by Ardy
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Big brother is watching
by Joe Keegan
Yesterday at 07:00 PM
Round Table For April 20th-April 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 12:20 PM
Was Robert E. Lee a patriot or a traitor?
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 12:06 PM
What would you ask your Senator for?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 11:13 AM
If you don't vote......
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
CNN: Can this KKK leader rebrand?
by NW Ponderer
04/23/14 02:21 AM
America is no longer a democracy.
by california rick
04/23/14 01:58 AM
Middle Class: The Labor and the Market That Supports the 1%
by california rick
04/22/14 10:03 PM
How Americans die
by Ardy
04/22/14 07:11 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14017 Topics
243860 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#215526 - 03/07/12 07:55 AM Welcome to the Crazy House
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
5 Years in the Crazy House

Quote:
For four long years, the power-drunk Status Quo Elites have piled on pretense and illusion at the expense of truth. Welcome to the Crazy House. The entire rotten edifice of global financialization was visibly crumbling by early 2008, and yet here we are, four long years later, still under the jackboots of artifice and lies. Instead of the cruel illusions of TARP, now we have HAMP, LTRO, The Troika, and assorted other acronyms and inanities passing for policy.

Welcome to the Crazy House, a rotting McMansion ruled by power-drunk megalomaniacs suffering from delusions of invulnerability and god-like powers. Why are we here, you ask? Because the drunks who run the household make it so darned easy: just keep quiet, listen politely to their ravings, and you get subsidized meals, free rent, a houseful of techno-gadgetry and nonstop entertainment--and that's not even counting the amusement value of their delusional, sloppy-drunk ramblings out by the rust-stained pool.

It takes a while to habituate to the Crazy House; at first, all the artifice, illusions, delusions and lies are disorienting. The dysfunctional "family" that runs the place acts like the money is endless, as if borrowing money was the same as actually producing something of value.

More...

#215532 - 03/07/12 10:10 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Sandune Offline

I'm logging out of the Crazy House.

On my way out the door, I want to clear up a few comments made by Hos directed to me.

I do not hate Christians but I do not want them directing the House, Senate and White House. I do not hate men but I come another culture where men are superior to women. I expect men to as good as they can be intelligently. I was raised to be an inferior team member within my family. I was not prepared to be ignored and the children raised as simply extensions of the parents. When it came to my making a commitment it had to be to someone far more intelligent than me. I missed the target twice. I saw talents and attributes in my step son and my two girls that were ignored by my husband. I realized that I had married a hillbilly who could not get out of Kansas. I took on the kids on my own terms and lost the husband.

Here, I see grown men posting as something they are not. Many are cowards and will never step up and declare right from wrong. They can’t because all they have is Jesus who despises minorities.

I found my place in politics where I could choose a candidate who shared my ideals of respecting all Americans. That failed when the voters wanted only Christian ideals. I fought hard to bring this back to include all Americans. It is no longer possible. I thought the internet would produce more individuals but I was wrong. It produced a level of whiners that has destroyed the process of open dialog.

Yesterday, the total votes for the GOP candidates were only a small part of the total of registered voters. The GOP set standards that caused a large section of the Republican Party to stay home rather than add to the horror of what that party has become. I will join the non-voters and sit back, shut up and work on the depression that is this election.

I need the team work from the YMCA and the Red Cross. My nest is empty and my energy is high. I have work to do but not for the GOP and certainly not on Reader Rant.

#215535 - 03/07/12 10:43 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Underneath the veneer, however, there are some residents that are undertaking repairs. The problem with the piece (and I do find Smith an interesting read) is that solutions are not presented. Running around pointing out that the emperor has no clothes is fine, but isn't it better to offer something to wear?

Here's an example: My wife's nephew is involved with a nascent, but growing movement in sustainable agriculture. Much of it is innovative, experimental stuff, but way beyond "organic." It involves concepts like Talapia ponds, where the water is recycled, the leavings and dead fish composted, the heat from the compost used as an energy source for greenhouses where fresh vegetables are grown, a particular specie of fly is used to speed up the compost process, and its larvae feed the chickens and Talapia. All of it self-contained and self-perpetuating.

There are also neighborhoods that are reclaiming fallow lands (abandoned lots) to start community gardens, where fresh foods are produced locally. Did you know that earthworms kill ecoli in dirt even if they don't eat it? Did you know that certain insects and bacteria stabilize heavy metal and oil compounds? Think how that might revive New Orleans. These guerilla gardeners are also building local economies, even though they don't make a profit.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#215539 - 03/07/12 11:13 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Land of Burnt Dirt
Great rant, Sandy and all the more reason you should stay. I agree with much of what you say. There must be a distinction may, I think, between Christians and the people known a fundies or whom I call the Christiban. Call them what you will, I believe if you can make that distinction or something similar you might find that a greater number of people, most people in my opinion, will agree with you.

Christians are good people. Of course if I agreed with them about everything I'd be a Christian. No matter, I think it is a fine faith that can make a difference in the lives of people. The one bone I have to pick with them is that they won't tell the obnoxious, mouthy, dominionists, the Christiban to shut the hell up. Fundies are not Christians any more than fundies are Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist. Every religion has a group of those parasites. The thing is fundamentalism is their religion. We know it. Christians know it. Muslims know it.

If I may suggest Sandy, it is the Christiban who you cannot tolerate. Most of us can't. The idiot Chastity Pledges and Charity Balls are harmless as long as they don't force that kind of thing on other people. It is the obvious widespread attempt of the Christiban to gain local, state and national control of politics; the combination of church and state where I draw the line. I believe that is also your position.

The GOP is the "American Faith Party", as someone said the other day. It has gotten that bad. Religionists own the GOP. GOP is synonymous with financial deregulation, war, the limited Constitutional rights of citizens, pro-life, racism, social engineering, rigid control, and Christian fundamentalism. If you don't support these positions why in the world wouldn't you be upset with the GOP?

Stay here and rant, baby. Be more specific when you say talk about Christians. I don't think you mean Christians, I think you mean the people who have perverted the Christian faith in an attempt to control everyone and everything. There is really little difference between those people and the Taliban. Change a few words and their idea of Christian law is no different than Sharia. It is a loud, mouthy and dangerous bunch, but they are the minority and you should not let them attempt to silence you. They are not Christians.

Stay here and fight, Sandy.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.

#215540 - 03/07/12 11:31 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: itstarted

Quote:
For four long years, the power-drunk Status Quo Elites have piled on pretense and illusion at the expense of truth. Welcome to the Crazy House. The entire rotten edifice of global financialization was visibly crumbling by early 2008, and yet here we are, four long years later, still under the jackboots of artifice and lies. Instead of the cruel illusions of TARP, now we have HAMP, LTRO, The Troika, and assorted other acronyms and inanities passing for policy.

Welcome to the Crazy House, a rotting McMansion ruled by power-drunk megalomaniacs suffering from delusions of invulnerability and god-like powers. Why are we here, you ask? Because the drunks who run the household make it so darned easy: just keep quiet, listen politely to their ravings, and you get subsidized meals, free rent, a houseful of techno-gadgetry and nonstop entertainment--and that's not even counting the amusement value of their delusional, sloppy-drunk ramblings out by the rust-stained pool.

It takes a while to habituate to the Crazy House; at first, all the artifice, illusions, delusions and lies are disorienting. The dysfunctional "family" that runs the place acts like the money is endless, as if borrowing money was the same as actually producing something of value.

More...

Great post, It. Ain't it the truth? I read the article and in some ways I envy our friend Greger in Florida who has already found his way to live outside the Crazy House. Not that it is easy, but it certainly promises to be more satisfying and less stressful in the future.

I too have found that I no longer identify or want to identify with was the nation was even 5 years ago. Good thing, as that train isn't coming back to the station. We all will have to make changes. The fortunate ones, I think will make voluntary changes as much as they possibly can. The powers that be and their hangers on will be the last to know as the pendulum is now swinging in the opposite direction.

#215545 - 03/07/12 12:12 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Yes, it is a good rant but frankly I am tired of "good rants". We have become a nation, a crazy house if you will, of people running around ranting about everything and everyone.

What I get from Sandy is that what we need is responsibility, not more ranting. Lets find and discuss reasonable solutions.

I remember as a child listening to what I then thought of as "old people" who just seemed cranky. I ignored them because there was not a drop of hope in anything they said. It is probably that way today with our youth.

The difficulty with the Crazy House rant is it speaks in extremes. Not all credit is bad and not all financial mechanisms are irresponsible. Most of us want to live in a world of some comfort and have some of the goodies available today.

Maybe the word I am urging is moderation. Let's talk but not AT each other, WITH each other.

#215548 - 03/07/12 12:22 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
but phil, when we collectively try to talk WITH one another, if we're not talking with our allies, members of the choir, then we end up in futile arguments. so how does one avoid talking WITH members of the choir and begin a fruitful conversation with opposing sides? frankly i gave it up a while back. didn't seem to do any good.

#215550 - 03/07/12 12:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: 2wins]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
2wins, there are plenty of differences of opinion within the Ranter fold. Take the "Crazy House" issue.

As I stated, I think this rant is too extreme and fails to offer a way forward. My guess is that Bob disagrees since he put up the leading article.

On the topic of the Holder announcement re: killing Americans, there are differences of opinion but the thread has devolved into the usual "police state" and "fascism" nonsense.

Tell me where we here, in this heavily protected zone, have had a real discussion with facts, reason and thoughtfulness.

#215556 - 03/07/12 12:51 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

well we do. but we also pepper the stark realities with humor. we sometimes devolve into absurdity as well. but i suppose while there are nuanced differences here, the more black and white differences that exist, well those are difficult to debate and solve with the "other side." frankly, look at ma r. we can tell him something a million ways to sunday, back it up with facts and he'll never concede. and to be fair, it works the other way around, but i don't see facts coming from the other side, i see innuendo and accusation. and, yes, you and i agree to disagree. but what are we to do to begin dialogue that would actually change anything? frankly, i don't have an answer.

#215558 - 03/07/12 01:00 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
Yes, it is a good rant but frankly I am tired of "good rants". We have become a nation, a crazy house if you will, of people running around ranting about everything and everyone.

What I get from Sandy is that what we need is responsibility, not more ranting. Lets find and discuss reasonable solutions.

I remember as a child listening to what I then thought of as "old people" who just seemed cranky. I ignored them because there was not a drop of hope in anything they said. It is probably that way today with our youth.

The difficulty with the Crazy House rant is it speaks in extremes. Not all credit is bad and not all financial mechanisms are irresponsible. Most of us want to live in a world of some comfort and have some of the goodies available today.

Maybe the word I am urging is moderation. Let's talk but not AT each other, WITH each other.

I hear you, brother, and it is in my mind pretty cool that the discussion is progressing. That's not a bad thing at all. We all have hot buttons, though I know that most of us are trying to lessen their number and/or cool them down. It would surprise me if anyone would not agree that the world is wrapped in a cloud of angst, these days. It seems everyone agrees there are massive and numerous problems that we are facing or will face. But to date we can't all seem to agree on what the problems are or magnitude of problems. Solutions are even less obvious. So people rant, the world rants. Solutions will come. Most often incrementally and they will come from all of us.

When you have a solution or part of a solution, share it, man.

Apathy and willful ignorance bother me more than anything.

#215559 - 03/07/12 01:04 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Phil Hoskins]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
When I first looked at the title of this thread, what immediately went through my mind was, "Welcome to the United States."

Shows the way my mind works. · · wink

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins

Lets find and discuss reasonable solutions.
Oh, delusive American optimism!!
What people need to learn is that sometimes there are no reasonable solutions -- sometimes there are no solutions at all !!
The rot has gone so far that there is no solution to America's ills within the present Constitutional system. When people finally learn this very simple lesson, then some of the serious problems of America may be solved -- certainly not until then.

Quote:

Most of us want to live in a world of some comfort and have some of the goodies available today.

We don't always get what we want.

#215561 - 03/07/12 01:08 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

oh look, numan is contributing to the solution again. wink

#215564 - 03/07/12 01:16 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Here are some proposed solutions (links to follow) - community banking, sustainable agriculture/urban farming, microbanking and microinvestment, Glass-Steagall redux, mutual insurance, renewable energy.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#215569 - 03/07/12 01:52 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: NW Ponderer]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: 2wins

oh look, numan is contributing to the solution again. wink
Yes, of course I am -- and have :

http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=198985#Post198985

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Here are some proposed solutions (links to follow) - community banking, sustainable agriculture/urban farming, microbanking and microinvestment, Glass-Steagall redux, mutual insurance, renewable energy.

These programs are all admirable in themselves, but they will always be sabotaged by your rulers as soon as they show any real possibility of making any fundamental change to the American System of Misrule.

You are laboring under the ridiculous delusion, disproved over and over again, that you -- or anyone other than the Oligarchs -- have any substantial power under the present system of government in America.

#215573 - 03/07/12 02:30 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Numan~Your post of:
Quote:
You are laboring under the ridiculous delusion, disproved over and over again, that you -- or anyone other than the Oligarchs -- have any substantial power under the present system of government in America.

You are delusional yourself, if you think that the United States of America is the only country suffering under oligarchy. We are just not so subtle about it, as we are newer at it than the Europeans, Asians and Middle Easterners(I may have missed a region or two). Money has always been the force that makes the world go 'round, ever since Man found shiny pebbles. Governments and their leaders have risen and fallen, but the theme is always the same, Gather as much money, land and power as possible so that one can control the populace. There are sometimes other minor factors, like bullying, bribery or just outright violence, but the end game is the same. Sometimes we(the populace) just deal with it in slightly different ways.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#215575 - 03/07/12 02:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: numan
These programs are all admirable in themselves, but they will always be sabotaged by your rulers as soon as they show any real possibility of making any fundamental change to the American System of Misrule....
whine, whine, whine.... If you can't contribute to the solution (and you're not), sit down, be quiet, and don't get in the way!

#215577 - 03/07/12 02:58 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Some links that now follow:
RE: microbanking and microinvestment
Micro Loans, Solid Returns - BusinessWeek e.g. Microplace.com; Kiva
Cambrian House - crowdsourcing

Growing Power - sustainable agriculture/urban farming; Edible Forest Gardens; Plant an Edible Forest Garden; Permaculture Institute

community banking: New Rules Project; Independent Community Bankers of America

What is exciting about these initiatives, and why pooh-poohing is a weak and indefensible position, is that they are local and sustainable. If we want solutions, they clearly are not going to come from the top.

#215579 - 03/07/12 03:11 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

We support local in everyway we can. It is my belief that local is and will be the solution to many issues. As individuals we have become disconnected from the nation in many ways. We are more cognizant of who we are and how our behavior directly affects others when we support everyone locally.

#215586 - 03/07/12 04:06 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: NW Ponderer]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
whine, whine, whine.... If you can't contribute to the solution (and you're not), sit down, be quiet, and don't get in the way!

Whine, whine, whine yourself, NWP.
Yes, studiously ignore the contributions I have already made

http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=198985#Post198985

and, because I do not agree with you, shout at me to shut up.

Continue in this vein, and some people might begin to think that your persona of sweet reasonableness is but a hollow shell.

#215587 - 03/07/12 04:17 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Your magnanimity knows no bounds.
No doubt the percipient reader has been struck dumb by awe that such an elegantly simple, yet profoundly subtle, solution can exist to all our political, social, and economic problems. In my mind's eye I see my respected reader sitting motionless before his or her monitor, thunderstruck that the privilege has befallen them to be the witness of a conception so vast and noble that it seems to be an emanation from the mind of a deity.

We have been struck dumb not by being in awe of your perspicacity, but because we are having trouble holding our lunches down. It is truly indicative of the idiocies you espouse that in that entire thread you ended up talking to yourself 99+ percent of the time because no one else had the slightest care to try to debate your ideas. Why? Perhaps because of the quote just above. Your megalomania does not allow you to enter into true debate, only into waving your little flag and talking about how awe-inspiring your mind is. Make some sense and perhaps people will talk about your ideas. But when you throw out nonsense such as you did in that thread you will get no takers. There is empirical evidence to support this because no one wanted to talk with you or debate with you about your ideas, which only you seem to have been so awe-inspiring as to project dumbness on those who read them.

#215588 - 03/07/12 04:37 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Scoutgal]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: Scoutgal

You are delusional yourself, if you think that the United States of America is the only country suffering under oligarchy.

Well, since the protasis of this inference is false, by the laws of logic, the apoodosis must necessarily be false.

I definitely do not think that the United States is the only country suffering under oligarchy -- nor do I single out the USA as being detestable on this count -- though, perhaps, it might deserve some obloquy on the grounds that its Oligarchy is more criminal, irrational and greedy than the oligarchies found in the civilized nations of the world.

What I truly reprehend about America and most Americans is the hypocrisy and lying that is done about the subject -- as with so many other matters in the USA. Hypocrisy and lying are universal, but, My God! what an addiction most Americans have to them! Hypocrisy and lying, lying, lying! It seems that Americans are constantly lying, both to others, and even more dangerously, to themselves!! I think a good case might be made for the proposition that there is more lying going on in the United States than in all the rest of the world put together!!

Moreover, the reason that I harp on this is because I am vividly aware how dangerous and damaging all this hypocrisy and lying are. There is no way that Americans can solve their problems until they toss away their vanity and courageously face up to all their hypocrisy and lying -- and if ye will not enter through this gateway to salvation, abandon hope!!

#215597 - 03/07/12 05:32 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Ted Remington]
numan Offline
veteran

'

Originally Posted By: Ted Remington
...no one else had the slightest care to try to debate your ideas. Why?....Your megalomania does not allow you to enter into true debate, only into waving your little flag and talking about how awe-inspiring your mind is.

Ted, what you, with your usual lack of perspicacity, call my megalomania is simply a rhetorical device to discourage people with small minds and unworthy motives from intruding where they do not belong. Obviously, there are few people with adequate intelligence, education and purity of character who are capable of forming a just conception of the ideas I have set down in my link. But, here and there, those whose eyes are but lightly covered with dust may chance upon my thread. It for for them that I write, not for the vulgus mobile.
Such people will have the nous to look down into the content of what I have written, and will not be put off by a certain deliberate surface roughness which those of inadequate mentality and low character will find offensive -- because their pitifully inadequate sense of self-worth renders them incapable of appreciating high ideas and noble motives.

Edited by numan (03/07/12 05:40 PM)

#215600 - 03/07/12 05:48 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Delivery, numan, delivery...<sigh> Do you remember the saying that you catch more lies with honey than vinegar? You should try it. And most people are more intelligent than you give them credit for, but they can't hear you with their fingers in their ears.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#215624 - 03/07/12 09:05 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Sandune]
Sandune Offline

I have found it necessary to stand up for several minorities in general and women in particular. The internet opened up a large hole in respecting the women in America. When I was working to bring the breast cancer uneven care done in America, I hit head on with a group of Conservatives on a site called Patriots. It was headed by a Special Services Patriot who opened the site for Veterans who had fought for America in any number of wars. I came from a family of veterans and joined in with a number of fairly good writers. All were Christians with a blatant lack of respect for women. I had never known a group like this and I admit I pushed them to see how far they would go to degrade women and they went whole hog. It was my first view of the new Conservative group who showed a lack of class so horrific that I was stunned.

Three of those rude men joined up at Reader Rant. One died, one decided to work full time for Evangelical laws and the last one is still here.

Two weeks ago Rush Limbaugh exploded in a rash of insults and terrible slanderous attacks on a young law student and not a single Conservative anywhere including R.R. stood up for this young lady. More than just the spineless Ranters the entire 4 Republican Candidates shook in their boots rather than put Limbaugh in his place. Rush opened a can of worms and shown a spot light on the greatest weakness the Republican Party has even seen.

The Conservatives here and everywhere wander around like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming army of tanks. Conservatives are devoid of manners and class. They actually believe they can lead America. Most of the nations are laughing their asses off at what they see in American values under this religious group of fools. Conservatives are nothing more than ignorant hillbillies trying to look like leaders. They actually believe their ignorance can be covered up by religion. They quake when Rush speaks but they haven’t the spine to sit down and figure out how to work with Iran. Too much television has removed the class from these men and if it wasn’t so tragic it might just be funny.

The pile-on I went through at Patriots closed down the site and I received many apologies from the owner. The others have not a single clue what they represent when they post opinions on the forums. It is a simple game to the remaining Patriot here. I called him a hick and Scout demanded that I remove this name. If she had a clue what I was called at Patriots, she would be in a state of shock. This man goes through years of insulting others; even those who have agreed with him. When an American can rant on and on in a manner that insults another person and cannot explain where he gets the position in life to do this, that makes him a hick.

I’m tired of defending Conservatives. They don’t deserve it. They take pride in slandering our President and the minorities. They are ignorant mannerless hicks and they all deserve to lose whatever position they think they deserve. Running any of them for political positions would require years of training in proper protocol. The most obvious hick running currently is the spineless Gov. Romney. Money does not erase being a hillbilly at heart. His mother forgot to teach him manners and respect for women. The only real man who wears the Conservative label is Ron Paul.

Christians seem to feel they do not need good manners as whatever harm they bring to others can be cleansed by begging for forgiveness. This is class warfare. This will destroy all levels of American values and they all need to lose every race they enter. Will the young Conservative mothers like Sarah Palin work on learning their manners? Ha, ha, ha.

#215628 - 03/07/12 09:29 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Wait a minnit. I thought I knew all the answers. I don’t even know the questions. But there is one thing that puzzles me greatly. And that is- are we are slaves to our DNA- and at the same time to our cultural upbringing? Or is there more to that story?
None of us can escape both heritages. So where do we go from there?

Edited by Ken Hill (03/07/12 09:30 PM)

#215679 - 03/08/12 09:51 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Sandune Offline

Ken, it seems that we are at the advantage of the media. I broke from my cultural upbringing and my DNA has me dead 2 years ago. We are humans with an enormous ability to be individuals. I had a cousin kill himself on Saturday. We were raised together and took our first drink and shared a cigarette at 10. We swam all the northern lakes and I could still beat him in a race between the docks. His father and my mother ended up dying from alcoholism a dozen years ago. The difference is that I walked away from the church who wanted to direct my every move and I never again took another drink. I was aware of what was killing both sides of my family. Larry fell head long into a life as a hopeless drunk. He thought he could be forgiven for his terrible actions and the day (Saturday) he knew he could not, he gave himself the final heroin shot. The whole family is reeling over this but many nod knowing it was in his blood.

We can escape our heritages. It is our duty to open the minds of our children that they too are driven by individual reason and logic.

I pulled out my CD on the Resurrection by Mahler and the choral part is astoundingly beautiful.

#215682 - 03/08/12 10:02 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
Quote:
But, here and there, those whose eyes are but lightly covered with dust may chance upon my thread. It for for them that I write, not for the vulgus mobile.

Numan, I truly thank you for this. I knew that the word "Mob"
originally came from "mobile" in some way or another but I've never come across an actual reference as to the etymology.

I'm a word lover and this bit of information has made my day.

#215700 - 03/08/12 12:47 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
You are very welcome, Greger.
It is amusing that in the Latin phrase, vulgus mobile, "the fickle crowd," vulgus means the crowd or herd, and mobile is the adjective -- so that, more properly, the "gang" should be called the "vulgus" (or shortened, perhaps the "vulg").
The view which I expressed in your quote, along with the proper usage of "vulgus," occurs in the ever delightful and enchanting verses of the greatest Roman poet, Horace :

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo;
Favete linguis; carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

"I hate the unholy crowd and ward them off;
Cease your ill-omened chatter; melodies never heard before
I, the sacred priest of the Muses,
Now sing to those who are pure in heart."
---Horace, Odes, III i:1

#215702 - 03/08/12 12:48 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Renewable energy: Campaign Earth
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (an actual government organization!)

#215734 - 03/08/12 04:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

numan, I will give credit where credit is due. You sure do know how to kill a thread. Make a "contribution"? Hardly.

#215783 - 03/09/12 12:58 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pardon me if you will as a I skip over the numan's threads. Read one, read them all.

I'm much more interested in solutions that I am hearing about how it is all America's fault. In fact the U.S. must share a great deal of the blame. How do we mitigate the mistakes and what shall we do to create a better future? I am most interested in that.

I must say I am often encouraged by the men and women I meet who have recently been discharged from the military. Wow! The are well trained, bright, mature and they seem to have a desire to want to change the system for the better at local, state and national levels. They don't want to drop out as so many of us did after Vietnam. This people give me hope.

On another note, as I said earlier, we buy local. When you do business locally it strengthens the community and enhances your since of place.

Recently I needed pants hemmed in a hurry. As I work downtown Phoenix it would be easier to find a seamstress near my office. Everyone said they could do it next week and I needed it done in 2 days. One the phone after a web search I found a lady whose little business was less than 10 minutes from my house. We live 30 minutes from Phoenix in a quiet semi-farming community. She closed at 5.30, but she said she wait for me until 6.15 PM. Imagine someone doing that in Phoenix. LOL!

She was a delightful little Mexican-American woman. We chatted about the community and we talked about a restaurant owner we both know. Now I have another friend I know in my community. We take out dry cleaning to her now.

We buy from two coop farms. The farms are 15 minutes away. We have met the farmers. We know they grow organic. One farmer delivers once a week to a local yoga place. My wife began taking yoga there. She met a local lady who teaches raw food and vegan cooking. My wife has taken classes from her. The lady who stays with our dogs when we are away buys from the coop. It is how we met her.

One of the farms now has a quarterly, semi-annual and annual member program where for a set amount of money you get a share of the harvest. The always plant a little experimental vegetables so that we have the opportunity to try something new.

It's local and the money stays as local as we can spent it. The value derived is much great than the money we spend. And in most cases the money we spend is less than it would be in Phoenix.

#215784 - 03/09/12 01:08 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

that is about the way it will work, mick. the only component to this picture missing is local and regional production. it is my hope that some day we can see local and regional manufacturing, producing needed goods that can be purchased locally at a reasonable price and if there is a demand to send it elsewhere, well then more power to them.

#215785 - 03/09/12 01:31 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: 2wins]
Greger Offline
veteran

That's a tough one, 2wins. Our need for manufactured goods is incredibly diverse and the machinery to produce most of it is incredibly expensive. But my hopes, just like yours, if there is to be a silver lining to this cloud, is to see local economies grow and as little as possible invested into imported corporate goods.

#215787 - 03/09/12 02:01 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

indeed. not everything could be manufactured locally, but then that is not my vision. i would like to see a return to bottling plants - that would remove us from plastic - and there are goods and services that could be produced. clothing, furniture, and so forth could be done on a regional scale. the trick is, however, that folks would have to pay the true cost of goods. that means we don't have a bunch of stuff, but rather we would have just enough of the quality goods. at any rate, it's just a thought. perhaps one day in the future it could happen, but as things stand it's a pipe dream.

#215789 - 03/09/12 02:13 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: 2wins]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

2wins:

I too would like to see a return to plants that bottle soft drinks. I remember 50 years ago at the local VFD when the Coke machine had the recycled bottles, a nickel apiece for the drinks from the machines. And every bottle had the name of a city on the bottom, mostly Alexandria, VA because that was where the local Co'Cola bottler was. But there were also ones from Atlanta, Kansas City, Chicago, and if you were really really lucky from Denver.

But those days are gone. Glass bottles are heavy, they needed a lot of handling to recycle, having to charge and redeem deposits on the bottles, transport back to the bottling company, the hassle of cleaning, etc., etc. Plastic appeared for one reason: competition. Sur eit kept the prices down, but damn it is so impersonal in some way. I was a 16-y-o then and I remember thinking that anyone, even the President or maybe even Harmon Killebrew or Ted Williams might have handled that bottle before I did.

It is, as you said, a pipe dream. Unfortunately.

#215791 - 03/09/12 03:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
2wins Offline
veteran

plastic is poison. if we do not curve back our production of plastic we will sorely regret it one day. plastic does have applications but the mass production of it works hand in hand with humanity's glutenous mentality.

#215793 - 03/09/12 03:29 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Ted Remington]
Greger Offline
veteran

Not all of it is a pipe dream. Food products will be first. I'm working on a piece of custom furniture right now, regrettably it's a stand for a huge television, but it's a matter of baby steps.
Everyone remembers the simpler times fondly, more and more people are returning, in some fashion, to them.

#215795 - 03/09/12 03:55 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: Greger
Not all of it is a pipe dream. Food products will be first. I'm working on a piece of custom furniture right now, regrettably it's a stand for a huge television, but it's a matter of baby steps.
Everyone remembers the simpler times fondly, more and more people are returning, in some fashion, to them.

If you were "really serious" about your nostalgic return to fondly remembered past, you would not be making a TV stand, but an cabinet with doors and elaborate wood inlay

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#215797 - 03/09/12 04:14 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Indeed we need local production. I too believe it starts with food and services. Maybe there is data available, I don't know, but I wonder if buying from locally owned is increasing nationally. I have no idea. To me it remains amazing that so many people continue to prefer chain restaurants when they eat out. We rarely do.

Greger, there is a guy not too far away that make lodge poll furniture. It's a Southwestern thing. When we bought guest room furniture, we bought from him. The cool thing is we have it made a bit differently. I wanted to have a chair made that was about 8 inches wider than his regular lodge poll chair so that it could also be used for a suitcase stand. When we first talked about it. He asked me why I wanted a wider chair. I said, "For my mother-in-law." We both laughed about it. I then explained the real reason. He has listed it in his catalogue for years as a "Mother-in-Law" chair, wide seat.

I enjoy working with tile. Tile inlaid wrought iron table are expensive a hell. I found a local guy who makes and will sell me the table I want with a lip 1/2 deep so that I can cut plywood to fit the top and then cut and lay the ceramic tile top. I very much enjoy doing that. There is a patio and pool business here that agreed to sell on consignment and perhaps more if they the price is right. I'm not ready to do that yet. Hopefully later this summer when I retire. If I can make a little money and have fun doing it that would be grand.

Simpler times is how we all grew up.

#215801 - 03/09/12 04:57 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Slipped Mickey]
2wins Offline
veteran

Quote:
Maybe there is data available, I don't know, but I wonder if buying from locally owned is increasing nationally.
at the very least, anecdotely, it's a national trend, albeit, not a fast moving trend. from a food standpoint, however, it is enough of a trend that wally world sells local/regional foods. the labels tell you where the food is from, typically no more than 75 miles out.

#215803 - 03/09/12 05:03 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: 2wins]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: 2wins
i would like to see a return to bottling plants - that would remove us from plastic - and there are goods and services that could be produced. clothing, furniture, and so forth could be done on a regional scale. the trick is, however, that folks would have to pay the true cost of goods. that means we don't have a bunch of stuff, but rather we would have just enough of the quality goods. at any rate, it's just a thought. perhaps one day in the future it could happen, but as things stand it's a pipe dream.
Emphasis added.

It must remain a pipe dream as long as the present US Constitution exists.

It will become a dream realized only when mega-corporate, monopoly capitalism is destroyed or rigorously regulated -- and is whipped to within an inch of its life when it is socially irresponsible.

Edited by numan (03/09/12 05:47 PM)

#215839 - 03/10/12 09:56 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
itstarted Offline
old hand

I gather that we more or less agree that we should look for solutions at the same time we we scream at the iniquities.

Solutions come in bits and pieces, don't they? There are those who see a sweeping resolution of problems that will come from a "Second Coming", and those who see naught but "Doomsday".

My own feeling is that, as we creep forward, we need some kind of broad overview that might offer a direction of travel, rather than hundreds of narrow minded individual "fixes", that are mutually incongruent. In other words, a framework rather than a patchwork repair.

Personally, I don't have time or inclination to run down every nuanced change of law or implementation of a new regulation.

In stead of a bottom up approach, a "top down" operation. An ideal that begins with a rationalized goal... that can be changed on piece by piece basis so as not to lose the ultimate intent.

So here's where my own logic takes me.

1. A return to a confederation.

2. The CESJ "Third Way" model,which brings in three major points:
---a. Binary Economics
---b. Capital Homesteading
---c. Justice based management
...and The implicit smooth transition from today's government
and economic structure.

There is little interest here on RR for this, and that is understandable, since this is not the simple solution that most would prefer.

So for the most part, I keep my own counsel in this, except for an occasional reminder that it exists. The movement is mostly an intellectual exercise, but is actually beginning to see some movement in less recognized emerging and dysfunctional nations.

So as to simply ranting and complaining, that some see as just curmudgeonly critiques without hope, my own thoughts go to a broader solution.

#215845 - 03/10/12 11:21 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline
veteran

Its, I wish we could consider a much broader solution. But you and I both know that broad solutions, big changes, and in deference to numan's pet peeve, a new constitution, are things that simply are not going to happen. The solution is not bottom up or top down but local. We, you and I and the rest of us here have litle power to even help to make sweeping changes, but we can change our own lives, help to change our neighborhoods, be a part of changing our communities, beyond that it is practically out of our hands'
Very simply put, as far as it is possible, eat local food, buy what you need locally and avoid, as best we can, putting money in the hands of big corporations.

#215848 - 03/10/12 11:32 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
itstarted Offline
old hand

A comparison
That few will read, but which outlines the differences.

A QUICK COMPARISON OF CAPITALISM, SOCIALISM AND THE "JUST THIRD WAY"

This is not very far from the kind of return to "local" that many of the most recent posts have brought in as a better way of doing things... but in a "think tank" of respected scholars, with a serious coordinated and "structured" approach.

"The longest journey starts with the first small step."

sitemap

current blogs

#215852 - 03/10/12 12:15 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

A comparison

This is not very far from the kind of return to "local" that many of the most recent posts have brought in as a better way of doing things... but in a "think tank" of respected scholars, with a serious coordinated and "structured" approach.

sitemap

current blogs

I like it!

#215854 - 03/10/12 12:28 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
I like it!

Of course you like it, Mick, what's not to like? This spells out a virtual Utopia. Achieving this is what's a real sumbitch. Corporations don't want it, the ruling elites don't want it.

#215856 - 03/10/12 12:38 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Here is an action to take, if you are so inclined:
Quote:
Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)
In 2009, New Mexican lawmakers passed two bills that allowed counties in the state to create financing programs to support renewable development for home and building owners. These programs allow counties in New Mexico to create renewable energy financing districts and fund them by issuing bonds or securing other financing. Home and building owners opting in to the programs can fund their clean energy projects with little or no up-front money.

In a July 2010 a directive from the Federal Housing Finance Authority (FHFA) ordered Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to not underwrite or purchase any mortgages on homes that had gotten PACE funding. This essentially stalled PACE.

A California superior court has ordered the FHFA to open up for public commentary on this ‘rule.’ This is a chance for those of us interested in energy and sustainability to take some action on PACE.

We can take action by writing public comments to the FHFA!. You can add your voice to make the FHFA reconsider, and hopefully repeal, this directive against PACE.

Comments must be received by March 26, 2012.

TIPS FOR WRITING A COMMENT
It is VITAL that you use your own voice, and write in your own words. Comments that are simply form letters get lumped together as if they were one. Comments that are unique, give a part of a personal story, are polite, and well reasoned will get attention. As of 3/9/2012, only 68 comments have been submitted.

FOR PACE TO HAVE A CHANCE, WE NEED MORE TO MAKE A COMPELLING CASE TO THE FHFA!

You can read what other people have said here:
http://www.fhfa.gov/Default.aspx?Page=8 ... tBy=#21591

Structure your comment to include these points – they do not have to be in this order, just make sure you have points that address them.
a). Your comment should incorporate a strong rationale for PACE.
The FHFA is required by law to take the public interest into account when formulating regulations.
Speak from your own experience of living here in the southwest, how perfect it is for solar and how much benefit that would be for our region because of:
Job creation and economic development; Energy independence; Energy Security; Environmental security

b). Make the argument that PACE assessments are valid county/local benefit assessments.
As of right now, 27 states and the District of Columbia have passed valid and unchallenged laws giving municipalities the right to create PACE benefit districts, with the specific purpose of financing energy efficiency projects. Such municipal assessments are common. For example there have been special assessments available in California dating back to 1911 to help prevent geological damage (earthquake, flood, etc).

c). Point out that energy improvements actually make the people who get them more financially capable – in terms of reducing energy costs, stabilizing utility costs, tax rebates, etc.

d). Note that in our area, energy improvements ALWAYS increase the value of the house – so there is NO chance of a valid Clean Energy Improvement decreasing property value.

Two ways to comment:
Email: You can send your comments via email to FHFA General Counsel Alfred M. Pollard. The email address is: RegComments@fhfa.gov. It is important to include “RIN 2590&#8208;AA53” in the subject line of the message.

Online: Enter comment directly, or upload a file using the Federal eRulemaking Portal
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDe ... -0003-0001

Using the Federal portal will allow other interested people to read your comments. After you use it, be sure to also email comments to Mr. Pollard at RegComments@fhfa.gov using “RIN 2590&#8208;AA53” as the subject.

#215866 - 03/10/12 01:15 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'

Solutions come in bits and pieces, don't they?

No, they don't.

Ever since the French Revolution, real change, both for the world and for individual nations, has come only after painful and shattering convulsions -- and in a crescendo, with each succeeding convulsion more wracking than the previous ones.

I don't like it any more than you do, but these are the facts, and it is childish and inane to pretend that it isn't so.

#215868 - 03/10/12 02:22 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

'

Solutions come in bits and pieces, don't they?

No, they don't.

Ever since the French Revolution, real change, both for the world and for individual nations, has come only after painful and shattering convulsions -- and in a crescendo, with each succeeding convulsion more wracking than the previous ones.

I don't like it any more than you do, but these are the facts, and it is childish and inane to pretend that it isn't so.

If Americans had all their toys taken away from them, then they might actually pay attention to what makes life worth living -- the Life of the Mind and Spirit.

I'm about to go on eBay to look for a good deal on self-realization. I heard there is a "buy it now" bargain up in British Columbia on how to clear your mind of everything but a perverse obsession over seeing the U.S. of A. fail like a Frenchman. The title is "The Life of the Mind and Spirit" by some character who calls hisself NUMAN! Uh-oh, looks like the seller feedback sucks... maybe I'll buy another Zane Grey book, or something instead.

#215884 - 03/10/12 06:04 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
Slipped Mickey Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
I like it!

Of course you like it, Mick, what's not to like? This spells out a virtual Utopia. Achieving this is what's a real sumbitch. Corporations don't want it, the ruling elites don't want it.

LOL! Sorry for the very short three word response to my friend It's post. I was rushing out the door to spend the day at an art and food festival with Ms. Mickey. She was chomping at the bits, and my bits as well, to get there before everyone else found a place to park. I suspect she wanted a good seat in the beer and wine area, that couldn't have been all bad.

Most of the vendors were from Arizona, California and New Mexico. There was one guy with a food concession from Montana who sold BBQ and had a posted special, "We Got the Bastard bin Laden Special". How could anyone resist? LOL! ROTFMOL

Imagine that in the deep South. White church wimmins would be appalled. "There are children here! That foul language is unacceptable."

"Thank you ma'am for your comments. Would you like your "We Got the Bastard bin Laden" special regular or really wide to match your mouth?"

In the background Big Pete Pearson - a world class bluesman from Arizona, albums are No.1 on the Blues charts in Europe - was singing:

"Hey baby! I want to ride in your automobile
Hey mama, I want to ride in your automobile
But, I ain't gonna ride with you baby
You got too many drivers at the wheel"

God bless Arizona!

Fairly local, it was.

I have been familiar with the Just Third Way for several years. I very much like it. I've followed Just 3rd Way advocates and writers for a while now. It was good to see someone I respect, such as It, recommend it as a possible system for the future.

Easy to implement? Oh, hell no! I'd quote it if I could find it, but just yesterday I read where a national poll found that the number one election issued identified from survey respondents was gasoline prices! I'm serious as a heart attack. That is what was reported, 77% said the major election issue was gas prices!

We are well and truly fecked! But, Ranters know that. So then, how in the name of all things holy could we possibly expect to even discuss, regionally or nationally, the implementation of a system such as the Just 3rd Way?

America unfortunately has the collective IQ of a large eggplant. They want to be led. They want someone to do democracy for them, as ironic as that is. Actually, they probably wouldn't understand understand the irony.

I envision the Just 3rd Way as a goal, something possible, something that is plausible when raw capitalism fails, as it will.

#215891 - 03/10/12 07:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Slipped Mickey]
Greger Offline
veteran

I'm with yall on that. all that localisation will eventually lead to something larger, a new way of thinking, a new way of living and a less tolerant attitude toward the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie. They really don't have the ability to lord over us anymore unless we choose to let them.

#215894 - 03/10/12 08:05 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

I'm with yall on that. all that localisation will eventually lead to something larger, a new way of thinking, a new way of living and a less tolerant attitude toward the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie. They really don't have the ability to lord over us anymore unless we choose to let them.

Does that mean you sent comments in on the PACE issue? PACE is a local program that pays the upfront costs for alternative energy upgrades on residences with the payback happening via a property tax assessment. Costs are usually designed to be somewhat less than the energy savings, so the property owner pays essentially nothing. When the tax assessment is paid off, the residence accrues the financial benefit of the continuing energy savings. It is not a subsidy or a giveaway, Ma_R might even support it! For some reason, an executive order was issued prohibiting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans from going to properties enrolled in PACE. That's stupid and needs to go away.

#215896 - 03/10/12 08:34 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: logtroll]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: logtroll

I'm about to go on eBay to look for a good deal on self-realization. I heard there is a "buy it now" bargain....

You do indeed think like an American.

#215898 - 03/10/12 09:06 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Thankee! ThumbsUp

#215903 - 03/10/12 09:51 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline
veteran

Personally I'd be kinda surprised if you thought like a Chinaman or a Dutchy or somesuch.

#215918 - 03/11/12 01:26 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Maybe the emphasis was wrong: You think. Like an American.

#215924 - 03/11/12 09:55 AM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
logtroll Offline
old hand

A comparison

sitemap

current blogs

My question is this - do you just want to play at an intellectual exercise, or do you want to take some small steps? Hmm

PACE financing

#215931 - 03/11/12 01:30 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'

I'm about to go on eBay to look for a good deal on self-realization. I heard there is a "buy it now" bargain....

I have met a lot of people, even here in Canada, who imagine that they can buy realization, or find it in some easily digestible form. It will never happen.

For one thing, you have to be honest, and that is an area in which most Americans have a big disadvantage.

#215934 - 03/11/12 01:43 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

'

I have met a lot of people, even here in Canada, who imagine that they can buy realization, or find it in some easily digestible form. It will never happen.

For one thing, you have to be honest, and that is an area in which most Americans have a big disadvantage.

Now yer homing in on it, NUMAN!

The puzzle, to be honest, is why a higher being luxuriating in the lap of enlightenment would waste its time indulging in a perverse decades long obsession with mind numbing generic demean-tia of a country?

My twelve step self-realization primer (found it for 10 cents at Bargain Books and Tapes) tells me that such pathological identification with negativity contraindicates a oneness with truth and beauty.

What sayeth thou, Swami NUMAN!?

#215937 - 03/11/12 01:51 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'

Well, Logy, since you appear to be in the grip of the same obsession, you can answer your own question.

#215943 - 03/11/12 02:11 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

'

Well, Logy, since you appear to be in the grip of the same obsession, you can answer your own question.

Uh-oh... yer pulling the "see the monkey" trick, ain't ya?

Quick poll, Ranters:

Are NUMAN! and Logtroll in the grip of the same obsession? Hmm
(see Logtroll's description of the obsession in question in an above post)

I'll start off - I don't think so! nono

#215955 - 03/11/12 02:57 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
"...show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure. Now this overdone, or come tardy off, though it make the unskillful laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve, the censure of which,

one, ·

must in your allowance o'erweigh a whole theatre of others."
---Hamlet, III:2

#215958 - 03/11/12 03:22 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

A Little Scraping

True, the time, to one who does not love farce,
And if misery must be prefers it nobler, shows apparent vices;
At least it provides the cure for ambition.
One does not crave power in ant-hills, nor praise in a paper forest;
One must not even indulge the severe
Romance of separateness, as of Milton grown blind and old
In his broken temple against the drunkards:
The ants are good creatures, there is nothing to be heroic about.
But the time is not a strong prison either.
A little scraping the walls of dishonest contractor's concrete
Through a shower of chips and sand makes freedom.
Shake the dust from your hair. This mountain sea-coast is real,
For it reaches out far into past and future;
It is part of the great and timeless excellence of things. A few
Lean cows drift high up the bronze hill;
The heavy-necked plow-team furrows the foreland, gulls tread the furrow;
Time ebbs and flows but the rock remains.
Two riders of tired horses canter on the cloudy ridge;
Topaz-eyed hawks have the white air;
Or a woman with jade-pale eyes, hiding a knife in her hand,
Goes through cold rain over gray grass.
God is here, too, secretly smiling, the beautiful power
That piles up cities for the poem of their fall
And gathers multitude like game to be hunted when the season comes.

Robinson Jeffers

#216017 - 03/12/12 03:37 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Ah, Issodhos, you appreciate the poetry of Robinson Jeffers! That definitely makes you my friend!

He is one of the greatest poets that America has produced, and so, true to their taste for the tawdry and vile, Americans do not value him -- save for, here and there, the grieving judicious.

"God is here, too, secretly smiling, the beautiful power
That piles up cities for the poem of their fall
And gathers multitude like game to be hunted when the season comes."

This God is, of course, the pagan god of This World. Both Scoutgal and I, in our different ways, imagine another God, one not of This World, or, at least, dwelling unseen in the interstices of thing, working in the intervals -- unseen, except by those who know that behind the radiant harmony of the Good, the True, and the Beautiful there dwells a One.

#216019 - 03/12/12 03:57 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Numan, I had no idea you were of the Christian faith! Fair enough, but please, I won't disparage your Christian God, if you will kindly respect my Pagan Gods.

#216026 - 03/12/12 04:37 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Greger, you have destroyed one of my few remaining illusions (So, thank you -- I always thank people who destroy my illusions). I always thought you were one of the few Americans whose memories are not as full of holes as swiss cheese.
I have stated over and over that the word "God" is meaningless to me, and I never use the word except as a metaphor -- and here you are making the mistake of taking me literally!!

There are plenty of people -- at least in the elevated realms where I move and live and have my being -- who understand that the Good, the True and the Beautiful reveal a Reality far grander than the petty, warped notions of divinity vainly imagined by most of the human race.

#216043 - 03/12/12 07:05 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

'
He is one of the greatest poets that America has produced, ...[/b]

Indeed -- he was one of those rare poets who did not overly mask the Poetry when applying words to it -- though some cheapening was and is inevitable.
Issodhos

Edited by issodhos (03/12/12 07:07 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#216045 - 03/12/12 07:15 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: issodhos]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

By the way, It was in a small-town library where I first discovered a book of his works sitting on a shelf in a back corner on the second floor overlooking the main floor. It was in the 80's, if I recall correctly. I was quite impressed with the selection of books to be found there, and suspect there are occassional country librarians that have a rebellious streak in them that moves them to acquire the finer gems available regardless of general lack of popularity.

#216049 - 03/12/12 07:30 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Sandune]
Golem Offline

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Originally Posted By: Sandune
Two weeks ago Rush Limbaugh exploded in a rash of insults and terrible slanderous attacks on a young law student and not a single Conservative anywhere including R.R. stood up for this young lady.

If I'd been here, I would have condemned Rush in no uncertain terms - as I did on several other forums.

However, I would not have stood up for Ms. Fluke because I don't buy into this "brave young woman" excrement. She's a political operative. Period.

#216050 - 03/12/12 07:37 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Quote:
Greger, you have destroyed one of my few remaining illusions

Sorry, numy, you were just so sincere in your statement about the one true god and agreeing in sentiment with a known Christian that I thought it was a revelation of some sort...

But don't fret about the Pagan gods, they have suffered worse onslaughts than yours and have managed to survive.

#216052 - 03/12/12 07:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Golem]
Greger Offline
veteran

Welcome to ReaderRant, Golem! From the looks of things we'll have a grand time arguing and fussing about all manner of things.

#216063 - 03/12/12 08:00 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Golem]
2wins Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Golem
Originally Posted By: Sandune
Two weeks ago Rush Limbaugh exploded in a rash of insults and terrible slanderous attacks on a young law student and not a single Conservative anywhere including R.R. stood up for this young lady.

If I'd been here, I would have condemned Rush in no uncertain terms - as I did on several other forums.

However, I would not have stood up for Ms. Fluke because I don't buy into this "brave young woman" excrement. She's a political operative. Period.
in the end we're all either political operatives or political fodder. take yer pick. she had something valid to say, whether one is agree with it or not.

#216072 - 03/12/12 08:26 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
old hand

... But don't fret about the Pagan gods, they have suffered worse onslaughts than yours and have managed to survive.

Real gods always survive, it's in their job description.

#216085 - 03/12/12 10:06 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
Golem Offline

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Welcome to ReaderRant, Golem! From the looks of things we'll have a grand time arguing and fussing about all manner of things.

I appreciate your welcome, Greger. smile

#216306 - 03/14/12 02:52 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: issodhos]
numan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: issodhos

He is one of the greatest poets that America has produced, ...
Indeed -- he was one of those rare poets who did not overly mask the Poetry when applying words to it -- though some cheapening was and is inevitable.

Well, of course, Issodhos, that goes without saying. After all, he was American.

#216321 - 03/14/12 04:19 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Well, of course, Issodhos, that goes without saying. After all, he was American.

Proud of yourself, numan? Found another thread to YANT!

#216325 - 03/14/12 04:38 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Not at all, Ted. It is just that a certain coarseness and cheapness seems to bedevil even the finest efforts of Americans in the arts. This is true of all the arts, not just poetry.

I defy you to name an American poet who can be compared to the first rank of British poets. Robinson Jeffers is very fine -- for an American -- but he is much inferior to Dylan Thomas, William Butler Yeats, Gerald Manly Hopkins, Percy Bysshe Shelley -- to name just a few of the British poets co-aeval with the American republic.

#216346 - 03/14/12 08:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Whitman, Dickenson, Eliot, Frost, Millay, Benet, Pound, Hughes, but of course all of them are coarse and cheap because they were born American; we all understand you profess a never-ceasing, regurgitating, pathological bias and hatred for things American simply because they are American. Not only are your posts stupid, they are just plain [censored] boring.

#216350 - 03/14/12 09:19 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Ted Remington]
itstarted Offline
old hand

And those from my alma mater don't count either...
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Robert P.T. Coffin
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Willis Barnstone

How did we get here from "Crazy House"?

topic creep?

#216354 - 03/14/12 10:17 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
'
Not at all, Ted. It is just that a certain coarseness and cheapness seems to bedevil even the finest efforts of Americans in the arts. This is true of all the arts, not just poetry.

That is the equivalent of saying that a composer's concerto has
"too many notes".

Numan, rename yourself as Salieri.

---Benjamin Bratton

#216356 - 03/14/12 10:35 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Austin, Texas
'

I defy you to name an American poet who can be compared to the first rank of British poets. Robinson Jeffers is very fine -- for an American -- but he is much inferior to Dylan Thomas, William Butler Yeats, Gerald Manly Hopkins, Percy Bysshe Shelley -- to name just a few of the British poets co-aeval with the American republic.

I'm gonna go with W. Nelson, C Kristofferson, B. Dylan, D Parton....just to name a few. Now I know they mix a little music with their poetry...but none-the-less great poets.

Yours Truly - Gregg

#216359 - 03/14/12 10:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline
veteran

Jazz great, Art Tatum was often accused of playing too many notes.
Wasn't his fault if you couldn't listen as fast as he played.
But the world of Jazz was one where cheapness and coarseness were properly appreciated.

#216403 - 03/15/12 01:29 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'

What a litany of second- and third-raters from the peanut gallery !

I consider my point demonstrated. · · wink

#216430 - 03/15/12 03:19 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
2wins Offline
veteran

'

What a litany of second- and third-raters from the peanut gallery !

I consider my point demonstrated. · · wink
numan, there are times when i have to agree with you. but other times, well you're just a @#$^head. and yeah, i know the guidelines but really ...

#216438 - 03/15/12 03:44 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Oh, forget about the guidelines, 2wins -- why should you be the only one to follow them?

I am quite indifferent to meaningless insults -- just as much, on the other hand, as I take seriously comments that make sense.

I'm still waiting for some of those.

#216444 - 03/15/12 04:05 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

'
Oh, forget about the guidelines, 2wins -- why should you be the only one to follow them?

I am quite indifferent to meaningless insults -- just as much, on the other hand, as I take seriously comments that make sense.

I'm still waiting for some of those.

Why not go somewhere else to wait? You shoot down every idea that comes up here, so we are obviously not good enough to clean the sh!t off your shoes. There are lots of other places on the internet where you could waste their your time.

#216447 - 03/15/12 04:32 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Quote:

More...

Lest we forget...

#216449 - 03/15/12 04:57 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Ted Remington]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington

You shoot down every idea that comes up here....

Er, Ted, I think that you may be fixated on your own experience and generalizing it to everybody else.
It ain't necessarily so. · · wink

#216498 - 03/15/12 09:14 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: numan]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: issodhos

He is one of the greatest poets that America has produced, ...

I think it is more a universal condition that applies whenever man attempts putting words to poetry, numan. How can it be otherwise when the imperfect approximates a portrayal of the perfect?

Issodhos

#216502 - 03/15/12 09:29 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline
veteran

Topic Gentlemen, Please!

Return to it immediately, Poetry is a marvelous subject and very worthy of its own thread.

The insults, small mindedness and meanness don't belong here at all.

I see Itstarted has reposted the thread starter to remind those with short memories what we are supposed to be discussing here.

Greger,

#216513 - 03/15/12 10:03 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: Greger]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

The insults, small mindedness and meanness don't belong here at all.

Hmmmm ... I had no idea that's what I was doing. Goodnight.

#216521 - 03/15/12 10:30 PM Re: Welcome to the Crazy House [Re: issodhos]
Greger Offline
veteran

My dear friend Issodhos, You must have assumed my post was in reply to yours since it followed sequentially, please note that the reply was addressed to Itstarted, not yourself.
As I mentioned the part of the off topic discussion you were taking part in (poetry) was very worthy of its own thread, there were actually a few others engaging in discussions of the sort that make moderators frown.

Goodnight;)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2