by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 05:05 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 05:02 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 03:26 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 03:14 PM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
10/22/14 04:42 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10/22/14 12:53 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition’s 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:23 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:22 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by pondering_it_all
10/21/14 05:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 11:30 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
10/21/14 09:38 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14409 Topics
248219 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214109 - 02/26/12 03:45 PM from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
“Kitchen Stove” Biorefinery Goes from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour

Quote:

The California biofuel company Cool Planet BioFuels has announced the successful test of a pilot biorefinery that can convert an acre of the giant grass miscanthus into gasoline at the rate of 4,000 gallons per acre. You read that right – the process yields straight, drop-in quality gasoline that is chemically identical to its petroleum-based cousin.

Now im generally against the idea of using agricultural land for fuel instead of food - and indeed the additional carbon footprint of many biofuels, but this seems like a great leap forward.

#214114 - 02/26/12 04:32 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Forty-two gallons in a barrel. About a quarter of the petroleum is turned into gasoline. World consumption of petroleum is about 80 million barrels per day, or about 1.25 trillion (1.25x10^12) gallons per year. That means that it would require about 125,000 sq. miles of cropland (a little less than the area of California) to meet world gasoline demand -- spread out over the entire world, of course.
A daunting prospect.

On the other hand, Miscanthus giganteus tolerates many kinds of soils, is moderately drought resistent, and can tolerate cold and snow. So it might grow on land that is unsuitable for food crops.
It would still require a lot of land. What effect would that have on ecosystems?
Moreover, it would require fertilizers. Most fertilizers today come from petroleum -- SIGH.

Edited by numan (02/26/12 06:07 PM)

#214115 - 02/26/12 04:39 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
there is no doubt in my mind that thsi si an extremely important technology that will provide a significant part of future energy demands.

That said, I doubt that time i now, as was implied by the breathlessly enthusiastic PR news release

Edited by Ardy (02/26/12 04:39 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#214116 - 02/26/12 04:39 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
numan Offline
veteran

Ethanol Produced from Perennial Grass Could Offset 20% of Gas Use with 9.3% of Cropland
Miscanthus: "still in its infancy"

Quote:
As Long readily admits, Miscanthus still has a ways to go before it becomes a viable alternative to gas, let alone corn ethanol....
Keep in mind that this Miscanthus is completely unimproved, so if we were to do the sorts of things that we’ve managed to do with corn, where we’ve increased its yield threefold over the last 50 years, then it’s not unreal to think that we could use even less than 10 percent of the available agricultural land. And if you can actually grow it on non-cropland that would be even better.

Since the grass grows from perennial rhizomes, once it has been established, one need not re-plant it year after year. That is a considerable advantage over maize.

#214118 - 02/26/12 04:59 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Ardy]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Ardy
there is no doubt in my mind that thsi si an extremely important technology that will provide a significant part of future energy demands.

That said, I doubt that time i now, as was implied by the breathlessly enthusiastic PR news release

No arguments here.

#214123 - 02/26/12 05:45 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: numan
'
Seventy-two gallons in a barrel. World consumption of petroleum is about 80 million barrels per day, or about two trillion (2x10^12) gallons per year. That means that it would require about 0.8 million sq. miles of cropland ( about a quarter of the land area of the United States) to meet world petroleum demand -- spread out over the entire world, of course.
A daunting prospect.

On the other hand, Miscanthus giganteus tolerates many kinds of soils, is moderately drought resistent, and can tolerate cold and snow. So it might grow on land that is unsuitable for food crops.
It would still require a lot of land. What effect would that have on ecosystems?

There are 42 gallons in a barrel of oil, not 72. The consumption of 88 million barrels of petroleum is not the same as 88 million barrels of gasoline.

"1 barrel of crude oil = 42 US gallons (159 liters or 35 imperial gallons). It produces from about 21 percent to 35 percent of gasoline or petrol, plus many other products such as kerosene, etc."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_gasoline_can_be_made_from_one_barrel_of_crude_oil#ixzz1nWw8C98w

#214125 - 02/26/12 05:48 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Oops! That's what I get for relying on my memory!

Thanks for the correction, Churl. I shall amend my original posting.

#214126 - 02/26/12 05:56 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: numan]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Originally Posted By: numan
That means that it would require about 0.8 million sq. miles of cropland ( about a quarter of the land area of the United States) to meet world petroleum demand -- spread out over the entire world, of course.
A daunting prospect.

But then again an enterprising individual with a few extra acres of land could indeed set up his own little neighborhood coop where members could avoid the price hikes by making their own fuel, yes?

---Benjamin Bratton

#214127 - 02/26/12 06:09 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
numan Offline
veteran

'
I think they might be defeated by their lack of economies of scale. On the other hand, they might be ingenious in their use of fertilizers.

#214135 - 02/26/12 07:43 PM Re: from Grass to Gasoline in One Hour [Re: Schlack]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Chances are pretty good that I will end up living very close to this company as we are scouting homes in that exact area (Camarillo, Ventura, Santa Paula etc) so it might be interesting to see how all this shapes up.

It would be nice to be able to pull up to an N100 fuel pump and pay less.
I love competition, it's an all American idea and the petroleum industry needs competition.

---Benjamin Bratton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2