United States, and there had been assurances that our stockpile was substantial (it was not).
Posted by: rporter314

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/04/20 03:42 PM

The associated story is the Trump claim Pres Obama did not replenish the stockpiles leaving poor Mr Trump without any supplies. (Fact checkers have concluded the only line item in the stockpile to be in short supply was N95 masks. When asked about it former director said budget cuts forced him to make choice between masks or vital drugs. No easy decision.) So for the past 3 years Mr Trump did nothing to replenish the stockpile ... so I guess he blames Pres Obama for holding a gun to Trump's head and forcing him not to replenish stockpiles .... makes sense to me in a Trumpian kinda way

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/04/20 04:26 PM

I don't know if this article has been posted before or not (I'm following too many), but I am going to reference it anyway. This disaster is a Republican disaster from the beginning to the end. Full stop. How Tea Party Budget Battles Left the Na...for Coronavirus (Pro Publica).
Quote:
Dire shortages of vital medical equipment in the Strategic National Stockpile that are now hampering the coronavirus response trace back to the budget wars of the Obama years, when congressional Republicans elected on the Tea Party wave forced the White House to accept sweeping cuts to federal spending.

Among the victims of those partisan fights was the effort to keep adequate supplies of masks, ventilators, pharmaceuticals and other medical equipment on hand to respond to a public health crisis. Lawmakers in both parties raised the specter of shortchanging future disaster response even as they voted to approve the cuts.

And now the administration is trying to wedge "free market solutions" into responding to this national disaster, with the expected results. It is the most idiotic, cynical, greed-inspired, graft-engineered, Republican process ever attempted and is costing the United States, the States, and most importantly the people, untold expense and grief. This is why Republicans should never, ever be put in charge of any thing, ever.

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/04/20 05:37 PM

I think that you have pretty much nailed it down. Our local newspaper runs a political commentary by a member of the righteous right. Yesterday she posted:
https://www.creators.com/read/michelle-malkin

I think its fair to say that if she would write something like this that there are problems in the Republican party starting to come to light?

I know, wishful thinking, but it makes me feel a bit better given the total lack of Democratic response in any meaningful way.

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/11/20 03:49 PM

Posted by: pdx rick

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/11/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

Trump was impeached on December 18, 2019. Impeachment was over in January 2020 when he was dealing with Removal.

In February, orange fatass was on a trip to India with his entire grifty family. smile

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/11/20 06:07 PM

Hopefully, when its all over and we recover we also get some laws in place to secure America the next time something like this comes along. We have already been warned that it will come. Taiwan, for instance, mandates, by law, that every hospital maintain a 60 day supply of needed supplies. BY LAW! We have, as far as I know, nothing like that. The so called national store is more of a suggestion than a fact. Except for our military, as far as I know, we are just not very good at stocking up for future problems. We also are not real good at warnings of future problems. We were warned, for instance, about the vulnerability of invasion, by air, in Hawaii and ignored it until it happened. That taught us a lessen that we learned and our military is ALWAYS ready now! (some might say waaaaaay too ready!). However, when it comes to health - not so much. I betcha, with a little thought, one could actually create a list of stuff we don't act on until its a disaster.

I guess we just don't do that although I would support, at least, some kind of study on such, for for the heck of it. Right now what we have is the "wake-up call" thing. We seem to get a lot of those and most get ignored until its not. The current covid-19 thing was predicted but we needed a "wake-up" before we did anything.

Anyway .......

Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? - 04/11/20 07:07 PM

Stockpile? Everybody knows "just in time" inventory is the cat's meow. Of course, one little supply chain disruption and the whole economy jumps into the toilet. But as long as it does work, it works great!

Until it doesn't.....