Current Topics
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
12:42 PM
High Schooler Gives Up Crown After Friend Was Pranked Into Thinking She Was Nomi
by california rick
07:18 PM
Top 10 myths about the Constitution on Constitution Day
by jgw
09/21/14 04:25 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Phil Hoskins
09/21/14 02:03 PM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by logtroll
09/21/14 01:45 PM
Reno Crowd Agrees: “Best Race I Ever Saw!” (w/video)
by Golem
09/21/14 01:19 PM
'Supernanny' Jo Frost -- I Can Help Adrian Peterson ... Contacts NFL Execs
by Ardy
09/20/14 07:12 PM
Defense of the GOP
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:14 PM
The Round Table For Week Of September 14th-September 20th, 2014
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:10 PM
Chocolate Milk Isn't Just For Kids: How The Drink Helps Your Workout, Brain, And
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 01:11 PM
P. J. O'Rourke: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster
by NW Ponderer
09/19/14 12:44 PM
Historic 'Ghost Ships' Discovered Near Golden Gate Bridge
by california rick
09/18/14 09:51 PM
The Ten Commandments
by california rick
09/18/14 09:48 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by california rick
09/18/14 09:25 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14353 Topics
247679 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209233 - 01/17/12 02:49 PM Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL approval

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper became the latest stakeholder in the Keystone XL debate to cite Iran’s threats to block the Strait of Hormuz as one justification for the U.S. to approve the controversial oil pipeline.

Harper told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation yesterday he thinks it’s “pretty obvious what the right decision is, not just from an economic and environmental standpoint but also from an energy-security standpoint.”

“When you look at the Iranians threatening to block the Strait of Hormuz, I think that just illustrates how critical it is that supply for the United States be North American,” Harper said.
Calgary-based TransCanada Corp.’s pipeline would carry oil sands crude from Alberta through six states to Gulf Coast refineries in Port Arthur and Houston. The Canadian government has long encouraged the United States to approve the pipeline.

There goes that terroristic agressor state Canada trying to raise the specter of war to sell oil.

#209241 - 01/17/12 04:41 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Rather, there goes that terrorist aggressor Neo-Con creep, Stephen Harper.

You, in your American innocence, have no idea what an awful man he is. A large percentage of Canadians hate him. The rest of the population are as stupid as American voters.

Many people here curse that pipeline and everything connected with it. If, or rather, when, theare are spills and leaks from it, it will do terrible things to both Canada and the United States.

But since The US is not as blessed with water as is Canada, it will be far more catastrophic to American water-tables.

#209247 - 01/17/12 05:17 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: numan]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Numan, I lived through Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush (not again), Obama, and I'm following the charge of the Neanderthals running for the Republican Nomination.

You have my condolences. In every life a little rain must fall.

#209266 - 01/17/12 07:53 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Is it really "oil sand crude" or is it the stuff cracked by processing tar sands? My understanding is that the refining process for normal pumped crude oil uses a large percentage of the potential energy in the oil just to run the refinary. The result is X tons of CO2 produced for Y tons of refined products (gasolene, deisel, kerosene, etc.)

But for tar sand, X/Y is much, much larger. It is still possible to get some useful energy out of the process, but at the expense of way more CO2 released into the atmosphere.

OTOH our other big natural resource option is natural gas obtained by fracking, which seems to have a lot of nasty effects on our aquifers.

I know: I'll just hold my breath until I can buy a Rossi LENR at Home Depot, and fire it up with my hoarded rolls of nickels!

#209273 - 01/17/12 08:21 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Mechanic Offline
journeyman

My only question, (of long standing) is why pipeline Canadian crude so far ? We have - and can expand - refinery capacity in the Dakotas ! Hence we can ship "product" from a Dakota terminus to wherever its needed ! IOW, a "non argument" IMO !

Of course the Dakotas are Republican........But that wouldn't influence the "Unbiased Obama Administration" that promised us a new era in government transparency, would it ? >Mech

#209274 - 01/17/12 08:23 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: pondering_it_all]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
If Iran should block the straits, it would be suicide by stupidity.

So much money involved in Keystone, that it may be years before the truth comes out.

Whether Oil or Gas or Wind or Solar, the vested interests will have solid scientific arguments beyond the ken of us mere mortals, no matter how we try to understand the subject.

#209276 - 01/17/12 08:36 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
I'm thinking Canada should just build a refinery and to hell with the pipeline.

#209280 - 01/17/12 09:02 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
No mere mortal can understand the physics and chemical mumbo-jumbo for the simple reason that it is nonsense. Liberal, Almighty-denying scio-fascists throw a bunch of craziness at the gullible and get them to believe any kind of idiocy, like CO2 is a pollutant, or anthropogenic global climate change exists, or that there are eviromentally negative impacts of burning coal, or that there is a danger of mercury and sulfur in water, soil or air, or that alternatives exist to fossil fuels, or that fracking can pollute vast aquifers, or that 1,000 mile long oil pipelines have negative impacts even if they don't leak (which, of course, they wouldn't) or that oil leaks are damaging to people and environments, and on and on.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#209385 - 01/18/12 03:00 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Breaking News on CNN states that President Obama has rejected the building of the Keystone XL pipeline. It is good to see him stand up to terroristic warnings by the PM of Canada.

#209398 - 01/18/12 04:13 PM Re: Canadian PM says Iran threat justifies Keystone XL [Re: Ozymanithrax]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

For those of interest look up "The Big Inch" another phoney project for a "staged" war. Is the need as necessary? Seems to me it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2