6003 Members
55 Forums
14500 Topics
248994 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 ... 102 103 >
Topic Options
#203022 - 12/05/11 08:20 PM Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight?
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
Panko crusted, deep fried duck livers & cracklin's with home grown Broccoli.

paired with Relax Cool Red
red riesling.

Homemade white chocolate chip and walnut cookies for dessert!

#203025 - 12/05/11 08:27 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Well, after they clean the restrooms at school, sitting down to that nice looking dinner above looks good.

Oh wait! Poor people don't work . They have have no role models and don't know what work is. Never mind.

smile

#203028 - 12/05/11 08:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Rat on a stick...
Stir fried rat...
etc.
etc.

#203031 - 12/05/11 08:44 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Spamspamspamspspspam baked beans and spam

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#203033 - 12/05/11 08:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Greger Offline
veteran

Some folks throw away the livers and all that excess neck skin from a duck. Tonight I fried em' up.
From the neck and the rest of the giblets I made Vietnamese duck soup with cellophane noodles. With the drippings from the roast duck I'll make duck gravy and serve that with Mashed potatoes or biscuits,the meat picked off the carcass and the rest of the bones will go to make a little bit of stock for a creamy Duck and Broccoli soup.

#203034 - 12/05/11 08:58 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Duck livers, huh?

The spousal unit and I were at a Chinese restaurant recently, relaxing over a drink and some appetizers, when the waiter brought a large covered tureen and placed it on the table. As we chatted, the lid of the tureen popped up about half an inch and we could see two beady little black eyes looking at us. At first we thought someone had added something to our cocktails, but a couple of minutes later it happened again.

We called the waiter and told him to watch. Sure enough, it happened a third time. The waiter asked what we order, and I told him chicken surprise. He blinked, then said, "I think I made the mistake. This is a Peking duck."

#203036 - 12/05/11 09:03 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
As I recall, rendered duck fat is supposed to be a gourmet version of chicken fat: Used in recipes to add flavor and to spread on bagels and such. Probably pretty good just spread on fresh biscuits like butter.

#203037 - 12/05/11 09:15 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

My wife and I went to my company's holiday party on Saturday: Chart House right on the beach in Cardiff-by-the-sea. Starters were coconut shrimp, chicken skewers with peanut sauce dip, and bruschetta.

The bruschetta was so good, I tried making some myself last night: I had sourdough toast, very good hothouse tomatoes, fresh red onion, and fresh garlic, but only dried basil. I think it would be much better with more fresh basil and less onion. The onion pretty much drowned out everything else. I'll have to try it again with some pesto spread on the toast and just a bit of minced green onion.

#203043 - 12/05/11 11:13 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline
veteran

I've got two dozen sweet basil plants about a foot high, I'll soon be able to pick enough to make pesto. Good bruschetta is an art, and not one that I have mastered yet.
I just picked up a Depression Era cookbook and a Black American (Soulfood) Cookbook. I've already found the best bread pudding recipe ever in one of them.

#203046 - 12/06/11 02:52 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Greger
I just picked up a Depression Era cookbook and a Black American (Soulfood) Cookbook.
This Depression Era cookbook?

Indulge in Frugality

#203068 - 12/06/11 11:13 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Small sauteed chicken breast fillet, Italian wedding soup and a small salad. Zowie the Cocker Spaniel and Bobo the toy Poodle got the very last of the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers mixed in with their Science Diet canned food.

The cats, same thing they have every day, the only thing either of them will ever eat, Meow Mix.

Although Snowflake DID wander over to investigate the chicken fat and trimmings in the pan after dinner. But in the end, she just really wanted a few sniffs and a couple of laps. Then back to the Meow Mix. These are the first cats I've ever had that turn their nose up at people treats. Very strange!

---Benjamin Bratton

#203069 - 12/06/11 11:22 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Checkerboard Strangler
...Bobo the toy Poodle...

ROTFMOL

Hey Jeff, is Bobo a chick magnet for you at the dog park?

Quote:
Lady 1: Look at the ruggedly handsome man
Lady 2: Yes, but he has a toy poodle: Handsome, toy poddle.
Both ladies: Hairdresser!

#203115 - 12/06/11 08:50 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Uhhhh Rick, (A) I think that might be a gay thing.

But if it isn't I would not remember because this is the first tiny dog I've ever had but then there's (B) the fact that it's actually Karen's doggie, and SHE carries him around wherever she goes.

So I'm-a thinkin he might actually be a dude magnet, for HER.
She doesn't realize how much she gets checked out sometimes.
She might be on wheels but that doesn't seem to stop a lot of guys from taking a second or even third (or fourth) look.

But thanky for the flowers anyway, this ruggedly handsome man has now gained sixty pounds from sitting in the editor chair far more than I'd like to.

Bobo is actually quite a homebody. He is such a wuss.
He's afraid of EVERYTHING!! One time Karen crumpled up a piece of paper to throw it in the trash, damn pooch nearly had a heart attack ROTFMOL

"Bobo it's just a piece of paper!"
(dog is sitting there trembling in fear)

I think we got the runt of the litter, he has no intestinal fortitude, poor lil fella.

---Benjamin Bratton

#203116 - 12/06/11 08:51 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Zowie on the other hand is quite the social butterfly.
I could probably take HER to the doggie park and pick up a few strays.

But I don't Karen would be too thrilled at the idea tonbricks

---Benjamin Bratton

#203119 - 12/06/11 08:56 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

But anyway, this was our dinner tonight:

MEATLOAF:

No, not that,

but that's STILL MEATLOAF:

---Benjamin Bratton

#203121 - 12/06/11 09:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline
veteran

Open face roast duck and gravy sandwich. On homemade bread.

The cookie recipe on the Nestle's white chocolate chips is awesome!

#203122 - 12/06/11 09:05 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Mmmmmm, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and brown gravy. Or just meatloaf with catsup: That's some good eating, either way!

And I love a cold meatloaf slice on sourdough, with catsup & mayo, for lunch the next day.

#203123 - 12/06/11 09:08 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I didn't know Nestle's even made white chocolate chips!

That's very good news, since I love a good chocolate chip cookie but my stomache acts up when I eat the real thing.

#203125 - 12/06/11 09:16 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline
veteran

It's white chocolate chips and and walnuts or macadamia nuts. Poor folks use walnuts. The coconut doesn't add anything to the cookies. I recommend leaving it out. Unless someone in your household doesn't eat coconut, then by all means put it in so you don't have to share!

#203130 - 12/06/11 09:55 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
I'm not poor-just plain old middle class, but I had sesame soy chicken, snowpeas steamed with sliced mushrroms and water chestnuts, and fried rice. I had made extra rice the night before, and cooked this up in my wok. Mr. Scoutgal loves this type of dinner. ThumbsUp

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#203133 - 12/06/11 10:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Poor like me love Ramen Noodle.

Duck? Couldn't do it... we had four ducks at WH for 5 years... family ducks... Racoon picked them off one at a time,3 of the 4 in five days. Sad days. Now, Turkey buzzards... that's serious FL food.

Peking duck? ROTFMOL

BTW... the tomatoes in the first pic looked real... we haven't had a real tomato since August.

Dog... How'd the dog get in here? I can see fried cat, but not dog.

I only make one special dish... Turkey Soup (regular turkey)...
About 5 pounds of meat in two huge pots... and the whole neighborhood gets a share. Special ingredient... bouillon.

Today... our wonderful local Chinese Restaurant... elegant and with about 80 entree's. 40 desserts. Fresh Salmon, and almost all home cooked stuff... Mongolian Stir Fry, and great sushi.
Incredibly great food, AYCE but expensive... $5.76 and even more if you're not a senior.

I don't get a chance to talk recipes, but love to eat. Am a well know commonsewer of any food.

Greger... in FL, my favorite delicacy is gator balls. We had a catered cajun type dinner at our park that was great... the ladies wouldn't even look at the gator balls.

So much for this gastronome... Time for my cornflakes.

#203136 - 12/06/11 10:32 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Mmmmmm, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and brown gravy. Or just meatloaf with catsup: That's some good eating, either way!

And I love a cold meatloaf slice on sourdough, with catsup & mayo, for lunch the next day.

For potatoes we had Jeff's famous "American Fries".
No it's not some political thing. American Fries are just deep fried sliced potatoes, cooked till they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

---Benjamin Bratton

#203137 - 12/06/11 10:32 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

I didn't know Nestle's even made white chocolate chips!

That's very good news, since I love a good chocolate chip cookie but my stomache acts up when I eat the real thing.

Is your stomach racist or something? ROTFMOL

---Benjamin Bratton

#203169 - 12/07/11 10:54 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Q. Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight?

A. Hamburger Helper?

Probably not gourmet, or even good for you (chemicals), but this peasant thinks that it tastes good, especially with a vegetable (or two) on the side. I don't even read what's in it, because I don't want to know. However, if you're in a hurry or pushed for time, it's not bad. I usually eat fresh food and produce, and very little "processed" food, except flour and meat, but, if you're pressed for time and money, this stuff tastes good. They also have Hamburger Helper for tuna and chicken, which I've tried and they taste good. I don't know what Julia would say, but this peasant thinks that they taste pretty good.

#203174 - 12/07/11 11:53 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Joe, I've been known to eat plenty of garbage in my day as well. At Sav-A-Lot I just picked up a pack of 8 frozen beef and bean Chimichangas for $2.99. I've been working on a re-model and have been too tired to do much cooking at suppertime. I just turn on the fryer and in a few minutes supper is ready.
But that hamburger helper stuff, if you'll take the time to read the package you just might find that there is nothing in it you don't already have in your pantry at home. Except the oddball preservatives and chemicals and guar gum(ground guar beans) and modified corn starch which are both used as thickeners.
Have you ever made mashed potatoes and Hamburger gravy?
It used to be a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Sort of a depression era Hamburger helper. An onion, chopped, a pound of hamburger, browned with the onion, add a couple tablespoons flour and stir it in to deglaze the pan, then add water or stock while stirring to make it into gravy.
Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy. Also good with noodles.

#203199 - 12/07/11 03:10 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Originally Posted By: Checkerboard Strangler
For potatoes we had Jeff's famous "American Fries".
No it's not some political thing. American Fries are just deep fried sliced potatoes, cooked till they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

You should try Numan's personal "Canadian Fries"!
I use organic russet potatoes, well-washed, and leave the skins on. I cut them up so that they are somewhat thicker than regular french fries. I mix them with peanut oil so they are well-coated, lay them on a cookie-sheet, salt and pepper, and bake at 350Ί-400Ί Fahrenheit [Yes, I am ashamed to say that I use the crazy, antiquated measure in cooking---my one metric sin!]. Ten minutes on one side, take them out and turn them, five more minutes on the other side.

Not quite as good as gourmet french fries, but tasty, and a lot less fuss and muss.

#203208 - 12/07/11 04:12 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Greger, growing up, my grandmother and mother made gravy with the drippings of any meat they cooked. They kept a gallon jar and collected bacon greese for use as a flavor enhancer. My grandmother canned everything. I still remember laying in bed and night and hearing the click of the lid in the old mason jars.

One of my favorites was Sand Plum preserves. Sand Plums were a common wild plant in Oklahoma, and we ate them through the summer time.

Another favorite of those times was "Rat Cheese." My grandparents, like a lot of the poor we knew, received commodities, consisting of surplus cheddar cheese, dried milk (I used this for years and still shudder at the thought of the yellow lumps floating in a glass blue water), and butter.

#203215 - 12/07/11 04:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
Not quite as good as gourmet french fries, but tasty, and a lot less fuss and muss.

If you keep your fryer at the ready it is actually less fuss and muss as well as more energy efficient to fry. The oil will last for weeks if it's occasionally strained to remove impurities and never allowed to overheat.
But speaking of Gourmet Frog Eating Gun Dropper Fries. Emeril has this to say about The Perfect French Fry, there's a little more to it than just cutting the potato into batons and tossing them into hot oil. A little more trouble makes a world of difference.

#203218 - 12/07/11 04:47 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Greger Offline
veteran

Ozy, I render my own lard and keep it frozen for such times as I need it, primarily for pie crusts. I either use pan drippings for gravy with a meal or discard them. Duck fat is the one exception to that rule, not a drop of it ever goes to waste.
I think almost everyone kept that container of saved grease on hand back in the day when our parents remembered the Great Depression. My Ma used a coffee can, and used the grease from it for gravies and for frying. When it got full she threw it away. I use butter or olive oil normally to make a roux or even fry a few slices of bacon if I'm in a devil may care mood about healthy eating.

#203220 - 12/07/11 04:56 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I guess I'm just eccentric (to put it politely): I don't much like fries that have a soft mashed-potato-like center and light yellow skin. I think the best french fries (by far) are the ones that get penetrated by the hot oil and are crispy brown well into the center. Sort of like the crispy part of an order of hash browns.

It's rare to find a place that cooks them that way, and even rarer to find a place that does it consistantly. I suspect most of the time I do get them that way, it is because the cook was busy and left them in the deep fryer "too long".

#203221 - 12/07/11 05:03 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
Is your stomach racist or something?

Not a bit: Soul Food, Mexican, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and just about everything else is fine. Cocoa is my Kryptonite: I love chocolate (as dark as possible) but it gives me intense heartburn for several hours. I was taking Prilosec for about a year, but have found I don't ever need it if I just avoid anything containing cocoa. "White chocolate" seems fine, but of course it's not really chocolate. frown

#203222 - 12/07/11 05:05 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
Duck? Couldn't do it...

I lost a whole flock of chickens two years ago. But I didn't stop eating chicken. Wild duck breast is far superior to the Pekin Ducks we can get at the supermarket, but much more difficult to obtain. But still. one taste of my roast duck might change your mind about that.

Quote:
my favorite delicacy is gator balls.

These are nothing more than Conch Fritters made with gator tail and a few additional Cajun spices, I recommend a Remoulade dipping sauce. Have you had Bang Bang Shrimp at The Bonefish Grill? To die for! and only $5 bucks on Wednesday night.

#203226 - 12/07/11 05:15 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
"White chocolate" seems fine, but of course it's not really chocolate
Au contraire mon frer! White chocolate is made with cocoa butter. It doesn't get more real than that.

#203231 - 12/07/11 05:27 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

I guess I'm just eccentric (to put it politely): I don't much like fries that have a soft mashed-potato-like center and light yellow skin. I think the best french fries (by far) are the ones that get penetrated by the hot oil and are crispy brown well into the center. Sort of like the crispy part of an order of hash browns.

It's rare to find a place that cooks them that way, and even rarer to find a place that does it consistantly. I suspect most of the time I do get them that way, it is because the cook was busy and left them in the deep fryer "too long".

Five Guys Burgers. You haven't had a good burger and fries if you haven't gone to Five Guys. Darn. Maybe I should send that to them as a slogan. Luckily for me the closest is about 40 miles away or I would weigh 400 pounds.

#203237 - 12/07/11 05:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: churlpat lives

Five Guys Burgers. You haven't had a good burger and fries if you haven't gone to Five Guys. Darn. Maybe I should send that to them as a slogan. Luckily for me the closest is about 40 miles away or I would weigh 400 pounds.

We have a Five Guys Burgers just down the street from where I live. But it doesn't come close to In-N-Out! That place is always crowded and has the best burgers always made from fresh(never frozen) ingredients. And Five Guys costs about 3 times as much. I don't go to In-N-Out much either. For the same reason that you cite here, Churl! LOL

#203238 - 12/07/11 05:57 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

There is a Mom and Pop burger place near me that makes perfect french fries. thick cut, crispy on the outside soft on the inside, and you get a lot for the price. They have almost anything, from breakfast to dinner. Pretty cheap, and good, too. I love their patty melts, and you can even choose what kin d of cheese you like, too.

#203246 - 12/07/11 06:20 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Considering that french fries are such a simple, unprepossessing food, I wonder why they are so popular. Does it boil down to a simple, atavistic anthropoid delight in fat, carbohydrate and salt?

I imagine texture must be involved, too.

#203260 - 12/07/11 06:52 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Joe, I've been known to eat plenty of garbage in my day as well. At Sav-A-Lot I just picked up a pack of 8 frozen beef and bean Chimichangas for $2.99. I've been working on a re-model and have been too tired to do much cooking at suppertime. I just turn on the fryer and in a few minutes supper is ready.
But that hamburger helper stuff, if you'll take the time to read the package you just might find that there is nothing in it you don't already have in your pantry at home. Except the oddball preservatives and chemicals and guar gum(ground guar beans) and modified corn starch which are both used as thickeners.

It tastes good, and it's fast and easy when you're in a hurry. I hit the wall quite some time ago as far as fast food or junk food goes, but I was genuinely surprised how good HH tastes, especially when pushed for time. I just don't make a habit of using it more than once a week.
Have you ever made mashed potatoes and Hamburger gravy?It used to be a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Sort of a depression era Hamburger helper. An onion, chopped, a pound of hamburger, browned with the onion, add a couple tablespoons flour and stir it in to deglaze the pan, then add water or stock while stirring to make it into gravy.
Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy. Also good with noodles.
Yes, and just about any other kind that I got drippings from whatever I was roasting or frying. I'm also very fond of egg noodles and/or mashed potatoes, especially made with garlic and chicken broth. I suspect that food prices will skyrocket before too much longer, but- at least for now- you can eat reasonable good for not too much money. Sometimes for a late night snack, I boil some egg noodles in just enough chicken or beef broth to cook the noodles and absorb most of the liquid. I then add butter and/or soy sauce, and it just hits the spot. Hot pepper sauce also works well.

#203262 - 12/07/11 06:59 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: numan
'
Considering that french fries are such a simple, unprepossessing food, I wonder why they are so popular. Does it boil down to a simple, atavistic anthropoid delight in fat, carbohydrate and salt?

I imagine texture must be involved, too.

Numan~seriously, I think you're hypothesis is true! And I've cooked potatoes using your method, and it always comes out very well. In fact, it is my kids' favorite way to have their potatoes.

#203267 - 12/07/11 07:36 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

Fried eggs, yellow grits, pork jowl bacon and biscuits with butter and homemade peach preserves.
Sometimes breakfast for dinner hits the spot.
A cold front blew through today so I made Hot Cocoa for dessert. With Hershey's Special Dark dutched cocoa and fresh whipped cream.
Sorry, PIA, but there is a whole world of hot White Chocolate beverages you can experiment with if you miss this winter treat. My favorite of those has a shot of espresso in it which makes it more chocolaty without adding cocoa powder.

#206176 - 12/29/11 12:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

I'm not vegetarian. I like it with pork, although I suspect beef or chicken would do as well. Also, if you haven't used it, try basmati with it.

#206189 - 12/29/11 02:51 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Basmati is Indian Rice, Joe. The Thai folks use Jasmine, I kind of agree with you though.
These gals would need to step it up a notch in the Thai place I worked. neither knife or chuan skills are very impressive. I bet the rice is to die for though.

Thai Fried rice

2-3 tablespoons oil
small handful julienned onion
cook onion, stirring with chuan til it begins to burn slightly
1/2teaspoon of minced garlic (careful it spatters)
1 cup cut up chicken, pork, beef shrimp etc.
Cook and stir
crack in an egg and stir
add ground Thai Pepper(cayenne) to taste
toss in chopped tomatoes, bok choy, whatever veggies suit your fancy. stir
add rice, add a tablespoon sugar, add a ladle of stir fry sauce
stir until blended
taste
add soy sauce, red pepper, sugar, or vinegar to balance flavors
stir
scoop out onto plate, shake on black pepper generously and garnish with sliced scallions.

For Pineapple Fried rice add about 8 chunks of pineapple with the veggies and a little pineapple juice. garnish with more pineapple.

#206212 - 12/29/11 07:34 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Thanks for the recipe. I've never worked in a Thai restaurant, but I've eaten in a few. I realize that basmati is an Indian rice. I prefer basmati, which is why I suggested it. Besides Indian dishes, I serve it with my Mexican, Chinese, American dishes.

The lady is a street food vendor, much like the hot dog, pretzel, and other food vendors I once frequented years ago. I only wish that she had a cart next to one of them, because I would have enjoyed Thai food earlier. btw- is it just me or is it that you can't get a decent hot dog south of NYC?

#206218 - 12/29/11 07:55 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#206228 - 12/29/11 09:23 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
But Greger and I am sure you know this-it is important that the rice be cooked hours (or a day) prior, cooled or refrigerated, and then added to the mix.

Otherwise one runs the risk of a sticky or gooey rice clump.

#206230 - 12/29/11 09:29 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ken Condon]
Greger Offline
veteran

Thanks but no thanks Ken. Right out of the steamer, or whichever method you use is the best way to go. The rice gets glued together once it cools. Lumpy rice can be very frustrating when you are in a hurry. You've got to put down the chuan, grab a dinner fork and search through the fried rice for lumps. Customah no like lumps.

#206235 - 12/29/11 09:53 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ken Condon]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Ken Hill
Otherwise one runs the risk of a sticky or gooey rice clump.
Like what you find in kitty litter?

#206247 - 12/29/11 10:53 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

'
I never have any problem with sticky rice---unless, of course, I want some sticky, glutinous rice for some delectable Chinese dish. It is absurdly easy to have cooked rice in which each grain keeps itself to itself. I always buy rice in 10 or 20 kilogram bags, and merely spend a minute swirling water through it and thoroughly washing it until the rinse water is clear, and the rice free of any rice dust.

Being as patriotic an American as I am, I used consistently to buy California or Texas long-grain Patna rice -- until I read some articles about American rice being more polluted with toxic chemicals than the rice from those little, poorly regulated Asian countries.

I imagine it is from growing it in land that for decades was asphixiated with toxins used in the cultivation of cotton.

Anyway, the Constitution is not a suicide pact, so I switched to rice from healthier countries.

#206252 - 12/29/11 11:12 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

I picked up a bag of sweet rice this week. Also called glutinous rice. It's used mostly to make Sticky Rice, a Thai dessert dish served with mango and a rich coconut cream sauce. Black Sticky Rice is another more nutty tasting dessert.

#206271 - 12/30/11 08:10 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

How do you think that it would work in rice pudding?

#206284 - 12/30/11 12:34 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Sticky Rice is essentially "rice pudding" it's made with Coconut milk because Thai folks don't use dairy products. It's served with mango instead of raisins. I suspect that it would work very well with a typical western rice pudding recipe.

#206299 - 12/30/11 02:55 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I love rice pudding! That Thai recipe sounds really good. Greger~do you have a recipe for that?

#206305 - 12/30/11 03:52 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

Thai Sticky Rice

2 cups Thai sweet rice(glutinous rice)
1 can good coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh or frozen mango

In a microwave safe glass casserole. Cover rice with water and soak 10 minutes to half an hour. Drain off water until rice is barely covered, add 1/4 can of coconut milk. Cook covered in microwave on high for 10 minutes then let sit with lid on for ten more minutes.

In a saucepan warm the rest of the coconut milk, the salt and the brown sugar until brown sugar is melted.

Pour over rice, fluff with fork, serve with slices of fresh mango.

Alternately with frozen mango you can make a mango sauce with 2 cups of mango cubes, a can of coconut milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Bring this to a boil and add cornstarch mixed with water to thicken it.
Ladle this over servings of the sweetened Sticky rice

traditionally Sicky Rice is prepared in a straw hat in a spittoon. It looks like this:
Or it can be steamed in a muslin bag or a pillowcase. But the microwave beats the hell out of the traditional methods.

#206311 - 12/30/11 04:28 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Thank you, Greger!

#206334 - 12/30/11 08:13 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Greger, that looks really good. I like rice pudding, but only made it for myself once many years ago. I think it's time again. I'll try the sticky rice.

#207094 - 01/05/12 08:32 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Here's an interesting option for what the po' folks could be eating...

Free food

Seems like it might be an evil Collectivist thing, though. Hmm

#207099 - 01/05/12 09:46 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Now if someone can just show me how to grow cilantro successfully. Every year I plant it and it comes up bolting. So this year I am really really NOT going to try again. I just go to the grocery store and buy it when I need it.

Oh. Speaking of food, I've been meaning to post this:

I had an extra bag of cranberries in the fridge and wondered what to do with them. So I tossed them in a saucepan with a half or 3/4 cup of sugar, a finely cut up juice orange, and a big handful of diced pineapple. I cooked it until all the cranberries were popped open, let it cool, and tried to think of something to do with the concoction.

3.14159 + 2.7182818 = Pie

I prepared a pie crust, dotted it with Tbsp-sized globs of the concoction, and then poured around the globs a mixture of about a cup of sour cream, a cup of sugar, and 3-4 Tbsp of flour.

I didn't put a top crust on and baked the pie for 30 minutes at 375.

It was yummy. I had to use a spatula to fight off the kids until Peggy and I could have some for dessert.

You can try this with many fruits. I made one this AM that has strawberries all pointing upward out of the white filler, looks like little red mountains in the snow.

#207106 - 01/05/12 11:39 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Greger Offline
veteran

Just for what it's worth. Cranberries, like all other berries can simply be frozen. No special preparation, just toss 'em in the freezer. Unlike other berries though, the thawed cranberries are indistinguishable from fresh berries.
How do you make your crusts Churl? I do all butter but with an added 1/4 cup of freshly rendered lard.
I'd never considered a Cranberry pie, and don't really know if I'd make one. But adding a few cranberries to an apple pie might be interesting. I like my strawberry pies on a cookie crust.

#207107 - 01/05/12 11:42 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline
veteran

Logtroll,
I think the municipal vegetable gardens are an excellent idea. Grass and flowers as well as most other ornamental landscaping are a complete waste of good soil. City workers and planners should get busy on this. A time may come when it's important.

#207112 - 01/05/12 12:12 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Logtroll,
I think the municipal vegetable gardens are an excellent idea. Grass and flowers as well as most other ornamental landscaping are a complete waste of good soil. City workers and planners should get busy on this. A time may come when it's important.

Some of us in this high desert community (6000' elev, 15" annual rainfall) have been trying to get the town to do water harvesting using clever, but simple, stormwater runoff catchment techniques. Our rains often come in buckets but at wide temporal intervals. Our meager moisture is shed from the landscape from roofs and streets (with curbs and gutters, just to make sure it all leaves as quickly and efficiently as possible causing flooding and lots of erosion somewhere downstream). Meanwhile, we pay to pump water from deep underground up the hills to water sparse gardens (and friggin' lawns, if you can believe it).

Anyway, there are many small, dusty waste ground areas (including the yards of people who weren't as stupid as the lawn people) that could be irrigated by collecting water from roofs and letting runoff escape the streets through well-designed curb cuts, diverting it into rock mulched swales for deep percolation into the soil. Such places would make dandy neighborhood vegetable patches and reduce community water costs (coming and going) to boot!

The problem is in getting evil Collectivists to comprehend any issue that is more than 1mm deep, and in getting the Capitalists to allow anything to be free. And the Individualists are all a bunch of weirdos. Crikey!

Frankly, I don't know how we survive as a species. But I like to try to make the best of it when possible.

#207114 - 01/05/12 12:17 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

"How do you make your crusts Churl?"

blush I confess. I make a trip to the store and get the frozen ones. Thaw = prepare. coffee

#211283 - 01/31/12 02:22 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#211288 - 01/31/12 03:14 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Florida strawberries just came in to Aldi's. The best I've had in five years... ripe all the way through (red)... not like the white centers that taste like tofu. And $1.39 qt. even better.

Been thinking about best food... Turkey necks. Without a question. Out of the freshly cooked turkey.

Inexpensive?... How about shepherd's pie? Made with ground raccoon or possum.

#211336 - 02/01/12 07:29 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Yeah, ground raccoon is far preferable to the tree variety.

#211337 - 02/01/12 07:42 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: itstarted
Florida strawberries just came in to Aldi's. The best I've had in five years... ripe all the way through (red)... not like the white centers that taste like tofu. And $1.39 qt. even better.

Been thinking about best food... Turkey necks. Without a question. Out of the freshly cooked turkey.

Inexpensive?... How about shepherd's pie? Made with ground raccoon or possum.
Yes, if things get bad enough and there are always, unlike strawberries, seem to be enough of them around. During the last Great Depression, possum was a supplemental protein sources, and there is still a yearly festival honoring this noble critter for his contribution. I never had possum, but I hear that they're supposed to taste like chicken bacon. Squirrel is still popular in these parts, especially squirrel hash. Incidentally, turkey necks make a great turkey stock/broth.

#211343 - 02/01/12 09:00 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Thanks for the link... I went to the magazine that features the festival... Possum Festival Magazine
Delightful!... especially the advertisers... Kentucky Fried etc.

In Illinois, we celebrate a different animal... the Burgoo!
Held in Utica, Il on Columbus Day each year... about 7 miles from my home.

#211346 - 02/01/12 09:56 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Panko crusted, deep fried duck livers & cracklin's with home grown Broccoli.

paired with Relax Cool Red
red riesling.

Homemade white chocolate chip and walnut cookies for dessert!

that's a lot of dead ducks!!

#211356 - 02/01/12 11:04 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

I tried not to eat the duck livers but I was told if I didn't eat them it would be counted against me at state tax time. It took me a while to figure out the dead duck shuns were against me.

#211365 - 02/01/12 01:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Quote:
It took me a while to figure out the dead duck shuns were against me

#211399 - 02/01/12 06:23 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Gotta stop goin' to these eatin' sites...
leads to too much extra worry... Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

Quote:
They said that over the past 50 years, sugar consumption has tripled worldwide. That's also helped contribute to the obesity epidemic - so much so that there are 30 percent more obese people in this world than there are malnourished people.

Just like cigarettes and alcohol...

Ya think?

#211401 - 02/01/12 06:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight?

Romney: "I'm Not Concerned About the Very Poor"

Shut it greger, Romney dont give a f*ck

Link

Edited by Schlack (02/01/12 06:55 PM)
Edit Reason: linkydink

#211412 - 02/01/12 07:49 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

There must be a pork glut these days: My wife keeps buying spiral-cut hams at Costco, even though we have already polished off a couple over the last month. She says she can't resist because they are only 99 cents/pound.

#211425 - 02/01/12 09:08 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Enjoy it while it lasts. Prices have been really good around here on pork loin, Boston butt, pork roast, center cut chops, ribs, and ham. The price of beef, however, keeps rising. Incidentally, I had pork vindaloo for dinner.

#211438 - 02/01/12 10:22 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Mechanic Offline
journeyman

The "Poor Folks" are probably eatng better than my family, if today's visit to a new Walmart Super Store is any indicator ! We also noted selections in the grocery section seem biased toward Hispanic culture and whatever comprises "yuppie/yippie/youth tastes. Most unusual for this highly competitive market ! >Mech

#211443 - 02/01/12 11:01 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Mechanic]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Speaking of Walmart... Grocery Prices here are skyrocketing. We watch our food bill closely, and are finding that increases or reduced packaging/quantity/weight factors have added about 20% since October.

The fear that local merchants had when Walmart came in... that after Walmart owned the market, the prices would rise uncontrollably seems to be coming true. Our small town has lost two Major Markets (Jewel, Econofoods).

KMart, Target, Big Lots, The Dollar Tree, and even our Menard's and Rural King (like Lowes amd Tractor Supply) are selling food... but all at high prices.

What passes for Farmers' Market has prices beyond the reach of middle class. Lettuce @ $1.75/head, tomatoes @ $2.50/lb.,etc.
Organic be damned.

Even our local Aldi's and Sav a Lot prices have increased, but are still about 25% or more below Walmart.

Costco and Sams are too distant, and our quantity needs are less than offered anyway.

The strangest part is that no one seems to talk about these price increases.

Commodities and Energy... not subject to supply/demand.

Your thoughts on food prices?

#211471 - 02/02/12 10:55 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline
veteran

I've always assumed that food prices were directly related to energy prices. Diesel fuel, both on and off road, electricity to process and keep food fresh, fertilizer requires a huge amount of energy both in mining and synthesizing. And good old corporate price gouging is always a factor too.
When the peasants are down...kick 'em.

Blessed Imolc everyone! I've been working on the feast for three days now. We'll start with a cheeseboard featuring a Spanish Manchego made from sheep's milk, a couple of Irish cheeses and a few other nice sampling of imported and domestic artisan cheeses, Some rugelach filled with ground sunflower seeds and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Then a rich lamb stew with Irish soda bread, next a salad of Spring greens with a papaya chutney dressing.
The entree will be lambchops with a balsamic citrus reduction sauce, neeps and tatties and Brussels sprouts. Afterward home made ice cream pecan pie or chocolate lava cake. I've also made some butterscotch pudding just in case someone hasn't got room for a large dessert.
Then perhaps a glass of port, or whiskey.

Food prices be damned, a good feast is not to be skimped on.

#211475 - 02/02/12 11:13 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I made biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast yesterday. It turned out very tasty. Mr. Scoutgal ate about half(I made 8 biscuits-NOT Pillsbury), I had two left over, so this morning, I reheated them, and had them with homemade blueberry jam and butter.

#211501 - 02/02/12 02:07 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Do the neep and tatties donors complain? Ouch!

#211504 - 02/02/12 02:10 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Greger~Could you please post your butterscotch pudding recipe here? laugh

#211696 - 02/04/12 05:51 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#211704 - 02/04/12 08:53 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:

THat's Yellow Turnips(Rutabagas) and potatoes mashed together... rolleyes

Scout, I just grabbed a pudding recipe from google. The one by David Lebovitz looked the best but I wasn't sure about putting whiskey in it so I went with Joy of Baking
Paula Dean's Molten Lava Cake recipe is to die for and easy to make.

#213075 - 02/16/12 02:15 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Siannan Offline
journeyman

Loc: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Quote:

Scout, I just grabbed a pudding recipe from google. The one by David Lebovitz looked the best but I wasn't sure about putting whiskey in it so I went with Joy of Baking

Anything Paula makes is awesome. Her health is her business and she's always said to adjust her recipes for your own health needs.

#213083 - 02/16/12 03:05 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Siannan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Greger! ThumbsUp

#214501 - 02/29/12 02:36 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Annette Larkins looks much younger than her years Watch the video! Wow! I'm almost tempted to pull my stuffed peppers from the oven. Almost.

Edited by Joe Keegan (02/29/12 02:51 PM)

#214549 - 02/29/12 11:25 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Siannan]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
Originally Posted By: Siannan
Quote:

Anything Paula makes is awesome. Her health is her business and she's always said to adjust her recipes for your own health needs.

I agree. Southern people been making something similar for years. Did anybody in the known world ever, ever think that Southern food was not fattening? I wish they'd leave Paula alone. You know they aren't saying a damn thing about Mr. Robbins of Baskin and Robbins having diabetes. Who gives a damn? If in this day and age people don't know that Twinkies might not be something you want to eat every day then I don't think the rest of us should help them.

That does it. I'm jonesing for grits and cathead biscuits for breakfast in the morning.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#214550 - 03/01/12 12:11 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Greger Offline
veteran

If you want them grits really Southern Style you'd serve 'em over or under a couple of eggs fried over easy in bacon grease. As I recall though, Mick, you're a vegan so you just eat 'em "poor folks style" without no eggs nor bacon.

I've just about got a vegan ice cream recipe worked out for my daughter. She can't have eggs or dairy. I'm liking it better than real ice cream.

#214551 - 03/01/12 12:47 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Many moons ago, I stopped at a Waffle House outside Atlanta for breakfast. The waitress asked me if I wanted hash browns or grits with my eggs. "Grits, please!" I figured it was time to see what a grit looked like. Hey, sum-beach, I thought to myself when the waitress placed the plate in front of me, I've seen this before. Up north it's called polenta, and they charge you more for it. At any rate, I became a grits convert. I've had Hoover's Grits for breakfast the past two days. I use chicken broth instead of water and serve with butter.

#214554 - 03/01/12 05:08 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you want them grits really Southern Style you'd serve 'em over or under a couple of eggs fried over easy in bacon grease. As I recall though, Mick, you're a vegan so you just eat 'em "poor folks style" without no eggs nor bacon.

I've just about got a vegan ice cream recipe worked out for my daughter. She can't have eggs or dairy. I'm liking it better than real ice cream.

Greger. I gave up vegan and am now Paleo. I missed meat so much I would lick meat packages at the store, this weekend I making Pig Candy with thick bacon.

Vegan ice cream? Soy or coconut base?

#214555 - 03/01/12 05:12 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Joe Keegan
Many moons ago, I stopped at a Waffle House outside Atlanta for breakfast. The waitress asked me if I wanted hash browns or grits with my eggs. "Grits, please!" I figured it was time to see what a grit looked like. Hey, sum-beach, I thought to myself when the waitress placed the plate in front of me, I've seen this before. Up north it's called polenta, and they charge you more for it. At any rate, I became a grits convert. I've had Hoover's Grits for breakfast the past two days. I use chicken broth instead of water and serve with butter.

We will convert the world, one grit at a time. I'm glad you like it Joe. It's damn good isn't it. Cheese grits are also fantastic. Shrimp and grits are the staff of life.

#214558 - 03/01/12 07:59 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Every other Sunday morning I drive to Asheville to donate platelets and plasma at the Red Cross and I started going to Waffle House for breakfast, because I loved their waffles and their grits. Then early one morning I watched as one of the cooks prepared a big batch of grits. It was perhaps a gallon in size, and he put a whole pound of butter in it!

So I stopped eating the grits as often. Then one day I was chatting with the people there and they mentioned they were out of half-and-half, and it was going to be a real problem. I asked why. Did you know that they make their regular waffles by mixing the dry waffle mixture with half-and-half?

So I switched to eating buttermilk waffles.

Then they took the buttermilk waffles off the menu.

Now when I go to Asheville I stop at Denny's where they have a senior fit omelet, egg whites, a small amount of cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach, served alongside a bowl of fruit and a bowl of oatmeal.

#214561 - 03/01/12 09:37 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:

Vegan ice cream? Soy or coconut base?

Coconut and almond milk, with a banana added.
I'm getting some ice crystals in it though and need to up the fat content I think, either by reduction of the liquid and/or emulsifying almond butter or coconut oil into it.

I want to make a sugar free version for myself and will probably just add some high quality butter to mine.

Ted-There is no reason to add that much butter to grits. They probably do that in the restaurant to keep it from hardening. Normally it's cooked with no butter at all then served with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper. Or with a fried egg or two...all mashed together with your fork.

#214576 - 03/01/12 10:27 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Not sure if I can honestly compare grits to polenta...!
I'm Italian and hail from the East Coast and now that I am in Texas I know what grits are.
The similarity stops abruptly just after the time you finish soaking them in water!

---Benjamin Bratton

#214634 - 03/01/12 02:43 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Italian Grits What part of Italy is your family from? I grew up in a predominantly Italian area where most were from the south or either Sicily. I was made an honorary Italian around 4th or 5th grade. However, there were some Italians from the north- we called them Germans. Polenta wasn't as popular a menu item as pasta or pizza, but was available. The Italian food was great! The Greek, Polish, Jewish, German, Hungarian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. wasn't too bad, either. Talk about a melting pot- and it tasted good. I really enjoyed those Italian Church festivals. The sausage and pepper sandwiches, grinders, hoagies, submarines, heroes, etc. Close to heaven as I'll get.

The only appreciable difference that I noticed between polenta and grits is that polenta is ground finer and costs more. Grits with chili is also mighty fine.

#219231 - 04/07/12 08:49 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#219273 - 04/07/12 11:42 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington
Every other Sunday morning I drive to Asheville to donate platelets and plasma at the Red Cross and I started going to Waffle House for breakfast, because I loved their waffles and their grits. Then early one morning I watched as one of the cooks prepared a big batch of grits. It was perhaps a gallon in size, and he put a whole pound of butter in it!

So I stopped eating the grits as often. Then one day I was chatting with the people there and they mentioned they were out of half-and-half, and it was going to be a real problem. I asked why. Did you know that they make their regular waffles by mixing the dry waffle mixture with half-and-half?

So I switched to eating buttermilk waffles.

Then they took the buttermilk waffles off the menu.

Now when I go to Asheville I stop at Denny's where they have a senior fit omelet, egg whites, a small amount of cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach, served alongside a bowl of fruit and a bowl of oatmeal.

Ted Remington. I only stop in every now and again at RR (I used to be around regular) and I can't remember what your "first" name was before you disclosed your real name.
Doesn't matter really...
But I have to say. What? You're going to Asheville and eating at Waffle House and Dennys? Cripe, man. Why?
This is a good eating place. Try Early Girl and several other places. Stone ground grits. Locally grown stuff with no additives. Good stuff.
Chains thrive on fat and grease and whatever.
Asheville is not a place to eat at a chain. That shocks me.

I can nearly promise you that the "healthy" eating at Denny's isn't really.
But then. I'm cynical and believe in eating locally grown organic and know what's in it.
Denny's healthy? Probably not.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#219286 - 04/08/12 10:23 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Note to self. Send olyve and email off line to let her know someone has hacked her RR account and is posting in her name. Can't really be her. Although it does have that crazy, warped healthy eating "meme" about it . . .
Hmmm.

Oh, dang it! Just dumped my biscuits and gravy all over my keyboard! Dadgum bib mounted food tray they sold me at Denny's broke again!

#219295 - 04/08/12 12:08 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

olyve, if you want a good horseradish (other than grating your own), try FARMERS. It's genuinely good. They have a tamed down moderate version that is absolutely delicious. Perfect topping for a hard boiled egg. They also have the hot stuff, too, which I suspect will not only clear your nasal cavities, but also your frontal lobes. The local PIG carries it, so I suspect you can get it, too.

#219330 - 04/08/12 02:16 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Olyve:

I agree wholeheartedly. But since I am retired the only time I can go to Asheville regularly for blood donations is early on Sunday mornings. NOTHING is open except the chains. Early Girl, which I like, opens at 9. Perhaps I will work to change my appt time to 11, but those slots are usually always filled by people with more "seniority" than I have. And I am currently standing at 83.5 gallons donated!

Every other day of the week I have to clean, cook, ride herd on two teenagers with ADHD, do the yard work, do the laundry, etc. Being retired is hard work!

But you did open my eyes, m'dear. As my M-I-L says, nothing beats a try like a failure. I've just been going with the flow, perhaps it's time to change the direction.

Thanks.

#219374 - 04/08/12 06:46 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: loganrbt]
olyve Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: loganrbt
Oh, dang it! Just dumped my biscuits and gravy all over my keyboard! Dadgum bib mounted food tray they sold me at Denny's broke again!
Logan, you doddering old fool! LOL

Yes tis me! I just missed you so!!

Originally Posted By: loganrbt
Can't really be her. Although it does have that crazy, warped healthy eating "meme" about it . . .
Hmmm.
nono

But he's right, Ted. I do have a bit of a health thing going. I guess I have to start calling myself a "senior" too now that I'm in my 60s. I hate it though! That word I mean. I am glad to still be here.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, Ted. I just love Asheville and as I do here at home, I also really believe in shopping and eating locally. We have a wealth of good healthy eating options where I live too.
I do see your point and it sounds like you chose the right option considering the slimness of your options early on a Sunday morning. You'd be dealing with the tourist crowds too on a weekend.
I live about 3 1/2 hours south of you in Athens, Ga, a neat place too and we come to Asheville about twice a year to concerts generally. We stay at the Downtown Inn and walk everywhere we go.

Logan, as you well know, I am underinsured (though Affordable Care Act made that better....soon to go away of course) so at my age it is important to eat healthy and stay healthy! Government doesn't like people my age!

And I am currently standing at 83.5 gallons donated!
Bow

Every other day of the week I have to clean, cook, ride herd on two teenagers with ADHD, do the yard work, do the laundry, etc. Being retired is hard work!
I'm semi retired. Yes it is!

Sorry for the off topics, mods.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#219380 - 04/08/12 07:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline
veteran

It's just good to see you pass through Olyve, and you can go off topic all you want in a thread like this.

My Easter Dinner was Saturday night. Friday night at midnight I put a fresh 12 pound picnic ham in the oven at 200 degrees. It had a dry rub made up mostly of brown sugar with paprika and a variety of herbs and spices. It cooked all night long and most of the day. At 3:30 Saturday afternoon I turned oven down to 140 degrees, wrapped it in foil, and put it back in the oven until 8 that evening when it was time to "carve" it.
We started the meal with a salad from my garden, the appetizer was grilled portabello mushrooms, then seared Ahi tuna with thin slices of raw tuna. The principal course was the pulled pork with potatoes and green beans from my garden.
We finished with home made ice cream.

#219398 - 04/08/12 10:08 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Wow... Hi Olyve...Missed you a lot...Y'all come back and see us heah? New guys... She's the sweetest and nicest and adds that kind of gentility to our sometimes rough edge chats.

Now on to Easter Ham... Greger... you ain'ta gonna like me...
9 lb, smoked butt. Oven @325degrees for 2 hours... then out and slobbered with Aldi's lite pancake syrup and fresh pineapple slices. Back into the oven uncovered for another 1/2 hour... Sliced then poured the syrup overflow on the slices.

I am the local HERO!!! (sadly the only spices we have are lemon pepper and beef boullion (if that's a spice?).

Perhaps next time I'll try Ham ala Gregoire! smile

PS... fresh veggies coming up if the dandelions cooperate.

#219411 - 04/09/12 12:12 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

We had our traditional Easter ham dinner, with homemade mac and cheese, tri-tip, au gratin potatoes, corn, green beans and rolls. We had birthday cake for dessert, because it was also my MIL's birthday. The mac and cheese is from an old southern cookbook that I had lying around, and had given to my daughter. I do not like mac and cheese. I did take one bite, because she worked so hard on it. It was a lovely holiday, with almost all of my family, so I am a happy camper. grin

#219414 - 04/09/12 12:33 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Quote:
so I am a happy camper.

and that's why we luv ya!

#219416 - 04/09/12 12:49 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: itstarted]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: itstarted
Quote:
so I am a happy camper.

and that's why we luv ya!

Awwww-thanks, Cousin It!

#219440 - 04/09/12 05:41 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: olyve
But he's right, Ted. I do have a bit of a health thing going. I guess I have to start calling myself a "senior" too now that I'm in my 60s. I hate it though! That word I mean. I am glad to still be here.
Remember when 30 seemed old?

#219459 - 04/09/12 10:23 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Oh Gosh, shucks, It. Thanks for the kind words. *blush*
Sounding a bit suthern your own self these days. Handing around some of them in Florida, are you?

LOL. Joe, yes! I can (barely) remember when 30 was old. Sigh....
Strange itnit?
That said, 60 has really thrown me for a loop. Wow.
Like I said, I'm glad to be here but daummmmm.

Btw, thanks for the tip on that horseradish, I forgot to say. I think we DO still have a Piggly around here somewhere. I'll check it out. I love horseradish.

Y'all's Eastern dinners sound yummy!
I didn't need to find out ham has pink slime in it though. Ugh. No wonder I have a hard time eating meat anymore!

What are poor people eating?
Cheap American food that is full of fat, sugar and salt.
Beans and rice and yes grits would be good without all the "enhanced" taste. We need to relearn how to eat the plain basic stuff.

#219470 - 04/09/12 11:32 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

LOL. Joe, yes! I can (barely) remember when 30 was old. Sigh....
Strange itnit?
That said, 60 has really thrown me for a loop. Wow.
Like I said, I'm glad to be here but daummmmm.
olyve, there are two ages: You're either too young or too old.

Btw, thanks for the tip on that horseradish, I forgot to say. I think we DO still have a Piggly around here somewhere. I'll check it out. I love horseradish.
I love horseradish, too. This stuff is good. I doubt that just Piggly Wiggly carries it. Check around. I'm sure that your market can order it. It's good.

What are poor people eating?
Hamburger Helper.

#219498 - 04/09/12 05:53 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Hamburger Helper.

Shudder!

#219499 - 04/09/12 06:11 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Not to be mixing threads but, have you ever tried Hamburger Helper with pink slime? Mmm, mmm, good!

#219502 - 04/09/12 06:47 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Or, squirrel? Hmmmmmm, squirrel...

#219542 - 04/10/12 12:19 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Squirrel is pretty tough. It's best used to make a broth for soup or stew. It should be slowly simmered with root vegetables and herbs. The meat can then be stripped from the bones minced and used to make "Squirrel Helper" with some of the broth, or better yet, Squirrel Gravy to serve over sweet potatoes.

#219562 - 04/10/12 02:49 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Squirrel hash is the featured dish in these parts. A number of these good ol' boys grew up hunting, including squirrels. If they didn't get that squirrel, no lunch. There are a lot of very good shots around here.

#219582 - 04/10/12 03:55 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I recall reading about some folks in the hinterlands mixing squirrel brains with their scrambled eggs. Apparently tasty, but unfortunately for them, squirrels have a high infestation rate with a prion like Mad Cow Disease and you can't destroy its infectivity by cooking.

Several victims ingested such whopping doses, they succumbed within months.

#219609 - 04/10/12 09:00 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

My grandma hunted for most of their meat when they lived in the rural areas of the south. Squirrel was on the menu often. My grandma could "bark" a squirrel, and after she caught a few, she would make them into a stew. My mother liked squirrel stew. I have never partaken, and after PIA's post I will never. crazy

#219624 - 04/10/12 10:26 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
olyve Offline
veteran

Wow. I have to say eating squirrel in the south is new to me. (please tell me you're teasing Greger)
Your grandmother hunted their meat? Gosh, Scout, you're a good ten years younger me (maybe more?). Where did they live?
Still....coon, possum....I've heard stories about them and eating in the south but figgered that was before my time.
Uck.

I cannot imagine killing and eating Elmer, my squirrel who thinks he can out smart me at the bird feeder.

Really? Squirrel?
Ugh.
That's just awful.

#219628 - 04/10/12 11:05 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline
veteran

Olyve, I've eaten squirrel and it's okay. 'Possum and coon are soul food classics but I've never tried either. I've had armadillo on several occasions and a variety of wild fowl.
Wild duck breast is one of the most incredibly delicious things I've ever eaten and the best steak I ever ate was venison.
I never heard of eating squirrel brains, but canned pork brains used to be available and the are quite good with scrambled eggs. I'm not sure whether they are still available though and I have it from a good source that the local slaughterhouse is no longer allowed to sell pig heads to brain eaters.

#219629 - 04/10/12 11:09 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

How about road kill?

#219630 - 04/10/12 11:16 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Wausau Possum Festival Annual tribute to the critter that was one of the main protein sources during the Great Depression.

#219631 - 04/10/12 11:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
How about road kill?

I roasted a 60 pound road kill pig once...

#219632 - 04/10/12 11:44 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Did you find it or hit it? Roadkill Bill

#219645 - 04/11/12 07:58 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

I et beaver oncet. More specifistically, I et tail.

(Castor canadensis)

#219646 - 04/11/12 08:15 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
Did you find it or hit it?
My neighbor hit it on the way home and brought it to me...
Wild Turkeys often cross the road in front of me out here. I've been trying to hit one for years but no luck yet.

#219694 - 04/11/12 10:14 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
olyve Offline
veteran

Well ok.
After this last little bit of conversation took place I had my chipmunk, my squirrel(s?), and finally my (apparently now resident) possum show up, very cutely I might add, to my bird feeders.
You'd have to come through me to get to them to kill.

But that said, if you're going to eat meat, at the end of the day what's the difference if it's a cute one you see often or just an old scrounger?
Or a cow or pig that has been groomed for the kill?

I didn't plan not eating meat. It (and ALL THE PINK SLIME!! Lack of regulations.....keeping it clean and....healthy) just happened.
Ya know?

I was just about to post that when I stopped and thought.
No. For me, as I age, I just don't want to kill something to eat just to give me pleasure.
I would like to think somebody wouldn't do that to me.

#219700 - 04/11/12 11:10 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline
veteran

Poor folks will eat just about anything, Olyve. We are all fortunate that we don't need to go to those extremes to stay fed. Just because you don't think of a carrot as cute and cuddly doesn't mean it isn't a living thing. I just don't draw any lines between animals and vegetables when it comes to taking a life to feed myself. wink

#219702 - 04/11/12 11:55 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:

Tain’t right log. I mean--what about them starvin folk?

#219708 - 04/12/12 02:06 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: logtroll

(Castor canadensis)

ROTFMOL

#219709 - 04/12/12 02:19 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Olyve~My grandma had my mother later in age. She was the 7th out of 9 kids. They lived in Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Missouri before moving to the Central Valley of California. They were migrant workers. Grandma hunted meat, because she couldn't afford to buy meat. She only had a buckboard for transportation until around 1950. Never had indoor plumbing(my mother and grandmother) until they came to California. I cannot imagine living that way. I never did. I never ate squirrel, chipmunk, oppossum, bear or coon. Only fish, poultry, beef, pork, lamb and veal. My mom had eaten oppossum, but didn't care for it. She did, however, love pickled pigs' feet-I thought they were gross!

She also used to take leftover cornbread, crumble it up into a tall glass with chopped green onion and pour buttermilk over it. Yuck!

#219740 - 04/12/12 11:27 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

I tried to learn to like buttermilk....The acidity that makes buttermilk so useful in baking and tenderizing meat also unfortunately makes it unpalatable for most modern Americans.
I could probably make it through a glass of cornbread onions and buttermilk(with salt and pepper) but my opinion of buttermilk wouldn't change.

#219743 - 04/12/12 12:00 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
olyve Offline
veteran

That was one of my mother's favorite snacks....cornbread and buttermilk!
She was a city girl (Atlanta) though she sure knew some poverty. I'm not sure she ate much chittlins and things like that but they did exist on beans, greens and cornbread. Not much meat. Occasionally fried chicken legs.
My father was born on a farm in Kansas so grew their own meat.
My grandmother btw was one of 20 kids.

I duuno even I can relate to some of the stuff you're talking about, Scout so point well taken. When I was a little girl we tried living in Kansas and farming for a short time. We had no indoor bathroom and the telephone was one of those crank style party line things.
But it was also the time of the beginnings of fast cheap convenient foods and when we moved back to Atlanta that is a lot of what we ate. Boxed mac cheese, frozen fried shrimp, pork and beans.

#219746 - 04/12/12 12:34 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline
veteran

Olyve, I think we grew up during the age of mediocrity.
Those post war years when cheap white bread replaced home made, when canned beans replaced homegrown and the TV Dinner was invented. During those years America lost touch with where food came from and lost the (unpleasant) knack for wringing a chicken's neck, cleaning a fish, or slaughtering a hog.
We became squeamish about food and taught our children to be even more squeamish. Far too many have learned to live only on packaged and processed food and are completely removed from the actual preparation of food as our grandparents knew it.

#219753 - 04/12/12 01:17 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

'
"The Age of Mediocrity," eh?

A friend of mine calls it the "Age of Great Stupidity," and I think he is right -- and, IMO, it is getting stupider and more brainwashed all the time,

I would like to think that people are getting more sensible about what they shove into their mouths, but I am not hopeful -- people are so easily stampeded into one fad or another by the Brainwashing Machine.
Never has it been more true :

"You dig your grave with your teeth."

#219756 - 04/12/12 01:27 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

You got it. I wouldn't be too surprised that in the future if country folk mounted cow catchers on their pickups to "bag" a deer or two on their way home from church.

#219757 - 04/12/12 01:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

If you haven't already seen it, you may want to check out Idiocracy ,the movie. My friends (all two of them) were aghast that I liked it. Granted, that you might get a headache from watching it, but....

#219780 - 04/12/12 06:18 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Olyve, I've eaten squirrel and it's okay. 'Possum and coon are soul food classics but I've never tried either. I've had armadillo on several occasions and a variety of wild fowl.
Wild duck breast is one of the most incredibly delicious things I've ever eaten and the best steak I ever ate was venison.
I never heard of eating squirrel brains, but canned pork brains used to be available and the are quite good with scrambled eggs. I'm not sure whether they are still available though and I have it from a good source that the local slaughterhouse is no longer allowed to sell pig heads to brain eaters.

You will be happy to learn that three ounces of pig brains contain 2,169 mg, or 723% of the recommended daily allowance for cholesterol, according to this.

#219783 - 04/12/12 06:33 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Greger Offline
veteran

!

But it has 0 carbs...;)

#219784 - 04/12/12 06:36 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Just like all my cars except the 29 MB.

#219827 - 04/13/12 12:28 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Bored Member Offline
stranger

You will be happy to learn that three ounces of pig brains contain 2,169 mg, or 723% of the recommended daily allowance for cholesterol, according to this.

Voy a tomar 3 tacos con sesos por favor....

#221126 - 04/28/12 11:32 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Bored Member]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Anyone have a favorite method for freezing/preserving basil? I attempt to stagger the planting, but still have more than I can use. I'd appreciate a method that you use, i.e. if you grow basil and preserve some by freezing it. Thanks.

#221156 - 04/28/12 02:27 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Hi Joe,
I always get too much basil too.
I chop it and freeze it in ice cube trays covered with a few drops of water.
I always use water but a friend suggested that olive oil (*grin*) would work well too.
After it's solid store the cubes in freezer bags.

I've already planted new stuff for this year but have a few cubes left in the freezer too.
Works great!

#221157 - 04/28/12 02:30 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

I make Pesto with it, Joe. I just refrigerate it but there's no reason not to freeze the Pesto. What variety do you grow?

#221158 - 04/28/12 02:37 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
a friend suggested that olive oil (*grin*) would work well too.

Chopped basil and olive oil is the beginning of pesto...

#221173 - 04/28/12 04:36 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

The method I have used for a long time is to chop the basil, mix with some e. v. olive oil, and put into small freezer bags, just enough so you can press the bag and contents to about 1/2 inch thickness. Pop in freezer and break off what you need from the bag.

I've also frozen fully loaded pesto this way, but then you are limited a bit in what you can do with it. Perhaps with the basil crop I have coming in this year I will do it both ways.

#221200 - 04/29/12 01:20 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Hi Joe,
I always get too much basil too.
I chop it and freeze it in ice cube trays covered with a few drops of water.
I always use water but a friend suggested that olive oil (*grin*) would work well too.

I've already planted new stuff for this year but have a few cubes left in the freezer too.
Works great!
olyve, thanks. I love basil, but you really can get too much of a good thing. I going to try freezing some of it in ice cube trays, popping it out of the trays when frozen, and storing the cubes in a freezer bag in the freezer. Some other I'll chop, mix with olive oil, and store in freezer bags. And the rest, I'll just freeze the leaves whole and store in freezer bags. I read that the olive oil coating keeps the basil from getting dark, which will happen if you just freeze the leaves. I'll find out.

I also like and grow parsley. Nothing fancy. Just a few containers. I pinch off the leaves as needed. I've had some plants last 2 years and more. Fresh parsley when needed.

#221201 - 04/29/12 01:28 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

I make Pesto with it, Joe. I just refrigerate it but there's no reason not to freeze the Pesto. What variety do you grow?
I grow Genovese basil. I used to grow up to three varieties at the same time, but I keep coming back to sweet basil, although I'm willing to try a variety that you recommend.

I like pesto, too. I've never frozen it before, but I'll give it a try. I recently took about two cups of basil leaves, chopped it, and added it to my fresh tomato (6 lbs. Roma, 1 28 oz. can crushed, and about 8 oz. left over tomato puree)clam sauce. It really smoothed out the sauce, which was delicious even though I use the canned clams.

#221202 - 04/29/12 01:30 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

The method I have used for a long time is to chop the basil, mix with some e. v. olive oil, and put into small freezer bags, just enough so you can press the bag and contents to about 1/2 inch thickness. Pop in freezer and break off what you need from the bag.

I've also frozen fully loaded pesto this way, but then you are limited a bit in what you can do with it. Perhaps with the basil crop I have coming in this year I will do it both ways.
Thanks. You use the one pint size bags? Does that basil break off easily?

#221208 - 04/29/12 09:30 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

I've always grown sweet basil. I have 2 dozen smallish plants right now. I've seen some "Pesto Basil" in the stores. I'm really fond of Thai Basil but haven't got my hands on any seeds yet but I'll probably stick with Sweet Basil since it does everything I want it to do.

#221245 - 04/29/12 04:16 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Joe Keegan

Thanks. You use the one pint size bags? Does that basil break off easily?

It breaks off very easily if the stuff in the bag is flattened out. In fact, olive oil doesn't really freeze solid, at least not in my freezer.

#221301 - 04/29/12 11:25 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Ted Remington]
olyve Offline
veteran

I like that idea a lot, Ted.
I do my roasted red peppers like that...flatten it and break it off as needed (not in oil though).
I'll probably do basil both ways this year.
Thanks!

#221304 - 04/29/12 11:37 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Olive oil will harden at refrigerator temperatures - around 37-39°F. Determining at what point to call the oil "frozen" is a matter of semantics. The slow increase in hardening as the temperature is lowered is in sharp contrast to a pure substance such as water that switches from a liquid to solid phase at an exact temperature. Olive oil is a complex mixture of oils and waxes. The heavier oils and waxes will form needle-like crystals as the temperature is lowered, then the other oils will start to settle out.

At 40°F most of the oils would not harden or form any crystals. At 35°F most are firm enough that they cannot be poured but are as soft as butter at room temperature. As the temperature is lowered, more components of the oil solidify. At 10°F the oil is hard enough that a fork cannot penetrate it.

Source: Olive Oil Source.com

I buy EVOO in gallon containers and keep only a pint in the pantry. The rest is stored in the refrigerator.

#221322 - 04/30/12 06:14 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

The best way to keep olive oil fresh is to get one of those mylar-looking bladders that wine-in-a-box is kept in. Pop off the valve, wash the bladder really well, then put in hot water and some bicarb. Let it sit for an hour, rinse, and fill with olive oil. Squeeze out as much air as possible and put the valve back on. Put the bladder in the box, label it clearly as olive oil and store in refrigerator.

Why? Because the enemy of oil is oxygen. This way, when you open the tap and let out olive oil you are not allowing oxygen into the bag. There's actually a brand of olive oil that ships this way. Red Island or something. I am too lazy to walk into the kitchen to find out, but I have one in the pantry.

#221323 - 04/30/12 06:52 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: olyve]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#221328 - 04/30/12 12:45 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Amazing Photos Show What the World Really Eats Anyone's diet look like this?

#221351 - 04/30/12 06:24 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I gave up most processed and fast foods a long time ago. Homemade is cheaper, and tastes better. I do occasionally fall and partake of fast foods, but that's usually when out on a road trip.

#221353 - 04/30/12 07:07 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Just had this conversation this evening actually and totted up the processed foods we eat.

not by any great design to avoid it, but just out of habit and normal preference, I realised that the missus and i eat practially no processed foods, with a few exceptions e.g. low fat margerine substitute.

#221356 - 04/30/12 08:22 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
low fat margerine substitute.

If I should die because I ate good rich butter
then I shall die with no regrets.

Schlacky! You're a barbecuer so I know you've gotten into dry rubs some. I was just making a batch of rub and made a little too much to go into the Rub Jug and had a little revelation. Pecans!. I processed a cup or so of Nuts into a meal, added the excess rub, more brown sugar, paprika garlic and onion powder powder, went heavy on the chili powder(do you have that in Ireland?) and blended it all together. I now have two Rub Jugs, the Regular Jug rub for shoulders, ribs, and butts. But I also have the Nut Rub. I tried both the other night. The nut crusted ribs were very impressive. I haven't written the recipe out yet but when I do I'll call it Georgia Nut Rub for Shoulders Ribs and Butts.

#221358 - 04/30/12 08:28 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Quote:
low fat margerine substitute.

If I should die because I ate good rich butter
then I shall die with no regrets.

Schlacky! You're a barbecuer so I know you've gotten into dry rubs some. I was just making a batch of rub and made a little too much to go into the Rub Jug and had a little revelation. Pecans!. I processed a cup or so of Nuts into a meal, added the excess rub, more brown sugar, paprika garlic and onion powder powder, went heavy on the chili powder(do you have that in Ireland?) and blended it all together. I now have two Rub Jugs, the Regular Jug rub for shoulders, ribs, and butts. But I also have the Nut Rub. I tried both the other night. The nut crusted ribs were very impressive. I haven't written the recipe out yet but when I do I'll call it Georgia Nut Rub for Shoulders Ribs and Butts.

Ahem! I would like to market your product for you, if you haven't already engaged a firm...

#221361 - 04/30/12 08:37 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline
veteran

It doesn't even have to be good. It just needs a label.

#221362 - 04/30/12 09:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

It doesn't even have to be good. It just needs a label.

Please, sir! You are spilling the beans!

#221371 - 05/01/12 01:59 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
I gave up most processed and fast foods a long time ago. Homemade is cheaper, and tastes better. I do occasionally fall and partake of fast foods, but that's usually when out on a road trip.
Cheaper is an understatement! Not only does homemade taste better, but it's also healthier. A lot of that processed crap isn't even real food. Have you noticed that when you eat something made with fresh and natural ingredients that you get a lift, energy surge, and actually feel better? That's how you're supposed to feel. You're not supposed to feel sluggish or, in some cases, slightly ill. Your body's response is telling you something. I can't get over how many people are unable to grasp that simple concept, which amounts to no more than common sense.

#221400 - 05/01/12 11:53 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Joe~I agree with you about feeling better when eating non-processed foods. Being on dialysis, I have to be even more careful, and there a lot of foods that I cannot eat anymore, or only in very small quantities. So it is far easier to prepare most of my meals from scratch.

Greger~The nut rub sounds very good. Have also considered sauteing pecan halves in some butter, and then sprinkling them with your regular rub to serve as a snack? I've done that with some success.

#221412 - 05/01/12 01:03 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Joe~I agree with you about feeling better when eating non-processed foods. Being on dialysis, I have to be even more careful, and there a lot of foods that I cannot eat anymore, or only in very small quantities. So it is far easier to prepare most of my meals from scratch.
The heavily processed and fortified (supposedly they put back in what they processed out) tends to clog up the works- so to speak. It really doesn't take that much longer to prepare your meals from real fresh food. I saw scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage frozen- just have to pop in the micro-wave. How hard is it to fry, boil, or poach an egg?

#221413 - 05/01/12 01:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Greger, you ever grow garlic or ginger root here in Florida?

#221443 - 05/01/12 10:26 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

It's too warm down here for most varieties of garlic. I've researched it a little bit and there are two varieties that would do okay here. There might be a few more that would work up north where you are. So far I don't know how I'd get my hands on the right kind of garlic to start with.
It's too cold here for ginger, I think. I've never really looked into growing it. I know a place that often has big fresh looking ginger root, maybe I'll try planting some just to see.

#221453 - 05/02/12 06:42 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#221462 - 05/02/12 10:05 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Thanks, Joe. It was the Creole and Artichoke varieties I was thinking of. Sounds like the Creoles might do best. I'll bookmark this and order some Cuban Creoles sometime in the fall if it's available.

#224315 - 05/31/12 02:09 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#224316 - 05/31/12 02:13 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

She's right! Buy local produce. It's good for you!

#224344 - 05/31/12 04:22 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Salad and tilapia fillets last night for Mr. and Mrs. Haas.
Probably some kind of fish tonight too, unless I decide to take her out and let the kids fend for themselves.
They're on some sort of kick about not liking our favorite restaurants - they're grown and know how to cook!
Besides, Mrs. Haas is a very fun date :-)

---Benjamin Bratton

#224349 - 05/31/12 04:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I'm making beef stir fry with mushrooms and asparagus tips. Rice and iced tea complete the menu. Homemade coconut ice cream(made with Splenda) for dessert.

#224355 - 05/31/12 06:05 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Made hamburgers tonight.

fresh beef mince, seasoned with oregano, black pepper and onion powder.

Baked roll, sliced pickle, onion, cherry tomato and cucumber and a homemade pea and mint puree.

#224357 - 05/31/12 06:19 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Schlack~I've never had a puree like that, but it sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe?

#224361 - 05/31/12 06:53 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Schlack~I've never had a puree like that, but it sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe?

easy, Simple!

frozen or fresh peas, simmered like normal until tender, in water with a little salt and some bruised & torn fresh mint leaves.

drain, blend to puree, reserve some of the water in case its too thick

you can also add butter or cream for richness, and to ensure you get the consistency you want. - thinner purees are much better for fancy schmancy presentation (get a plastic squeezy bottle and have fun painting with peas!) return to the pot over a low heat to keep warm.

butter and cream are off the menu for me at the moment, but it still works well.

Quantities, proportions and consistency, are a matter of taste and experimentation.

for the burgers, The puree was quite thick!

#224367 - 05/31/12 07:10 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Schlack! ThumbsUp

#224373 - 05/31/12 08:29 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

Fried Trout(caught yesterday) and Barramundi Almondine, homegrown brussels sprouts and potatoes au gratin, I dug the potatoes this morning. I picked a watermelon this morning too but it looks like the raccons are gonna get more watermelons than I am....
The Barramundi is farmed in Vietnam and was touted as "sustainable Sea Bass" But in no way resembles Chilean Sea Bass(Which isn't really a Sea Bass either)

#224375 - 05/31/12 08:50 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Oooh, watermelon-it's on sale at my farmer's Market...Gonna have to get some!

#224412 - 06/01/12 09:06 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Have a good friend coming over tonight, a feast has been planned:

1st course:
Costinis with a trio of toppings: Roasted red pepper and Garlic, Italian Salsa Verde, Caramelised onions and melted gruyere cheese

Pasta Course:
Aglio et Olio (simple but fan-[censored]-tastic

Main course:
Pork tenderloin stuffed with caremlised onions and spinach, wrapped in parma ham, roasted taters, apple sauce, pea puree (i cant stop making it) and gravy

Desert:
Probably Tiramasu (TBC)

#224538 - 06/02/12 09:09 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Schlack Offline
veteran

last night's feast was moved to tonight instead!

Last night it was thickly cut fillet steak served on rosti, topped with garlic and thyme zuchini ribbons, with pan jus accompanied by a bucket of red wine.

The diet starts again Monday

#224542 - 06/02/12 10:08 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Greger Offline
veteran

That sounds great Shlack! The Rosti sounds like fun. I just looked at Danny Boome's recipe and will make it for dinner tonight.

#224630 - 06/02/12 07:25 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Schlack Offline
veteran

That sounds great Shlack! The Rosti sounds like fun. I just looked at Danny Boome's recipe and will make it for dinner tonight.

Delicious too! For really good rostis make sure to extract as much water as possible before forming the patties. Use a potato ricer to squeeze it out rather than paper towels.

Oh and the feast went really well!

added a touch of vinegar to the pea puree to give it a different tone, worked excellently.

Edited by Schlack (06/02/12 07:27 PM)

#224635 - 06/02/12 08:51 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Schlack]
Greger Offline
veteran

I don't have a potato ricer. But I will add the salt as soon as the potatoes are grated to help draw out some of the moisture.
Then I'll roll them up in a couple of tea towels and wring the water out.

Imagine Whirled Peas!

Your Pea Puree reminds me of the white bean puree I serve with braised lamb. It's very similar to mashed potatoes and can be done with canned Cannellini or Great Northern beans. I suppose Navy beans would work too. It's better when made with freshly cooked beans though.

#224727 - 06/03/12 03:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Planning on tomato sauce, pasta, meatballs & sausage. Seeded about 15 lbs Roma tomatoes, about 3 cups fresh basil, garlic, onion, red wine, spices, etc. Also dumped in two cans of peeled plum tomatoes. I let it simmer anywhere from 3-6 hrs +, depending upon how hungry I get.

With some fresh bread (semolina), it's about as good as it gets. Also, a salad. Nothing fancy. Just Romaine, tomatoes, garlic, black olives, and a vinaigrette. Maybe some Parmesan.

#224733 - 06/03/12 03:51 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Sounds good, Joe. if I get up off my ass right now I've got about 10 pounds of assorted homegrown tomatoes that need to be run through the tomato mill. My basil is starting to go to seed so I need to cut the tops off all of them. Almost 4:00 here now and and I can have spaghetti and meatballs ready by 7:00....

Schlack, the Roti turned out great! I made a few patties and froze them to see if they would hold up to being deep fried later.

Headed to the kitchen...........

#224734 - 06/03/12 03:54 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I got the watermelon-it was so delicious served ice cold. My mother used to sprinkle salt on hers, and I did like that, but I can't do that anymore. But it still tastes great just plain and cold! I also picked up some peaches and apricots at the farmer's Market. Those were good, too.

I did up a fresh fruit plate for my guests watching the hockey game last night. It was a great dessert/snack that hit the spot. Peach slices, watermelon slices, red and green seedless grapes, apple slices(I sprinkle them with a little lemon juice, so that they won't turn brown), strawberries, blue berries, black berries, raspberries and pineapple chunks. Some sliced cheddar cheese and baked brie, too. Since these fruits are in season here in SoCal, it wasn't that expensive.

#224743 - 06/03/12 05:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Just got back from a hike along the Gila River, below what's known as The Bird Area. We were about 25 miles from the big fire, wind blowing from us to it, so no smoke. Walked about 2-1/2 miles before noticing that a bear was walking the same way recently, so we turned around. Had a snack with our feet in the river, sardines on garlic crackers.

Got back to the truck and pulled the watermelon out and had to go back and sit on some rocks while the terriers hunted and we watched dragon flies and crawdads. I'd like to get me some of them crawdads...

#224762 - 06/03/12 07:07 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

My mother loved crawdads. But they are just medium-sized looking bugs(shrimp being small bugs and lobster being big bugs-crabs are spiders). I remember visiting family in Arkansas and Louisiana where they would boil up some crawdads in a big outdoor kettle, seasoned with some Old Bay seasoning and Louisiana hot sauce.Cooked with potatoes and corn on the cob, it was all dumped out on a newspaper covered table and people(except for me) would just go to town on the feast. I had a peanut butter sandwich.

#224774 - 06/03/12 08:28 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

Funny. I don't think of Crawdads as food, they are the little ones and good only for catfish bait.
Crayfish are the bigger ones, those beloved Mudbugs. They really aren't much good unless they are thrown live into the crab-boil. Frozen crayfish dry out. Most of you probably know this but the proper way to eat one is to tear off the head and suck the juice out of the back of it before pealing the rest like a shrimp. There aint no goody in the heads of frozen crayfish.

#224776 - 06/03/12 08:34 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Scoutgal]
logtroll Offline
old hand

My mother loved crawdads. But they are just medium-sized looking bugs(shrimp being small bugs and lobster being big bugs-crabs are spiders). I remember visiting family in Arkansas and Louisiana where they would boil up some crawdads in a big outdoor kettle, seasoned with some Old Bay seasoning and Louisiana hot sauce.Cooked with potatoes and corn on the cob, it was all dumped out on a newspaper covered table and people(except for me) would just go to town on the feast. I had a peanut butter sandwich.

Sistah, sistah! We talkin' bite size lobsta, heah! They may be bugs, but they be badass bitchin' tasty bugs!

Long time ago I went with some buddies fishing on the Bitterrot River in Montana. We put on the river in a twelve foot aluminum fishing boat with a small outboard engine about 20 miles upstream of Missoula. Being kind of lazy in the hunting/gathering department, I drove the boat, which was a boatload of fun.

Fishing wasn't too productive and just before town we stopped under a railroad bridge to look for crawdads in the rocks. We got a bunch, took them home, and had an excellent feast.

The End

#224777 - 06/03/12 08:36 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Funny. I don't think of Crawdads as food, they are the little ones and good only for catfish bait.

Uppity Cracker...

#224779 - 06/03/12 08:40 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I made some smoked chicken tacos last night: Slow-smoked chicken breast meat chunks, feta cheese, late-season home-grown Hass avocado, sliced hot-house cocktail tomatoes, salsa, and thin-sliced romaine lettuce.

Damn, those were good!

#224781 - 06/03/12 08:45 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
badass bitchin' tasty bugs

I dunno, Logtroll. I love lobster and shrimp of every variety, but crawdads alwasy taste a litle too much like mud to me. At least that's my impression from all the times I have eaten them down in Lousiana.

Now a shrimp po'boy, on the other hand... Bow

#224782 - 06/03/12 08:45 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Logtroll~I don't like or eat shellfish. Sorry.

#224784 - 06/03/12 08:46 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I made some smoked chicken tacos last night: Slow-smoked chicken breast meat chunks, feta cheese, late-season home-grown Hass avocado, sliced hot-house cocktail tomatoes, salsa, and thin-sliced romaine lettuce.

Damn, those were good!

Those sound yummy!

#224786 - 06/03/12 09:04 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Quote:
badass bitchin' tasty bugs

I dunno, Logtroll. I love lobster and shrimp of every variety, but crawdads alwasy taste a litle too much like mud to me. At least that's my impression from all the times I have eaten them down in Lousiana.

Now a shrimp po'boy, on the other hand... Bow

Sounds like a water quality issue. The Montana streams run clear as vodka.

#224799 - 06/04/12 07:07 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Speaking of bait, I tried sushi when it first became trendy up north many moons ago. A number of friends were raving about it, so I figured that I'd try it. If it weren't for the rice and seaweed, I don't believe that it would have any flavor. I then asked myself, why am I eating expensive bait- raw fish- that may contain parasites no matter how skillfully prepared? Nowadays it probably glows in the dark.

#224866 - 06/04/12 09:32 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

#224871 - 06/04/12 11:10 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

Anisakid larvae in the body cavity of a herring

Anisakis

Quote:
Anisakis is a genus of parasitic nematodes, which have a life cycle involving fish and marine mammals. They are infective to humans and cause anisakiasis....
Anisakiasis is a human parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract caused by the consumption of raw or undercooked seafood containing larvae of the nematode Anisakis simplex....
Fewer than ten cases occur annually in the United States....
Anisakiasis can be easily prevented by adequate cooking at temperatures greater than 60°C or freezing. The FDA recommends all shellfish and fish intended for raw consumption be blast frozen to -35°C or below for fifteen hours or be regularly frozen to -20°C or below for seven days....
Many countries require all types of fish with potential risk intended for raw consumption to be previously frozen to kill parasites....
For the worm, humans are a dead-end host. Anisakis and Pseudoterranova larvae cannot survive in humans, and will eventually die. In some cases, the infection will resolve with only symptomatic treatment. In other cases, however, infection can lead to small bowel obstruction, which may require surgery....

I love sushi, and in almost all respects it is very healthful eating.
In Canada -- and presumably in the USA, if the proper FDA regulations are enforced -- freezing guarantees that parasitic worms and other pathogens are not a problem to worry about in eating sushi. Any carcasses of nematodes that might be present simply add to the protein you are consuming.

#224874 - 06/05/12 05:36 AM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

I'll pass. I did, however, get into raw Apalachicola oysters. About 1 or 2 people per season would get sick from them, but they usually (not always)had a suppressed immune system. At any rate, I stopped eating them following the BP oil disaster. I even stopped making oyster stuffing.

#224899 - 06/05/12 12:18 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

'
You should get British Columbia oysters, they still seem to be safe -- provided they do not come from an area near a wood pulp processing plant which pumps dioxins and other bad stuff into the ocean so that the paper you use is lily-white rather than brown.

#224904 - 06/05/12 12:43 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

I have to say that there is one exception to my "no shellfish" rule. I'll eat crab, if it is not in the shell and mixed with something else(crab cakes are a favorite), and I'll eat clam chowder(both styles).

Numan~I'll have to tell my sister about BC oysters. She loves them, but after the BP disaster, she quit eating them. She'll be happy for the information. Thanks.

#224908 - 06/05/12 12:51 PM Re: Wonder what the poor folks are eatin' tonight? [Re: numan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: numan
'
You should get British Columbia oysters, they still seem to be safe -- provided they do not come from an area near a wood pulp processing plant which pumps dioxins and other bad stuff into the ocean so that the paper you use is lily-white rather than brown.
We're probably the last generation to eat salt water seafood. A trout by the babbling brook is picturesque and delicious, but overall I love that saltwater seafood. Unfortunately, the fisheries are dying, the ocean is being "plasticized," and what's left Fukushima will finish off.

Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 ... 102 103 >

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2