Current Topics
It's no longer safe to recline your airplane seat
by Scoutgal
42 minutes 27 seconds ago
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by Scoutgal
44 minutes 55 seconds ago
New York driver chains neck to pole, hits gas pedal, gets decapitated
by logtroll
Today at 03:09 PM
Round Table For Week Of August 31st-September 6th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:54 PM
Cop cam: Ferguson police to wear body cameras
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:11 PM
Israel appropriates massive tract of West Bank land
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:06 PM
Inside Job
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:03 PM
NFL Player Got Tattoo On His Face To Keep Himself From Ever Getting A Normal Job
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:01 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Today at 01:26 PM
My Muslim religion has problems that need fixing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:15 AM
History's 'Houdini': What the Critics Are Saying
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:55 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:31 PM
5 current Ferguson officers apart from Brown shooter figure in lawsuits
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:25 AM
National Israeli fire on Gaza town raises war crimes claim
by Ardy
08/31/14 06:52 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
08/31/14 08:55 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14305 Topics
247190 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#141887 - 02/24/10 08:03 AM Take me back to the Sixties
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Take me back to the Sixties

"The last Innocent Generation"

#141888 - 02/24/10 08:46 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Almost Naomi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Thanks, It. I enjoyed that! grin

I don't know about the 60's being the last innocent generation as opposed to the the 50's being the last naive generation.

#141892 - 02/24/10 10:08 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Almost Naomi]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
It's the last generation where people had any reasonable expectation that the government and big business wasn't declaring open warfare on them.

---Benjamin Bratton

#141894 - 02/24/10 10:15 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Almost Naomi]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
Just as I've always said, 1967 was a pivotal year in the U.S., and I wasn't here.

I am beginning to see hope in kids in their early 20s. They don't want what Boomers screwed up and allowed to happen. Some kids are discovering that greed and hatred are not enjoyable. Hope spring eternal.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#141896 - 02/24/10 10:20 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: Checkerboard Strangler
It's the last generation where people had any reasonable expectation that the government and big business wasn't declaring open warfare on them.

Acually, I think many kids of that generation were of the opinion that exactly that was happening... but they also thought they could do somethng about it.

Today, I would say that most kids are unaware of this dynamic, and are mostly looking to take care of their own individual lives within the context of the existing economic/power structure

Edited by Ardy (02/24/10 10:21 AM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#141897 - 02/24/10 10:27 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
Quote:

Hmmm.... Kent State?

#141910 - 02/24/10 12:12 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: EmmaG]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Definitely were two decades of the 1960's: 1960-65 and 1966-1969. This covers the first part, the second was much different.

Mick, your 1967 was my 1965.

#141918 - 02/24/10 02:13 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ardy]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Ardy

Acually, I think many kids of that generation were of the opinion that exactly that was happening... but they also thought they could do somethng about it.

Today, I would say that most kids are unaware of this dynamic, and are mostly looking to take care of their own individual lives within the context of the existing economic/power structure

Ardy... I really hope you are right... You can't know how much I hope that the young are really facing the future, without the idea that education and prosperity is a "right". The recent loss on the 401K'S has got to be a downer for those who believed that they could achieve security with reasonably safe investments.

I am not in direct touch with that many people who are in the 18 to 40 year bracket, but I wonder if they have the sense that government is working in their interests, or if they have a good understanding of how government works in the new millenium.

Do you, or does anyone here, have a feel for the general level of sophistication of young people about money and politics?

#141919 - 02/24/10 02:27 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Ah yes, the 60's.
Fredom Riders
Murders of Medgar Evers, JFK, Chaney, Goodman, Schwerner, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy
Kent State and Jackson State
Chicago Police enforcing the Constitution by bashing heads of free speakers
Judge Julius Hoffman
Selma
And on and on and on
What a marvelous decade it was.
NOT!

And not seeing what made it so good up to 1965, either.

In fact, given a choice between staying in the era we're in and going back to relive the 60's, I'll take the current era.

#141921 - 02/24/10 02:37 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: itstarted

Yes, the autumn leaves are falling.

#141927 - 02/24/10 04:03 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'

Yes, innocence and naïveté. Also, ernestness and commitment and desire for improvement.

It is true that people were more adventurous than before or after, and this had many consequences, good and bad, both personally and socially. But there were many earnest people with very practical plans for improving society. They were crushed, of course.

After the Second World War, there were segments of the ruling classes which desired a more educated and cultured populace. The 60's taught them not to make that mistake again.

The caricature of the 60's which I cannot avoid seeing in the mass media is unrecognizable to me.

The music to which I was listening was Vivaldi, Bach, Gesualdo, Ravi Shankar and Balinese gamelan. The first popular music which I thought was interesting was the Beatles' Norwegian Wood. When I first heard it in '64 or '65, my immediate reaction was, "Hmm, something new and worthwhile is happening."

In movies, I was much impressed by the 1960 film, Last Year at Marienbad and, of course, the wonderful films of the Canadian National Film Board. Otherwise, I don't remember any movies until Kubrick's 2001.

In the plastic arts, I was studying Optical Art and the researches into color theory by Josef Albers. I remember going to exhibitions of original works by René Magritte, Escher and Remedios Varo.

Of course, in the mid-sixties I was studying at UC Berkeley, so my experience may have been a little different from that of most other Americans.

Edited by numan (02/24/10 04:08 PM)

#141928 - 02/24/10 04:15 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Hey, that's me innocence and naïveté.

#141934 - 02/24/10 05:52 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Joe Keegan

Yes, the autumn leaves are falling.

Thanks... nice... one that I had almost forgotten. My halcyon days were a little earlier... off to college in 1953... Know those years couldn't have been as great as they seem now... but, they were!

Numan... '56 was my liberal arts year for classical music... I can remember long hours in music "lab"... with headphones... and parsing Vivaldi and Bach... thetic 1 and anacrusic two... and I thought it would be a "gut" course. And hitch-hiking 150 miles each way from Maine on Saturday and Sunday to visit future bride at Boston College... Imagine... hitch hiking...

My movie was "Room at the Top", and falling in love with Simone Signoret.

So, in my case, I s'pose it would be "take me back to the '50's. LOL

#141941 - 02/24/10 07:55 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: Itstarted
Thanks... nice... one that I had almost forgotten. My halcyon days were a little earlier... off to college in 1953... Know those years couldn't have been as great as they seem now... but, they were!

Numan... '56 was my liberal arts year for classical music... I can remember long hours in music "lab"... with headphones... and parsing Vivaldi and Bach... thetic 1 and anacrusic two... and I thought it would be a "gut" course. And hitch-hiking 150 miles each way from Maine on Saturday and Sunday to visit future bride at Boston College... Imagine... hitch hiking...

My-O-My, Bob,

I'm afraid that I was way more interested in latter songs of the Inkspots and like groups that had moved out of the 40's genre to R&B and RnR. Then how could anybody resist greats like Bill Haley and His Comets, Chuck Berry, Big Joe Turner, Carl Perkins, Hank Williams, and of course the emerging Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, and up to Buddy Holly?

Vivaldi and Bach and those cats just weren't cool, daddio... cool

I was slobbering over Grace Kelly, Natalie Wood, Sandra Dee, and Tuesday Weld (just to name a few).

Yours Truly - Gregg

#141946 - 02/24/10 08:46 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: AustinRanter]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: AustinRanter
Originally Posted By: Itstarted

My-O-My, Bob,

I'm afraid that I was way more interested in latter songs of the Inkspots and like groups that had moved out of the 40's genre to R&B and RnR. Then how could anybody resist greats like Bill Haley and His Comets, Chuck Berry, Big Joe Turner, Carl Perkins, Hank Williams, and of course the emerging Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, and up to Buddy Holly?

Vivaldi and Bach and those cats just weren't cool, daddio... cool

I was slobbering over Grace Kelly, Natalie Wood, Sandra Dee, and Tuesday Weld (just to name a few).

Young upstart LOL ! rolleyes

#141948 - 02/24/10 09:04 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
I was a toddler at the start of the 60's, and a pre-teen at the end of that decade. The only part I miss about the 60's are the Helms Bakery Man, Get Smart and the cars like the Mustang, the Firebird and the Camaro of that decade.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#141949 - 02/24/10 09:18 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ardy]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Ardy

But even as I fully acknowledge the absolute fact that government indeed HAD declared war on CERTAIN SEGMENTS of the American people, most others still had the REASONABLE expectation they had not.
Note that I am emphasizing "reasonable expectation".

Joe Homeowner, for example, did not feel as if Big Business and gumbmit was out to get him.

As of this writing I feel it's safe to say a majority of Americans feel like Uncle Sam and Big Business ARE out to get ALL of them, until all that's left are obedient serfs who do what they're told, and the ultra rich, who come up with the marching orders.

As of this writing, the average "Joe Homeowner" does NOT see Big Business and Uncle Sam as friends, or even assets that make America great.

---Benjamin Bratton

#141950 - 02/24/10 09:20 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Scoutgal]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
I was a toddler at the start of the 60's, and a pre-teen at the end of that decade. The only part I miss about the 60's are the Helms Bakery Man, Get Smart and the cars like the Mustang, the Firebird and the Camaro of that decade.

Can't help you with the first two, but today's Mustangs and Camaros outperform their stock classic ancestors on every level.

They even get better gas mileage WHILE they outperform them!

---Benjamin Bratton

#141951 - 02/24/10 09:22 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: AustinRanter]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

OMG Natalie Wood...she gave me...well...never mind LOL

---Benjamin Bratton

#141954 - 02/24/10 10:10 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
In 1963, I was ten, Dylan released "Blowin' in the Wind" and "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" and became my favorite artist
1965. I was all of twelve, Barry McGuire sang "Eve of Destruction" I believed him then and little has changed. Dylan played with an electric blues band that year at Newport.
In '66 I smoked my first joint and listened to Donovan's "Young Girl Blues" and "Writer in the Sun"
Innocence and naivete but mixed with foreboding. I turned to art and drugs and music.
I was 15 in 1968, the so called summer of love. I was still a virgin and knew nothing of love but I knew a lot about acid.
We tripped and surfed and talked about girls and then we tripped some more.
It was as good a time as any to grow up, I guess, but I don't think I want to go back.

#141959 - 02/24/10 10:17 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Can't help you with the first two, but today's Mustangs and Camaros outperform their stock classic ancestors on every level.

They even get better gas mileage WHILE they outperform them!

But they don't look as cool-except for maybe the new Shelby-style Mustang!

#141960 - 02/24/10 10:20 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

The only drug I had access to was St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin(orange flavored). But I really loved the psychedelic art.

#141965 - 02/24/10 11:03 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Scoutgal]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Everything happened for me all at once in 68: Graduated from high school (at 16), got a car, got a good job that would last another 11 years in one form or another, left home and hooked up with the girl who would eventually become wife #1, got laid (lots), got high (really, really high!).

#141976 - 02/25/10 04:01 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#141981 - 02/25/10 09:01 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Almost Naomi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Great one, Joe!

Phil's right. The decade was split down the middle. In the first half I had a hard-ass beehive hair-do. Got to college in '65 and it became long, straight, free & liberating. (I'd say my hair pretty much sums up the difference. LOL)

I think, though, we tend to see that decade in a retrospect of our own personal experiences...especially for those of us who were in the late teen/young adult years.

For me, it was phenomenal. Even the bad stuff - the war, the assassinations. It was high drama that woke the world up. Young people found a voice, a strong one. Women, too. We didn't even have to wear bras anymore. How liberating is that?

You could have sex, drink and smoke pot and it was OKAY! You could be a fan of peace and love rather than war; you could tell law enforcement and politicians that they didn't rule the world.

But that was only my take; the situation I was in produced that perspective. For someone fighting in Viet Nam, for someone in law enforcement, for those whose personality and focus are different, the decade takes on a whole 'nother feel. It was my first time away from home in a party environment; an egocentric environment that was all about us. I spent a semester abroad in Denmark during that time, too. It's not that I didn't take in the dark side of those years...but I had a hell of a lot of fun, too.

The second half of the '60's was super-charged, there's no denying that. But it was like one of those paintings where the subject's eyes follow you and no one else. The way you see it hinges on where - and who -you were.

#141994 - 02/25/10 02:20 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Everything happened for me all at once in 68: Graduated from high school (at 16), got a car, got a good job that would last another 11 years in one form or another, left home and hooked up with the girl who would eventually become wife #1, got laid (lots), got high (really, really high!).

PIA...

An innate genetic trait in my family of past and present generations is that all children nascent from the womb with a Bud in one hand and a joint in the other. That makes life a bit more interesting from the get-go.

For most of the family, having a Bud and Joint in hand usually continues until one flies out of the cuckoo's nest or "until death do us part" - whichever comes first.

I was luckier than most in my family...the nest was low to the ground when I flew out about 25 years ago - and I'm still alive. Unfortunately, I can't remember the getting laid part. Partaking in too much Bud-wiser and lush, exotic little buds can do that to ya.

Yours Truly - Gregg

#141996 - 02/25/10 02:58 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: AustinRanter]
humphreysmar Offline
old hand

Loc: alabama

Slobbering over Sandra Dee and Tuesday Weld was not allowed. You had to make a choice. Cute blond who was good; cute blond who wasn't.

#142002 - 02/25/10 06:24 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: humphreysmar]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Heh, heh: Have you read Sandra's memoir?

Cute blond who appeared to be good; cute blond who appeared to be not so good. By age 12, innocent little Sandra was probably getting more action that Tuesday at 21!

#142006 - 02/25/10 07:37 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Cute blond who appeared to be good; cute blond who appeared to be not so good. By age 12, innocent little Sandra was probably getting more action that Tuesday at 21!

shocked LOL

#142007 - 02/25/10 08:01 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Scoutgal]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

shocked LOL

Exactly, Scout! wink Ponder's little tid bit about Sandra Dee is...well, what can I say. She was a yummy little creature to most guys I knew.

Edited by AustinRanter (02/25/10 09:17 PM)
Edit Reason: chunk in a bit more about Ponder's comment

Yours Truly - Gregg

#142013 - 02/25/10 09:19 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: humphreysmar]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: humphreysmar

Slobbering over Sandra Dee and Tuesday Weld was not allowed. You had to make a choice. Cute blond who was good; cute blond who wasn't.

Brunettes, it was the brunettes for me.
It has ALWAYS been the brunettes.
Even in the Viking Valhalla of Minnesota, I still sought out the brunettes, and up there, they were ....."exotic". (LOL)

---Benjamin Bratton

#142020 - 02/25/10 10:14 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Even in the Viking Valhalla of Minnesota, I still sought out the brunettes, and up there, they were ....."exotic". (LOL)

I remember the older boys slobbering over Annette Funicello, and the Men over Elizabeth Taylor in the 60's.

#142022 - 02/25/10 10:16 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Hey: It turns out, everything bad that ever happened is our fault. We shoulda listened to our parents after all...

Did Woodstock hippies lead to US financial collapse?

Christian Science Monitor article, discussing a new film from the same jerk who took “Hillary: The Movie” to the Supreme Court and destroyed our Republic in the process.

#142023 - 02/25/10 10:19 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Jeff,

I can think of quite a few really hot Brunettes during the 50s and 60s. I mean what guy who watched "Rebel Without A Cause" and didn't flip for Natalie Wood (as you mentioned in a previous post)...hmmmm, well, you dig what I'm saying.

What about Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Leslie Caron?

I thought Audry Hepburn was awesomely beautiful...but she was way too pristine for the likes of me. After all, I'm an Oak Cliff boy.

Unless one is from Dallas - they'll never know what it means being from Oak Cliff. But, a clue: If you walked around Oak Cliff and you were stopped by the police, searched for weapons, and you didn't have any...they'd issue you a gun and a knife on the spot.

Yours Truly - Gregg

#142029 - 02/26/10 12:30 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Hey: It turns out, everything bad that ever happened is our fault. We shoulda listened to our parents after all...

Did Woodstock hippies lead to US financial collapse?

Christian Science Monitor article, discussing a new film from the same jerk who took “Hillary: The Movie” to the Supreme Court and destroyed our Republic in the process.

I think I've come to realize that what we are witnessing is the resurgence of the kind of right wing philosophies that we were subjected to in the 1950's, compounded by the lowering of the collective right wing IQ by about 40 points, which of course is what accounts for the tea baggers.
But make no mistake, we're about to see a brand new, uber wealthy backed McCarthyism. Instead of witch hunting commies, they will be witch hunting liberals.
And this time, they OWN the government.

Sorry guys, I won't go quietly, I won't plead the fifth, I won't submit to blacklisting and demonizing.
I intend to fight dirty.

---Benjamin Bratton

#142093 - 02/26/10 11:20 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: AustinRanter]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#142098 - 02/27/10 12:26 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: AustinRanter]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I mean what guy who watched "Rebel Without A Cause" and didn't flip for Natalie Wood (as you mentioned in a previous post)...hmmmm, well, you dig what I'm saying.

Ummm, it was all about Sal Mineo and James Dean, I mean cmon.
blush

#142133 - 02/27/10 07:27 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
I remember the older boys slobbering over Annette Funicello

Ewww! I remembered Annette from her Mousketeer days as a preteen, and she always reminded me of my older sister. No way!

Why even look at Annette, when Gidget (Sandra Dee) is right down the beach?

I even had a real live Gidget (cute blond girl-midget surfer) growing up right across the street when I was a teen. It seemed like one week we were all playing touch football in the street, and then next week she was out waxing her board on the lawn in her little red bikini, with a chorus of dumbfounded neighborhood boys watching in awe.

Funny thing about Gidget: The original book was written as a collaboration between a Czechoslovakian Jewish immigrant and his daughter (Kathy Kohner, nicknamed Gidget) when she served as his guide to the SoCal surf subculture. So the real Gidget was a Jewish brunette!

#142136 - 02/27/10 07:53 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

In the 60's, I was in love with Johnny Quest!

#142162 - 02/28/10 02:54 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

An American poet in every sense of the word, perhaps somewhat on the "dark side," but, hey, it was the sixties! Or, maybe it wasn't.

#142164 - 02/28/10 03:01 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Joe, now talk about lusting ....... Jim Morrison was the sexiest man of the decade by far. I always regretted not bing in the audience when he allegedly pulled his ...., well, you know.

#142169 - 02/28/10 04:10 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Edited by Joe Keegan (02/28/10 05:04 PM)
Edit Reason: chord, not cord

#142170 - 02/28/10 04:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

'

That is chord, not cord!.

They both go back to the same root, though: the Greek khordé, meaning "gut."

Mildly interesting music, though. I like the influence of Indian raga. I wonder what year it is from?

#142174 - 02/28/10 05:16 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#142175 - 02/28/10 05:26 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: numan
'

That is chord, not cord!.

They both go back to the same root, though: the Greek khordé, meaning "gut."

Mildly interesting music, though. I like the influence of Indian raga. I wonder what year it is from?

Thanks for the education.

#142179 - 02/28/10 06:07 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#142180 - 02/28/10 06:26 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

The music was the best! In 1962, every Saturday from mid-February to May was the day my parents spent viewing homes in anticipation of purchasing their first place. My sisters and I were left with neighborhood babysitters. Our favorite was the teen aged girl that lived across the way from us. She would turn on American Bandstand and teach us all the latest dances. Then, she would pop us some popcorn and play games with us.

#142181 - 02/28/10 06:37 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

God bless you.

#142183 - 02/28/10 08:22 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#142184 - 02/28/10 09:10 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.

Mildly interesting music, though.
you think?
I like the influence of Indian raga. I wonder what year it is from?
1967 wiki

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#142243 - 03/02/10 01:36 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Wasn't Paul McCartney in that band before WINGS?

#142245 - 03/02/10 02:03 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Morrison's first and last appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show on September 17, 1967.

#142393 - 03/03/10 01:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Satisfaction performed by The Rolling Stones on The Ed Sullivan Show on February 13, 1966.

#142400 - 03/03/10 01:53 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#142528 - 03/05/10 06:09 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

I was re-reading my posting at the top of page two of this thread, and suddenly wondered if the unstudied expression of my native woodnotes wild might cause some people to think that I am a snob?

Now I know that it is ridiculous that anyone could think me a snob --- but I have known the occasional American who was capable of being so obtuse.

So I just wanted to mention that, although most of my time and energy in the 'sixties in Berkeley was devoted to learned studies and High Culture, I did also engage in healthy, socially constructive activities. For instance, I volunteered as a teaching assistant in an elementary school in Oakland, and I was part of a group that handed out leaflets in front of the Oakland Induction Center, which explained how to avoid induction into the military machine of the time.

I think being in Berkeley in the 'sixties was the only time that I actually enjoyed living in the United States. There was a combination of learning, culture, ferment and earnestness which was very appealing, if unconnected with the real nature of the United States. I, for one, have not given in to the illusion that the counter-culture ended the Vietnam War. The War ended when the war profiteers were no longer making sufficient money, due to the degradation of the economy, and the distortions in it caused by the Military-Industrial Conspiracy.

Still, it was an interesting and pleasingly un-American time. I remember May 4, l967 walking across the campus at noon and hearing the strains of the Red Chinese (as we called them at the time) National Anthem ringing out all over the University from the carillon tower: "Arise, arise, arise! All ye who do not wish to be slaves!"

Later that day, I chanced to meet the elderly lady who played the bells of the carillon and congratulated her on her prank. Apparently, I was the only person who had noticed what she was playing!

In the 'nineties I went back to Berkeley to visit the bookstores on Telegraph Avenue, and was repulsed by how the place had descended into the vacuous abyss of Yuppie-dom. I have no desire to see the place ever again.

Edited by numan (03/05/10 06:47 PM)

#142529 - 03/05/10 06:56 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

So, Numan... you were one of those draft dodging, pot smokin', free lovin', flower children who were screwin' up traffic, livin' in tree houses... and growing poppies. That was probably you that I met in Turners' Falls Mass... Running the Sun Y. Moon Shoppe.
That tie-dye shirt you sold me, "ran" the first time it was washed.

My wife really thought your nose ring looked great, and I had to lock her in the house for a week, 'til the sit-in was over.

Anyway... Speaking of Natalie Wood... "Rebel without a Cause" was on AMC two days ago. I had almost forgotten Natalie... and then I remembered... tiny waist, cute white blouse with sharp points... yeah... yeah... almost forgot...

My generation was more into Betty Grable, and (ahem) Terry Moore (only the older generation would remember the tiny telescopes with special Pics of Terry, sitting on a fence)... ... but... Natalie Wood was a good transition into bigpersonhood.

Sixties... sheesh... by that time I was married with 2 sons.

#142533 - 03/05/10 08:57 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

My wife really thought your nose ring looked great....

I am sure that I never once saw a nose-ring in the 60's, or even in the 70's. When I was growing up, a girl who had her ears pierced was considered to be an abandoned soul headed straight to hell. What I remember are girls who were fresh and natural and healthy, liberated from lipstick and cosmetics --- and sundry other restrictions.

If it just weren't for the hideous stench of patchouli oil that permeated every crevice of the 60's, it would have been paradise.

So, Numan... you were one of those draft dodging, pot smokin', free lovin', flower children who were screwin' up traffic, livin' in tree houses... and growing poppies. That was probably you that I met in Turners' Falls Mass... Running the Sun Y. Moon Shoppe.

Yes, all these pathetic delusions that people have about the counter-culture of the 'sixties.

Americans do love to tell lies to themselves.

And amid the oceans of lies in which Americans live and swim and have their essential being, what do the little lies about the 'sixties matter?

Edited by numan (03/05/10 09:09 PM)

#142552 - 03/06/10 08:01 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Then and Now. They discuss the differences between then and now in this interview.

#142578 - 03/06/10 12:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#145375 - 04/03/10 04:47 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#145378 - 04/03/10 05:07 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#145380 - 04/03/10 05:18 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Numan, were we in Berkeley at the same time? I arrived fall 1967.

Phil 1968

Berkely house

#145390 - 04/03/10 06:21 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
numan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins

Numan, were we in Berkeley at the same time? I arrived fall 1967.

And I left in the summer of 1967.

Neat pictures. You looked pretty cool -- back then.

#145391 - 04/03/10 06:26 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

Ah, Joan Baez! I remember hearing her singing against the Vietnam War on the steps of the Federal Building in Los Angeles!

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for her!

#145393 - 04/03/10 06:39 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Numan said:
Quote:

Yes, all these pathetic delusions that people have about the counter-culture of the 'sixties.

Americans do love to tell lies to themselves.

And amid the oceans of lies in which Americans live and swim and have their essential being, what do the little lies about the 'sixties matter?

Yeah... sixties... seventies... all in the missing part of my memory... It ain't lies... It's AZ. Hmm About all I ever had any contact with (generational stereotypes) was Timothy Leary...in the '50's, and as I recall, in Cronin's Bar, in Harvard Yard...

I found this little blurb in my hunt for "Cronin's" and I sure it was the same place:
Quote:
A friend reminded me, during discussion of this essay, that I seemed to have forgotten Cronin's bar. I did and I didn't. I thought of it at some point, but it was not on my direct itinerary, so it simply disappeared from my internal radar. Cronin's was originally where the Holyoke Center now is, but in the late '50s moved to much larger quarters near the MTA car barn on Mt. Auburn Street. As a crass youth I had first tried to “get served” at the Wursthaus and was refused with a sneer. But I succeeded at Cronin's and was seldom, if ever, asked for ID there. As we all grew up, Cronin's became a favored location on the regular haunt circuit. Another friend tells me that “Cronin's had a movie night which also made it a good date place.” I don’t know how I could have been unaware of that, but there it is. Cronin’s has long been gone from the Square scene, having been replaced by the Kennedy Center.

Cronin's also served brown (Bock) beer,

Had not a clue as to drugs, peaceniks, and flower children... That was in my early working days, and with four little kids and a wife to feed, had no time . The "60's". A "blur".

#145403 - 04/03/10 10:16 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

That is a very cool presentation Cousin It but the author COMPLETELY skipped over the US/USSR moon race.
It ain't the 1960's without the moon race, in my humble opinion.
To me, that picture of Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon is pretty much THE iconic picture of that era.

America was at its technological peak in the 1960's.
We singlehandedly led the entire planet to the top of the mountain and brought them into "the promised land" in technological terms.

---Benjamin Bratton

#145407 - 04/03/10 10:37 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Scoutgal]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

But they don't look as cool-except for maybe the new Shelby-style Mustang!

---Ehh...I dunno Scoutgal, you tell me if you really feel that way after watching these spots I just finished.

Momentum Race Group

Reed Automotive Design

I can't help it! I do love the classic Camaro and Mustang, but after having been around a road course in both of the new models, I have to say that Ford and GM have really done an incredible job...

AND deep down, I am STILL a MOPAR (Chrysler) GUY!

This is what got my heart racing in the 60's!

Hemi Cuda

66 Hemi Charger - the exhaust is saying "giddyup giddyup giddyup"

And of course I am kicking myself because I OWNED one of these
1966 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi - they can fetch as much as
TWO HUNDRED thousand dollars at auction these days.

There's nothing that can match the raw power and might of a
1960's MoPar Hemi.

Holy krap just found another one, doing its business!
1966 Hemi Coronet takes the 1/4 mile in 9.9 seconds

---Benjamin Bratton

#145422 - 04/04/10 06:58 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

WOW! Those spots were great! To produce that quality you have to love cars and had been active in the 60's "muscle car" culture. It was a good time.

#145423 - 04/04/10 07:02 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Ah, Joan Baez! I remember hearing her singing against the Vietnam War on the steps of the Federal Building in Los Angeles!

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for her!
I remember Baez for speaking out against the Communist Khmer Rouge slaughter of millions of Cambodians, while MSM and the "Libruls" remained silent as they had when Stalin starved millions of Ukrainians to death.

#145424 - 04/04/10 07:19 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

The then president of F.E.A.R. asked me to address the Berkeley Chapter around '93 or so. Since I liked her and was there anyway, I did. I spoke with Donald Scott's personal friend and lawyer. Despite my own personal experiences. I was still naive. I wanted to believe. People came up to me afterwards, and shared some stories that spun my head around. I didn't believe that this abuse was possible in our country. It is.

#145426 - 04/04/10 07:52 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#145427 - 04/04/10 07:59 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

And unfiltered Camels?

#145430 - 04/04/10 08:48 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Some of what I remember...

The Beatles

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#145431 - 04/04/10 08:51 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

An interesting decade. Brown eyes?

#145441 - 04/04/10 10:51 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

I remember Baez for speaking out against the Communist Khmer Rouge slaughter of millions of Cambodians, while MSM and the "Libruls" remained silent as they had when Stalin starved millions of Ukrainians to death.

Yes, the Khemer Rouge were terrible, but what Americans do not like to remember is that it was the horrific American covert bombing of Cambodia that destabilized the country, and permitted the Khemer Rouge to take over.

Cambodia was a pretty nice country before Americans decided to give them freedom.

#145443 - 04/04/10 10:52 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

No hodad worth his salt doesn't!

---Benjamin Bratton

#145445 - 04/04/10 10:59 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Brown eyes?
Nope it doesn't speak to me personally. I've got very green eyes.
It just epitomizes the diversity of the time. It wasn't even a favorite of mine, tho I did like it.

Others that come to mind are Peter and Gordon, Chad and Jeremy, The Monkeys, certainly the Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane, all the Motown stuff.

This...

#145449 - 04/04/10 11:10 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: olyve
Some of what I remember...
(Hendrix clip)

Did you know that they're putting a whole bunch of previously unreleased Hendrix music on the market?

For starters, there's a new album "Valleys of Neptune".

Jimi Hendrix dot com

In 1995, while I was struggling to get free of my crack cocaine demons, I managed to stay up late one night without the aid of chemical enhancement and listened to a late night rock and roll interview show on FM radio. The host had Greg Lake and Carl Palmer as guests, and they dropped a huge bombshell.

They said that Jimi had tired of the hype and wasn't satisfied with his old band anymore and he wanted to branch off into new forms of music.

They wanted Jimi to help them put together a new group.

Originally Posted By: Greg Lake

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree...Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together."

However, in the radio interview, Greg said that they did INDEED drop by and "noodle around a bit" at Electric Ladyland.
He did not however, elaborate even after being pushed for more clarification by the host.

The group was to be called H.E.L.P. or Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

The mind boggles!

---Benjamin Bratton

#145451 - 04/04/10 11:17 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

The Sixties also gave us Lowell George.
Dixie Chicken was originally written in 1968!
Here they are with Jessie Winchester, Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris in 1977 performing this classic
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken

Unfortunately, network Tee Vee being what it is, it's the SHORT version.

---Benjamin Bratton

#145453 - 04/04/10 11:51 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

And then there is the budding genius of one young musician from Baltimore who managed to appear on The Steve Allen Show in 1963.

What was his claim to fame?
He played a BICYCLE.

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Which of course was a natural segue to
THIS????

---Benjamin Bratton

#145577 - 04/05/10 06:12 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

#145742 - 04/07/10 01:08 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

While these pictures were technically just beyond the sixties (June 1970) the Who were among my favorite 60's rock bands. These were taken onstage at Angel Stadium while I was floating on some Orange

Daltrey 1

Townsend <br /><br /><a href=scan0016

#145746 - 04/07/10 01:36 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
these are great, phil. you say you took them yourself?

#145755 - 04/07/10 02:19 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: 2wins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Yes I did, my brother got me 15 minutes on stage, unfortunately the dozens of color shots have disappeared. I was in such an orange altered state I am now amazed I was able to concentrate, focus and remember to click. LOL

#145757 - 04/07/10 02:22 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
well, orange or purple, the haze didn't alter what are quality shots of one of the most famous rock bands in the history of the music. very cool. i saw them in 82 on their first farewell tour at the cotton bowl in dallas. that show was color coded in purple.

#145770 - 04/07/10 03:29 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: 2wins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: 2wins
well, orange or purple, the haze didn't alter what are quality shots of one of the most famous rock bands in the history of the music. very cool. i saw them in 82 on their first farewell tour at the cotton bowl in dallas. that show was color coded in purple.

Thanks, that means alot coming from you 2wins. Purple haze, hmmmmm
The whole set is at Link

Edited by Phil Hoskins (04/07/10 03:29 PM)

#145934 - 04/08/10 05:13 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I heard something interesting on the radio today: Van Morrisson originally wrote and performed it as "Brown-Skinned Girl". When he went into the studio to record it, he decided it would get more airplay if he changed the lyrics and title. So he just sang "brown-eyed girl" without even writing down the change.

Some radio stations still banned it for the "making love in the tall grass" part, but imagine the suppression if he recorded it without the change!

#146665 - 04/15/10 10:45 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
That's too very bad. Making love to a brown skinned gal twixt the tall grass is something I will always remember fondly. And fondley.

Edited by Ken Hill (04/15/10 10:50 PM)

#146670 - 04/15/10 10:57 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

This is one of my favorites from the sixties. It's funny how the term "the sixties" means different things to different people.

#147450 - 04/23/10 07:35 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#147455 - 04/23/10 09:15 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Is it just me, or does this guy look like a young Bill Clinton?

#147468 - 04/23/10 10:39 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Siannan Offline
journeyman

Loc: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
Originally Posted By: 2wins

Thanks, that means alot coming from you 2wins. Purple haze, hmmmmm
The whole set is at Link

What? No package shot??? ROTFMOL

#147484 - 04/23/10 12:25 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Siannan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Siannon, I wasn't that brave back then eek

#147502 - 04/23/10 02:20 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

CRANK IT UP! As Tears Go By

#147750 - 04/25/10 04:26 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Bump:

Phil, olyve, Mick and anyone else who may care..here's Harry Reasoner's 1967 take on the 1960's and the Grateful Dead Haight Ashbury scene. I love his serious tone. And we have thought and discussed about what evolved from it. Who knew?

Them dang hippies

#147769 - 04/25/10 07:44 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
olyve Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Ken Hill
Who knew?

Them dang hippies
LOL! Who knew indeed!
Poor old Harry. Somebody needs to give that man a joint and tell him to relax.

His fear and loathing was for naught.
From there to here.

Quote:
Scholars, fans, artists, performers and members of the extended Grateful Dead family will gather on campus for the first major university conference on the enduring legacy of the Dead experience.

Unbroken Chain: The Grateful Dead in Music, Culture and Memory will bring together more than fifty presenters for twenty panel sessions ranging from music composition and improvisation to an examination of the band's business model, as well as a musical performances, gallery exhibits, and presentations. Unbroken Chain is being presented in conjunction with a semester-long graduate history seminar entitled American Beauty: Music, Culture and Society, 1945-95; and an undergraduate course entitled How Does the Song Go: The Grateful Dead as a Window into American Culture.
I guess he'd be turning over in his grave if he knew. wink

Thank you, Ken. That was awesome.

#147800 - 04/25/10 10:46 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Olive my dear---Robert Towne, in his classic film Chinatown, had Noah Cross (John Huston) uttering the following phrase to Mr. Gittes (Mr. Gits)--Jack Nicholson-- as they sat down to an afternoon lunch of whole fish—heads included. Of course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough. Much to Mr Reasoner's grave turning chagrin, that also applies to the Grateful Dead.

The Atlantic Monthly recently had an interesting article on The Dead's business model. Again—who knew?

Management Secrets of the Grateful Dead

#147803 - 04/25/10 11:03 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

I couldn't get your U Tube link to open. I'll try another path.

#147804 - 04/25/10 11:22 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
olyve Offline
veteran

Of course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
I love it! You have NO idea how much I can relate, Ken.
Does this work better? (the other one still works for me but there a bunch of references to this event)
Unbroken Chain: The Grateful Dead in Music, Culture and Memory, UMass at Amherst
Quote:
Scholars, fans, artists, performers and members of the extended Grateful Dead family will gather on campus for the first major university conference on the enduring legacy of the Dead experience.

#147897 - 04/26/10 09:24 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

...and a gentler time. Ballads were "in" around 1961.

#149499 - 05/09/10 06:43 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#149501 - 05/09/10 07:13 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#149508 - 05/09/10 08:45 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Panamaed Offline
stranger

Loc: Southern
Sometimes it is the weasels who hang the heroes that write history, too.

#149520 - 05/09/10 11:38 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

My favorite Donovan song.

#149533 - 05/09/10 02:21 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
numan Offline
veteran

'

Though hardly his most sophisticated composition, I always liked "There Is a Mountain" because of its incorporation of a Zen koan: ("First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is").

Did you know that Donovan contributed the line "sky of blue and sea of green" to the Beatles' song "Yellow Submarine"? Probably the most memorable line of a song that may be the simplest, most memorable and most universally loved of the Beatles' songs, and may be the song of theirs which will best be remembered through history.

By the way, why has Phil Ochs been air-brushed out of history by the propaganda machine? Much of his oeuvre was outstanding.

Edited by numan (05/09/10 02:34 PM)

#149633 - 05/10/10 08:28 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
'

By the way, why has Phil Ochs been air-brushed out of history by the propaganda machine? Much of his oeuvre was outstanding.

I don't think he has. I'd never heard of him until maybe 10 years ago when a new biography came out, and I bought some of his music then. I've heard a number of musicians refer to his influence and so far as I know his music has been re-released on CD.

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#149644 - 05/10/10 01:32 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Mellowicious]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#149649 - 05/10/10 02:03 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#149655 - 05/10/10 02:50 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Don't know about turning back time, but she seems to have stopped it:

#149767 - 05/11/10 07:55 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

you win

#150163 - 05/13/10 07:24 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Hey, Motown.

#150166 - 05/13/10 07:56 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#150199 - 05/14/10 04:20 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
numan Offline
veteran

'

KWhy is it that the sixties seem to mean nothing but vapid popular music to so many people?

#150201 - 05/14/10 05:22 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
SkyHawk Offline
Admin Emeritus
old hand

Ummm... because that's what this thread is about? Hmm

#150203 - 05/14/10 06:31 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

'

KWhy is it that the sixties seem to mean nothing but vapid popular music to so many people?

What do the sixties mean to you?

#150216 - 05/14/10 10:32 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

I used to (and still do) listen to this LP quite a bit. Hypnotically amazing.

In a Silent Way

#150234 - 05/14/10 02:38 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
olyve Offline
veteran

We've got some Miles Davis too!
Bow

#150712 - 05/19/10 08:23 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#150715 - 05/19/10 08:48 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

OK so technically this happened in the 70's. Very early. But kick back, drink some wine (quite a bit actually), smoke a big honkin bowl..lay back and take a serious listen to:

Miles Runs the Voodoo Down

This comes in 2 parts and the music of today absolutely sucks in comparison unless one is into American Addled or some such drivel. Check out the baritone sax--among others.

#150719 - 05/19/10 09:01 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#150725 - 05/19/10 09:39 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

What can you say Joe? The bands of the 60's and 70's (and earlier I may strongly add) were so much better than the artificial, synthesized, computer driven unhuman sound of today’s music. I have tried to listen to today’s pop music to try to give it a real shot to see if there was anything there, but as someone once said (Gertrude Stein?)—there is no there there. It is all computer driven perfection without much actual human interaction.

I wish some younger people could/would (right) weigh in and listen to all of the stuff on this thread and actually say with conviction that the music of today is better that the music of 25+ years ago. When I get the chance to have 20’ers and less visiting and the situation presents itself, I play all kinds of older music for them and check out their reaction. Mostly they like it very much…………I think.

#150729 - 05/19/10 10:13 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#151026 - 05/21/10 05:17 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

'

Another vapid somewhat popular 60's song?

#152964 - 06/11/10 08:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#152967 - 06/11/10 09:38 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Suitable for well-baked folks covered in paisley and beads:
It's A Beautiful Day: White Bird

#152968 - 06/11/10 09:44 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

A few months ago we heard Herb and his lovely wife Lani Hall at a concert in Eugene. It was great and they both still sound and look good. Time has treated them well and Herb’s trumpet playing is still sharp.

And remember that great cover of "Whipped Cream and Other Delights". I'll refresh your memory:

At the time Herb thought it to be too risque but his agent told him to go with it. Thankfully he listened.

#152976 - 06/12/10 06:59 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: pondering_it_all]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Suitable for well-baked folks covered in paisley and beads:
It's A Beautiful Day: White Bird
I still have the LP vinyl album.

#152977 - 06/12/10 07:05 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

A few months ago we heard Herb and his lovely wife Lani Hall at a concert in Eugene. It was great and they both still sound and look good. Time has treated them well and Herb’s trumpet playing is still sharp.
WOW!

#153016 - 06/12/10 03:08 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Hey, Yo!

#155384 - 07/14/10 10:55 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#161067 - 09/04/10 03:56 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#165892 - 10/29/10 01:41 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#165893 - 10/29/10 01:47 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#172722 - 01/16/11 01:57 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#172759 - 01/16/11 05:45 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
http://www.chadmitchelltrio.com/index2.html

The songs about Billy Sol Estes and John Birch are priceless.

#175054 - 02/19/11 12:39 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: loganrbt]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#175243 - 02/21/11 08:40 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#175259 - 02/21/11 11:34 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

#175352 - 02/22/11 10:54 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: issodhos]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Edited by issodhos (02/22/11 10:56 PM)

#179884 - 04/25/11 12:05 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: issodhos]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#179964 - 04/25/11 11:06 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Status Quo - Pictures Of Matchstick Men

#180182 - 04/28/11 02:20 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Ozymanithrax Offline

#180214 - 04/28/11 04:10 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#180217 - 04/28/11 04:46 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#180218 - 04/28/11 05:09 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#180219 - 04/28/11 05:55 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#180220 - 04/28/11 06:03 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

I thought you were going to post Town without Pitney--err Pity. LOL

#180267 - 04/29/11 06:59 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

That was one of his most popular songs, but I liked his version of Unchained Melody better. Pitney was and still is one of my favorite singers and- IMO -underrated. He was part of a country rock genre in the early sixties that included the Everly Brothers, Johnny Rivers, Neil Diamond, Roy Orbison, Bobby Vinton among others that had quite a following even after the "British Invasion."

#180318 - 04/29/11 07:35 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

crank this one up to really enjoy.

Edited by issodhos (04/29/11 07:36 PM)

#180324 - 04/29/11 08:31 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ozymanithrax Offline

#180327 - 04/29/11 08:39 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Chuck Howard Offline
old hand

Loc: Philly 'burbs
That was one of his most popular songs, but I liked his version of Unchained Melody better. Pitney was and still is one of my favorite singers and- IMO -underrated. He was part of a country rock genre in the early sixties that included the Everly Brothers, Johnny Rivers, Neil Diamond, Roy Orbison, Bobby Vinton among others that had quite a following even after the "British Invasion."

Mr. Orbison was my favorite. Here's the finale to the Black and White Night concert back in the late '80s. This is a classic.

Pretty Woman

#180328 - 04/29/11 08:39 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: issodhos]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#180349 - 04/30/11 05:23 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Chuck Howard]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Roy Orbinson is still one of my favorite singers. I read or heard somewhere that Elvis Presley believed that Orbinson sang better than him. At any rate, there are still a lot of Roy Orbinson fans out there. Some people have compared Chris Isaak to Roy Orbinson. Isaak definitely creates a mood.

#180573 - 05/02/11 02:49 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: issodhos]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Iss: I have a dear friend who lives in California. (Californicate)ions for us Oregonians--but let’s forget that for now. A quite accomplished musician I may add.
When he was young (raised in Oakland) he would tell me stories about going to hear J. J.-- aka "Big Brother" and “The Holding Co”. He said he would proceed to sit in the front row with his jaw dropped agape, and listen to Janis sing as he sat dumbfounded. I can’t say I have ever experienced that-as I never did. But I wish I could have.

#180622 - 05/02/11 01:41 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

This was recorded recently by ol Mose but it’s roots go back to the 50’s.

#180639 - 05/02/11 03:30 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Paul Revere & The Raiders-1001 Arabian Nights

I owned this album, and this was a favorite in my 16th year.

#180649 - 05/02/11 06:13 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

In the old days, they had these things called public pay telephones and they actually worked. You'd put in 10 cents ("invest a dime)and place your call. Sometime later you had to invest a quarter. Now try to find a public pay telephone, and, if you do, one that works.

#181170 - 05/08/11 01:48 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#181181 - 05/08/11 04:33 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

For mother's day

#181193 - 05/08/11 08:13 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

That chimed in at 441.2666 Hz. Ol Frank was diabolical indeed.

Snark aside- thanks for that link. Hadn’t heard that one in many moons.

Edited by Ken Hill (05/08/11 08:13 PM)
Edit Reason: sphellin

#181341 - 05/10/11 05:37 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Eric Burdon and The Animals - When I Was Young (1967) HD & HQ

#181343 - 05/10/11 05:56 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Eric Burdon & The Animals - Sky Pilot

#181438 - 05/11/11 02:54 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#181571 - 05/13/11 06:05 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#181593 - 05/13/11 01:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

#182361 - 05/23/11 05:36 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#182362 - 05/23/11 05:39 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#182399 - 05/23/11 02:26 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Good Animals posts Oz. I was a huge Animals fan as a teen and still like their music. At 15 I heard them on a double bill with the wind up band Hermans Hermits. The Animals opened the show and when HH came on the audience booed them (me too) begging the Animals to return. Got a good laugh out of that.

And I was so much older then--when I was young. Indeed.

#182417 - 05/23/11 08:32 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ken Condon]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Specially for issodhos:

#182422 - 05/23/11 09:00 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Ozymanithrax Offline

The 60's were more than music and drugs, they were also Super Chicken.

#182442 - 05/24/11 06:02 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Bitchen! That was boss! Super Chicken was a bad dude. Remember these other groovy and outta sight super heroes?

#182448 - 05/24/11 06:36 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

What's a hero without a villain? Remember this guy?
Besides LBJ and McNamara,do you have any other favorite 60's villains?

#182487 - 05/24/11 02:58 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

When I first started working for American-Russian Television in West Hollywood (Fairfax District) I tried to tell my bosses about Boris and Natasha, and about Bullwinkle the Moose.

I got puzzled and blank stares in return until I finally located a VHS tape of some of the episodes. A few days later my boss Viktor told me that they had a cartoon in Russia called "Mr Twister" which was somewhat the equivalent.

I cannot remember the entire theme song but it started out
"Mr. Twister, former minister". Mr. Twister's character was that of a Yankee carpetbagger who roamed the countryside attempting in his bumbling way to extort or otherwise dupe the hardworking proles of their righteously earned state goods and the little money they had, and of course he was always foiled by the superior intellect of the Russian people.

I've never been able to find a recording or reference to it on the internet however.

Viktor always referred to my first wife Linda as Natasha once he developed an appreciation for the Bullwinkle show's characters. He agreed that it was a brilliantly executed piece of American propaganda. His uncle Sergey, my other boss, was the spitting image, in both looks and temperament, of Boris Badenov.

---Benjamin Bratton

#182488 - 05/24/11 03:17 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

One of my all time favorite movies:

#182507 - 05/24/11 10:27 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida

Happy 70th Birthday to Bob Dylan

#183423 - 06/04/11 12:22 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#183610 - 06/06/11 10:39 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Maybe a squeeze, but it began in 1969, and ran through 1997.

HEE HAW

I loved the show, and now it's in regular re-runs on RFD-TV. A chance to relive very happy times.

#183614 - 06/06/11 11:49 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

#184046 - 06/11/11 04:12 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#184728 - 06/17/11 02:28 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#186094 - 06/29/11 12:01 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#186104 - 06/29/11 12:33 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#186147 - 06/29/11 02:08 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#187388 - 07/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

#187434 - 07/10/11 07:38 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: itstarted]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Reminds me of the time I took my son (then about 4) to the zoo and had him stand at the elephant cage. Every one in a while he would call out, "Gerald, come get a peanut." A woman walked up and said to him, "Gerald? Who is Gerald."

The junior punster laughed and said, "The elephant's Gerald." And that woman glared at me and said, "You are an evil man."

#187960 - 07/13/11 05:21 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#187961 - 07/13/11 05:24 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#188398 - 07/16/11 12:46 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#188461 - 07/17/11 10:39 AM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#189136 - 07/25/11 01:31 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#210987 - 01/28/12 01:05 PM Re: Take me back to the Sixties [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2