Will Trump Debate a Democrat?

Posted by: Jeffery J. Haas

Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 12:40 AM

Will Trump Debate a Democrat in 2020?
Hes Not So Sure

Quote:
WASHINGTON President Trump is discussing with his advisers the possibility of sitting out the general election debates in 2020 because of his misgivings about the commission that oversees them, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

Mr. Trump has told advisers that he does not trust the Commission on Presidential Debates, the nonprofit entity that sponsors the debates, the two people said.

Setting the stage for William Barr to debate the Democrats?
Setting the stage for Putin to debate the Democrats?
Setting the stage for another Saudi invasion and suspension of Election 2020?
Setting the stage for a sudden exit "due to health problems"?

Setting the stage for WHAT exactly?
Posted by: Ujest Shurly

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 12:56 PM

If his opponent is someone he thinks he can not intimidate; President Donald (...) Trump will not debate them. Remember he is a Coward.

A reason I am saddened Kamala Harris dropped out. But then again, it is the same reason I thought Hillary would eat his lunch. So what do I know...
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Will Trump Debate a Democrat in 2020?
Hes Not So Sure

Quote:
WASHINGTON President Trump is discussing with his advisers the possibility of sitting out the general election debates in 2020 because of his misgivings about the commission that oversees them, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

Mr. Trump has told advisers that he does not trust the Commission on Presidential Debates, the nonprofit entity that sponsors the debates, the two people said.

Setting the stage for William Barr to debate the Democrats?
Setting the stage for Putin to debate the Democrats?
Setting the stage for another Saudi invasion and suspension of Election 2020?
Setting the stage for a sudden exit "due to health problems"?

Setting the stage for WHAT exactly?

Every day is another increment in the slide towards autocracy.
Posted by: Greger

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 06:30 PM

Quote:

I'm aware. But we're gonna hafta hit rock bottom before we can begin to recover. We're pretty close now. A second Trump term would seal the deal, but with luck we can short circuit the worst of it and defeat him in 2020.

About Trump debating anyone...It's just a bad idea. He doesn't debate, he bullies, and would just focus on damaging his opponent, there would be no winners and it would get ugly. But it's gonna be an ugly election anyway.

Trump might be doing us a favor by refusing to debate. He's certainly doing himself a favor.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:

I'm aware. But we're gonna hafta hit rock bottom before we can begin to recover. We're pretty close now. A second Trump term would seal the deal, but with luck we can short circuit the worst of it and defeat him in 2020.

About Trump debating anyone...It's just a bad idea. He doesn't debate, he bullies, and would just focus on damaging his opponent, there would be no winners and it would get ugly. But it's gonna be an ugly election anyway.

Trump might be doing us a favor by refusing to debate. He's certainly doing himself a favor.

Then we must be smart enough to learn how to "hack" his hubris.
Posted by: pondering_it_all

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/13/19 08:58 PM

Even more useful than debate, would be testimony under oath, either before congress or in court. In a debate, he would lie like crazy and pull stuff out of his butt. I'm not sure how that Senate trial is going to go when Trump's lawyers (wisely) refuse to let him testify. I don't think he's been under oath in a very long time.
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/14/19 02:33 AM

The Coward in Chief is thinking about not going to the debates next year. His idiot base will be fine with that. coffee
Posted by: jgw

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/14/19 07:34 PM

Trump advisors will do ANYTHING not to let this happen. Think on it. His own attorneys would not let him testify for Mueller because the man just doesn't lie, he lies when the truth is better and can't help himself. The Republicans are, basically, committed to supporting a man who is wrong in the head.

So, its just not gonna happen, even if they have to tie him down!

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/15/19 09:43 PM

They didn't stop him from sending written answers back to Mueller's questions. Those answers apparently contained some fabrications, in the light of more recent information. It will be interesting to see if Trump is indicted for perjury after leaving office just because of that.
Posted by: pdx rick

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/16/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
They didn't stop him from sending written answers back to Mueller's questions. Those answers apparently contained some fabrications, in the light of more recent information. It will be interesting to see if Trump is indicted for perjury after leaving office just because of that.

Perhaps the Idiot-in-Chief will phone it in for the debate. coffee

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/16/19 02:17 AM

Word is he doesn't trust the debate commission. Because it isn't completely loyal to him I suppose. They'd trap him into lying by asking him questions.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/17/19 05:03 AM

Quote:
They'd trap him into lying by asking him questions.

I don't see why that would be a problem. It's not like he would be under oath or anything. He lied his ass off in the last set of debates, and his base thinks that was great. I think it might be too stressful for him. He might flip into a full psychotic break on national TV. That would not bother his base, but it might scare some independents off.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/18/19 06:05 AM

I guess he's already there:

Cuckcoo for Cocoa Puffs

I think it's becoming obvious to everyone that Trump actually believes all of this crap. Instead of impeachment, he needs a good psychiatrist to check him out, get some anti-psychotic or anti-senility drugs on board, and then do an Amendment 25 thingie so the poor guy can get some help. If Democrats still want an impeachment, they can impeach Pence for his part in the Ukraine fiasco.

Some of the stuff he does is certainly evil, but I'm starting to feel sorry for Trump. He needs help, and everybody is using him for political ping pong instead of getting him that help. I think maybe a few concerned Senators could get this to happen, like Romney.
Posted by: rporter314

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/18/19 07:25 PM

Actually it is unnecessary to even ask a question. Simply allow him to ramble about anything. He is compelled to lie because he is a narcissist.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/19/19 02:37 AM

I think it's gone beyond simple narcissism. He's highly delusional, and taking a chunk of the country with him on this trip. If I worked at the White House I would want to be absent on the day they decide everybody should have some Koolaid.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/19/19 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I guess he's already there:

Cuckcoo for Cocoa Puffs

I think it's becoming obvious to everyone that Trump actually believes all of this crap. Instead of impeachment, he needs a good psychiatrist to check him out, get some anti-psychotic or anti-senility drugs on board, and then do an Amendment 25 thingie so the poor guy can get some help. If Democrats still want an impeachment, they can impeach Pence for his part in the Ukraine fiasco.

As we learned, Article 25 won't work because Trump does not actually have a cabinet anymore, he has "acting dept heads".
His ACTUAL "cabinet" is Jared Kushner.
In fact, seeing as how Trump is always golfing, tweeting or holding rallies, or watching Fox, Kushner is pretty much the defacto POTUS.

And it STILL takes, IIRC, a supermajority in the Senate, something that will never happen unless or until Trump causes a mushroom cloud to appear over one of our major cities.
Posted by: Hamish Howl

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/19/19 02:30 PM

And it STILL takes, IIRC, a supermajority in the Senate, something that will never happen unless or until Trump causes a mushroom cloud to appear over one of our major cities.

That wouldn't even do it. Trump would say that the city was full of Never Trumpers and the rank & file would crow about how it was the biggest mushroom cloud ever.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/19/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl

That wouldn't even do it. Trump would say that the city was full of Never Trumpers and the rank & file would crow about how it was the biggest mushroom cloud ever.

Fraid you're right, because I suspect El Lay Cali would be #1 on the list of cities he wants to destroy in order "to save it".

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/20/19 01:43 AM

On tonight's Democratic debate, Andrew Yang mentioned THORIUM.
This is important!
Posted by: NW Ponderer

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/20/19 05:16 AM

He may not be around to debate one.
Posted by: rporter314

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/20/19 03:12 PM

I believe the delusions of a narcissist are dependent on the venue and the outside pressure exerted on the narcissist. Thus we have someone who occupies a global stage with 24/7 coverage, which in itself is more than overwhelming, but there is the additional pressure from more than half a country which denigrates and punctures the delusional balloon. He has to compensate by creating even more extravagant delusions to maintain the facade he has erected to himself.

A thought which I have passed on, is the notion he has been on a mental decline for a while. Some say dementia, some cracking under pressure. I now have to wonder, as the world begins caving in on him will he actually have a mental breakdown? Perhaps an analogy would be the gas laws i.e. as the volume decreases, the pressure increases ... and pop.

Re: Will Trump Debate a Democrat? - 12/20/19 06:14 PM

On tonight's Democratic debate, Andrew Yang mentioned THORIUM.
This is important!

No it's not. Research is continuing and eventually small reactors may become a reality. China will soon be firing up the first fusion reactor...we have to first keep the world from devolving into war and pestilence or the only nuclear energy we're going to see is in the form of missiles.
Yang only exists at this point as a color commentator.