by NW Ponderer
Today at 02:59 PM
Lax regulation by NY fed. Goldman tapes
by Ardy
Yesterday at 02:21 PM
Congress of Cowards
by NW Ponderer
09/28/14 11:35 PM
The World's First Genetically Modified Babies Will Graduate High School This Yea
by Ardy
09/28/14 06:49 PM
Middle east, ISIS/ISIL, Syria, Iraq - I don't get it
by jgw
09/28/14 04:10 PM
How Baldface Lying Prevails
by Ardy
09/28/14 12:30 PM
Defense of the GOP
by logtroll
09/28/14 12:27 PM
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by Ardy
09/28/14 12:09 PM
Space Station's '42' Crew Links Expedition to 'Hitchhiker's Guide'
by logtroll
09/28/14 03:34 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
09/27/14 02:44 PM
ISIS-ISIL-IS**Name it
by logtroll
09/26/14 11:47 AM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by NW Ponderer
09/26/14 11:44 AM
Stats
by Ardy
09/26/14 12:07 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14367 Topics
247774 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#216230 - 03/13/12 10:23 PM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Ted Remington]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington
Actually, CO2 is an absolute requirement for human respiration. Without CO2 your body will "forget" to breathe on its own...

No, you "breathe" to expel the toxin. wink CO2 is a waste by-product of cellular respiration and glycolysis. Look at any Kreb Cycle chart.

- or -

One can conduct this experiment:

Place your vehicle in your garage (...if it's not already there). Start the engine. Close the garage door. Get back into your vehicle. Roll ALL windows down. Breathe deeply for several minutes.

Report back to me the result(s) of the above experiment.

#216232 - 03/13/12 10:25 PM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Ozymanithrax]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Ozymanithrax

No, it's the Girl Scout cookies which we all just ate which makes us fat. wink

#216241 - 03/13/12 11:53 PM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: california rick]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Rick, a car exhaust is primarly Carbon Monoxide. However, if ysomeone will place a plastic bag over thier head and ducttape it around their neck, they could still perform your experiment.

#216243 - 03/14/12 02:46 AM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: california rick
Actually, CO2 is an absolute requirement for human respiration. Without CO2 your body will "forget" to breathe on its own...

No, you "breathe" to expel the toxin. wink CO2 is a waste by-product of cellular respiration and glycolysis. Look at any Kreb Cycle chart.

- or -

Place your vehicle in your garage (...if it's not already there). Start the engine. Close the garage door. Get back into your vehicle. Roll ALL windows down. Breathe deeply for several minutes.

Actually, it's a combination of both. When you have used up the oxygen in the last breath you take, the level of CO2 triggers you to expel that CO2-laden air and draw in a new breath full of O2.

You can conduct another experiment-breathe in deeply, and hold your breath. Let me know how long you can do this with out breathing in.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#216244 - 03/14/12 02:48 AM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ozymanithrax

No, it's the Girl Scout cookies which we all just ate which makes us fat. wink

You must use moderation in your Girl Scout cookie consumption, Grasshopper! grin

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#216257 - 03/14/12 09:20 AM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: california rick]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

- or -

Rick:

When one breathes in CO, it replaces the O2 in the bloodstream because hemoglobin has a 230 times higher affinity for CO than it does for O2. This means that the body "thinks" it is getting plenty of O2 when it is not. One of the characteristics of CO poisoning is that the blood is very red, even in the veins, because the CO bond to hemoglobin is so strong. CO2 in the bloodstream changes the pH of the blood, which is monitored by the medulla oblangata. When pH levels increase (which happens by definition when CO2 level rises in the blood stream the medulla triggers increased respiration.

But when the blood is saturated with CO there is no O2 to metabolize so CO2 levels do not rise. Then there is no increase in respiration.

Therefore you won't breathe to expel the toxin because there is none in the bloodstream. As I said, CO2 is an absolute requirement for human respiration.

See in general the articles on CO poisoning and an control of respiration in wiki.

Edited by Ted Remington (03/14/12 09:21 AM)

#216261 - 03/14/12 09:34 AM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Ted Remington]
Chuck Howard Offline
old hand

Loc: Philly 'burbs
Ted, it's explanations like that which creates Republican voters. I mean, which is easier to understand, the complexities of O2 and CO2 exchange and how all that works in plants and animals or "Tell that to a plant?" Plus, "Tell that to a plant" will fit on a bumper sticker,it can easily be remembered, and is very useful in ending any meaningful and substantive discussion with a member of a reality-based community.

#216266 - 03/14/12 09:48 AM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Chuck Howard]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Mea culpa. Which is not something you are going to hear one of the Republican candidates saying in the South, mind you. He used Latin, he must be one o' them closet mackerel snappers.

#216294 - 03/14/12 12:30 PM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Ted Remington]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Perhaps Rick Santorum is a “medical gardener.”

Quote:
CO2 is an odorless, invisible, and non-flammable gas. It is also safe for humans in the maximum concentrations recommended for plant growth. The average level of CO2 in the atmosphere is about 300 PPM (parts per million). If the level decreases down below 200 PPM in an enclosed growing area, plant growth slows to a halt. Through the years of testing and research, the optimum enrichment level of CO2 for plant growth has been agreed to be about 1500 PPM. With CO2 enrichment, under good conditions, plant growth rates and flowering will increase 20-100%. CO2 can be used from seedling right through harvest.

Here is a handy calculator to determine your CO2 needs provided by these fine folk:

Get your grow on

#216305 - 03/14/12 02:44 PM Re: Dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
I am pleased that we are on our way to making this planet a paradise for plants.

That the attendent global heating will make it a hell-hole for humans, in comparison, is obviously a mere detail.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2