by Ardy
Yesterday at 07:11 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:13 PM
Round Table For April 20th-April 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:52 AM
Was Robert E. Lee a patriot or a traitor?
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:09 AM
Data shows majority does not rule in the US it is the rich and special interests
by Ardy
04/21/14 02:40 AM
Two for Easter
by Golem
04/20/14 02:00 PM
Animals with Human Rights Make Researchers Run Scared
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:30 PM
The New American Center: Why our nation isn't as divided as we think
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:13 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14013 Topics
243787 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207550 - 01/07/12 10:30 PM Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Quote:
PepsiCo, the soft drink's parent company, defended itself against a man who claimed he found a dead mouse in a can of the citrus soda. Experts called in by PepsiCo's lawyers offered a stomach-churning explanation for why it couldn't be true: the Mountain Dew would have dissolved the mouse, turning it into a "jelly-like substance," had it been in the can of fluid from the time of its bottling until the day the plaintiff opened it, 15 months later.

Forget legal disputes over canned vermin. The new question has become: Is Mountain Dew really so corrosive that it can dissolve a mouse carcass? And if so, what does it do to your teeth and intestines? Is Mountain Dew's classic slogan — "It'll tickle yore innards" — the world's most sickening understatement?

Key to Pepsi's legal argument is that there's no chance a mouse's corpse could survive, intact, for 15 months swimming in Mountain Dew. While published studies have not been conducted on how rapidly Mountain Dew would dissolve a mouse, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the neon green soda can eat away teeth and bones in a matter of months, and would likely do quite a number on a rodent.

#207552 - 01/07/12 10:36 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Just eeeuuuuwwwww comes to mind.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#207554 - 01/07/12 10:49 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal

LOL

Does knowing that Mountain Dew would turn a mouse to gelatin gross you out?

Quote:
The man is a liar! Mountain Dew would dissolve the mouse. There's no way an intact mouse could be in can of our product!

Great legal defense!! ROTFMOL

#207556 - 01/07/12 10:55 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
I once found a mouse in a bottle of Mountain Dew. Really.
But I had left the half full bottle of soda open in my truck.
Apparently a mouse had somehow gotten in the truck and was probably very thirsty. He crawled in the bottle and drowned.
I found him the next morning, fortunately I didn't take a drink.

#207561 - 01/07/12 11:21 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Brenda O'Malley is home making dinner as usual, when Tim Finnegan arrives at her door.

"Brenda, may I come in?" he asks. "I've somethin' to tell ya."

"Of course you can come in. You're always welcome, Tim. But where's my husband?"

"That's what I'm here to be tellin' ya, Brenda. There was an accident down at the Guinness brewery."

"Oh, God no!" cries Brenda. "Please don't tell me..."

"I must, Brenda. Your husband Shamus is dead and gone. I'm sorry."

Finally, she looked up at Tim. "How did it happen, Tim?"

"It was terrible, Brenda. He fell into a vat of Guinness and drowned."

"Oh my dear Jesus! But you must tell me true, Tim. Did he at least go quickly?"

"Well, no. Fact is, he got out three times to take a pee.

#207563 - 01/07/12 11:30 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline
veteran

I was looking for the clip from Strange Brew where Bob and Doug put out the fire. I found this instead.

#207586 - 01/08/12 04:10 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Not to be a spoil sport, but how much of a mouse would be left if it had spent 15 months in a bottle of water? Ever seen what is left of a drowned animal after just a few days? I actually had a live cockroach in a salad once. I didn't sue the restaurant, but a) I didn't pay for dinner (or eat it, either), and b) haven't ever eaten there again.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#207595 - 01/08/12 08:32 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

There's an easy way to test this. First, catch a mouse. Second put it in a jar and pour in Mountain Dew. Seal the jar. Wait. Publish your results and get arrested for confessing to cruelty to animals. Perhaps catch a dead mouse would be better.

It seems to me I have seen something about putting a piece of meat in Coca-Cola and watching. The meat dissolves fairly quickly.

#207598 - 01/08/12 09:17 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplian...n/ucm056174.htm

Food and Drug Admin standards. Did a search on rodent - intact - whole with a result of a picture of Congress and the POTUS popped up. Hmmmm.

Another attempt at publicity or a quick money grab of a few grand.

I once found metal pellets in a container of ice cream. Reported it to Hood and sent them the carton and pellets, cleaned, of course. They investigated the matter and determined that in the warehouse someone decided to bring their pellet gun and do some shooting. Small entry holes on container were hardly noticeable.

#207606 - 01/08/12 10:50 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When I worked for the poultry company, I had to go retrieve a Value Pack of Half Breasts because a consumer complained someone had shot the bird with a "bow and arrow" to kill it and the arrow tip had lodged in one breast of eight.

Whatever. rolleyes

By gawd, when I went to retrieve the product, there was an "arrow tip" lodged in a half breast one of the eight pieces of half breasts.

Turns out, on the production line, there are temperature probes that drop down onto the line and every few birds are "probed" by the temperature rod for a temperature reading and the tip of a temperature probe had come off and lodged into a bird.

The tips screwed-off of the rod so they could be replaced every so often and apparently, one loosened, and went home to a consumer.

#207607 - 01/08/12 10:53 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Ted Remington]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: churlpat lives
Perhaps catch a dead mouse would be better.

No one will be arrested. No one cares if you experiment on a mouse.

But, you might get PETA protesters to your home. Hmm

Once in physiology in college, my instructor gave me a rat, and I was wearing polyurethane gloves and I could feel the heat from the rat's body through my gloves. I noted that to my instructor and he said: It's fresh

(Meaning, it was just euthanized gobsmacked )

#207610 - 01/08/12 11:07 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
So, your rat was killed to end its suffering? or was it murdered so that you could practice ritual dismemberment?

My old cat Mo (short for mo betta cat) considers the presence of mouse as an upscaled culinary experience.

#207611 - 01/08/12 11:16 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: logtroll]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: logtroll
So, your rat was killed to end its suffering? or was it murdered so that you could practice ritual dismemberment?
nsiders the presence of mouse as an upscaled culinary experience.

Ritual experiment. I can't even remember what experiment it was now... Hmm

idea

I do remember a frog experiment. The instructor took an ice pick and "hit" the frog in the middle of his upper back to "knock out his nervous system" so he didn't feel any pain.

The experiment was: We were to take an X-acto knife and amputate his right leg from its body, put knee joint portion into a holding clamp, then take an electrical probe and hit the sciatic nerve with a jolt of electricity and watch the leg jump when electricity was applied to the nerve.

That experiment/observation was cool. Hmm

...just to be fair to creatures, we worked on a cadaver at the end of the semester. Did you know that body fat looks like orange-yellow wax?

#207617 - 01/08/12 11:34 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

I do hope the cadaver had been euthanized.

#207631 - 01/08/12 01:20 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Natural causes. wink

#207650 - 01/08/12 02:54 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: california rick

LOL

Yes. I have never liked Mountain Dew. And now I know why. sick

#207655 - 01/08/12 03:37 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Natural causes. wink

Do you support youth in Asia, as a general principle?

#207656 - 01/08/12 03:38 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Natural causes. wink

ROTFMOL

#207661 - 01/08/12 04:59 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL

Supposedly, Mountain Dew has the highest amount of caffeine of all the sodas.

#207662 - 01/08/12 05:02 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Natural causes. wink

ROTFMOL

I didn't "get" the pun at first. I was all: What? Hmm That's random. What do youths in Asia have to do with anything.

idea

...then I got it: Youth in Asia = euthanasia wink

My answer is yes to both. smile

#207663 - 01/08/12 05:20 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

LOL

Supposedly, Mountain Dew has the highest amount of caffeine of all the sodas.

It just tastes nasty.

#207693 - 01/08/12 10:07 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Scoutgal]
Hekate Offline

I think Jolt has the most caffeine, but I like Mountain Dew better, so that's what I drink on road trips.

I'll tell you what tastes nasty...5 Hour Energy. sick

#207694 - 01/08/12 10:57 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Hekate]
Greger Offline
veteran

Coffee has the most caffeine of all!
Is good hot or cold, is better for you than soda,
And will preserve mice.

#207807 - 01/09/12 06:49 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Hekate Offline

Unfortunately, it's not good burned, which is how it's sometimes served later in the day. Nothing better in the a.m., though!

#207826 - 01/09/12 08:10 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Hekate]
Greger Offline
veteran

There's 110 mg of caffeine in a bottled Starbucks Frappucino.

It's never burned.

Wont most places still make a fresh pot for you?

#207852 - 01/09/12 09:43 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Hekate Offline

Agree that Frap's are most excellent, as you get both sugar and caffeine. However, one must watch one's caloric intake. When I'm on a road trip, I'm carrying dogs. I use drive thru's to minimize total car time, and fresh pots are a hassle for everyone.

#207863 - 01/10/12 12:03 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Hekate]
Greger Offline
veteran

Ah. I get it. Road trips are a thing of the past for me, so I never go far and I usually have plenty of time to wait for a fresh pot or swing by one of the Cuban Places for real coffee. I think the huge quantities of Mountain Dew I used to drink were responsible for my diabetes.

#207879 - 01/10/12 07:59 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Greger
Ah. I get it. Road trips are a thing of the past for me, so I never go far and I usually have plenty of time to wait for a fresh pot or swing by one of the Cuban Places for real coffee. I think the huge quantities of Mountain Dew I used to drink were responsible for my diabetes.

I guess "Mountain Dew, with that good ol' mountain flavor for you", isn't actually good for you?

#207880 - 01/10/12 08:02 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Greger]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Cuban Places? Is that a chain? Or a generic term? I googled Cuban Place coffee and did not find anything to indicate it was a chain. I don't think I've ever been to a Cuban restaurant. I take it they have good coffee?

#207884 - 01/10/12 08:11 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: Ted Remington]
logtroll Offline
old hand

I think he means his neighbors?

#207918 - 01/10/12 11:01 AM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe Panama Red Coffee Co. was meant? Hmm

Meanwhile, back of Mountain Dew's mother office, Pepsi Co to layoff 4,000 employee and end 401k plan.

#207981 - 01/10/12 03:28 PM Re: Mountain Dew offers odd defense in mouse charge [Re: california rick]
Greger Offline
veteran

We have several Cuban restaurants in my little town. You probably shoulda googled Cafe Cubano Most places use Cafe Bustelo or Pilon brand coffee but they all have nice big espresso machines to make it with. Each cup is freshly made. My own favorite is Cafe con Leche.
American coffee, like American beer, often isn't well done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2