by jgw
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by logtroll
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
Yesterday at 06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281979 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 13 of 18 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 >
Topic Options
#163881 - 10/09/10 02:09 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: Ardy]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Of course, it is easy to forget that it is different in the United States. The United States are too large of an entity for collectivism to function properly. All instances of collectivist "success" has always been in small, homogenous societies.

Edited by Irked (10/09/10 03:12 AM)
Edit Reason: spelign

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#163883 - 10/09/10 02:34 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: Ted Remington]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: churlpat lives
Greger:
The point I am trying to make is that when you start taking away consumer protection controls, which medical licensing certainly is, then you start hurting people. And when you start putting controls in place to prevent that from happening you have become non-Libertarian.

Your concern over medical licensing is bit over-blown, churlpat. Do you not think that organizations such as the AMA would trip all over themselves to put certification programs into place and jealously guard the high standards that would be required for a potential physician to get their blessing? After all, what expertise does a government worker have for validating the skill level of an applicant for a license to whittle on people that would not also be available to a private certification entity? Who knows, perhaps there would be fewer doctor caused deaths if the certification procedure was handled by something more reputable than the government.:-)

That aside, I am not sure why you think you and your kids have an "absolute right to be free from sick people". No such right exists. You and your kids certainly have the right to not voluntarilly associate with them, but you have no right to "be free from" them. And, if you and your kids have been vaccinated, why would you care?:-)

And just a final thought: Unless you own the road and the intersections you are referring to, you never had a right to give up in regard to which side of the road you drive on or how you traverse an intersection.
Yours,
Issodhos

Edited by issodhos (10/09/10 02:35 AM)

#163885 - 10/09/10 02:46 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: Ted Remington]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: churlpat lives
"the citizens will willingly write and endorse the rules government needs in order to protect their rights"

And don't they do that now through their representatives? Excuse me, isn't that government? And if someone refuses to endorse the rules do you kick his fine young ass out? Why do I keep hearing flies buzzing?

"Let's just say someone besides the government controls licensing for the medical profession. Why must it always be the government in control? Why not Regional Licensing by a Private Licensing firm."

So it is better to trust someone over whom you have absolutely no control rather than someone over whom you have some control?
I suspect that you have just about zero control over the state, churlpat. However, people would certainly have more control over a private certifying company simply because if the company's certification procedures were found to be unreliable people would no longer place trust in that body and its certification would cease to have any value.
Yours,
Issodhos

#163886 - 10/09/10 02:56 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: itstarted]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: itstarted

In an earlier post, I linked the Libertarian Party website.
This thread is not about political parties, itstarted. Discussing the party platform of the Libertarian party would be fine in a separate thread, but trying to conflate it with a discussion on libertarian philosophy would be like discussing democracy by using the platform of the Democratic party.
Yours,
Issodhos

#163888 - 10/09/10 03:15 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: numan]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: numan

Ultimate equality and power of all persons (including, I presume, monopolistic multinational corporations)

Why would you think that, numan? Corporations -- local, regional, national, multinational, or transnational -- are government constructs that confer special protections and status to a business. That power would not be within the purview of government in a libertarian-oriented society.
Yours,
Issodhos

#163891 - 10/09/10 03:32 AM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: issodhos]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Originally Posted By: issodhos

In an earlier post, I linked the Libertarian Party website.
This thread is not about political parties, itstarted. Discussing the party platform of the Libertarian party would be fine in a separate thread, but trying to conflate it with a discussion on libertarian philosophy would be like discussing democracy by using the platform of the Democratic party.
Yours,
Issodhos

Sorry to tread on your thread... I'll try not to do it again. Should I delete my post?

I don't think I'm smart enough to get involved, anyway...Bye.

#163914 - 10/09/10 02:50 PM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: itstarted]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sorry to tread on your thread... I'll try not to do it again. Should I delete my post?

I don't think I'm smart enough to get involved, anyway...Bye.
If you look back at my history in this forum you will see that I do not get all proprietory over a thread I start or which direction it takes (unless it is intentionally redirected because someone does not want to or cannot discuss the issue). If you look back at much more recent history, you will note that you cannot blame this thread on me. Hmm That credit goes to Schlack. My only point was that you seemed to be mistaking a political party for a philosophy.
Yours,
Issodhos

#163915 - 10/09/10 02:59 PM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Don't let him push you around like that, Its, it aint his thread anyway, I think it belongs to Schlack.

The Libertarian Party Platform is about as close as many of us can come to a succinct explanation of what Libertarians want out of government. If their party does not reflect their philosophy, how then are others supposed to get a realistic grasp of this somewhat illusive philosophy.
Judging from the average Mad Max views, held by what appears to be a majority here, Libertarians have done a very poor PR job.
The core of the philosophy appears to be this:
Quote:
Libertarianism is, as the name implies, the belief in liberty. Libertarians strive for a free, peaceful, abundant world where each individual has the maximum opportunity to pursue his or her dreams and to realize his full potential.

The core idea is simply stated, but profound and far-reaching in its implications. Libertarians believe that each person owns his own life and property, and has the right to make his own choices as to how he lives his life – as long as he simply respects the same right of others to do the same.
source
The economic theory they seem to collectively embrace is that of Ludwig von Mises, as opposed to John Maynard Keynes, hence there seems to be no common ground for Libertarians and the majority of Left/Right/moderate Americans.
I suspect this may be intentional on the part of Libertarians, a lot of smoke and mirrors and not a lot of clarity. It does not appear to be working in their favor.

#163920 - 10/09/10 04:17 PM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
...from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Ideology

Libertarianism, Cultural liberalism, Non-interventionism, Classical liberalism

Political position

Fiscal: Laissez-faire
Social: Libertarian

...this is enough information for me to go on regarding the Libertarian Party. Hmm This is why I voted for many Libertarian candidates this fall.

...as an aside, I also voted for many Green Party candidates.

Quote:
Ideology

Green politics, Grassroots democracy, Social democracy, American progressivism, Populism

Political position

Fiscal: Left-wing
Social: Progressivism, Left-wing

...just covering all my bases. wink

#163927 - 10/09/10 04:42 PM Re: How a libertarian society would work [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
There are also Left and Right Libertarians.
I aint about to try to untangle that can of worms!

Page 13 of 18 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2