Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#146916 - 04/18/10 01:41 PM RETIREMENT
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Hopefully, a place to openly discuss anything having to do with Retirement.

Questions, Concerns, Worries, Advice, Experience, Money, Planning, Hints... and Hope.

A wide field, open to all who are looking forward to the future and growing older with a measure of peace and contentment.

#146924 - 04/18/10 03:01 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
Within 2 years for me, IT. It isn't fun anymore and I am thus ready to hang it up and walk away. For the time being we will stay where we are - about 30 minutes from Phoenix. When Ms. Mickey retires then perhaps on down to Tucson. Ms. Mickey being younger has 10 more years of toil and trouble to face before retirement.

I firmly believe that within the next 5 years how all of us live will be determined by the availability/affordability of gasoline. I don't imagine it will resemble life in the US today. More bicycle and motor scooter riding. Goods and services will be affected as well.

For retired people I believe that life within the next 5 or 10 years will be easier when compared to working people. We will all have to learn to live more local. Ms. Mickey and I try to do that anyway. We both work in Phoenix. Any day we don't have to travel to Phoenix is a good day.

Worries? Not yet. We'd like to downsize our home in about 5 years. Though we love it, smaller would be easier to manage and less expensive to maintain. We were fortunate not to have been devastated by the housing bubble, however if we sold now, assuming we could, we'd leave money on the table. The market - hopefully - should return in a few years. Time will tell.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#146927 - 04/18/10 03:34 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
You mean the housing market? Not in this neck. Western Oregon economy is still dominated by forest products and as long as the national and global housing market is in the tank Oregon hurts badly. Our unemployment rate is around 15% right now. Hynix built a huge DRAM plant in West Eugene 15 years ago and last year they bailed. The massive plant sits empty now with some talk of a solar panel manufacturer taking it over, but so far nothing.

Junction City, 8 miles north of Eugene, was dominated by motor home manufacturing. They’ve all packed up and vanished. Not that it breaks my heart because I personally despise the motor home idea but it did provide blue collar jobs which have now disappeared. Guess what’s probably coming to Junction City to replace the motor home industry? A prison and a mental hospital. Great! But I suppose locking people up gets them out of the employment pool.

Until the hosing market collapsed me and a partner bought wrecked houses, fixed them up, and sold them. Did quite well for eight years and managed to put away a few bucks. But how does one invest those dollars these days and still sleep at night? Please don’t call me a flipper because we busted our ass on those houses and improved some blighted neighborhoods. And—I still have all my fingers. But the housing market has fallen so far here that economic model is broken. So now I am unemployed/retired and I think that’s it for me—unless I come up with another brainstorm. I’m working on it—I won’t give up yet. Fortunately our house is paid for and we own a 2 acre rural property outside of Junction City that is currently being rented. If in all caves in we will head there. At least it has great river bottom land and is very conducive to growing stuff.

In the winter we will head to Mexico and live with Checkers and his wife in their garage at their abode in Lake Chapala Mexico, although they are currently unaware of that plan.

#146929 - 04/18/10 04:05 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Ken Condon]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

LOL! I too am planning to live with Checkers and family, but in the summer. When you tell him about your plans do you mind giving him my plans as well? It'll save me a phone call.

I'm not saying the housing market is good here. It's crap. My zip code faired better than many in and around Phoenix, but my house lost value. We have been in this house since long before the market dropped. We saw prices go through the roof in houses around us. People who bought then are in deep caca. The market here is still depressed. It won't improve for a few years yet.

Arizona built its economy on building. That was great for the time that it lasted. Now, however, there is a load of new houses unoccupied. Huge condo building in downtown Phoenix are unoccupied. A few poor bastards who bought in early are living in damn near vacant buildings and can't afford to pay the building security and maintenance. The building owners are facing bankruptcies.

Arizona experienced - and maybe still is experiencing - a population decrease. No jobs here. Tax revenue has dropped by 33% and the state being broke has pushed what they can onto the cities and counties, who in turn can't afford diddly.

Soon to show up is the commercial real estate bust. I just renegotiated a 5 year lease for my office for $2.50 less than was I was paying 5 years ago. The building owner offered me an entire floor for an even better rate. I declined.

#146930 - 04/18/10 04:06 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Ken Condon]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
You and I are in about the same boat Ken, and it has sunk.
I spent 38 years in the construction industry. There were good times and bad times, now there are no times at all. Florida leads the nation in foreclosures and unemployment is about 15% here too. I'm calling myself semi-retired and work part time at a restaurant. Within the year my attorney assures me that I will qualify for a Social Security disability. My home and land are also paid for so I don't need a lot of money to live very comfortably. So far, I like this retirement thing. I make a few bucks here and there on the gray market and am pretty much enjoying life.

#146931 - 04/18/10 04:31 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Greger]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Indeed Greger--that's why we can spend so much time on the damn computer too! But it's warming up here and the sun is making it's annual return so I'll be outside more doing outside stuff and breathing fresh air. I have a few golf buddies and we hit the links on occasion (always walk) then head to the tavern afterwards, hoist a few, and solve the worlds problems. I'll be doing more of that but they are mostly still working--thankfully for them--so weekdays are tough for them to get out on the links. That might change shortly for them. One buddy of mine is wondering why he works so hard and what the purpose of that is—if you discount the income of course.

And Mick--how's the water supply in your neck? I am continually surprised Arizona can house so many people and irrigate their endless golf courses. Where does all your fresh water come from? Here that is not problem as we thankfully have all the pure water we could ever need. The winters can get a little tedious but we are grateful for all the fresh water and the incredible coastline. Although many NW rainbirds seeking that yellow orb head your way in the winter. I suppose that’s still going strong down there and providing a few jobs.

#146932 - 04/18/10 04:48 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Ken Condon]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

At present water is OK. We get most of it from the Colorado River and a few aquifers. We've had a good year of rain - everything being relative. Our reservoirs at the moment are higher than they've been in a few years so at present we are all right.

You are correct in that golf courses use a lot of water. I'm not a golfer, but I think many of the courses use gray water. Cattle ranching uses a great deal of water and then there are the swimming pools all over the middle and southern part of the state.

In a weird turn of fate the economic situation helped our water situation as many people left the state and fewer are moving here. We do still get snowbirds in the winter, but even that population has noticeably decreased. That leaves more water for the rest of us desert rats!

#146942 - 04/18/10 07:09 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Slipped Mickey]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
At this very moment, my wife is looking at houses for sale in Hilo, Hawaii on her PC. Her older brother is retiring from a position at an Illinois State University campus, has bought a house on Maui, and signed up to teach some classes at UH, Hilo. (He probably should have bought a house on the Big Island, but maybe he can do a trade.)

I've got another 6 years to qualify for MediCare, but if the new insurance exchange stuff works I could retire sooner. If it doesn't, then I might try to keep on working until my wife qualifies too.

#146947 - 04/18/10 07:55 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

I attended UH Hilo (kind of) and lived in Hilo for 4 years in the early 70's. Didn't get much studying done as those were party hearty days but sure had fun. Hilo is a nice town and has grown quite a bit since I lived there. It averages about 120" a year rainfall and more as you go up the slope of Mauna Kea--so tell him to bring an umbrella.

The Big Island in general is great and your brother in law will like it there. Much to see and do. But Maui is nice too. Is he planning to commute between the islands?

#146948 - 04/18/10 08:21 PM Re: RETIREMENT [Re: Ken Condon]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

When I lived there in one 24 hour period we had over 14" of rain. It rained so hard that my house had a harmonic hum going (they are all single wall construction with no insulation as it is unneeded.) Driving becomes impossible because it's like being under a waterfall. But hows this..from wiki:

The most rainfall in 24 hours was 27.24 inches on November 2, 2000

Can anyone out there imagine that? Surprisingly it doesn't flood as the whole city is on a slope and drains well.

Don't let that scare him away. He will get by..he will survive. And, it keeps the place green.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2