by logtroll
07/26/17 09:15 PM
Trump Forum
by Ken Condon
07/26/17 07:43 PM
Public Option is the ONLY Option
by Greger
07/26/17 04:41 PM
John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard
by jgw
07/24/17 08:32 PM
Nero, the Execution of Peter and Paul, and the Biggest Fake News in Early Christ
by NW Ponderer
07/24/17 06:46 PM
Liev Schreiber Took His Son to Comic-Con Dressed as Harley Quinn
by Golem
07/24/17 05:18 PM
Bernie 2020
by pdx rick
07/24/17 03:35 PM
If anybody thinks Trump is doing nothing
by pondering_it_all
07/23/17 10:02 PM
Fear, Hysteria and Fake News in Homer, Alaska
by pondering_it_all
07/23/17 09:38 PM
Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications
by pondering_it_all
07/23/17 09:31 PM
What are the climate change deniers scared of?
by pondering_it_all
07/23/17 12:19 AM
Was That Racist?
by Greger
07/22/17 03:00 PM
Round Table for July 2017
by matthew
07/22/17 02:24 AM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15981 Topics
275852 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197403 - 10/18/11 06:18 PM The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
The Price of Power-Congressional Positions for Sale

Quote:
Under the new rules for the 2008 election cycle, the DCCC [Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee] asked rank-and-file members to contribute $125,000 in dues and to raise an additional $75,000 for the party. Subcommittee chairpersons must contribute $150,000 in dues and raise an additional $100,000. Members who sit on the most powerful committees … must contribute $200,000 and raise an additional $250,000. Subcommittee chairs on power committees and committee chairs of non-power committees must contribute $250,000 and raise $250,000. The five chairs of the power committees must contribute $500,000 and raise an additional $1 million. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, Majority Whip James Clyburn, and Democratic Caucus Chair Rahm Emanuel must contribute $800,000 and raise $2.5 million. The four Democrats who serve as part of the extended leadership must contribute $450,000 and raise $500,000, and the nine Chief Deputy Whips must contribute $300,000 and raise $500,000. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi must contribute a staggering $800,000 and raise an additional $25 million.

—Marian Currinder, Money in the House (2008)

And that was just the lead-in for the article. After you read it, Tell the Truth Did you know about this?

#197404 - 10/18/11 07:35 PM Re: Leadership 4 Sale to Highest Bidder [Re: itstarted]
Hekate Offline

I was aware this was occurring among the D's, but I hadn't seen a price list.

One of Yves Smith's concerns re: Elizabeth Warren is that she (EW) won't have any big financial/corporate backers, so she won't be able to purchase herself any sort of influential position, (ETA, should she beat Brown).

Edited by Hekate (10/18/11 07:37 PM)

#197407 - 10/18/11 09:06 PM Re: Leadership 4 Sale to Highest Bidder [Re: Hekate]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
Jeebus

#197418 - 10/18/11 11:17 PM Re: Leadership 4 Sale to Highest Bidder [Re: itstarted]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

I don;t even need to read the article. I didn't know about this. But I am trying to figure out if this is pay to get a chance to play or pay after you play. If the former, I am agin it, if the latter I am agin it but not as much.

#197425 - 10/19/11 12:17 AM Re: The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Quote:
And that was just the lead-in for the article. After you read it, Tell the Truth Did you know about this?

No, not the particulars, but it doesn't surprise me.

I think that this is on topic and relevant. George Ure offers some excellent suggestions to begin to address the problem:

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office. See #3 below.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.

#197426 - 10/19/11 12:21 AM Re: The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit [Re: Joe Keegan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Yup...
No doubt. Great ideas.
Did George offer other thoughts on how to go about implementing this? I did receive the email twice during the past week.

#197430 - 10/19/11 12:28 AM Re: Leadership 4 Sale to Highest Bidder [Re: Schlack]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Schlack
Jeebus

Uh... yeah

#197441 - 10/19/11 12:52 AM Re: The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: itstarted
Yup...
No doubt. Great ideas.
Did George offer other thoughts on how to go about implementing this? I did receive the email twice during the past week.

I don't know. I tossed them out for the sake of conversation. I don't think that it's fixable. The country's going down. I'm just grateful that I got to see what America once was. I wouldn't want to be graduating from high school or college nowadays. I sympathize with the students at OWS. The government forgave the bankers gambling losses, why not forgive the student loans?

#197447 - 10/19/11 01:17 AM Re: The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: itstarted
Yup...
No doubt. Great ideas.

We don't have a representative government. The prostitutes in CONgress represent the "Haves." The "Have Nots" are on their own, which I suspect that we'll find out before too long. The only way that we'll have any effective representation is to follow Switzerland's model and allow the "Have Nots" to vote- via "on-line"- on such issues as: do you want to bail out the "Too Big To Fail" or bomb bring democracy to some country (usually one with oil or some other resource).

Edited by Joe Keegan (10/19/11 01:21 AM)
Edit Reason: terminology

#197466 - 10/19/11 04:24 AM Re: The Price of Power: Congressional Leadership Posit [Re: Ardy]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
[
Quote:

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office. See #3 below.

Is this really at the core of the problem? What ever pension, medical benefits... all the governmental benefits of being a congress person or senator... that is the key thing?" that is the heart of the corruption... ? And what sort of tenure does a congressman have? Which tenure are we removing from them?

Quote:

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

Maybe a good idea, maybe not, but again I ask is this the core of the problem... we are at point two and have we yet arrived at the core of the problem?

Quote:

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

point three... and again I ask is this the core of the problem, does it have anything to do with cmapaign contributions and lobbying? THis is the core of the problem right here... congress person pensions?
Quote:

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

Now we are at point 4, certainly we MUSDT have arrived at the core of the problem? When people complain abouut the corrupting influence of money in politics... it is congressional pay that they are talking about NOW I understand
Quote:

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

Or is this the key to congressional corruption?

Boy, , there is no doubt these are some HARD HITTING POINT... clear up these issues and the country is safe at last! These points will at last get the money out of politics.
Quote:

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

Oh, what was I saying... Oh yes... this is the key to getting the corrupting influence of money out of politics. Thank God there is someone like this who kn ow how to save the republic.
Quote:

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.

Thanks so much for posting this clear solution to the problem of money in politics.... I have no doubt that this will stop the lobbyists in their tracks. How it will do so, I am not sure... but something so utterly brilliant cannot fail.

Maybe Doug can Chime in on how it would have stopped all the activities he used to take part in when he was a lobbyist.

Certainty THIS is this death knell of lobbying in this country... they are quaking in their boots...

Yes yes,
send it to twenty friends
save the country NOW.

End sarcastic rant
sick
Ardy

By the way, who on this forum is so ignorant as to believe that people run for federal office in order to get a fat government pay check and medical benefits and retirement?

Really,
hands please...
who thinks that?

Who thinks people run for office because it is a cushy job with a fat government paycheck, and medical benefits and possible pension if they can stay there long enough?

Edited by Ardy (10/19/11 04:26 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Greger), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2