by chunkstyle
05/10/18 03:23 AM
Democratic Purity
by pdx rick
05/09/18 04:42 AM
Playin' Doctor
by pondering_it_all
05/08/18 02:35 AM
What is it with John Kerry Negotiating with the Enemy?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/07/18 09:13 PM
University of Florida Apologizes After Black Graduates Were Manhandled at Commen
by Golem
05/07/18 07:41 PM
Cavuto: Is Trump giving the media very real ammunition?
by pondering_it_all
05/06/18 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16270 Topics
280212 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130879 - 10/31/09 06:37 AM Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING, EVERYBODY!!
RISE AND SHINE!

Muwwwaahhhh.....What shall I cook up today???

IT'S HALLOWEEN!!!

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY...

Grab a slice of warm pumpkin bread and enjoy!

1517 - Martin Luther posted the 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Palace Church. The event marked the start of the Protestant Reformation in Germany.

1864 - Nevada became the 36th state to join the U.S.

1868 - Postmaster General Alexander Williams Randall approved a standard uniform for postal carriers.

1922 - Benito Mussolini became prime minister of Italy.

1926 - Magician Harry Houdini died of gangrene and peritonitis resulting from a ruptured appendix. His appendix had been damaged twelve days earlier when he had been punched in the stomach by a student unexpectedly. During a lecture Houdini had commented on the strength of his stomach muscles and their ability to withstand hard blows.

1941 - Mount Rushmore was declared complete after 14 years of work. At the time the 60-foot busts of U.S. Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln were finished.

1941 - The U.S. Navy destroyer Reuben James was torpedoed by a German submarine near Iceland. The U.S. had not yet entered World War II. More than 100 men were killed.

1952 - The U.S. detonated its first hydrogen bomb.

1954 - The Algerian National Liberation Front (FLN) began a revolt against French rule.

1956 - Rear Admiral G.J. Dufek become the first person to land an airplane at the South Pole. Dufek also became the first person to set foot on the South Pole.

1959 - Lee Harvey Oswald, a former U.S. Marine from Fort Worth, TX, announced that he would never return to the U.S. At the time he was in Moscow, Russia.

1961 - In the Soviet Union, the body of Joseph Stalin was removed from Lenin's Tomb where it was on public display.

1968 - U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson ordered a halt to all U.S. bombing of North Vietnam.

1983 - The U.S. Defense Department acknowledged that during the U.S. led invasion of Grenada, that a U.S. Navy plane had mistakenly bombed a civilian hospital.

1984 - Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated near her residence by two Sikh security guards. Her son, Rajiv, was sworn in as prime minister.

1992 - In Liberia, it was announced that five American nuns had been killed near Monrovia. Rebels loyal to Charles Taylor were blamed for the murders.

1993 - River Phoenix died at the age of 23 after collapsing outside The Viper Room in Hollywood.

1998 - Iraq announced that it was halting all dealings with U.N. arms inspectors. The inspectors were investigating the country's weapons of mass destruction stemming from Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

1999 - EgyptAir Flight 990 crashed off the coast of Nantucket, MA, killing all 217 people aboard.

1999 - Leaders from the Roman Catholic Church and the Lutheran Church signed the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification. The event ended a centuries-old doctrinal dispute over the nature of faith and salvation.

2001 - Microsoft and the U.S. Justice Department reached a tentative agreement to settle the antitrust case againt the software company.

BIRTHDAY NODS OCTOBER 31...

1795 - John Keats (poet: On First Looking into Chapmanís Homer, Endymion: ďA thing of beauty is a joy forever.Ē, On a Grecian Urn, To a Nightingale, On Melancholy, To Autumn; died Feb 23, 1821)
 Quote:
''Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?''
John Keats (1795-1821), British poet. letter, Feb. 14-May 3, 1819, to his brother and sister-in-law, George and Georgiana Keats. Letters of John Keats...

ODE TO AUTUMN

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the mossed cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'erbrimmed their clammy cells.

Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor,
Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind;
Or on a half-reaped furrow sound asleep,
Drowsed with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers;
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep
Steady thy laden head across a brook;
Or by a cider-press, with patient look,
Thou watchest the last oozings, hours by hours.

Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too, -
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the river sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing, and now with treble soft
The redbreast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.

1860 - Juliette Low (youth group founder: Girl Scouts; died Jan 17, 1927)

1931 - Dan (Irvin) Rather Jr. (Emmy Award-winning news correspondent: CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite: The Watergate Affair [1972-73], The Agnew Resignation [10/10/73]; The CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours)

1936 - Michael Landon (Eugene Orowitz) (actor: Bonanza, Samís Son, The Loneliest Runner, I was a Teenage Werewolf, Godís Little Acre; actor, writer, producer, director: Little House on the Prairie, Highway to Heaven; screen play writer, director: Samís Son, Killing Stone; Television Hall of Famer [1996]; died July 1, 1991)

1943 - Brian Piccolo (football: Chicago Bears RB; subject of movie: Brianís Song; died of cancer at age 26 [June 16, 1970])

1944 - Kinky (Richard) Friedman (singer, bandleader: Texas Jewboys: Let Saigons be Bygones, We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to You, They Ainít Making Jews like Jesus Anymore, [censored] from El Paso)

1950 - John (Franklin) Candy (comedian, actor: Second City, The Blues Brothers, Home Alone, JFK, Little Shop of Horrors, National Lampoonís Vacation, 1941, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Spaceballs, Splash, Stripes, Uncle Buck, Whoís Harry Crumb?; Emmy Award-winning writer: SCTV Network: The Energy Ball/Sweeps Week [1982-83]; died Mar 4, 1994)

1955 - Xavier Roberts (toy mogul: created Cabbage Patch Dolls

I'm sorry. I simply could not resist. Please click it. It's too funny. Surely y'all remember Cabbage Patch Dolls. This whole industry took place just up the road from me. Every little girl in the 80s went to the Babyland General Hospital to see her Cabbage Patch Doll born.
It was all a bit sick.
This youtube is a homemade job. It's hilarious.

1963 - Rob Schneider (actor: Saturday Night Live, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, The Beverly Hillbillies, Down Periscope, Men Behaving Badly, The Waterboy, Big Daddy, Muppets From Space)

Fight for Your Right

1966 - Adam Horovitz (musician: guitar; rapper: The Beastie Boys; son of playwright Israel Horowitz)

click for Ice Ice Baby

1967 - Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) (singer: Ice Ice Baby; 1st rap singer to have a #1 song on the Billboard singles chart)

SOME TRICK OR TREAT FUN

A little kinky....beware.

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY, Y'ALL!!!

Now go back and click on the clicks. They are too fun to miss!!!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#130884 - 10/31/09 01:52 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: olyve]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Oh, Miss Olyve - Halloween in Athens. Wave at the Boybutantes for me, and the amazing artist and his lecturing partner, and all the other lovely people you've introduced me to over time.

Heck, wave at the Tree that Owns Itself for me.

Halloween in Athens is kinda like St. Pat's elsewhere.

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#130893 - 10/31/09 03:16 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: Mellowicious]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

#130895 - 10/31/09 03:24 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: pdx rick]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
 Quote:
Songs choons I've selected to get your feet moving while doing your chores today.

WAAAAAAAAA! I can't move my feet!!! You are so INSENSITIVE, rick!

(But I like all your choices) \:\)

#130896 - 10/31/09 03:30 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: EmmaG]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EmmaG
(But I like all your choices) \:\)

Thanks Emma. I used to DJ. ;\)

#130897 - 10/31/09 03:42 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: pdx rick]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Wow, Olyve, what an opener. Rick thanks for the chunes. Will come in handy as we tidy up for the 4-500,000 visitors we expect tonight for the Halloween Carnivale here in WeHo. Beautiful day here, expect 80 degree weather and bright blue skies.

Thought I would give you a taste of my recent cruise. First Hurricane Rick:

then one of the parties:

Enjoy the day and spooky night

#130903 - 10/31/09 04:49 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: olyve]
humphreysmar Offline
old hand

Loc: alabama
 Quote:
1864 - Nevada became the 36th state to join the U.S.

1926 - Magician Harry Houdini died of gangrene and peritonitis resulting from a ruptured appendix. His appendix had been damaged twelve days earlier when he had been punched in the stomach by a student unexpectedly. During a lecture Houdini had commented on the strength of his stomach muscles and their ability to withstand hard blows.

Proving it's all a gamble anyway.

#130906 - 10/31/09 05:13 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: humphreysmar]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
Permit me, Rick, to post one boot scooting song from the Southwest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eYXFCXErQ

Give a man a fish and he will he eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit on his ass all day and drink beer.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#130909 - 10/31/09 06:51 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 2009 [Re: Slipped Mickey]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Slipped Mickey
Permit me, Rick, to post one boot scooting song from the Southwest.

...but of course! \:\) Gotta have some 'boot scotting' represented.

#130920 - 10/31/09 08:41 PM Re: Halloween Round Table For Sat. October 31, 20 [Re: pdx rick]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Hi everyone. It seems like a long time since I've come to this little corner of the world where I feel at home.

Happy Halloween. Olyve, Georgia is doing better since I left the TV screen. Go Dawgs.

Ole Miss didn't get on the bus to Auburn. I hope South Carolina shows up tonight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2