Current Topics
It's no longer safe to recline your airplane seat
by Scoutgal
42 minutes 27 seconds ago
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by Scoutgal
44 minutes 55 seconds ago
New York driver chains neck to pole, hits gas pedal, gets decapitated
by logtroll
Today at 03:09 PM
Round Table For Week Of August 31st-September 6th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:54 PM
Cop cam: Ferguson police to wear body cameras
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:11 PM
Israel appropriates massive tract of West Bank land
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:06 PM
Inside Job
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:03 PM
NFL Player Got Tattoo On His Face To Keep Himself From Ever Getting A Normal Job
by Scoutgal
Today at 02:01 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Today at 01:26 PM
My Muslim religion has problems that need fixing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:15 AM
History's 'Houdini': What the Critics Are Saying
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:55 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:31 PM
5 current Ferguson officers apart from Brown shooter figure in lawsuits
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:25 AM
National Israeli fire on Gaza town raises war crimes claim
by Ardy
08/31/14 06:52 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
08/31/14 08:55 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14305 Topics
247190 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#211324 - 01/31/12 08:32 PM Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
Burmese pythons have eaten so many small mammals in Everglades National Park that populations of rabbits and foxes have disappeared and numbers of raccoons, opossums and bobcats have dropped as much as 99%, according to a report released Tuesday by researchers at Virginia Tech University, Davidson College and the U.S. Geological Survey.

“Pythons are wreaking havoc on one of America’s most beautiful, treasured, and naturally bountiful ecosystems,” said U.S. Geological Survey Director Marci McNutt in a statement.

The massive nonnative snakes have become an established species in the park in the past 11 years, after snakes that were once pets were released into the wild, according to the researchers. Park spokeswoman Linda Friar said earlier this month that there are tens of thousands of the snakes in the park.

Link
Seems a most efficient way to begin ridding the swamp of the critters would be to put a bounty on each head brought in, regardless of size. Those folks that would also want to mess with marketing the meat from the larger fellows would be free to do so. I'm thinking 100 dollars ahead.

Of course, once the easy pickings are gone, higher prices would be offered to compensate for the need to go deeper into the swamp to get to the remnant. I played in the some Florida swamps as a kid and coulda used the money. Just a thought. coffee

#211326 - 01/31/12 08:43 PM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
From snakes, to fish, to grasses, to trees, to insects - when man starts introducing non-native species into areas, the entire local ecosystem gets messed-up.

Higher-thinkers of the animal kingdom? Laughable.

#211330 - 01/31/12 10:55 PM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
Mechanic Offline
journeyman

Making them "open season" prey - with perhaps a bounty - would elminate the "problem" in short order, IMO ! >Mech

#211333 - 02/01/12 12:32 AM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
People care about vermin? Seems the snakes are doing a good deed.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#211344 - 02/01/12 09:41 AM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
isn't that already a reality tv show = Burmese Snake Hunters of the Everglades

#211353 - 02/01/12 10:54 AM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
just read a story which stated non-native Burmese pythons etc ... so it struck me ... do we have native Burmese pythons?

#211357 - 02/01/12 11:04 AM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: rporter314]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Originally Posted By: rporter314
just read a story which stated non-native Burmese pythons etc ... so it struck me ... do we have native Burmese pythons?

No we do not. We know this because said pythons are named 'Burmese.' wink

#211370 - 02/01/12 01:54 PM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Just one small fragment, out of a vast host of others, of a vast upheaval in biological relations caused by humans -- in the greatest Age of Extinction since the disappearance of the dinosaurs.

But forgetr about that -- let's get back to the clowns on TV and the latest speeches by the Republican contenders. ‚· · wink

#211415 - 02/01/12 08:02 PM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: Mechanic]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mechanic
Making them "open season" prey - with perhaps a bounty - would elminate the "problem" in short order, IMO ! >Mech

Well, of course it should be an "open season" -- the goal is to eradicate, not conserve the critters. Hmmm... python burgers. It's a thought.:-)

#211420 - 02/01/12 08:46 PM Re: Pythons wiping out mammals in Everglades, research [Re: issodhos]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: issodhos
Originally Posted By: Mechanic

Well, of course it should be an "open season" -- the goal is to eradicate, not conserve the critters. Hmmm... python burgers. It's a thought.:-)

Probly gonna be a glut of snake oil on the market.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2