by pondering_it_all
04/19/19 01:06 AM
The debate over what Julian Assange’s arrest means for freedom of the press
by Greger
04/18/19 04:29 PM
Justice is coming
by Greger
04/17/19 11:51 PM
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie the
by pondering_it_all
04/17/19 03:04 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by pondering_it_all
04/16/19 04:57 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by Golem
04/15/19 05:12 PM
What is Neoliberalism?
by chunkstyle
04/15/19 02:40 PM
freshman facts
by jgw
04/14/19 07:45 PM
You can help name the largest unnamed world in the solar system
by Greger
04/09/19 08:17 PM
Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award
by Golem
04/07/19 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16540 Topics
285407 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#134466 - 12/08/09 07:35 AM Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
John Lennon was shot and killed on this day in 1980 as he stood outside of his New York City apartment house, the Dakota. The deranged, obsessed ‘fan’ was quickly apprehended by others gathered at the scene. A several-days vigil by hundreds of mourning fans is remembered as candles flickered and the song Give Peace a Chance was heard -- a continuing tribute to the musician and songwriter of a generation.

John Lennon’s wife, Yoko Ono, together with New York’s officials, set up a permanent memorial to her husband: a section of Central Park, opposite The Dakota, named Strawberry Fields.

Today In History~

December 8
1940 - The Chicago Bears shut out the Washington Redskins b-i-g t-i-m-e. The final score: Chicago 73, Washington 0.

1941 - Ray Eberle and The Modernaires teamed with the Glenn Miller Orchestra to record Moonlight Cocktail on Bluebird Records. By April 1942, the song was a solid hit.

1949 - One of America’s classic Broadway plays, and later, a major motion picture, debuted. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes began its long run at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. Carol Channing starred in the musical and charmed audiences with the show’s songs such as her trademark signature, Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend.

1956 - The Olympic games, which had opened Nov 22, closed this day at Melbourne, Australia. ‘The Friendly Games’, as this Olympiics came to be known, was Australia’s first attempt at hosting the Olympics and left “an enduring legacy not only for Melbourne and Australia but for the Olympic movement itself.”

1961 - Surfin’, The Beach Boys first record, was released on Candix Records. It became a local hit in Los Angeles but only made it to #75 nationally. The surfin’ music craze didn’t take hold across America for another year. By the time Surfin’ Safari entered the Top 40 (September 1962), though, The Beach Boys were ridin’ a wave of popularity that continues today even though The Beach Boys have become The Beach Men.

1962 - Striking workers of the International Typographical Union closed nine New York City newspapers. The strike lasted 114 days, ending on April 1, 1963. A total of 5,700,000 readers were affected by the shutdown. It made people turn on radio and TV, of course.

1963 - Florence Henderson and Jose Ferrer co-starred in The Girl Who Came to Supper on Broadway. The production, however, only lasted for 112 shows.

1963 - Frank Sinatra Jr. was kidnapped in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. He was set free three days later after his father paid a $240,000 ransom with no questions asked. Three men were eventually caught, convicted and imprisoned for the crime.

1965 - Humphrey Bogart’s wife, Lauren Bacall, opened in Cactus Flower on Broadway. The show also starred Barry Nelson. The production was awarded Best Play honors and ran for 1,234 performances.

1979 - Styx Babe hit #1 in the U.S. It stayed there for two weeks, before being knocked out of the coveted spot by Rupert Holmes’ Escape (The Pina Colada Song).

1982 - The Federal Communications Commission approved the move of WOR-TV, Channel 9 in New York City to lovely Secaucus, New Jersey. The move, complete with new call letters WWOR, gave the Garden State its first VHF television station ... and a superstation at that!

1984 - Indiana Hoosier’s basketball coach, Bobby Knight, got career win #400 as Indiana beat Kentucky’s Wildcats, 81-68.

1986 - Santa Claus was really TV’s Ed McMahon (at least at the White House). Johnny Carson’s straight man arrived in D.C. for a Christmas bash. He and First Lady Nancy Reagan exchanged kisses and, according to Ed, “She gave me a kiss, and I gave her a Hershey.” Always the pitchman, that McMahon guy was. At least it wasn’t Alpo ... or Budweiser.

1995 - Father of the Bride - Part II opened in the U.S. The sequel to Father of the Bride stars Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, Martin Short, George Newbern and Kieran Culkin. And, as one moviegoer put it, “This film is proof that sequels should never be made to comedies.”

1997 - A $25 billion deal: Swiss Bank and Union Bank of Switzerland announced a plan to form a single bank with assets of well over half a trillion dollars. The combined group would be called the United Bank of Switzerland and would become the world’s biggest money manager.

2000 - Movies debuting in the U.S.: Dungeons and Dragons (“This is no game.”), starring Justin Whalin, Zoe Mclellan and Jeremy Irons; Proof of Life: “Suspense, suspense. Russell Crowe excellent and mesmerizing, Meg (Ryan) grew for this one ... big time, epic adventure.”; and Vertical Limit (“The Mountain Will Decide.”), starring Chris O’Donnell, Bill Paxton and Robin Tunney.

Music For The Day~

Quote For The Day~
 Quote:
Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

Floyd Dell

Chuckle For The Day~

Pictures For The Day~

Ravana Ela Falls, Sri Lanka

Have a great day, Ranters!

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#134469 - 12/08/09 11:27 AM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: Scoutgal]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
RIP John Lennon

EmmaG

#134472 - 12/08/09 12:24 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: EmmaG]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

Imagine
Indeed RIP John

Thank you, Scout.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#134477 - 12/08/09 01:23 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: olyve]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Morning, all.

We had a lovely cool summer here in the Midwest, which made the chronic worriers among us wonder what winter would bring. Well, it's bringing a massive blizzard and serious cold - tomorrow's high will be 7, with blowing snow and a windchill of -20. And winter doesn't start for another couple of weeks...

On the other hand, this is the day traditionally celebrated as the day of Buddha's enlightenment...so I will wish all of us a day - many days - of clarity, of attention, of living our present instead of our past and future.

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#134481 - 12/08/09 02:03 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: Mellowicious]
Almost Naomi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Wonderful stuff, everyone!

Excellent opener, Scout, fantastic photos and fun stuff...Thanks!

Love the Lennon link, Emma...Olyve, the words from Imagine are some of the best written (IMO). Sometimes I wonder if the Universe sets it up for people like Jesus, Ghandi and Lennon to die violent deaths to emphasize their messages of peace.

(Or maybe I just haven't had enough caffeine yet today to place me firmly in the real world. ;\) )

Mellow, the Buddha reference is appreciated. Whenever I live in the present, I relax way down inside. Problem is, I rarely do. Thanks for the reminder!

Ya know...I'm just thinking...maybe the five of us should run the world....

#134483 - 12/08/09 02:19 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: Mellowicious]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
 Originally Posted By: Mellowicious
...We had a lovely cool summer here in the Midwest, which made the chronic worriers among us wonder what winter would bring. Well, it's bringing a massive blizzard and serious cold - tomorrow's high will be 7, with blowing snow and a windchill of -20. And winter doesn't start for another couple of weeks...

So that you don't experience this cold weather alone, I'll join you - but in Denver.

The current temperature is 8 degrees and "feels like -4" according to Weather Channel.com

Two weeks ago when a co-worker offered the "opportunity" for me to travel I jumped at it. I need to realize her "gifts" are Trojan Horses. I always fall her tricks: Texas in July, Denver in December. D'oah! \:o

It's ok, I've always wanted to be in snow at Christmas time. \:\)

Yesterday's snow here in the Bay Area was a pre-cursor to what I'll fly into later today. \:D

#134484 - 12/08/09 02:29 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have more pictures from yesterday's Bay Area snow:

(All pictures are within 15 miles of my house)

#134485 - 12/08/09 02:32 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: Almost Naomi]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Almost Naomi
Ya know...I'm just thinking...maybe the five of us should run the world....

Oh dear God!

#134487 - 12/08/09 02:37 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: Scoutgal]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal

Chuckle For The Day~

#134488 - 12/08/09 02:41 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 [Re: EmmaG]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EmmaG

I remember exactly where I was when John Lennon's shooting was announced. I was at LAX waiting for a relative to fly in. It was weeknight as I recall and I was in the 8th grade.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2