by Scoutgal
Today at 02:08 PM
We erred in publishing cartoon
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:07 PM
16 North Carolina Judges Quit Following State's Legalization of Gay Marriage
by Scoutgal
Today at 12:56 PM
'The View's' Rosie O'Donnell vs. All of Her Co-Hosts Over Bill Cosby Rape Allega
by Golem
Today at 12:52 PM
Obama unveils action on immigration, citing Scripture and precedent
by Scoutgal
Today at 12:52 PM
Welcome to the RoundTable for November 2014
by pdx rick
Today at 12:43 PM
Jurors: 'Riverside Man Should Be Put To Death For Murdering, Torching Ex ...
by NW Ponderer
Today at 10:57 AM
Genetic Testing
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:14 AM
Legalizing Marijuana
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Anaheim's new ARTIC: icon or eyesore?
by Golem
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
On patriotism...
by Ken Condon
Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Income inequality and taxes
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 12:23 PM
Gunz, agin
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 11:51 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14464 Topics
248682 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#131752 - 11/07/09 08:31 PM white stuff on cooked salmon
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
We eat salmon about twice a week.
Can any of you experts (and non experts) out there tell me how to cook it so that that white stuff (assume fat) doesn't gel like egg whites in little mounds all over it?
ewwww....
I love salmon but I'm having trouble getting past that. I scrap it off but I have that visual in my head while I'm eating it.
Plus it scraps off the sauce I put on it.

I use frozen salmon. I like to skin it before I eat it.
The process goes like this.
I get it out. About 10 minutes later Mr O skins it. It is just starting to thaw.
I marinade it in lemon juice, sliced garlic and chinese chili sauce (from a bottle) in the refrigerator.
It is usually completely thawed out by the time I actually cook it.
I cook it about 20 minutes in a hot oven....400 or so.

How can I keep the white stuff from happening?

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#131760 - 11/07/09 10:02 PM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: olyve]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Umm... I google "salmon white goo" and got this:

"That's the serum albumen, part of the the blood, that's still present in the flesh of a critter after it's cleaned. It will set up and congeal just like the albumen in egg whites."

Apparently there's more of it the fresher the fish. Also, apparently edible and harmless.

Nasty-sounding (and looking,) though, innit?

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#131761 - 11/07/09 10:07 PM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: olyve]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
I dont cook fish, cant stand the stff but youre not the only person to have this difficulty

apparently is blood proteins and not fat. I dont think its anyhting to do with your cooking process either.

try cooking it for slightly less time, barely done, i saw that suggested as a remedy. it said if the gunk is coming out the fish is overdone.

#131777 - 11/08/09 12:49 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: Schlack]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
If it's just the looks of the stuff that bothers you, brush the fish with Lawry's Teriyaki with pineapple juice. Or Braggs Liquid aminos, or black soy sauce or any number of things that will hide, break up or remove the white stuff.

#131781 - 11/08/09 01:37 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: olyve]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
when I cook salmon, I grill it. Agree that the "white stuff" sets up if I leave it on too long, but when it does, I just flip it over one more time, let it grill a minute or two longer, and it cooks away off. Or drips off. Not sure which.

#131782 - 11/08/09 01:40 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
 Originally Posted By: Greger
If it's just the looks of the stuff that bothers you, brush the fish with Lawry's Teriyaki with pineapple juice. Or Braggs Liquid aminos, or black soy sauce or any number of things that will hide, break up or remove the white stuff.

Pineapple juice if fresh will coagulate the albumen protein due to the enzymes in the pineapple and make it look like cottage cheese because the enzymes are acidic. Acid does that to proteins. Canned pineapple juices has had it's enzymes denatured by the heating processes of canning and those enzymes are no longer effective in destroying proteins. (This is why canned pineapple is suggested in Jell-O recipes and not fresh pineapple ;\) )

When I work at the Salmon Shack and a customer has me take the skin off, I never see the slimy stuff - "if" the fish is fresh.

In my seven years experience at the Salmon Shack, when fish is slimy - it's 'cuz it's old.

Fish only has a five day shelf life once processed, if processed by a producer such as a "fish farm", those fish go thru a "pre-wash" which includes anti-bacterialcides and the shelf life is extended by up three days at the most.

#131802 - 11/08/09 09:51 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Pineapple juice if fresh will coagulate the albumen protein due to the enzymes in the pineapple

P'raps I shoulda been more clear, Lawry's Teriaki with Pineapple Juice is a bottled marinade. It's very thick and dark brown.
Black Soy Sauce is a sweet, very thick, soy sauce product available at oriental markets. I was sugesting that if one of these products was lightly brushed onto the salmon during the cooking process it might disguise the white stuff.

I marinate my Salmon in 1/2 cup Lawrys 1/2 cup regular soy sauce with a tablespoon or more each of minced garlic and minced fresh ginger.
Then smoke it over alder wood and serve it garnished with fresh dill. It takes about 45 minutes to cook a whole fillet on the grill. There is no white stuff on my salmon so I suspect the brown stuff hides it. (Thanks to Chunkstyle for this recipe if he's lurking)

#131803 - 11/08/09 09:59 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: Greger]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
I don't buy fresh fish anymore because you never know until you get it home whether it's really fresh or not. Publix has varieties of frozen fish fillets and I haven't gotten a bad one yet. I like the grouper and dolphin as well as the salmon. I marinate in olive oil, lemon juice and dill and then bake or broil. Serve it with a yogurt-dill sauce (or substitute sour cream).

#131806 - 11/08/09 10:08 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: EmmaG]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
Thanks y'all.
I'm trying to take all this in. I appreciate the input.

I don't buy "fresh" anymore either, Emma for the same reason. I buy the frozen wild caught from areas I approve of.

Salmon is the only fish I have this problem with.
I don't grill it because it's such a quick cooking fish and it's just the two of us.

For some reason even after reading the responses I still think there is something I'm doing wrong.
Sorry. The thought of just disguising it is ....well.
When I order salmon at a restaurant this isn't an issue.

I wonder if the bottled lemon juice is the culprit.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#131808 - 11/08/09 10:11 AM Re: white stuff on cooked salmon [Re: olyve]
Allen Owen Offline
stranger

Dolphin? WTF? Is that some kind of roundabout South Park reference?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2