Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#201082 - 11/21/11 09:15 PM Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?

Meanwhile, back in the Heart of Darkness, a.k.a. the United States, a 70-year-old poet laureate and his wife are beaten by militarized Gestapo goons. Why do I think that there is something deeply symbolic about that?

Fmr. Poet Laureate Rbt. Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkeley

Quote:
It's not every day a former US Poet Laureate is clubbed by police for standing up. But that's what happened to Robert Hass at the OccupyCal demonstration last week....Hass writes about what drew him to the demonstration. It was pure, simple curiosity....
What happened next is pretty bizarre. His wife was talking to the police about nonviolence and why they should be home with their children instead of standing in front of her with billy clubs, when one of the cops shoved her in the chest and knocked her down. These people, remember, are not college students. Robert Hass is 70 years old....
"I tripped and almost fell over her trying to help her up, and at that moment the deputies in the cordon surged forward and, using their clubs as battering rams, began to hammer at the bodies of the line of students. It was stunning to see. They swung hard into their chests and bellies. Particularly shocking to me — it must be a generational reaction — was that they assaulted both the young men and the young women with the same indiscriminate force. If the students turned away, they pounded their ribs. If they turned further away to escape, they hit them on their spines.... I got whacked hard in the ribs twice and once across the forearm."

You can read more of what Laureate Hass wrote in the New York Times
The words, barbaric, uncivilized, hysterical, sociopathic spring to my mind---but then, that happens so often when I contemplate the USA.

Edited by numan (11/21/11 09:34 PM)

#201085 - 11/21/11 10:06 PM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: numan]
Mechanic Offline
journeyman

Perhaps the police have read his poetry ?

Maybe "Laureate Hass" hasn't - in his seventy years' life - learned to not stick his head into the gator's mouth; particularly if he's sweating !

Seriously, regardless of his personal attainments, Hass is just another protestor to the cops ! Once, before the "equality" meme was forged upon our social order, his age might have earned him some consideration. These days, NFW ! (Its the "equality", don't you know.) >Mech

#201089 - 11/21/11 10:22 PM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Mechanic]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Perhaps the police have read his poetry ?

That was so bad Mech - it was good. LOL

And Nu-a thought for Yu:

Quote:
Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others" (p. 1127).[2] The effect is about paradoxical defects in cognitive ability, both in oneself and as one compares oneself to others.

Link

#201091 - 11/21/11 10:33 PM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

I have a couple of questions:

Where were they? On a sidewalk? In the roadway? On private property?

Had the police issued any orders? If so, what were the orders and did the people who were "clubbed" respond positively, negatively, or passively to such orders?

#201119 - 11/22/11 02:57 AM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: numan]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
The Occupy Berkeley protests are happening right on the University of California campus in an open "square" area of the campus. No roadways, just one big open plaza.

#201127 - 11/22/11 04:09 AM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Mechanic]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Maybe "Laureate Hass" hasn't - in his seventy years' life - learned to not stick his head into the gator's mouth; particularly if he's sweating !

I don't think alligators sweat.

But, at any rate, there are laws by which police officers are supposed to abide. Using undue force is illegal and there are going to be a lot of lawsuits.

Would it be poetic justice if Hass sued and won?

#201129 - 11/22/11 04:24 AM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Greger]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
There is never ever a justification for police to use force to disperse people exercising their first amendment rights. It is all for the convenience of others. Blah

#201133 - 11/22/11 05:13 AM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:

I don't think alligators sweat.

But, at any rate, there are laws by which police officers are supposed to abide. Using undue force is illegal and there are going to be a lot of lawsuits.

Would it be poetic justice if Hass sued and won?

There's no rhyme or reason for what they did (though clubbing a poet is a novel way to get public attention). The cop shoulda been booked for not being well-versed in public relations.

#201145 - 11/22/11 01:14 PM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

"Would it be poetic justice if Hass sued and won?"

Do you think he stanza good chance?

#201146 - 11/22/11 01:18 PM Re: Poet Laureate Hass Clubbed by Police at UC Berkele [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
There is never ever a justification for police to use force to disperse people exercising their first amendment rights. It is all for the convenience of others. Blah

Posit:

You are in an ambulance being rushed to the hospital with a serious injury or illness. The ambulance is stopped on the Brooklyn Bridge because the protesters have blocked the roadway. Do you die happy knowing that their First Amendment rights have been upheld?

I must totally disagree with you on this one, Phil. NO ONE has a right to do things which bring possible harm to another. Your right to life (medical treatment specifically) trumps their right to free speech every time. Not some times. Every time.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2