by jgw
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by logtroll
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
Yesterday at 06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281979 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#192795 - 09/01/11 04:25 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
Sandune Offline

Yes 2wins. My home town and that of my Mother and grandmother has and always will be Santa Monica. My best memories can be found wandering around in Martrindale's book store where my grandmother set up my first charge account. I can't say enough about the wonderful beaches and lifeguards. I used to get air in my bike tires from Tab Hunter and Buster Crabbe taught us all how to swim in the ocean. We all got chased by Georgie Jessel and we got use to it. My grandmother used the sea water to rid us of any scars left from an accident and we learned to rub the sand on a wound and wash it off with the sea water which was healing. We knew everyone on Fifth Street between Wilshire and Montana and when Zukey's opened on Wilshire we rejoiced in his great Jewish food. Our home was always open to all musicians and we had many from the LA Philharmonic and even the Hollywood Bowl symphony. We would drive out to the valley on Sundays where Edward Everett Horton's home had a music salon overlooking what is now the Ventura Freeway and we heard all the best musicians including my mother when she was touring with Jose Uturbi's daugher doing Spanish Music. I'll bet Phil knows exactly where that house is...

I would imagine that many who live in Santa Monica can find the same warm charm that I grew up with. The difference is that we could always find a parking spot.

I found another Paradise halfway up the coast to San Francisco and it reminded me of Santa Monica in my youth. When the kids went off to college I moved to Cambria just a few miles south of the Hearst Castle and opened my bookstore. 20 years I lived there and loved every minute of it. My arthritis got so bad I had to move to the desert and chose Arizona. Not a good choice.

I am where my books and music are so I can live anywhere.

#192796 - 09/01/11 04:30 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: 2wins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Originally Posted By: 2wins
Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Los Angeles still has parts that are vibrant. West Hollywood, Downtown, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and other Metropolitan areas. Many areas are being revitalized. Water will always be an issue, but with our weather, it is still a Mecca for many.
water was a big issue growing up there in the 70s. never doubted that it would be a problem solved. as for areas, isn't hollywood revitalized? i loved living in the seedy hollywood of the mid-80s, though.

You wuld probably not recognize Hollywood today, 2wins. It has many new buildings, is a hotbed of new clubs and restaurants, and even a walk down Hollywood boulevard lacks the odor of old.

#192799 - 09/01/11 04:47 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
Sandune Offline

That odor of which you speak no doubt came from the thousands of costumes that had hung in my house for many years. I learned to appreciate it.

#192800 - 09/01/11 04:55 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: Phil Hoskins]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
Originally Posted By: 2wins
Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Los Angeles still has parts that are vibrant. West Hollywood, Downtown, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and other Metropolitan areas. Many areas are being revitalized. Water will always be an issue, but with our weather, it is still a Mecca for many.
water was a big issue growing up there in the 70s. never doubted that it would be a problem solved. as for areas, isn't hollywood revitalized? i loved living in the seedy hollywood of the mid-80s, though.

You wuld probably not recognize Hollywood today, 2wins. It has many new buildings, is a hotbed of new clubs and restaurants, and even a walk down Hollywood boulevard lacks the odor of old.
what! shocked you mean to tell me that hollywood doesn't smell like stale piss anymore? sheeeesh ....

#192804 - 09/01/11 06:08 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: 2wins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Sorry 2wins, more likely you will smell expensive perfume and cologne as the trendies stand in line to party. It has been a rather amazing transformation. But then, even Echo Park has joined the climb out of the depths, along with cities and communities across the 13 million person metro. Why this poor downtrodden city has even been judged as having the best public transit access for workers in the nation.

I guess it all depends on whether your mind is in a deep hole or trying to make things better.

#192806 - 09/01/11 06:48 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
echo park! oh, man. i remember when the bohemes called it home. i read about the transit recognition. i had to laugh out loud, remembering all the days i took the RTD downtown to school and to Bev hills to work. it could take up half of your day riding those buses.

#192807 - 09/01/11 06:50 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: issodhos

There are many places and things that look okay from the outside, while the rot is setting in and seen best by those on the inside, Checkers. This is one of those instances where the local has a much better grasp on what is going on and what the future may portend.

Yeah and you are not a local. I am, I have been and I have all the local connections too. I know LA better than you do, simple as that Iss.

UPDATE: City Journal is a NEW YORK BASED publication owned by the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research. (renamed in 1981 from the International Center for Economic Policy Studies)

Its ranking editors in chief include former CIA director William J. Casey and Sir Antony Fisher.
These are what you describe as locals? ROTFMOL

In addition, I take issue with the author's reference to AEG's Timothy Leiweke as "the most influential business leader".

Gimme a fuggin break, wouldja?
They own concert arenas and sports stadiums.
So what, who cares?

LA is at the forefront of several brand new industries, including commercial space ventures and alternative energy vehicles and LA has also recently managed to stem the tide of runaway production in the movie and TV industry, thanks in part to the very same libertarian policies which killed off the tax incentive spending that led to corruption charges being filed against dozens of city leaders across the country.

And if you want to talk about "killing Los Angeles" let's look at the role City Journal's parent company AEG might have played in the death of one of the city's top entertainers.

#192808 - 09/01/11 07:03 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
I love to go to LA. We go to attend Dodger games, Laker and King games at the Staples Center, concerts and Disney Consert Hal. The Music Center, Kodak and Nokia Theaters, The Pantages. I could not even name all of the clubs, the comedy places, and the street people on Hollywood Blvd, especially in fron to Grauman's Chinese Theater. Driving down Mullholland Drive or walking up and down Venice Beach and visiting the Santa Monica Pier. So much to see and do.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#192810 - 09/01/11 07:19 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Venice, Malibu and Santa Monica are my old stomping grounds.
My first edit studio was in the basement of The Morrison, twenty yards from The Venice Boardwalk, I lived at Sixth Street and Montana Avenue in Santa Monica and I worked with Hal Jepsen, the Malibu based surf filmmaker who captured all of the great surf and skate legends on film.

I don't need some Denver owned vapid right wing trade paper published out of London and New York by a top spy and his stiff upper lipped bootlicker to tell me how Los Angeles is doing.
I lived and worked there for eighteen years, I get out there four or five times a year now for work and I am moving back in about a year for keeps.

LA is doing fine.

#192811 - 09/01/11 08:18 PM Re: Lost Angeles [Re: issodhos]
Sandune Offline

Checkers, does the name Tommy Zahn ring a bell with you? He was the number one surfers in Santa Monica/Malibu area for as long as I can remember. He moved to Hilo and died a couple of years ago. Just having Tommy stop by and speak to me was one of the greatest experiences in my youth. Dave Rocklyn and Jim MacNamara were two more who were great surfers. Closer to my age was Courtney Brown who did a lot of work with Jeff Bridges tv series.

I was born on the corner of 5th and Montana 804 Fifth. I think the old house is still there but has been turned into a residence for elderly folks. I learned to read in a huge tree in the backyard where my grandfather built a tree house just for me. The back yard is now taken up with more rooms added to the main house.

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2