Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217830 - 03/25/12 02:15 PM Stress effects
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Late last summer/early fall, I had a job which was extremely stressful. I caught a nasty cold which was going around the workplace. The thing is, I never get sick.

A co-worker just had breast cancer surgery, both breasts removed over the summer and she is only 38 years old.

I feared that stress was going to cause cancer in me. Another Ranter stated there is no correlation between stress and cancer.

Be that as it may, it turns out that stress has a whole litany of negative health effects.

According to National Georgraphic: Killer Stress article on the research done by Robert Sapulsty at Stanford University for the past three decades and Professor Sir Michael Marmont's Whitehall Study in London, researchers have find that:
  • Stress is a corrosive bath to humans immune system
  • Stress shuts down ALL non-essential biological systems in humans
  • Disrupts the body's ability to heal itself
  • Clogs arteries
  • Restricts blood flow
  • Chronic stress shortens the synapses in the brain
  • Affects learning and the ability to recall events from memory
  • Alters fat distribution in the body by forming around the mid-section
  • Shortens telemers in chromosomes
  • Induces medical aging
The above link to National Geographic has the full documentary if you want to watch and learn more. smile

#217833 - 03/25/12 02:21 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You will also learn by watching the above link that ulcers are not stress related; they are bacterial infections.

#217890 - 03/25/12 10:38 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Cancer is not caused by a weak or defective immune system. It is caused by cellular mutations, which may be generated by radiation, chemicals (mutagens), or a retrovirus ("retro' meaning it can inject new genes into its host). The difference between benign and invasive tumors is the presence of a mutation that disables "contact inhibition" which normally tells cells to stop dividing when they contact other cells. Your immune system usually reacts to such mutations by destroying the new "different" cells before they divide and grow into a tumor.

You may have a gene variation that makes one of your defense mechanisms weak or non-existent (such as xeroderma pigmentosum), or your immune system may be rendered less effective by stress, disease, malnutrition, chemotherapy, etc. When that is the case, then a single-cell cancer may be able to grow and prosper until you have full-blown metastatic cancer all over your body.

Many think that we "get cancer" all the time, since so many cells are always dividing, but that our immune systems kill the bad cells as soon as they occur. There is some pretty good evidence for that idea: Bruce Ames invented a test for mutagenicity (called appropriately the Ames Test) and then tested lots of chemicals and common foods and beverages. Broccoli fails the Ames Test spectacularly, but also contains lots of phyto-nutrients that make it beneficial in fighting cancer!

There is also very strong evidence that stress can cause an immune system collapse. One example is pet rabbits that are chased by a dog. They may be untouched, but the stress generates an immune system collapse so intense that they die a few days later from a massive pasturella infection.

#217903 - 03/26/12 02:44 AM Re: Stress effects [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Cancer is not caused by a weak or defective immune system.

Cancer and most other diseases have a wide range of causative and pre-dispositional factors. The fact is that people who are 20 years old are less likely to get sick than people who are 95 years old..... the difference lies in the difference of resilience. And, science has proved that stress is a factor that over time weakens an individuals resilience to disease.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#217928 - 03/26/12 03:21 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: pdx rick]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
BRAINWASHING

1. a method for systematically changing attitudes or altering beliefs, originated in totalitarian countries, especially through the use of torture, drugs, or psychological-stress techniques.

2. any method of controlled systematic indoctrination, especially one based on repetition or confusion: brainwashing by TV commercials.

3. an instance of subjecting or being subjected to such techniques: efforts to halt the brainwashing of captive audiences.

[emphasis added]

IMO, the rich and powerful in modern societies, including governments, deliberately induce stress in their subject populations in order to manipulate them and make them more manageable. I think obvious examples in the USA include the Communism Hysteria of the 1950s and '60s -- and the Terrorism Hysteria of the present time.

Edited by numan (03/26/12 03:23 PM)

#217936 - 03/26/12 04:44 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
Quote:
ulcers are not stress related; they are bacterial infections.

Yes, and they can be extremely painful.

Rick, your fears of stress related cancer are generally unfounded. Your fears of serious health problems, both mental and physical induced by stress are very well founded and something you should take action against. There are several ways to go about this, first is self medication. You need to take up drinking or burning a little weed in the evening, or both. Even a single glass of wine has tremendous health benefits.
Half a bottle is recommended dosage after a particularly stressful day. That's about three glasses of wine, which is equal to about three brewskies, Or three mixed drinks, or three bowlskies, depending on the quality of your weed.
The second option is psychiatric counseling. A psychiatrist may determine that you need medication to improve your ability to cope with the stress. Chemical imbalances in the brain are responsible for a plethora of problems, all of which are going to be exacerbated by stress.

A third option is to quit your job and run away from it all. This is probably the option you have pondered the most, and the one least likely to work. The next job may be even worse.
It's marvelous to have all those choices though isn't it? Many people just have to knuckle down and work at a job they hate until they die or retire.

I'll give you odds that the boob girl has had fibroid cysts even longer than she has had breasts to speak of. To the best of my knowledge this is the precondition responsible for many early breast cancers, sadly it's just the luck of the draw(genetics).

I can recommend some excellent beginners wines if you should choose the self-medication route...;)

#217939 - 03/26/12 04:57 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: numan]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida

#217958 - 03/26/12 07:32 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: Greger]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: Greger

Rick, your fears of stress related cancer are generally unfounded. Your fears of serious health problems, both mental and physical induced by stress are very well founded and something you should take action against.

stress is by far more likely to produce non-cancer related negative outcomes. That said, the national cancer institute says
Quote:

A direct relationship between psychological stress and the development of cancer has not been scientifically proven (see Question 3).
Researchers have suggested that psychological factors may affect cancer progression (increase in tumor size or spread of cancer in the body) in patients who have the disease (see Question 5).
link

Edited by Ardy (03/26/12 07:33 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#217989 - 03/26/12 11:37 PM Re: Stress effects [Re: Ardy]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
psychological factors may affect cancer progression (increase in tumor size or spread of cancer in the body) in patients who have the disease

There's that point I was making: We may all get cancer every day, or even several times per day, in that a single mutation event can sometimes lead to a cell growing and reproducing without any control. (And believe me: We encounter several mutation events per day, in the forms of chemicals and background radiation.) If your immune system is compromised, then that single cell is more likely to grow unchecked into cancer.

How much more likely? Depends on many factors, but there are examples like xeroderma patients who almost all get skin cancer after brief sunlight exposure, and AIDS patients who develop Kaposi sarcoma because their immune systems are too weak to keep the herpes virus that causes it in check.

#217990 - 03/27/12 12:40 AM Re: Stress effects [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Greger
... The next job may be even worse...

I actually changed jobs in January 2012. I come to work at 8:00 a.m. and I leave at 4:30 p.m. SHARP

My new boss does what I used to do at the old job: Director of Food Services

He stays 'til 9:30 p.m., comes back at 7:00 a.m. and looks haggard all-the-time.

Me? I'm living large. I take Sam to work with me. I see him, and hang-out with him, at least four times a day. Life is good. smile

...and most evenings, I don't even think about work when I leave and almost forget I even have a job and say 'oh yeah work tomorrow" on Sunday night. gobsmacked How's that for stress-free?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2