by california rick
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
St. Louis City police shoot, kill knife-wielding suspect
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
Curt Schilling Diagnosed With Mouth Cancer, Believes Chewing Tobacco Was Cause
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
Let Obama Golf. No President Can Be Mr. Fix-It (and We Shouldn't Let Him Try).
by Ardy
Yesterday at 12:30 PM
Police charity raffling semiautomatic rifle, pistol
by california rick
Yesterday at 12:21 AM
Round Table For Week Of August 17th-August 23rd, 2014
by Spag-hetti
08/20/14 10:58 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
08/20/14 04:17 PM
Ferguson agitators
by rporter314
08/20/14 03:16 PM
The Outer Limits: The New Breed (1995)
by rporter314
08/20/14 03:09 PM
What the Haters Got Wrong About Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Comments on GMOs
by pondering_it_all
08/19/14 11:07 PM
The 3 Dumbest Things About Whole Foods Market
by Ken Condon
08/19/14 11:03 PM
‘Thunderstruck?’: Missouri Governor Helped Ferguson Get Surplus Military Equipme
by Scoutgal
08/19/14 06:32 PM
Fox's Outnumbered Hosts Explode at Geraldo for 'Irresponsible' Ferguson Comments
by logtroll
08/19/14 05:57 PM
Ferguson, what's going on ?
by Ardy
08/19/14 02:14 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14273 Topics
246946 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209467 - 01/19/12 02:57 AM Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts

The deficit-slashing supercommittee left Congress with quite the mess to mop up in 2012.

With each day that ticks by, the nation becomes a bit closer to a painful round of automatic budget cuts that the 12-member supercommittee failed to prevent because of its members’ inability to agree on a $1.2 trillion deal to cut the deficit.

So, despite a veto threat from President Barack Obama, congressional Republicans and a handful of Democrats have vowed to somehow unravel the spending cuts this year — which are scheduled to hit defense and domestic programs equally in January 2013.

“I’m very concerned about the defense cuts in sequestration, but it’s also the cuts to nondefense discretionary [that] are also devastating,” Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) told POLITICO. “Ultimately, I think there’s a very strong feeling that it’s not going to go into effect.”

Just when you think they are going to actually cut spending, they don't.

It will be interesting to see if President Obama uses that Veto Pen or back away.

#209471 - 01/19/12 06:18 AM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
More interesting to me is that the "Deficit Hawks" are completely full of crap. Cutting the deficit was never really their goal. Making the President look like a big spender was all they were after. Now, going into the election, the GOP will reveal itself, once again, as being politically motivated with no intention to govern effectively.
Ultimately it is Republicans who must cave and allow at least marginal tax increases to go hand in hand with budget cuts to reduce the deficit.

#209486 - 01/19/12 11:15 AM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Greger]
Ozymanithrax Offline

I have long felt that Deficit Hawks are about personal power, not about actually reducing spending. They never dramatically cut anything. Even those deficit hawks who tout their record of voting against higher budgets, lard up the budget with pork by product that they know will pass anyway.

#209490 - 01/19/12 11:25 AM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Chuck Howard Offline
old hand

Loc: Philly 'burbs
I'm in favor of the "do nothing plan" which would solve our so-called "deficit problem."

#209499 - 01/19/12 12:09 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Ozymanithrax]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Typical of this Congress: when they said those cuts would be "automatic", it must be that "was not intended to be a factual statement" - in the immortal words of Sen. Kyl.

Congress selected these programs that would be cut when they passed the Bill. Now they want to change what they passed. A tad too late to blame anyone but themselves.

As far as I am concerned all of the cuts should come from Defense. We are not an Empire or the World's policeman as the GOP would have us think and as soon as the rest of the world realizes this fact, hopefully, they will "pony up" to their own defense needs.

The only reason many of these politicians are against the proposed cuts in defense spending is the relationship between high employment and defense spending in their districts. They are only concerned about re-election campaign contributions drying up and voter rejection.

#209500 - 01/19/12 12:20 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Chuck Howard]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chuck Howard
I'm in favor of the "do nothing plan" which would solve our so-called "deficit problem."

I agree. Bow

#209521 - 01/19/12 01:42 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: california rick]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Originally Posted By: california rick
Typical of this Congress: when they said those cuts would be "automatic", it must be that "was not intended to be a factual statement" - in the immortal words of Sen. Kyl.

Congress selected these programs that would be cut when they passed the Bill. Now they want to change what they passed. A tad too late to blame anyone but themselves.

As far as I am concerned all of the cuts should come from Defense. We are not an Empire or the World's policeman as the GOP would have us think and as soon as the rest of the world realizes this fact, hopefully, they will "pony up" to their own defense needs.

The only reason many of these politicians are against the proposed cuts in defense spending is the relationship between high employment and defense spending in their districts. They are only concerned about re-election campaign contributions drying up and voter rejection.

These automatic Spending cuts were supposed to kill sacred cows in order to get Congress to agree on whatever the Super Committee would come up with.
Senate passes bill to end debt showdown
The Super committee, however, was designed to fail, by the Republicans.

Every Republican member had signed Grover Norquist's pledge not to raise taxes. (http://s3.amazonaws.com/atrfiles/files/files/091411-federalpledgesigners(1).pdf), an oath that appears to be more binding on them than the one to protect and defend the Constitution. That meant that it was impossible to increase revenues.

It simply isn't possible to end the deficit with spending cuts alone.

In my opinion, the whole Super committee was just political theater. Republicans hoped it would hurt Democrats in general and President Obama specifically, since number 1 goal is to make Obama a 1 Term President. It was all about playing for power instead of paying debts.

Now it has come back to bite them, and they want a do over. The Democrats that want to help them restart their game of politics should be sent home to spend more time with the family, with their Republican Brethren.

Edited by Ozymanithrax (01/19/12 01:45 PM)

#209525 - 01/19/12 01:56 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Ozymanithrax]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ozymanithrax
The Democrats that want to help them restart their game of politics should be sent home to spend more time with the family, with their Republican Brethren.

I agree. smile

#209532 - 01/19/12 02:31 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Chuck Howard]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: Chuck Howard

I could live with this, in addition to ending subsidies for oil/gas and agriculture.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#209536 - 01/19/12 02:41 PM Re: Congress tries to disable automatic spending cuts [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
Fixing the deficit spending is really not that difficult, but it would require cooperation and good common sense coming out of congress. Apparently nothing is important enough for this congress to consider using common sense as a guide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2