Portland. A Turning Point?

Posted by: Irked

Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 12:08 AM

I have a feeling what’s happening in Portland is the true flex point of this time in history.

Do city and state leaders control their juridictions or can the federal government come in and without provocation or invitation take physical control of a city? A state?

Or will regular people: mom’s and Nude Athenas, Navy vets and hipsters, shame the armed thugs into backing down?

Is this the last hurrah of this stain-on-our-existence-and-history administration and the movement it embodies? Or is this just the start? Unidentified armed men snatching people off the street and detaining them without charge. (Something that they don’t even bother to deny.) What does that sound like?

How can the people assaulting the Michigan Statehouse with weapons and squawking about Ruby Ridge, Waco, and Jade Helm possibly support the federal response in Portland? If they believed in the rights they espouse for themselves, they cannot. Because it seems they only espouse those rights for themselves. Masks are a bridge too far for this group. How can what the federal government is doing in Portland be OK?

Kevin Drum

George Takei
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 01:45 AM

Trump's uninsignia'd goon squads are not being met as Liberators as the incompetent Fatass had hoped. Liberators don't teargas, disappear protesters into unmarked vans, or arrest them without cause for exercising their First Amendment right all under guise of keeping Portland safe from "violent anarchists."

Portlanders are not going to let a bunch of ass-kickers from the Department of Homeland Security, Officers from the US Marshals Special Operations Group and Customs and Border Protection's BORTAC, who have been sent, supposedly, to protect a federal courthouse from already mentioned supposed "violent anarchists" who might "graffiti" it with a few misspelled words while the "Law and Order" "President" waves the white flag on Covid-19, take their right to protest away.

If anything, the city of Portland is under assault from the federal government.

In response to the federal goon squads sent by incompetent Fatass Trump, Black Lives Matter protesters in Portland have come up with a new strategy: the "Wall of Moms," (...and also some dads), who stand in front of the protest line as a moral barrier against police brutality. About 30 of the moms showed up at the federal courthouse chanting, "Feds stay clear! Moms are here!" and "Leave our kids alone!"

What makes this all even more confusing is that rightwing Meal Team Six ammosexual terroristic militias love to do things like cosplay as soldiers and go after protesters, and these days, the federal government is looking more and more like a white supremacist militia - kinda hard to tell the two apart. So who knows what's really going on? Hmm

All the while the incompetent Fatass sits around with his orange thumb up his ass, failing to protect us from a deadly pandemic by not coming-up with a solid strategic national plan, but his goon squads sure have got plenty of munitions to "protect" a federal court building from people chanting rude things at cops. coffee

Posted by: Greger

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 02:16 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the average republican is entirely in favor of the feds taking over "failed" Democratically controlled cities.

We've reached the jackbooted thugs stage in the game...can our crystal night be far behind?

I just saw that Dads with Leaf Blowers have joined the moms and plan to blow the teargas back at the federales.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Greger
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the average republican is entirely in favor of the feds taking over "failed" Democratically controlled cities.

It's not a coincidence that Fascism is a rightwing political philosophy.

I just saw that Dads with Leaf Blowers have joined the moms and plan to blow the teargas back at the federales.

Nice!!! smile , Bow

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 05:26 AM

Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf, who is essentially a better-looking Stephen Miller with more hair, says the actions of his department in Portland are "proactive" arrests of individuals and argues that his stormtroopers aren't bound by the physical jurisdiction of federal property during a Fox New Channel interview.

By saying that his officers are proactively arresting people, Wolf suggests that they’re making arrests before people have committed crimes. This, of course, would be an unlawful arrest - you can’t arrest someone just because you think they might commit a crime. Hmm

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 05:34 AM

Thought crime - the most heinous and insidious of all crimes - must be stomped out before it can bloom.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Irked
Thought crime - the most heinous and insidious of all crimes - must be stomped out before it can bloom.

Trump and his goons are on it! laugh
Posted by: jgw

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/22/20 06:54 PM

As usual, when dealing with this administration, its gonna have to go through the courts. This one, I think, is going to have to get to the Supremes before we know what's gonna happen. I hope is that the state doesn't turn on their state civil defense and their national guard loose on this one or we are going to actually see an internecine battle for sure.

This is really serious stuff! Other states are weighing in and, I am sure, getting ready to also bring suits. Hopefully its gonna get fast tracked.

Yet another "in the fullness of time". Doubt its gonna get settled before the election.

THEN we are gonna learn all sorts of things?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/25/20 06:00 AM

According to an article in the Washington Post titled: Operation Diligent Valor: Trump showcased federal power in Portland, making a culture war campaign pitch:

Quote:
As statues of Confederate generals, enslavers and other icons tumbled from their pedestals amid protests last month, President Trump issued an executive order meant to break the cascade, It enlisted the Department of Homeland Security, created in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks to protect the country against external threats, to defend U.S. monuments and federal property against ‘anarchists and left-wing extremists’ who he said are advancing ‘a fringe ideology.

Trump has taken a keen interest in tactical operations against the protesters in recent weeks, according to White House and administration officials at the center of the response, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. When the fog of tear gas is thickest here in the wee hours of the morning, the president is sometimes up early on the other side of the country, calling Wolf for real-time updates from the front

Not that it needs to be stated again, Trump is a real sick fck. crazy

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/25/20 04:40 PM

“The front”. Yeah, that’s it, let’s call a US city a front. Portland, a front in the war between citizens and fascists goon squads trying to silence critics of the Dear Leader and advance his political position. Or, being goons, they don’t even need a reason to use violence against their fellow citizens, they just need permission.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/26/20 07:17 PM

Well...well...well...what have we here? Jeh Johnson, Former Sec. of Homeland Security said on Rachel Maddow:

Quote:
Forces of DHS, that have been deployed to the scene, are first, the Federal Protection Service, which is the component of DHS that reports directly to the Sec. and it’s core mission is the protection of civilian federal buildings across the country. Interestingly, most members of FPS are actually private contractors.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/26/20 07:20 PM

First Protection Service is owned by Erik Prince. He's that money-grubbing ahole who got taxpayer money to send mercenaries to Iraq in the early 2000s for $10K a month each.

Erik Prince is also Betsy DeVos' brother. So those "federal" goons in Portland better not kill anyone or Chad Wolf and Donald Trump are in a lot of trouble.

That's why there are no insignias on the uniforms. That's why people are disappearing off of the streets in unmarked minivans.

Now you know the rest of the story. smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/26/20 07:43 PM

For the record: Private contractors are not legitimate officers of the law and therefore cannot operate as such.

The Trump Administration had no choice but to use private contractors, because it’s not as if the FBI, DEA, and ATF have extra employees just sitting around waiting to be deployed as shock troops in US cities

smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 12:46 AM

Mercenaries...sweet. Invading Democratically controlled areas of the country under the guise of "restoring order".
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 08:26 AM

Then they are very much in danger of being arrested and charged with assault and kidnapping by local or state police. And I bet dollars to donuts they would name names to make a deal with prosecutors. Prince and the Homeland Security people who hired them could be indicted. Whoever broke that Navy Vets arm needs to spend a few years in the pen. I had a feeling when I saw that azzhole beating him with a baton, that was no sworn law enforcement officer.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Then they are very much in danger of being arrested and charged with assault and kidnapping by local or state police. And I bet dollars to donuts they would name names to make a deal with prosecutors. Prince and the Homeland Security people who hired them could be indicted. Whoever broke that Navy Vets arm needs to spend a few years in the pen. I had a feeling when I saw that azzhole beating him with a baton, that was no sworn law enforcement officer.

Did you see the video of the Navy vet just standing taking the beating with clubs, then maced? It all makes sense now...real law enforcement wouldn't do that. Hmm

Starts at 03:00:

Posted by: perotista

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 03:00 PM

All the violent protest this weekend got me thinking back to the 60's.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/26/oakland-protesters-fire-381968

Back then Nixon was very adept at using all the riots and protests, the burnings and destruction as a law and order candidate. Nixon had a ton of more political experience and was fairly savvy when it came to politics. Something Trump isn't.

Nixon campaign was fairly subtle and tactful, although one knew exactly what he was talking or hinting about. He used the protests, especially the Chicago riots to ride into the presidency in 1968 as someone who would bring law and order back to America's streets.

So the thought came across my mind, could Trump do basically the same thing if the violence continues in these protests. I think it's possible, but unlikely as Trump's in your face bullying style doesn't have the subtle approach to keep it within a reasonable political bounds that Nixon did.

If one was anti-Nixon, you probably don't agree he kept it within a reasonable political bound. But from an overall American view, America as a whole, he did. Trump not knowing any bounds, reasonable especially, I doubt he can take what is being given to him and make it an advantage to him. Still, if the violence continues in these protests, the opportunity is there.

The Democrats were seen as weak on crime because of all the violence and the riots, the Republicans strong on crime back in 1968. Trump has the opportunity to paint Biden as weak on crime, but I don't think he has the political savvy to do it, not in an any acceptable way.

Just a thought that popped into my head this weekend.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 03:32 PM

Trump and right wingers seem to feel that there is a lack of policing, a lack of punishment, a lack of harsh treatment for those who break the law. A lack of police brutality, as it were. And they answer protests against police brutality with more police brutality.

The United States gulags more of its citizens than any other nation already. We have private concentration camps where predominantly people of color are held in vast numbers and used as slave labor.

Over the last few decades crime has gone down, yet the cost of policing has soared. The number of incarcerated Americans has soared.

Lack of policing does not cause crime.

Lack of opportunity causes crime.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 04:48 PM

Nixon was running as the Law & Order candidate against the sitting government and its continuation (Humphrey).

Trump cannot repeat this strategy because of a fundamental difference. Now, the Dear Leader is “in charge” while the riots are occurring. If the Orange One is so good at keeping the peace, why isn’t that happening now?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Irked
Nixon was running as the Law & Order candidate against the sitting government and its continuation (Humphrey).

Trump cannot repeat this strategy because of a fundamental difference. Now, the Dear Leader is “in charge” while the riots are occurring. If the Orange One is so good at keeping the peace, why isn’t that happening now?

Good point, I hadn't taken that into consideration. I was looking at it as all the riots and violence is now taking place in Democratic controlled cities. Yeah, Nixon was the out of power guy, time to reevaluate.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 07:01 PM

Last night, in Seattle something like 57 police were injured and several are in the hospital. This stuff gives Trump a LOT of ammunition!

The Democratic response, in this instance, is muted to nothing. Again, this stuff gives Trump a LOT of ammunition!

ie. the Dems are back at it again. It they keep it up they can blow it bigtime!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jgw
Last night, in Seattle something like 57 police were injured and several are in the hospital. This stuff gives Trump a LOT of ammunition!

The Democratic response, in this instance, is muted to nothing. Again, this stuff gives Trump a LOT of ammunition!

ie. the Dems are back at it again. It they keep it up they can blow it bigtime!

That I agree. Especially if the Democrats are seen taking the side of those sending the police to the hospital. You'll have a ton of TV ads citing the Democrats as being pro-violence and definitely anti police and to add to that, anti law and order.

Yep, very possible.

But if this all settles down in a month, it won't mean anything as it will be ancient history in most voters minds. The pandemic will be front and center once again.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 10:39 PM

If it was my army I'd tell them to stand down. But the anarchists do not share our agenda and will do as they please.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/27/20 11:27 PM

Politics is all about perceptions. Republicans perceive Democrats a certain way, Democrats perceive Republicans in their way. The battle then becomes to try to get those in the middle to perceive each candidate in the way those running want themselves and their opponent to be perceived.

So many times, facts, truth, who's army, gets lost in the battle of perceptions. For a lot of folks it will look like the Democrats in charge of those cities are weak, condone the violence, support the defunding of police, have taken the side of the protesters over all and everything else.

How successful that will be, remains to be seen. So all this violence and putting police into the hospital can easily get some folks to view the democrats as crazy as loony birds. How many? Time will tell. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if BLM isn't being held responsible for the violence by quite a lot more folks than just a few days ago.They started the protests, their name has long been attached to those protests. So we'll have to wait and see.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/28/20 05:48 PM

Here's a good article on what I've been talking about.

"Despite Trump's goading, Biden steers clear of 'law and order' debate"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/despite-trump...-005436635.html

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/28/20 06:00 PM

This is America - EVERYTHING is based on perception! Fact, reality, you know, all that stuff is not all important. Instead we deny science, fact, etc.
Posted by: rporter314

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/28/20 08:02 PM

Quote:
How successful that will be, remains to be seen
Yes I am amazed AG Barr plead ignorance that violent federal provocations would potentionally be beneficial to Mr Trump's campaign.

I have to wonder just how far up Mr Trump's butt is AG Barr's head? or is AG Barr just stupid?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/28/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: rporter314

I have to wonder just how far up Mr Trump's butt is AG Barr's head? or is AG Barr just stupid?

Barr has zero morality, a man who believes any means is sanctified by his imagined divine goal. He is authoritarian slime. So, your question is moot. Neither, either or both could all be true, it doesn’t matter. Barr does this of his own volition.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/28/20 11:56 PM

I was thinking driving home from Burger King today. Being I have been military almost all my adult life, some 47 years. I'm amazed at the importance civilians place on race? Perhaps it because they never got to know, work with, depend on like we do and did in the military. Then again our structure was different, it was always Sergeant, Private, Captain, General or Mr. and Ms, Sir or Ma'am.

No one ever asked the soldier who had your back what race or religion he was. No one cared. You had your trust in him, his trust was with you. I've been told when it comes to race, religion also that I lived a sheltered life. Perhaps so.

I suppose as in race and religion, adding politics to the mix, those in the military, active retired or just served a few years. Even civilians working for the military seems to have a entire different outlook on this subject and perhaps life in general. Just curious.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/29/20 12:21 AM

offtopic
My thoughts on this, perotista, are that the disconnect between people in civilian life as opposed to those in service is due to the replacement of civic duties, obligations on the individual as citizens, with patriotism, a voluntary avowal of fealty to a Fatherland. I believe many miss the deeper meaning in the Samuel Johnson quote RE patriotism and scoundrels.

When humans go against their own humanity by denying the social nature of the species and the natural obligations on the individual you end up with a herd of atomized individuals habituated to distrust their fellows. This herd will accomplish very little due to a lack of trust and cooperation and is relatively easy to control by those willing to use any means at hand, the more violent the better.

The regular palace coups this system engenders is a definitive case of “a feature, not a bug.”
offtopic

Returning to Portland. smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/29/20 06:16 PM

My son, now 55/56 (not sure) Said to me the other day; "Dad, you always taught us that race doesn't matter and ignore it. Now, however, people get angry with me when I don't pay attention to somebody's race". I too have noticed that. Not much but it happens. I too find it strange as I simple don't give a damn. Sorry...........

Now, the Portland thing. This morning they were announcing that the troops are pulling out. I suspect somebody got the message as most of the so-called rioters are not even marchers but rather just plain citizens who have had enough of Trump troops. Last night there was a black wonman claiming, and seemed to be running things, that also noted that most of the marchers were white women supporting BLM.

Interesting times!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/29/20 10:13 PM

When you are shooting rubber bullets at Mothers Protecting Protesters and Veterans, then you need to figure out you have a losing argument. I bet Trump's pollsters discovered he was losing ground faster with Independents than he was gaining with his base.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 07/31/20 07:25 PM

Since the Trump troopers left the mothers are also pulling out. It seems that the march had been increased, by a lot, by regular citizens REALLY upset with Trump shenanigans. Seems that Trump folk finally figured that one out too.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/01/20 12:49 AM

The operation was a complete success. It achieved all of its goals:

1) Got some great footage of macho storm troopers - get up like they’re in some dystopian superhero film - kicking butt on those people. (Thugs! Rioters! Anarchists! They’re animals! Not really people at all ... Think what it would cost Hollywood to get footage like that. Man, I tell, ya!)

2) Kept the president’s antics in the news, delegating the virus and the economy below the fold, as it were.

3) Reinforced the bond between the president and “his people”.

4) Created more chaos and more uncertainty about what the president might do next.

5) Got in some great practice!

6) Gave the president an enormous amount of personal gratification: being able to say “Go kick some butt” and see it happen on TV? Fantastic!

7) And no one will stop him.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/05/20 06:53 PM

Portland has been having riots for several days, now. I know people there. They are REALLY sick and tired of it. Whatever the message was its gone. This is just pure rioting for, I guess, the fun of it? Oh, it will also firm up them that vote for Trump.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/p...5e-89236fc13ed3
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/08/04/portland-riots-read-out-august-4
https://www.foxnews.com/us/rioters-vandalize-portland-police-association-fire-protest

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/05/20 07:54 PM

So after this Oregon is probably gonna become a red state? Local and state Democrats will likely be defeated by the law and order Republicans? It looks to me like a state in civil war, the crazies have taken over the streets and the Dems are powerless to stop it!

There's an election coming up and there were surely be repercussions.

Very probably result in Donald Trump's re-election too. So the far left will once again be responsible for Democratic losses.

Damn lefties! Ruining everything for everyone.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/06/20 06:00 PM

If they stopped it they would have to be mean to the rioters! Are you suggesting police brutality! Horrors!!!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/06/20 06:57 PM

Every night around midnight, the police attack the protesters in an effort to clear the streets. Every night the protesters once again have to deal with police brutality.

It's like a snake eating it's tail. All the cops have to do to stop it is to stop doing what they do. Back the f*ck off. That's what the protest is about. Law enforcement's apparent inability to back the f*ck off and de-escalate tense situations.

Do that and the protesters will get bored and go home.

Did you see what the Colorado cops just did to that black family? They thought an SUV with a black family in it was a stolen motorcycle. Children were handcuffed at gunpoint and forced to lie on hot pavement....

Stop that sh*t and the protests will stop.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/06/20 08:27 PM

You don't understand. Its REALLY hard to tell the difference between a regular license plate and the half sized motor bike license. Even if they were the same and only different colors. Its just HARD! respect

Oh, almost forgot - you are probably right about the police.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/07/20 03:09 AM

So after this Oregon is probably gonna become a red state? Local and state Democrats will likely be defeated by the law and order Republicans?

Portland Metro decides the elections. Rural Oregon does not.

smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/07/20 01:01 PM

The last time Oregon voted Republican in a presidential election was 1984. Which was the last time New York and California went Republican. It isn't about to change stripes over a protest or anything else. Democrats outnumber Republicans in Oregon by 10 plus points.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/07/20 06:25 PM

I watched the Portland police being interviewed last night. They said that marchers with a reason to march are all gone and all that are left are those wanting to riot and destroy. This is not really surprising to me. Portland has always had a contingent of Anarchists down there. I remember them from the Seattle riots of the 60's - guess they are still there.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/08/20 01:18 AM

The ones who stay for the fireworks are goading the police into being their regular brutal, citizen hating selves. The right to free assembly doesn't end just because it's dark.

It a cat and mouse game until the cops catch on...protesters don't have jobs anymore so it's just entertainment for them.
Posted by: Ken Condon

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/08/20 02:20 AM

Portland Metro decides the elections. Rural Oregon does not.

Alert! Alert! Fox Gnuz at the moment!

Actually it is most of the Willamette Valley. Salem, Corvallis, some small towns here and there then Eugene. Also there is Bend east of the Cascades.
These places lean Blue. The rest of Oregon is essentially Trump Country. In fact during elections one can leave Eugene, go past the city limits and head out into the rural areas and you will immediately be greeted by Trump signs.

The whole world operates that way. Cities=Blue, Rural=Red..
Posted by: logtroll

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/08/20 03:17 AM

The ones who stay for the fireworks are goading the police into being their regular brutal, citizen hating selves. The right to free assembly doesn't end just because it's dark.

It a cat and mouse game until the cops catch on...protesters don't have jobs anymore so it's just entertainment for them.

I have a BIL who lives in Portland, a couple of miles from the federal building hotspot. He’s a GP doctor and his partner is a biology professor at a local university- both in their 50’s. They decided to take a walk and have a look at the demonstrations first hand, and were pleasantly surprised, and bemused, that the crowd was nothing like they had expected from news reports. Just a bunch of ordinary people walking around carrying signs and sometimes chanting slogans, mostly about Trump’s rent-a-cops going home. No violence, nobody “attacking” the building with its boarded up windows and big chain link fence. Around midnight Trump’s Troops appeared and started tear gassing and flash-banging the crowd while ordering them to disperse through megaphones. At that point things got chaotic, and some demonstrators began rattling the fence, but most retreated while trying to wash the chemicals off theirs faces. My BIL, who was well back from the demonstrators, got tear gassed, too - he said it was a horrible feeling. Shortly after that, the “police” (none of them Portland police dept) started using a different chemical that he said was “ten times more irritating”. They felt their health, and possibly lives, were in danger and they left.

He could only come away with the opinion that the actions of the “officers” were unwarranted aggravation of a peaceful demonstration, resulting in acts of indiscriminate force and brutality against peaceful citizens. It made him angry, and he can't believe our government would do such a thing.

No terrorist uprisings, no antifa - just citizens protesting bullying authoritarianism, who were treated to an example of what they were protesting in real time.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/08/20 05:01 PM

That was when the fed goons were still there. They are now gone and the rioters are left to have their good time. Last night, or the night before, they herded the police into a building and then tried to burn it down.

Yahoo! Must marching for the cause! Yahoo!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/09/20 12:05 AM

That was when the fed goons were still there. They are now gone and the rioters are left to have their good time. Last night, or the night before, they herded the police into a building and then tried to burn it down.

Yahoo! Must marching for the cause! Yahoo!

Does anybody know who they are? Or is it just generally assumed to be "Leftists", as the right wingers are doing. (Leftists is a pretty broad label, and preferred by the Rightists because of being an all inclusive smear). Is it "antifa" ( which is no group in particular), is it BLM (also vague)... who is it?

I find it to be very strange that no one actually cares who the rioters are, or why they are doing it. I think they are mentally unhealthy people with "violence personality disorder".

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/09/20 05:37 PM

Quote:
I think they are mentally unhealthy people with "violence personality disorder".

People like Donald Trump?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/09/20 06:54 PM

At the risk of iterating. Portland has always had a group of black flaggers there. In the 60's they waved their black flags and were proud of their anarchism - now, not so much. They can claim anything but this, they might even be waving BLM signs but that has nothing to do with the facts. If you don't understand what they stand for you can look it up.

They are the ones, for instance, that started WWI and were proud of that. They want all gov gone!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/22/20 03:39 PM

When Republicans talk about looters attacking Federal courts...they mean Donald Trump right? Hmm , smile

The fat old orange boy keeps losing in court over his taxes. coffee

#SoMuchLosing
Posted by: CPWILL

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/29/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: logtroll

I have a BIL who lives in Portland, a couple of miles from the federal building hotspot. He’s a GP doctor and his partner is a biology professor at a local university- both in their 50’s. They decided to take a walk and have a look at the demonstrations first hand, and were pleasantly surprised, and bemused, that the crowd was nothing like they had expected from news reports. Just a bunch of ordinary people walking around carrying signs and sometimes chanting slogans, mostly about Trump’s rent-a-cops going home. No violence, nobody “attacking” the building with its boarded up windows and big chain link fence. Around midnight Trump’s Troops appeared and started tear gassing and flash-banging the crowd while ordering them to disperse through megaphones. At that point things got chaotic, and some demonstrators began rattling the fence, but most retreated while trying to wash the chemicals off theirs faces. My BIL, who was well back from the demonstrators, got tear gassed, too - he said it was a horrible feeling. Shortly after that, the “police” (none of them Portland police dept) started using a different chemical that he said was “ten times more irritating”. They felt their health, and possibly lives, were in danger and they left.

He could only come away with the opinion that the actions of the “officers” were unwarranted aggravation of a peaceful demonstration, resulting in acts of indiscriminate force and brutality against peaceful citizens. It made him angry, and he can't believe our government would do such a thing.

No terrorist uprisings, no antifa - just citizens protesting bullying authoritarianism, who were treated to an example of what they were protesting in real time.

OC Spray - Oleoresin Capsicum. We got trained in it as part of the Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) workup. It was one of our crowd-dispersion methods in case we had to do something like go in and rescue an Embassy under siege.

One of my buddies at the time had taken some shrapnel in the butt on his last deployment. After we got sprayed, he said he'd rather have done that again, vice what we'd just been through (of course, for us, we got a direct liquid spray into the eye region before having to run a combat obstacle course, and it sucked). But it's real stuff.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/29/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: perotista
The last time Oregon voted Republican in a presidential election was 1984. Which was the last time New York and California went Republican. It isn't about to change stripes over a protest or anything else. Democrats outnumber Republicans in Oregon by 10 plus points.

I dunno. That would take a lot of voters becoming fishermen and, in today's tribal times, I don't know if I see that many honest swing voters in a place like that (you would know better).

I think we're more likely to see that effect pronounced in places like Wisconsin, tbh.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 01:34 AM

Quote:
One of my buddies at the time had taken some shrapnel in the butt on his last deployment. After we got sprayed, he said he'd rather have done that again, vice what we'd just been through (of course, for us, we got a direct liquid spray into the eye region before having to run a combat obstacle course, and it sucked). But it's real stuff.

I was sitting on my buddies couch one day doing cocaine and drinking beer when he picked up his wife's keychain that had a tiny "mace" dispenser. He gave it a quick, harmless, squirt in the air, but there was a fan across the room which caught that tiny burst of hellfire and blew it straight into my eyes. I thot I was gonna f*cken' go blind!

If there was a crowd of a thousand me's all they'd have to do is mention that sh*t and we would disperse pronto. No questions asked.

A combat obstacle course might have been a welcome distraction.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 02:22 PM

One shot dead as caravan of ‘concealed carry’ Trump supporters descend on Portland

Rightwingers see that Kyle Rittenhouse got a pass and sick fcks like (M)ann Coulter want to make him their president. Christian groups have raised over $200K for his defense. No wonder caravans of armed Trump supporters are now going to BLM protests shooting BLM protesters.

You rightwingers are sick people. mad

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 05:50 PM

Quote:

I was sitting on my buddies couch one day doing cocaine and drinking beer when he picked up his wife's keychain that had a tiny "mace" dispenser. He gave it a quick, harmless, squirt in the air, but there was a fan across the room which caught that tiny burst of hellfire and blew it straight into my eyes. I thot I was gonna f*cken' go blind!

If there was a crowd of a thousand me's all they'd have to do is mention that sh*t and we would disperse pronto. No questions asked.

A combat obstacle course might have been a welcome distraction.

:lol: frown It was not.

And then, because they were dicks, the guys running the course offered us hoses to wash our burning faces in, neglecting to tell us after we did it that "oh, yeah, by the way, water reignites all the chemicals in that stuff" while we were running around clawing at our faces.

Ah, good times laugh

So - YEAH - for anyone in the thread: if you are ever actually sprayed with that stuff, I strongly recommend dry-wiping as much of it away as possible (wiping only in motions that carry it away from your eyes, nose, and mouth), and then, if necessary, shaving the top layer of your face off before you take a shower.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

One shot dead as caravan of ‘concealed carry’ Trump supporters descend on Portland

Rightwingers see that Kyle Rittenhouse got a pass and sick fcks like (M)ann Coulter want to make him their president. Christian groups have raised over $200K for his defense. No wonder caravans of armed Trump supporters are now going to BLM protests shooting BLM protesters.

It takes a special kind of twisted heart to link a story about a group of anti-fa protestors murdering a rightwinger for being a member of the hated "Other", and draw the conclusion that it's the right wingers who are the sick people in that scenario.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 06:24 PM

I fear we are going to see A LOT more activity from the Christians and White Nationalists before this is all over. I suspect they think its time. They will all claim to be 'helping' and police will be cheering for them. In other words its gonna get A LOT worse!

They need experience as, I think, the big show comes after the coming election - they only got a couple of months to practice before their time comes.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CPWILL

It takes a special kind of twisted heart to link a story about a group of anti-fa protestors murdering a rightwinger for being a member of the hated "Other", and draw the conclusion that it's the right wingers who are the sick people in that scenario.

At the time I wrote that post, it was assumed the shooter was a Trump supporter. No twisted heart here - much to your chagrin.

The rest of the post stands. Have a talk with YOUR Boogaloo brethren and get back to me. smile

Besides, who knows...it still might turn out to be YOUR people pulling a false-flag. It's still early, yet. coffee

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 06:34 PM

I fear we are going to see A LOT more activity from the Christians and White Nationalists before this is all over. I suspect they think its time.

Exactly, rightwing trigger-happy gun-humpers have been lying-in-wait for this time to come for a quite some time. Hmm

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/30/20 07:41 PM

I wonder if Kenosha Kyle is a gamer. Seems like heavy first-person shooter game play might just make an impressionable young person think it's a good idea to go hunting real targets. I see a lot of support for him on line, by I suspect other young shoot-em-up game enthusiasts. When this all shakes out, are such video games going to be made illegal?

As for the Portland shooting, I don't think we have any idea what happened. Who exactly shot him, for example. He was in the midst of a bunch of hotheads with concealed weapons. Could it be he got into an altercation with somebody else in that group? Nobody seems to be talking. If it was a shooting by one of the protesters or a BLM member, you would think it would be all over the news.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 12:30 AM

I saw some red-hatted demonstrators out in town yesterday, "Honk if you love the 2nd Amendment!"

Wouldn't it be nice if they loved the "well regulated militia" part?

Kyle da Kid needed some regulation, instead of running around solo with some teenage delusions of being a fekking hero. Video games very likely played into that.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 12:35 AM

I wonder if Kenosha Kyle is a gamer. Seems like heavy first-person shooter game play might just make an impressionable young person think it's a good idea to go hunting real targets. I see a lot of support for him on line, by I suspect other young shoot-em-up game enthusiasts. When this all shakes out, are such video games going to be made illegal?

As for the Portland shooting, I don't think we have any idea what happened. Who exactly shot him, for example. He was in the midst of a bunch of hotheads with concealed weapons. Could it be he got into an altercation with somebody else in that group? Nobody seems to be talking. If it was a shooting by one of the protesters or a BLM member, you would think it would be all over the news.

Whatever the case may be, Kyle is an imbecile who is unable to separate fantasy from reality if he's a gamer. Kyle needs to be tried as an adult. mad

re: Portland shooter
Exactly, progressives are not known to bring guns to a protest - but rightwingers are. Hmm

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 11:51 AM

Interesting, the real difference between Biden and Trump is quickly emerging following these latest violent protests and killings.

Trump is clearly choosing authoritarian displays of force, emphasizing opposing “sides” (including petty insults to local leaders and threats to push them aside and take over), which increases the anger, divisions, and chaos (that is fascism).

Biden is condemning the violence all around and seeking to work with everyone to develop some solutions. He is condemning the violence, not the people, a very important distinction.

The same dynamic is playing out with the pandemic - the not wearing/wearing of masks being the most prominent (and simple-minded) area of imbecilic division sown by Trump himself.

I think today begins the sinking of Trump’s reelection strategy of mindless division, fear, and chaos. The competing memes will be Biden, the caring father, vs Trump, the shallow and petulant Prince (who would be King).

That is my observation and prediction- stay tuned!

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 12:15 PM

Trump is all about stoking tensions by egging on armed supporters to confront Black Lives Matter protesters. Instead of telling his supporters to stay away from Portland, Kenosha, Wis., and other cities where rioters reign, Trump encourages his armed ammoxexual Americans ISIS terrorists to go to these cities and "fight with antiFA."

re: Kyle Rittenhouse

17 year old Kyle Rittenhouse was the one that travelled across state lines as a 17-year-old, to possess a weapon he was not allowed to possess, to stand guard outside a used car lot that no one asked him to stand guard at.

The first person that 17 year old Kyle Rittenhouse shot didn’t have a weapon. The second person he shot and killed came at him with a skateboard. Conservative logic states the guy who had an AR-15 was in reasonable fear of his life from a guy with a skateboard.

Hmm

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Trump is clearly choosing authoritarian displays of force, emphasizing opposing “sides” (including petty insults to local leaders and threats to push them aside and take over), which increases the anger, divisions, and chaos (that is fascism).

Biden is condemning the violence all around and seeking to work with everyone to develop some solutions. He is condemning the violence, not the people, a very important distinction.

And thank Propaganda Barbie for this declaration of intent:

“The more chaos and anarchy and vandalism and violence reigns, the better it is for the very clear choice on who’s best on public safety and law and order.”

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 08/31/20 05:42 PM

I can only wonder why Trump isn't going to Portland. Given that he hid in the White House basement when he felt threatened I think I may understand but not sure. One would think, with all his rhetoric, that he would be there leading the charge right now.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/04/20 09:42 PM

Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, a suspect in the shooting of rightwing extremist Aaron "Jay" Danielson at a Portland protest, was shot and killed outside his home last night by members of a fugitive task force as they went to arrest him. According to initial reports from the US Marshals service, the "suspect produced a firearm, threatening the lives of law enforcement officers" and "[t]ask force members responded to the threat and struck the suspect who was pronounced dead at the scene."

This occurred not long after Vice News aired an interview with Reinoehl, in which he confessed to shooting his gun at the protest.

Media reports have portrayed members of Patriot Prayer and the rest of the "pro-Trump" contingent as simply driving through the protest spraying people with paintballs and pepper spray, but Reinoehl said they also had more serious weapons, and that he had seen them earlier when he was downtown.

Quote:
"I'm seeing all these vehicles with hatred, people in the backs of the trucks yelling and screaming and swinging bats and sticks at protesters that are just standing there yelling at them," he said.

At 8:45 p.m., Reinoehl said he went to the aid of a friend surrounded by trucks laden with armed pro-Trump protesters. "I saw someone that is a dear and close friend of mine in the movement by himself basically confronting all these vehicles," Reinoehl told Farley. "And so I let him know that I'm here, parked my vehicle and joined up with him, found myself in the intersection in front of the food trucks surrounded by trucks and cars that had weapons."

It was then that he found himself in a confrontation with Danielson, who Reinoehl says was threatening him and his friend with a knife. "Had I stepped forward, he would have maced or stabbed me," Reinoehl said.

According to video, Danielson did indeed spray some mace.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/04/20 09:42 PM

The intial victim, Aaron "Jay" Danielson, was with Patriot Prayer, a notoriously violent rightwing group founded by Joey Gibson, a close friend of his. Their primary purpose, supposedly, is securing "free speech" for conservatives in liberal areas of the country, which they already have. They fight for this supposed need by trawling the Pacific Northwest attempting to pick fights with antiFA activists.

Jeremy Joseph Christian of the Patriot Prayer group is currently serving a life sentence for fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third on a Portland train after those people asked him to stop screaming racial slurs at two black teenage girls. He remains convinced he did nothing wrong, as he believes those people were attempting to infringe on his "free speech rights."

Ian Kramer, a member of the Patriot Prayer group, beat a woman so badly that he broke her vertebrae after the group decided to go to a bar where antifa activists hung out in order to harass them.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/04/20 09:46 PM

There are certainly a lot of parallels to this shooting and the one in Kenosha, in which aspiring cop and Trump supporter Kyle Rittenhouse shot and killed two people and injured one during a protest. The difference, of course, is that Kyle Rittenhouse is a conservative and is also still alive. Another difference is that the Right is arguing that his shooting was self-defense because someone threw a plastic bag towards him and another person hit him with his skateboard after he, Rittenhouse, shot the man with the plastic bag in the head. They do not believe that Reinoehl was acting in self-defense in shooting Danielson after being maced by him.

Prior to the fugitive task force shooting Reinoehl, Donald Trump sent out a tweet demanding his arrest.

That, of course, did not actually happen.

Given Patriot Prayer's history of violently attacking leftist protesters, I can understand why someone might think they need "security." But deadly force is not an appropriate response to the threat of pepper spray. It's odd that President Trump and all of Fox News believe deadly force is an appropriate response to someone throwing a plastic bag, or someone attempting to disarm you after you've shot and killed a person armed with a plastic bag.

Rightwingers think it's okay for their side to kill us and that is just what 17 year Kyle Rittenhouse did. I take it back. Rigtwingers think it's their absolute right to kill us.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/05/20 03:35 PM

There is video of 17 year old Kyle Rittenhouse beating a girl.

What's with Rightwingers beating women? Sounds like they might have a small dick inferiority problem. coffee

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/05/20 06:25 PM

It seems as if the police are actually supporters of the white nationalist, el al. (they roam in an entire panoply of names) They encouraged them wherever they were. In Portland the police, in theory, were there to make sure that the 1000+ string of cars would NOT be anywhere the marchers. That being said a bunch just peeled off and went to visit the marchers and the police seemed to just ignore that.

I wonder about Trump and his civil war. The White Nationalists, for instance, have always claimed that their main goal is a civil war! Now add in their associations with a variety of police forces as well. So, Trump forces, so far, have White Nationalists, and a variety of police forces, so far. I wonder who else will show up under the Trump banner. Hopefully our intelligence and military is keeping an eye on this so they know who to watch when the time comes?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/05/20 07:28 PM

Latest DHS report says right-wing extremists pose the greatest threat in America today. The report doesn't even mention antifa. According to the report, right-wingers and White Supremacists are more dangerous in the US than Islamic terrorists.

I also see the FBI has arrested two Bugaloo Bois who planned to blow up national monuments, assassinate politicians, make silencers and sell them to Hamas, and even join Hamas as mercenaries to kill Jews. It's nice to see that though the leadership of the Justice Department may be corrupt, the agents out there in the field are actually doing their best to protect us from real domestic terrorism.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/05/20 07:37 PM

It seems as if the police are actually supporters of the white nationalist, el al. (they roam in an entire panoply of names) They encouraged them wherever they were.

I 100% agree. Kyle Rittenhouse was allowed to cross state lines and go back home. He also was not harmed during his arrest.

Whereas, within a few hours of the Vice News aired interview with Reinoehl, Reinoehl, was tracked down like a dog by members of a fugitive task force and murdered without due process.

Being white and conservative in America has its privilege. smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/05/20 07:39 PM

Latest DHS report says right-wing extremists pose the greatest threat in America today. The report doesn't even mention antifa. According to the report, right-wingers and White Supremacists are more dangerous in the US than Islamic terrorists.

I also see the FBI has arrested two Bugaloo Bois who planned to blow up national monuments, assassinate politicians, make silencers and sell them to Hamas, and even join Hamas as mercenaries to kill Jews. It's nice to see that though the leadership of the Justice Department may be corrupt, the agents out there in the field are actually doing their best to protect us from real domestic terrorism.

I cited three examples on page seven of this thread where the notoriously violent rightwing Patrtiot Prayer group has injured or killed people with abandon.

Hmm

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/06/20 06:06 PM

In addition to white supremacists and the police I should have added QANON (approximately 6 million) supporters as well. The most extreme believe that Trump is actually a savior of the country blessed by God! This adds crazies to the Trump mix.

We now have about 2 more months before we all get to see how these folks descend on the rest of us with their Dear Leader leading from behind.

Interesting Times?

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/06/20 06:17 PM

I suspect this election could have a major coattails effect, since Republicans at every level have supported things unpopular with the voting public, like police brutality and voter suppression. We might see congressmen, state assembly members, and all the way down to county and city officials losing their jobs for acting in ways the people do not support. I hope their opponents point out this in their campaign literature.

Hard to counter "My opponent wants you dead, and certainly not voting".

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/07/20 07:25 PM

There are a LOT of things wrong with the police. Things like Qualified Immunity, Police Unions, Dealing with mental illness, family problems, etc. The strange thing is that there are departments who understood this and dealt with it (to one degree or another). I think it was Camden, NJ that literally fired their entire force and started from scratch (and actually saved big bucks as well as now having a police force that is much better, cheaper to run, etc. I am suggesting that there are examples to be had on how to do it, the secret remains - how to do it. I think the solution is, probably, gumption and smarts just to start.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/08/20 04:02 AM

Good to know the Dear Leader has learned from the best.

1) Rounding up the usual suspects (Any resemblance to occurrences in Portland, OR and Lacey, WA are purely coincidental.):
Originally Posted By: WaPo
MOSCOW — Maria Kolesnikova, one of three Belarus women who ran the opposition campaign against longtime authoritarian president Alexander Lukashenko, was detained by a group of unknown men and shoved into a van Monday morning, according to independent Belarusian media citing a witness.

2) How to deal with natural disasters and human tragedy:
Originally Posted By: WaPo2
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un toured coastal areas hit by Maysak on Sunday, and he ordered party members to join the recovery effort, Korea Central News Agency reported. More than 1,000 homes were destroyed by Maysak, state media reported, with dozens of casualties.

But recriminations have already begun in North Korea over the damage caused by Maysak.

Kim dismissed the party chief of South Hamgyong province on Sunday, while the official Rodong Sinmun newspaper said party officials in the coastal city of Wonsan would be “gravely punished” for failing to follow orders and prevent the damage.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/20/20 07:47 AM

I suspect this election could have a major coattails effect, since Republicans at every level have supported things unpopular with the voting public, like police brutality and voter suppression. We might see congressmen, state assembly members, and all the way down to county and city officials losing their jobs for acting in ways the people do not support. I hope their opponents point out this in their campaign literature.

Hard to counter "My opponent wants you dead, and certainly not voting".

Not really. You counter with "No, MY opponent wants you dead, and certainly not voting."

So, both parties ramp up the hyperbolic panic ('cause, - hey! - it's effective).

And both sets of tribal followers increasingly believe it frown

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/20/20 12:55 PM

Not really. You counter with "No, MY opponent wants you dead, and certainly not voting."

So, both parties ramp up the hyperbolic panic ('cause, - hey! - it's effective).

From the Round Table:

Quote:
Those like Megan McCain who claim the "both sides" argument are being intellectually lazy and dishonest. The both sides argument, from my observation, seem to originate from the right side of the political spectrum. Just sayin'. smile

Thanks for proving my point. I appreciate it. laugh

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/22/20 12:22 AM

From the Round Table:

Quote:
Those like Megan McCain who claim the "both sides" argument are being intellectually lazy and dishonest. The both sides argument, from my observation, seem to originate from the right side of the political spectrum. Just sayin'. smile

Thanks for proving my point. I appreciate it. laugh

:shrug: If you really want to say that - while agreeably few - there are more honest people on the right who recognize that both sides have these problems and engage in this kind of idiotic hyperbole than there are on the left, well, I agree smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/22/20 05:04 AM

If you really want to say that - while agreeably few - there are more honest people on the right who recognize that both sides have these problems and engage in this kind of idiotic hyperbole than there are on the left, well, I agree smile

Wigga please. You project as much as your buddy stroke victim Trump. You two seem to have a lot in common. smile

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/22/20 10:48 PM

If you really want to say that - while agreeably few - there are more honest people on the right who recognize that both sides have these problems and engage in this kind of idiotic hyperbole than there are on the left, well, I agree smile

Wigga please. You project as much as your buddy stroke victim Trump. You two seem to have a lot in common. smile

smile Now I remember why I stopped responding to you. It's unfortunate that, even here, we get trolls.

Re: Portland. A Turning Point? - 09/23/20 12:22 PM

smile Now I remember why I stopped responding to you. It's unfortunate that, even here, we get trolls.

"We?" You're hardly a member of the Reader Rant community with your piddly 451 posts since 2019 and your "look at me! Ex-Army Ranger here" bullsh!t. As if. That was such a Trumpian move on your part.

I've been a member of Reader Rant since 2005. The only one trolling here is you with your rightwing hyperbole and your "both sides" asinine analysis.

You rightwinges love your victimhood, because you're sad fcks. If you never respond to me ever again, it would be too soon. smile