Current Topics
Quantitative Easing Is About to End. Here’s What It Did, in Charts.
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 26th-November 1st, 2014
by logtroll
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
Sarah Palin hopes to run for office again some day
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Genetic Testing
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 10:52 AM
The Pope and evolution
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 09:39 AM
Governor: Maine will seek to enforce quarantine of Kaci Hickox
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:33 AM
Brand new '2001: A Space Odyssey' trailer is gorgeous
by Golem
10/29/14 10:56 PM
Charles Barkley Slams "Unintelligent Blacks" on Philly Radio
by logtroll
10/29/14 07:40 PM
RETIREMENT
by california rick
10/28/14 05:27 PM
Interstellar: the movie
by Golem
10/28/14 05:14 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10/27/14 02:46 PM
"Same reason YOU get to live, breathe, and walk black!"
by Scoutgal
10/26/14 11:15 AM
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by logtroll
10/25/14 06:02 PM
Muslim Woman Attacks Muslims For Demanding Halal Food At Minnesota Food Banks
by NW Ponderer
10/25/14 12:03 PM
Ebola
by logtroll
10/24/14 03:06 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14420 Topics
248326 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#172838 - 01/17/11 06:30 PM CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my!
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’

Quote:
A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

Yahoo! News.com

#172858 - 01/18/11 12:06 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Pffft! The wife and I both agree that we just have to get outta Texas, and soon. We toyed with several ideas, especially the colder climates up North, because I LOVE the cold and she is an Illinois girl. But this last "teensy weensy" cold snap (if you can call it that) here in N TX had her shivering and saying something about the cold being "in her bones".

So now we know the truth, Karen would never survive being in the cold either. There goes my dream of moving back to Minneapolis, which I love so dearly, and it even crashes the idea of moving to Seattle.

So, with a brother in the real estate business we're starting to realize that returning to SoCal might be the best idea of them all, and now THIS...rears its ugly head?

Maybe I'll just buy some land, buy a dozen steel shipping containers, pour a gigantic raised concrete slab, weld them all together into a modern art home, bolt them to the concrete base and then pour huge amounts of molten rubber around the base itself.

I'll be damned if I'm going to move there and then let some stupid storm take away everything like it did in the quake of 1994! And I'll be damned if I'm going to let a flood do it either!

SoCal is one place where you can actually get away with designing a house like that and even get an award for it!

---Benjamin Bratton

#172863 - 01/18/11 01:01 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Checkerboard Strangler
...with a brother in the real estate business we're starting to realize that returning to SoCal might be the best idea of them all...

Ewwwwwwww. My condolences. gobsmacked

SoCal - you'll be so-r-r-r-r-r-y. smile

#172867 - 01/18/11 01:36 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Carl Nemo Offline
stranger

Loc: Ridgefield, Wa USA
Hi Checkerboard Strangler,

You and your wife should consider moving to Washington State.

We have no income tax and a fairly reasonable sales tax.

West of the Cascades to the ocean we have a maritime environment moderated by the North Pacific meaning nighttime lows to above freezing into the low 40's in the winter. We get alot of rain, but not the brutal cold found in many regions of the U.S. You can also opt for moving East of the Cascades within the state and enjoy blue sky, somewhat chillier winters, but not like that found in typically northern climes of the U.S.

The air is clean, the people for the most part are great and I'd say Northwest culture is progressive; ie., not operating with a fundamentalist bucket on their heads and I'm not referring to religion, but life in general.

I really think you and your wife would enjoy the Pacific Northwest.

Stay away from Southern Cali unless you want to be taken out in short order post an earthquake, floods, a national financial catastrophe etc. The gangs and general riff raff that reside in these southern regions will 'eat you alive' possibly literally too in the event the balloon goes up. / : | Northern Cali is a different animal and you could find a nice enclave in which to reside north and west of Sacramento in the Redwoods country, but California has serious financial problems that will ultimately affect your personal lifestyle too.

Carl Nemo **==

Edited by Carl Nemo (01/23/11 01:54 AM)

#172878 - 01/18/11 09:19 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Carl Nemo]
Sandune Offline

Carl, I hate to burst your bubble but take a look at the "Cascadia Fault" that is long overdue. I have always lived on the San Andreas Fault and our family all learned how to survive. Now with cell phones, the panic of communication with family members will be eased.

My choice for a move back to California is based on floods, fires and earthquakes which is why I chose the tip end of San Andreas. I do not have to worry about flooding as the Salton Sea will never have a tsunami.

#172879 - 01/18/11 09:36 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Sandune]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Sandune
I do not have to worry about flooding as the Salton Sea will never have a tsunami.

You hope! ROTFMOL

Salton is a sea for a reason... wink

#172882 - 01/18/11 11:29 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Sandune]
Carl Nemo Offline
stranger

Hi Ms. Price,

The biggest threat to southern Californians is the loss of potable water supplies if water from the North is interrupted via a massive earthquake or flooding which would possibly knockout pumping stations then all havoc will break out.

You can only survive for about three days without water and it's necessary for flushing and processing waste. So between the onset, unquenchable thirst and the failure of the sewer systems disease and rioting will break out.

There's also an estimated 100,000 plus gang members living in Southern Cali that will use such a disaster to their criminally disposed ends not including the burgeoning population of regular street criminals.

There's plenty of freshwater everywhere in the Northwest that can be processed easily with survival type water purification equipment such as the British Berkefeld gravity fed ceramic water filter that's been used over the world in some of the most polluted environments to provide fresh potable water.

I didn't share my sentiments on this subject to disrespect Southern Californians, but simply to address the realities relative to survival.

Carl Nemo **==

Edited by Carl Nemo (01/23/11 01:55 AM)

#172883 - 01/18/11 11:37 AM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: Carl Nemo]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Carl Nemo
Hi Ms. Price,

The biggest threat to southern Californians is the loss of potable water supplies if water from the North is interrupted via a massive earthquake...

...or better yet: When we NorCal'ers cut off SoCal's water supply from the Sacramento / San Joaquin delta. smile

Grubby thirsty SoCal'ers! rolleyes

#172885 - 01/18/11 12:11 PM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: pdx rick]
Sandune Offline

Yes, we lost our water source for a week after the 1971 quake. I had stored water for 2 years and we treated it like liquid gold. It wasn't just us but our horses, a donkey, a ton of chickens who needed water brought down the hill. My closest neighbor had a septic tank block up and at 6 am, the whole mountain shook and according to my friend, her septic system had a huge phart and began to work and we all were pleased. I lost all my windows in the house but my pot bellied stove worked so we did not freeze.

Rick, Palm Springs gets much of its water from the Colorado River. I haven't seen the Salton for a long time and hope a desal plant might be found in an emergency.

#172887 - 01/18/11 12:13 PM Re: CA earthquakes, floods & 'superstorms' - oh my! [Re: pdx rick]
Carl Nemo Offline
stranger

Hi Cali Rick,

It's interesting you should bring up the 'sour grapes' attitude of N. Californians supporting the "Cadillac Desert" environment found in the south.

There was even a scheme a number of years back to pipe Columbia River water south to California, not for the northern regions, but to abate the thirst for these unsustainable populations in southern Cali. The Pacific Northwest already supplies a large amount of electrical power used by Californians, specifically those in the south where the greater population resides.

The same phenomenon has occurred in the Phoenix, Tuscon and Las Vegas areas. Too many people including agriculture are depending on limited water supplies. Lake Meade has had a significant drawdown in the past ten years and it's noticeable via the rock strata on the sides of the lake.

As Cheech and Chong might say..."things are bad all over man"... : |

Carl Nemo **==

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2