THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office. See #3 below.
Is this really at the core of the problem? What ever pension, medical benefits... all the governmental benefits of being a congress person or senator... that is the key thing?" that is the heart of the corruption... ? And what sort of tenure does a congressman have? Which tenure are we removing from them?
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
Maybe a good idea, maybe not, but again I ask is this the core of the problem... we are at point two and have we yet arrived at the core of the problem?
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
point three... and again I ask is this the core of the problem, does it have anything to do with cmapaign contributions and lobbying? THis is the core of the problem right here... congress person pensions?
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
Now we are at point 4, certainly we MUSDT have arrived at the core of the problem? When people complain abouut the corrupting influence of money in politics... it is congressional pay that they are talking about NOW I understand
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
Or is this the key to congressional corruption?
Boy, , there is no doubt these are some HARD HITTING POINT... clear up these issues and the country is safe at last! These points will at last get the money out of politics.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
Oh, what was I saying... Oh yes... this is the key to getting the corrupting influence of money out of politics. Thank God there is someone like this who kn ow how to save the republic.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
Thanks so much for posting this clear solution to the problem of money in politics.... I have no doubt that this will stop the lobbyists in their tracks. How it will do so, I am not sure... but something so utterly brilliant cannot fail.
Maybe Doug can Chime in on how it would have stopped all the activities he used to take part in when he was a lobbyist.
Certainty THIS is this death knell of lobbying in this country... they are quaking in their boots...
send it to twenty friends
save the country NOW.
End sarcastic rant
By the way, who on this forum is so ignorant as to believe that people run for federal office in order to get a fat government pay check and medical benefits and retirement?
who thinks that?
Who thinks people run for office because it is a cushy job with a fat government paycheck, and medical benefits and possible pension if they can stay there long enough?