by pondering_it_all
04/19/19 01:06 AM
The debate over what Julian Assange’s arrest means for freedom of the press
by Greger
04/18/19 04:29 PM
Justice is coming
by Greger
04/17/19 11:51 PM
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie the
by pondering_it_all
04/17/19 03:04 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by pondering_it_all
04/16/19 04:57 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by Golem
04/15/19 05:12 PM
What is Neoliberalism?
by chunkstyle
04/15/19 02:40 PM
freshman facts
by jgw
04/14/19 07:45 PM
You can help name the largest unnamed world in the solar system
by Greger
04/09/19 08:17 PM
Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award
by Golem
04/07/19 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16540 Topics
285407 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200413 - 11/17/11 12:30 AM Don't Conservatives Think America is Great?
SJGulitti Offline

I thought it was a standard line coming out of the right, that the "progressives" and liberals don't respect America's greatness, that they don't believe in American Exceptionalism and that conservatives do and they uphold that belief no matter what. You know, it's those weak kneed "progressives" who are always apologizing for something America did somewhere that hurt someone, conservatives would never do that! Well if that's the case, then why are some conservatives running a political action committee called "Make Us Great Again"? If we are already great then why would we have to reinvigorate our own existing greatness? Looking at it logically, if conservatives believed we were truly great wouldn't they call their PAC "Make America Greater"?

I don't know about you but I'm starting to think that some conservatives don't really believe that we are really that great so we need to do something in order to be great again. What I suspect is that they have a particular, if not peculiar version of "greatness" that most of the rest of us would find a lot less than great no matter how you measure greatness.

"Make Us Great Again" is in fact, a PAC set up to funnel unlimited amounts of money into the campaign of Rick Perry. Its Mission Statement is: "The mission of Make Us Great Again is to support Rick Perry for the Republican nomination for President in 2012, to oppose Barack Obama’s reelection, and to support Rick Perry in the general election in November 2012." Ah, now I see the logic, we'll elect as president a guy who can't remember what parts of government he wants to eliminate, who accuses Ben Bernanke of treason and who suggests that Texas could leave the Union and this guy will restore us to "greatness"!

Rick Perry is probably a really nice guy who believes in his heart of hearts that he knows what's best for America but I hardly find the road to renewed or enhanced American greatness on the pages of his playbook. Likewise I don't think I'd find a suitable substitute on too many of the playbooks of our conservative presidential contenders in the run up to 2012.

SJG

11/16/11

#200419 - 11/17/11 12:52 AM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
In that vein, I just got a recorded/interactive telephone call from Herman Cain who asks if I believe, like he does, that we live in the greatest nation in the world? (please say: yes, no, or repeat) Then tells me that he wants to "Make America Great Again" But if we both already believe it's great then what is he offering? When he told me he was going to return America to that "Great Shining City On The Hill" I hung up. I don't know where that city is but I don't want him sending me there.

#200450 - 11/17/11 02:02 AM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: Greger]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
the ad must to directed to people with a 6th grade education

#200472 - 11/17/11 07:39 AM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Of course it is, RP, it is geared to Republicans. But, you shoot too high by half. 4th grade, max.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#200478 - 11/17/11 12:29 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
It's interesting that you write that NW P, because Bill Maher on 11/15/11 The View said basically the same thing of Republicans while citing Elizabitch Hasselback as the example.

( NW P, are you a closet The View fan? )

#200496 - 11/17/11 03:09 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
Sandune Offline

Conservatives are working night and day to pass laws that are in line with the New Testament. Many White Christian men want our laws to reflect Jesus Christ only. They've tried everything else to shape the GOP into this mold. The more they try to instill this ridiculous attitude, the dumber they get. No thinking person could endure the bigotry that comes from the mouths of these fools. I would not insult my own children to follow the anger and racist crap coming from the Conservatives.

#200497 - 11/17/11 03:28 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: Sandune]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Hell, I've been under the impression that they were trying to adopt the Old Testament with the GOP playing GOD.

#200506 - 11/17/11 04:08 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: Greger]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: Greger
Hell, I've been under the impression that they were trying to adopt the Old Testament with the GOP playing GOD.

The GOP does not pretend to play God... but God does seem to regularly speak to them in order to convey his advice abut the political direction of the USA... one gets the impression that God is watching events down here unfold like his is some super sports fan watching a game and rooting for his favorite teams and players. God appears to be a celestial arm chair quarterback ( I hope that is he not putting on any weight from sitting around and watching our political machinations. I wonder which snacks he serves during the game... and who gets invited to attend the pre-game parties. DOes God do instant re-plays analyzing the strategies and execution of our various political contest.... do he and the angels do the wave?

Assuming that God parted the Red Sea, it does seem a bit peculiar that he has to sit around biting his nails wondering when we will get around to repealing Roe vs Wade.

Edited by Ardy (11/17/11 04:30 PM)

#200510 - 11/17/11 04:26 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
Sandune Offline

You haven't picked up your latest mail. The world is coming to an end and we all are supposed to go down on our knees and beg for forgiveness before it is too late. Apparently you have not read the latest "Left Behind" books. Every summer the Jesus camps open to make certain no child is left behind.

We might have had a chance at warning many of the voters had Reader Rant stayed at the peak numbers. I remember so clearly that group of women from Texas who sold their souls for Governor Bush of Texas. They were all members of the same Dallas Church and they were relentless trying to put him in the White House. The GOP will never again have such a loyal group. They all ran away about the time Doug came back. Those last weeks sounded more like a revival lecture series and convinced me more than ever to run like hell away from the GOP. CHB has outlasted many of the other forums. I think they folded when they could no longer excuse the actions of President Bush 43. We even had a member of Fox News here for a while although Rush managed to trap him on his own show. After the list was published on easily a dozen internet sites, I gave up as it was like trying to round up cats for a recording session. I understand that President Clinton had interest in the stories and forum from this site. We did have their interest but it didn't seem to improve the site.

Doug opened up the home page and that was a great idea. It is one of the first places I head for in the morning. There is too much to write about and not enough readers to make it work.

#200511 - 11/17/11 04:40 PM Re: Don't Conservatives Think America is Great? [Re: SJGulitti]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

America was the greatest country that's even been recorded in human history. America attracts the best and the brightest- it always has and always will, and those seeking a better life and opportunity. Something went wrong in the last 50 years. Let's bring America back! Many of the immigrants- both illegal and illegal- are more American than some of the crap that's here now. You have a problem with that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2