277446 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#134112 - 12/04/09 03:26 AM Prolong Afghan war threat to our national security
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
OK, I voted for Kucinch in the last election to become President of the United States. He's the only guy who made sense to me, AND has a track record of making sense. He continues to make sense.

Here Rep. Kucinich responds to President Obama's announcement of an escalation of the war in Iraq:

Quote:
America is in the fight of its life and that fight is not in Afghanistan -- it's here. We are deeply in debt. Our GDP is down. Our manufacturing is down. Our savings are down. The value of the dollar is down. Our trade deficit is up. Business failures are up. Bankruptcies are up.

Quote:
The war is a threat to our national security. We’ll spend over $100 billion next year to bomb a nation of poor people while we reenergize the Taliban, destabilize Pakistan, deplete our army and put more of our soldiers’ lives on the line. Meanwhile, back here in the USA, 15 million people are out of work. People are losing their jobs, their health care, their savings, their investments, and their retirement security. $13 trillion in bailouts for Wall Street, trillions for war; when are we going to start taking care of things here at home?

Quote:
The people of Afghanistan don't want to be saved by us, they want to be saved from us.

Kucinich still makes sense to me. Obama is making less sense.

Source

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#134118 - 12/04/09 08:16 AM Re: Prolong Afghan war threat to our national security [Re: Slipped Mickey]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Looking at the last depression we faced, Kucinich should read a little history instead of simply trying to make it in his own image. The private sector is NOT going to invest in this country. While there are exceptions, "They" have made that absolutely clear over the past several decades as they have moved wave after wave of production to markets with lower labor costs. Last time I checked, a full size Ford/Mercury was more likely to have been built outside the U.S. than a Toyota.

Massive government investment has been the way out of most serious financial troughs: WWII, the space race, defense buildup, etc. Look at the cycles. Roosevelt's prosperity came from defense production. Eisenhower's came from highway construction and similar public works that he pushed as part of an autobahn-inspired view of national defense; Kennedy's and to the extent that Johnson had one, from the space race; Nixon through Carter all went the wrong way and none of them had a major public investment program; Reagan had the Berlin-wall-felling defense build up (SDI! yeah!).

By that logic, Kucinch should be pushing Obama to expand the war! That he isn't, and also isn't proposing alternative massive public investment, tells me he just doens't understand our economic engine and the extent to which business build's its economic engine overseas, not here.

#134155 - 12/04/09 08:24 PM Re: Prolong Afghan war threat to our national security [Re: loganrbt]
RichardKanePA Offline
stranger

Loc: Philadelphia
Bin Laden and al Qaeda has made it clear that they expect to bankrupt the US like they believe they did the Soviet Union. Money spent on high tech jobs have far less stimulating effect then low tech high employment construction or weatherproofing.

The British Empire could have fell right after the American Revolution but it backed down into a happy retirement.

The US had to join World War II, or [a little secret], the Meth driven Nazi Germany would have gotten ever more vicious.

We deluded ourselves into thinking we had to stop Saddam or else he'd take over the middle east if not the world.

Al Qaeda is small potatoes and has a big world to fight with before they would ever get in charge. Great tension with China, and Iran and even Hamas. The following links show an amazing amount of countries al Qaeda got mad at them and it doesn't even include Spain with the backpack bombing and Saudi Arabia. The US taking charge has allowed them to lay back,
http://www.smh.com.au/world/alqaeda-threatens-revenge-on-china-20090715-dlkp.html
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=75663§ionid=351020101
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/50581,news...hanistan-israel
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/08/hamas_and_al_qaeda_l.php
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-bin-Laden.html

We got ourselves boxed into fighting the Taliban which has little to do with al Qaeda. Let the rest of the world step up to the plate.

PS I think Obama is trying to do right and is an alert man. I like Alan Specter's criticism of the war better than Kucinich's.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2