Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#108795 - 04/22/09 02:30 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Ardy]
Ron G. Offline

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
 Originally Posted By: Ardy
All amusement aside, I was really hoping that there would be some serious comment from an angry conservative

Ardy, I regard myself as a conservative, but I'm not particularly angry.

What I see is a lot of right-leaning faux "conservatives" lamenting that they are out of power. What I see is a lot of left-leaning types who have bought into the mistaken notion that these people and what they stand/stood for was actually a conservative philosophy.

#108813 - 04/22/09 03:55 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Greger]
Livetoride Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tennessee
As far as NV, I have no idea about her motivation to spew that crap- other than the opinion I shared on another thread, but Rush, Hannity and the rest all seem to hit the same points on any given day. It’s like they all read the same talking points and go out and do their show based on those talking points. Can you say Rove? I’ve noticed that about the shows going back to the Clinton days. To me, it was apparent.
I must admit, I just don’t listen to them as much anymore. I came to a point where I realized that life’s just too short to waste time on those idiots.
I would like to offer up a suggestion that, to me, their hatred is not new. For 8 years they have focused only on the ideologies of the left. They’ve had no extraordinary figure to focus their discussion such as Clinton. Sure it got a little easier after the Dems took congress over but for 6 of those 8 years the Dems were basically non-existent. They have, at times, had to manufacture if you will, issues to divide the country. I’ll offer the Terri Schiavo feeding tube episode. I read/heard somewhere that a local talk radio host brought this situation up, Hannity picked up on it and all of the sudden the the good doctor from Tennessee (Frist) was diagnosing Schiavo from the Senate floor off a video. Many of my conservative friends were nervous about the repubs making this such an issue. Many felt that Hannity and the like had pressured the party into taking a position- a position that split repubs. One couldn’t turn on FOX without them interviewing the mother or father of Ms Schiavo.
My point is that the hatred isn’t new, it’s just been marinating for a while. They’ve simply picked it up a notch now that the Dem’s occupy 1600 Pennsylvania Av. Work just got a little easier. Yeah, Rush has pulled out the big cigar and kicked up his heels and breathed a sigh of relief. I think they got tired of defending their guy and this is a welcomed change.
Of course, we can always agree to disagree….
Livetoride

#108814 - 04/22/09 03:59 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Ron G.]
Livetoride Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tennessee
Probably the best summation I’ve read anywhere….and so concise.
Livetoride

#108847 - 04/22/09 09:50 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Livetoride]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lone, have you looked at the kettle lately?

Anyway, I don't think, as Ron points out, that "conservatives" are necessarily angry, but the angry identify themselves (rightly or wrongly) as "conservatives." There are many strains of conservatives, and not all of them are necessarily of the Limbaugh/Hannity/O'R idiot variety.

There are, though, a lot of stupid ignorant ill-informed people that are manipulated by these guys to think outside of their own interests, and there are some people on this forum whose support of ostensibly "conservative" positions who simply flabbergast me. Clearly we have a different idea of what "conservative" thought represents.

Personally, I don't have much respect for what passes for conservative thought - in any of its strains. For a time I tried to, but determined that there wasn't much thought in most of it - just reactions. There were self-identified conservatives that I enjoyed discussions with, but that group has largely departed. There are still a few here that I can engage with, but even some whom I used to find intellectual stimulation in conversing with have, indeed, become very angry. There are still a few, though, that can be reasoned with. They might be surprised at how hungry I am for some effort to reason back.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#108878 - 04/23/09 12:40 AM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Livetoride]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
No. Livetoride, I don't think we need to agree to disagree, I'm gonna just go ahead and agree with you.

Ron, thanks for pointing out that the "conservatives" who are angry aren't necessarily really conservatives at all. Since they call themselves conservative though we sort of fall in line and call them that too. Right Wingnuts is less respectful but possibly more accurate. I have complete respect for conservatives and find that our views often are not far apart. The Republican party in general though has left the high road and is bumping along on a crooked and narrow minded path.

#108901 - 04/23/09 11:28 AM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Greger]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
The "conservatives" in my life (relatives) aren't so much angry as they are scared.
It's a mystery to me.
They are worried about the financial future of the country.
NOW they are really worried.

I've forgotten the definition of true conservatism.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#108904 - 04/23/09 11:37 AM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: olyve]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
so have they.

#108916 - 04/23/09 12:46 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Lone_Hawk]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
 Originally Posted By: Lone_Hawk
I think you folks need to go back and read your posts as if you didn't write it, you know, as an outsider. Then consider the message that you put out there.

How would you like it if someone said those things about you when they know absolutely nothing about you as an individual? How would you feel about it?

This thread pretty well sums up what a lot of us have come to think about you folks.

What ever else we might defensively say in response... Isn't what Lone said the truth?

Edited by Ardy (04/23/09 12:47 PM)

#108921 - 04/23/09 01:27 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Ardy]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
 Originally Posted By: Lone_Hawk
This thread pretty well sums up what a lot of us have come to think about you folks.

...and visa, versa. ;\)

#108928 - 04/23/09 02:51 PM Re: Angry Conservatives? [Re: Ardy]
SkyHawk Offline
Admin Emeritus
old hand

In time of victory, why is the left so angry?

Quote:
These should be happy times for liberals and the Democratic party as a whole. They control the White House and both houses of Congress, while opposition Republicans are leaderless and lost. So why do some Democrats, particularly those farther to the left, appear so angry?(snip)

Then there is the question of self-image. Watching Garofalo and Olbermann discuss the tea parties, it was impossible to avoid the sense that they saw themselves as two good people talking about many bad people. "One of the things about narcissism is that it looks like people who are just proud of themselves and smug, but in fact narcissism is a very brittle and unstable state," Anderson told me. "People who are deeply invested in narcissism spend an awful lot of energy trying to maintain the illusion they have of themselves as being powerful and good, and they are exquisitely sensitive to anything that might prick that balloon."

See how easy it is to mock the "other side"?

As one who does not label myself as liberal, conservative, Democrat or Republican, it all sounds smug and empty to me.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2