by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16715 Topics
290930 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
#112304 - 05/22/09 11:22 AM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: issodhos]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
 Originally Posted By: issodhos

You do realize, do you not, NW Ponderer, that "e pluribus unum" simply means "out of many states, one nation" -- and later repositioned to mean "out of many immigrating peoples, a single people?" Why attempt to falsely color it as a call for a sociopolitical collective?

Well, actually, the meaning you attribute to the phrase was a filch of the real original meaning which was to describe a magazine publication that pulled together articles from multiple issues into a single issue; a kind of "Greatest Hits" issue.

Why attempt to falsely color it?

#112310 - 05/22/09 12:20 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Greger,
 Originally Posted By: Greger
Perhaps I oversimplify when I leave out commonwealth and immigrants and all the other semantics that can be tied to the phrase and suggest that "out of many, one" is what e pluribus unum means, simply a synonym for United. The phrase can be used to describe many things but I think it really has only one meaning.
And I like thinking of the United States as cheese - as it requires disparate ingredients, some messy decay to be worthwhile, and becomes more interesting with age.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#112311 - 05/22/09 12:24 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: ]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
 Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
And I like thinking of the United States as cheese

ermmmm.

so many possibilities i cant decide how to respond

#112312 - 05/22/09 12:26 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: ]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?

And I like thinking of the United States as cheese - as it requires disparate ingredients, some messy decay to be worthwhile, and becomes more interesting with age.

Until it becomes covered with mold and is inedible --- as is now the case. ;\)

-

#112313 - 05/22/09 12:34 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: pdx rick]
numan Offline
veteran

Your system has failed time and time again and the only response to its failure is to do the same thing over again.

Originally Posted By: california rick

Isn't that the definition of insanity? To perform the task the same way over and over again and expect different results each time the task is repeated.

Well, isn't that the case with people who over and over expect the Constitution to work and produce a decent society? ;\)

-

#112324 - 05/22/09 01:44 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: numan]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
 Originally Posted By: numan

Until it becomes covered with mold and is inedible --- as is now the case. ;\)

-

I take you've never enjoyed a fine Stilton or Roquefort?

#112328 - 05/22/09 01:53 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: loganrbt]
numan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: loganrbt

I take you've never enjoyed a fine Stilton or Roquefort?

I knew someone was going to try pulling a line like that --- even though the phrase, "covered with mold and is inedible," cuts those cheeses out of the Venn diagram. ;\)

-

#112346 - 05/22/09 03:22 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: ]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

I suppose you haven't spent much time on the Constitution, have you - its structure and purpose? Oh, but discussion of that substantive portion of my earlier post would detract from the distraction of focusing on semantics, wouldn't it?

Well, I must admit that I have not spent much time restructuring, re-purposing, and fancifully re-interpreting it into a moldy piece of cheese that can be shaped into any transient form that is useful at any given moment, NW Ponderer.

"Rights" are merely interests that have gained sufficient importance to be protected by legal strictures - oh, which means protected by the State.

That is, at best, a description of privileges granted (and easily rescinded) by the State to its subjects, NW Ponderer, not Rights. Though, I do see how handy it can be to present Rights as being subject to the arbitrary interpretation of a ruling class, I remain much more comfortable with what I wrote in another thread quite some time back:
Allow me to first repeat, with emphasis added, what I have previously written, which was, “My view is that rights are inalienable and pre-exist the state and also pre-exist any agreement made among men to recognize them.” Please note that I did not write that they pre-existed man. I also wrote that “rights are integral to the human mind” which is to say they are integral to man. They are essential to the completeness of man and reflect the nature of man, not nature in general, not ‘natural’ man, but the nature of man.

Yours,
Issodhos

#112347 - 05/22/09 03:26 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: issodhos]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In other words, rights are "notional."

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#112349 - 05/22/09 03:33 PM Re: Libertarianism Makes You Stupid [Re: ]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

In other words, rights are "notional."

In other words, Rights are "inherent". How's that for a stand-off?:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2