by jgw
09/30/14 04:22 PM
Lax regulation by NY fed. Goldman tapes
by Ardy
09/29/14 02:21 PM
Congress of Cowards
by NW Ponderer
09/28/14 11:35 PM
The World's First Genetically Modified Babies Will Graduate High School This Yea
by Ardy
09/28/14 06:49 PM
Middle east, ISIS/ISIL, Syria, Iraq - I don't get it
by jgw
09/28/14 04:10 PM
How Baldface Lying Prevails
by Ardy
09/28/14 12:30 PM
Defense of the GOP
by logtroll
09/28/14 12:27 PM
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by Ardy
09/28/14 12:09 PM
Space Station's '42' Crew Links Expedition to 'Hitchhiker's Guide'
by logtroll
09/28/14 03:34 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14370 Topics
247785 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212337 - 02/09/12 03:27 AM Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Quote:
Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen with new staff
link

Who would send their child to a "Calironia School"?

...the headline spelling has probably been corrected by now

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#212365 - 02/09/12 10:53 AM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
This story has nothing to do with "California schools." It has everything to do with sick individuals who happen to be faculty - who are usually members of the community as well.

In the above instance, it was two teachers.

In this instance it was a custodian.

...just because all three were faculty for the Los Angeles Unified School District one should not draw conclusions about El Lay schools.

#212372 - 02/09/12 11:25 AM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I, for one, think replacing the entire staff was angross overreaction, and hurt more innocent people than any other action might have.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#212374 - 02/09/12 11:34 AM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

There are 45,000+ teachers in the LA Unified school dist. In any population that large there will be bad actors. Two were allegedly involved at one school, and 70 teachers were "indefinitely" relocated without justification. While the actions of those two were horrific, group punishment is illegal and immoral. I would be seriously consideriing legal action against the sxhool district, were I someone whonhad been working in one school for 16 years, as some staff apparently were.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#212375 - 02/09/12 11:38 AM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The general rule of thumb is not to replace any faculty during the school year because the kids bond with the faculty. It's for the benefit of the kids.

However, outraged community members were outside of the school picketing and demanding a "safe" school for their children.

Given that a thorough investigation of these two teachers would have been completely disruptive to the functioning of the school, it was LAUSDs decision to remove all faculty to ensure a complete reset and a return to as normal as possible school year.

LAUSD has also provided counselors for every classroom and for staff as well.

#212376 - 02/09/12 11:42 AM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: NW Ponderer]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
There are 45,000+ teachers in the LA Unified school dist. In any population that large there will be bad actors. Two were allegedly involved at one school, and 70 teachers were "indefinitely" relocated without justification. While the actions of those two were horrific, group punishment is illegal and immoral. I would be seriously consideriing legal action against the sxhool district, were I someone whonhad been working in one school for 16 years, as some staff apparently were.

Trust me, in a school, things get around - most of the talk in unfounded. I will most certainly bet there were rumors circulating. NOTHING goes unnoticed in a school. Schools are the biggest gossip sites to ever exist.

The person who will take the fall in all of this is the school principal.

There is no union protection for job site guarantee. Union protection only guarantees that one has a job. There are classified and non-classified unions which exist and the protocol is the same for both.

#212387 - 02/09/12 12:20 PM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Rick, have you been watching the news reports on this? Those children and teachers want a safe school, but they want their good teachers, too. It does not help anyone, except the guilty conscience of the top admin) to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Watching those kids cry out for teachers who have become part of their support system shows to me that those in charge of the LAUSD are a lot more interested in CYA than providing a safe environment for a good education. This action was nothing but cruel.

I am with NWP on this. There will be lawsuits all over the place with this. The parents of the abused children will sue, the teachers and staff will sue, and the parents of the kids whose teachers were ripped away from them will most like;y sue. So this action did nothing but cause disruption and heartache.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#212389 - 02/09/12 12:33 PM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Rick, have you been watching the news reports on this? Those children and teachers want a safe school, but they want their good teachers, too. It does not help anyone, except the guilty conscience of the top admin) to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Watching those kids cry out for teachers who have become part of their support system shows to me that those in charge of the LAUSD are a lot more interested in CYA than providing a safe environment for a good education. This action was nothing but cruel.

Obviously, I do understand:

Originally Posted By: california rick
The general rule of thumb is not to replace any faculty during the school year because the kids bond with the faculty. It's for the benefit of the kids.

This is a political hot potato, and yes, Administration needs to cover their butt.

This case will be akin to the McMartin Pre-school case of the late-1980s. Ergo, the need to clean house. Faculty knew about what was going on and nobody said anything.

You want children being taught/mentored by those who remain silent?

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
There will be lawsuits all over the place with this. The parents of the abused children will sue, the teachers and staff will sue, and the parents of the kids whose teachers were ripped away from them will most like;y sue. So this action did nothing but cause disruption and heartache.

Sorry to inform you, there's nothing in any school district CTA contract anywhere in the State of California with job site guarantee.

#212391 - 02/09/12 12:37 PM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: california rick]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
It is easy to second guess from the comfort of one's mind the actions of the district. I am with Rick on this. All options were bad. At least this option has the advantage of guaranteeing that if any inside code of silence existed it was made inoperative.

#212392 - 02/09/12 12:37 PM Re: Calironia school in child abuse scandal to reopen [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am now in my third school district position. Nothing has changed except the faces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2