by jgw
10/09/18 09:26 PM
Trump’s ‘New’ Can-Mex Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama
by jgw
10/09/18 05:35 PM
The End of the Independent Judiciary
by pdx rick
10/07/18 02:55 PM
Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls 'a Bazillion' People from Hospital Phone,
by Greger
10/07/18 01:09 AM
That Bombshell Report on Trump's Taxes May Spark an Investigation by New York
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/05/18 05:03 AM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
10/04/18 07:28 PM
George Will: Abolish the death penalty
by Greger
10/03/18 12:28 AM
if the Dems take over
by Greger
10/01/18 09:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/30/18 08:15 PM
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by jgw
09/28/18 06:24 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by NW Ponderer
09/28/18 11:24 AM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
09/26/18 05:11 PM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/18 07:10 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16398 Topics
282309 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#136566 - 12/28/09 06:48 PM Is Walmart the Answer?
Harvey3 Offline
journeyman

Loc: Texas Hill Country
IMW, but this has probably been around the internet forever:
WAL-MART

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket Chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that.....

MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy because the idiots in Washington sure can't do it!

#136569 - 12/28/09 07:09 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Harvey3]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Well, gee, if your only interest in fixing the economy is maximizing the profits of one company while watching many other small businesses in those communities driven out of business and their employees sent to the unemployment office, then yes.

I don't share that objective.

#136570 - 12/28/09 07:25 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Harvey3]
Almost Naomi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
There's an interesting thought, Harvey3... And I suppose it wouldn't be such a bad idea for a government to give the majority of its people what they want. Which, it seems, is what Wal-Mart does. They offer pretty much everything a family might need...including haircuts, eye exams and prescriptions filled. That works for a lot of people.

Their commercials focus on exactly that...in a low-key way. You can buy XYZ somewhere else for this much money...or you can buy XYZ at Wal-Mart for this much less.

But I'm kind of confused as how a government can use that same approach. Except, as stated very broadly above, to give the majority of people what they want. How to actually do that on a national scale is, I think, a whole 'nother - and very complicated - matter. ;\)

#136578 - 12/28/09 08:45 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Almost Naomi]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Walmart probably IS the answer.

I'd merge the management team with that of Google, pay them whatever they want and let them have at it. I might even add in the team from Aldi's, 'cuz they're sharp too.

Back in 1981, I was on a "spy" assignment for my company to detail how and why Walmart was so good. A wonderful experience and a chance to see what thinking outside the box really means.

So few mistakes. Such great planning. So very, very smart. Two years ahead of everyone else, and manage to stay out of trouble.

It's management by objective in the finest sense of the term.

I could handle a dictatorship with the Walmart Team at the head. We'd lose about 80% of Congress in the first month, and we'd save enough in not having to buy oversize chairs for big butts, to pay for medicare.

Walmart is smart. I like Smart.

Oh... BTW... I understand that Mrs. Jones' dress shop will probably go out of business. The alternative is for the city council to ban all competition. It's that kind of thinking that has put the US in the position it's in today, and the way GM and the automotive industry faded.

Equate "unfair", with not as smart.

Though I hate it, it's the reason the banks own us today. They're smart.

#136579 - 12/28/09 08:54 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Almost Naomi]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
WAL-MART

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

All of it is made in China and most of it is crap consumers don't need. The assumption here is big = good.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

Why do I care? More = good.

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

No revelation there. I'm not sure why that's good. In fact if Wal-Mart didn't have the big box stores blighting the landscape small local stores would fill in the gaps as they once did. More = good.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

Bigger = good, yadda yadda

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.

Big/more = good, yadda yadda. Most of the people who work for Wal-Mart are unpaid and don't have good benefits. Wal-Mart has been sued successfully more than once for discrimination.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

Big = good, yadda, yadda.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

The assumption is that big equals good.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket Chains sought bankruptcy.

And?

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

Big = good, yadda yadda.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.

Big = good, yadda yadda

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

More = good, yadda yadda.

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

More = good, yadda yadda.

The list of 12 reasons why Wal-Mart is next to God is based on the assumption that big and more are good. If they do it more or bigger they must be better and are then preferred. It also assumes that as an American you share that assumption. It assumes that most Americans are not discerning people, but rather uber-consumsers who want quantity over quality and love nothing more than waddling their fat arses up and down isles of pretty boxes of junk they've been enticed to crave in the commercials between live "wrasslin'" and the reality TV they watch to avoid life. I'd say they are correct.

The list above is based on the "world consumer" model - which is dying rapidly. Americans perhaps remain the world consumer economy, but that boat is fixing to leave for China. It isn't going to be like it used to be in America, for a very long time. Certainly not in our lifetimes.

Wal-Mart caught the wave of wild and excessive consumer spending. The money is gone and the dollar is devalued and dropping. But there is little doubt in my mind that Wal-Mart advocates and loyal Wal-Mart shoppers understand or are even aware of any of the above.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#136582 - 12/28/09 09:43 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Why is big WalMart good but big government bad? And yet you want Walmart to run government? Does not compute.

Also, Walmart workers get the worst benefits of all the big box stores, so is that your prescription for America's workers, Harvey3?

BTW, having a corporation run a country is called fascism.

#136586 - 12/28/09 10:09 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Harvey3]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that.....

MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy because the idiots in Washington sure can't do it!

MAYBE we have already hired the guys who run Walmart run the US Government and MAYBE they are responsible for the mess the economy is in...? More and bigger have been established to be good things, more and bigger government then must be a better thing? In a nutshell the above says we should let the corporations decide what is best for us, let the corporations call the shots on economic reform, let big business write the laws.
Harv, buddy, we are already there.

The Walmart heirs are some of the wealthiest people in the world, worth something in the neighborhood of $100 Billion. These are the folks our government caters to, in the words of George Bush, "The haves and the have mores". These are the folks who have continued to make a profit and in fact increased their profits by milking the current economic mess. These are the folks who have no interest in fixing the economy, these are the folks you think could fix it?

#136591 - 12/28/09 10:35 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Wal*Mart will never be the answer/solution to anything. ;\)

#136595 - 12/28/09 11:20 PM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: pdx rick]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
I shop at Walmart perhaps once a year, when I absolutely have to. And every time I do, I walk out of there saying "I will never come back to Walmart ever." The service sucks. The quality of products suck. They have destroyed small businesses, small towns and landscapes across the country -- I believe they are about to build one next to the Gettysburg Battlefield. They cheat their employees. They cheat their customers.

No, I do not believe Walmart is the answer to anything.

#136597 - 12/29/09 12:41 AM Re: Is Walmart the Answer? [Re: Harvey3]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
 Originally Posted By: Harvey3

There are a few down sides to the story. If walmart had it's preference.... they would not provide any employer based health insurance to a large portion of these employees. And most of those employees would not be able to separately pay for health insurance. And so the "walmart World" would have quite a few people who would would be working but would not have or be able to afford health insurance. To the extent these people did have health insurance, it was frequently through government expenditures on Medicaid or similar "welfare" programs.

Of course, if Walmart were running the government, those welfare programs would likely not exist. I sort of imagine a Auschwitz sort of society where people are worked to death without medical care and then are discarded after they collapse.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2