Google Adsense
Page 7 of 21 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#107362 - 04/13/09 08:47 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: EmmaG]
nancyvideo Offline
stranger

Loc: South Carolina
 Originally Posted By: EmmaG
I've thought about that, NW. I am not surprised that Nancy has not responded, although I suspect she has read our responses. In reading back over the thread, I think that her post has given us all an opportunity to express our feelings, to vent, whatever. I have found it useful in that regard. I don't think anyone has been rude.

EmmaG

For some reason, I have not recieved notice of comments in my e-mail, unlike other posts.
I post here in order to engage in debate with others (liberals) who have a different view than my own - in order that I may better understand both the issue and liberals. Those who complain of drive-by posters instead of discussing the issues clearly are seeking to divert attention to the messenger - IMHO, a favorite tactic of the left.
I am more than willing to defend both my views and my facts and would love to entertain an opposing view, as long as it is not based on emotion.

#107363 - 04/13/09 08:49 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: Phil Hoskins]
nancyvideo Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
Get over it Nancyvideo. You tired to impose your beliefs on me long enough. You have no right to do so. Stop it or I am going to make you go lesbian.

You're saying I have no right to an opinion if it differs from your own? Hmmm...

#107364 - 04/13/09 08:50 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: EmmaG]
nancyvideo Offline
stranger

This was on another forum as a response to another person named Nancy. It cracked me up.

Quote:
Keep trying Nancy !!
You'll meet the right guy !!

Beauty is only SKIN DEEP !!

But please try and stay sober next time

Thanks Emma. I'd love to meet the right guy. Anyone out there interested in a recovering alcoholic?:)

#107366 - 04/13/09 09:31 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: nancyvideo]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
 Originally Posted By: nancyvideo
I've thought about that, NW. I am not surprised that Nancy has not responded, although I suspect she has read our responses. In reading back over the thread, I think that her post has given us all an opportunity to express our feelings, to vent, whatever. I have found it useful in that regard. I don't think anyone has been rude.

EmmaG

For some reason, I have not recieved notice of comments in my e-mail, unlike other posts.
I post here in order to engage in debate with others (liberals) who have a different view than my own - in order that I may better understand both the issue and liberals. Those who complain of drive-by posters instead of discussing the issues clearly are seeking to divert attention to the messenger - IMHO, a favorite tactic of the left.
I am more than willing to defend both my views and my facts and would love to entertain an opposing view, as long as it is not based on emotion.

Nancy, your response is a little disingenuous. All of us here have been discussing and debating away. Where were you? And sorry, you don't get to dictate the rules of how we present our opposing views -- with emotion or without. As we say down here in Florida, that dog don't hunt.

EmmaG

P.S. I don't get notices of posts in my emails either. But then again, I didn't set my preferences to do that.

#107367 - 04/13/09 09:29 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: nancyvideo]
Almost Naomi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
 Quote:
I post here in order to engage in debate with others (liberals) who have a different view than my own - in order that I may better understand both the issue and liberals.

Okay...makes sense. And along those lines, maybe you can help me better understand some conservatives.

Since the war in Iraq began, I have been trying to understand how some who call themselves Christian can say they are one thing and do the exact opposite. Jesus, in the New Testament, teaches non-judgment and love. Just that and nothing else. (Judge not, lest you be judged. Love your enemy, do good to those that hate you, bless those who curse you.) Nowhere did Jesus ever support war or attack.

This administration wants to at least attempt a peaceful approach. The last waged war on a country that never attacked us. Those who support that approach and that war, by simple logic, can't be Christians because Jesus taught only peace.

My perception is, in that respect, Mr. Obama is more in line with Christianity than Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney were. Would you agree? And if not, why?

#107369 - 04/13/09 10:24 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: nancyvideo]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
I'd love to meet the right guy. Anyone out there interested in a recovering alcoholic?:)

Come on down to Florida, Nancy! I'd love to meet someone too, at this age we all seem to be recovering from something.
 Quote:
...a favorite tactic of the left.
Honestly, Nancy, it's just human nature, when you think about it there really isn't a Right and a Left, merely Americans with slightly differing opinions about how our government should address the issues. Your article was religious in nature and we run the gamut here from atheist to agnostic to Buddhist to Christian. What we all agree on is that government should be largely secular. Our Founders were Deists, not Christians. Deism is simply "a philosophical belief in the existence of a God on the basis of reason, and observation of the natural world alone"
A faith not at odds with Christians, Jews, or Muslims. Buddhism doesn't require a belief in God, it's quite possible to be a Christian and a Buddhist. Funny world aint it.
By aligning yourself with what you perceive to be "the right"
you are limiting your options, "the right" is not right about everything, neither is "the left", America became what it is today by joining forces and working together, people of all colors, creeds, and nationalities. The greatest enemy America faces today is itself, we have been divided and we have almost been conquered. Unless we rally our forces and work together we may become nothing but a shell of what was once a great great Nation. Clinton sucked, Bush sucked. Obama is trying not to suck and I'm just hoping for the best.

#107370 - 04/13/09 10:26 AM Re: Replacing God [Re: nancyvideo]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
 Quote:

You're saying I have no right to an opinion if it differs from your own? Hmmm...

Thanks Emma. I'd love to meet the right guy. Anyone out there interested in a recovering alcoholic?:)

Well, now I'm convinced! If that isn't a meaningful, reasoned, and supported defense of one's position, then I guess we'll nver see one!

#107383 - 04/13/09 01:12 PM Re: Replacing God [Re: loganrbt]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
In case anyone is interested, here is a link to see where alse Nancy is posting her thoughts. I appears that she is an editor at RightBias dot com.... a site where, no matter how thin the pancake, there is only one side

link

#107385 - 04/13/09 01:18 PM Re: Replacing God [Re: nancyvideo]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I appreciate this approach, Nancy, I just wish you would approach your opinions the same way. There was a distinct lack of facts in your opening, which is why I, personally, reacted so negatively. It was long on insult, and short on reality.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#107391 - 04/13/09 01:48 PM Re: Replacing God [Re: ]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now, having given a broad complaint, let me be specific. How does one get from
While speaking in Ankara, Turkey this week, President Obama made an astonishing proclamation. He claimed, "We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation."
First, how is that astonishing? It has been true for well over 200 years. It's in the FRICKIN' CONSTITUTION! Been there from the start, or do you not read the words? Then you complain that
 Quote:
Instead, he said, "We are a nation of citizens", essentially assigning fealty to 'the state' over fealty to God.
Where is the logic in that? It is a leap well beyond the words and context. This is what is commonly referred to as a non sequitur.* This is the biggest problem I have with most of your diatribes = you start with a premise that is patently false, then complain that the world does not revolve around your viewpoint. The reality is that the Constitution explicitly rejects the position you wish to ascribe to it - the United States government - and as its chief executive, the President - is prohibited from conducting its business in support of a particular religious viewpoint. Because the President has correctly followed this constitutional precept, you lambaste him for not following your views of god's dictates?

The next argument follows the same lack of logical structure...
 Quote:
Back home in the U.S., Newsweek editor Jon Meacham welcomed The End of Christian America: "The decline and fall of the modern religious right's notion of a Christian America creates a calmer political environment and, for many believers, may help open the way for a more theologically serious religious life."
From this you glean
 Quote:
God is now outdated, at least among our political and media elite.
Let me break this down... Mr. Meacham is saying that one view - the religious right - is inconsonant with "a calmer political environment." He goes on to say that this .. "may help open the way for a more theologically serious religious life." What he is saying is that it will broaden the discussion of theology. What you are saying is that any version of theology, and more particularly, Christian theology, that is not based upon the strictures of the religious right is illegitimate. What I think has been rejected throughout this thread is the intolerance that viewpoint reflects. Indeed, the religious right is a fringe element, it just doesn't realize it yet, because it has constructed a viewpoint that is so out of touch with the human condition (and Jesus' teachings) that it is, and in my opinion should be, rejected as uninformed and failing to provide meaningful input to society as a whole, and most particularly is irrelevant to the constitutional/political structure.

*A comment which, due to its lack of meaning relative to the comment it follows, is absurd to the point of being humorous or confusing. Its use can be deliberate or unintentional. Literally, it is Latin for "it does not follow". In other literature, a non sequitur can denote an abrupt, illogical, unexpected or absurd turn of plot or dialogue not normally associated with or appropriate to that preceding it. It is a type of logical fallacy.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Page 7 of 21 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 21 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2