by logtroll
Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by Scoutgal
10/23/14 05:02 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
10/23/14 03:26 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by Scoutgal
10/23/14 03:14 PM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
10/22/14 04:42 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibitionís 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:23 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:22 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14412 Topics
248232 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#217840 - 03/25/12 03:40 PM The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Well, well, well, even Foreign Policy Magazine can occasionally recognize the obvious -- though, of course, they carefully avoid the role of war profiteers -- and the matter of who got the oil !!

The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War

From the article :

Lesson #1: The United States lost.

Lesson #2: It's not that hard to hijack the United States into a war.

Lesson #3: The United States gets in big trouble when the "marketplace of ideas" breaks down and when the public and our leadership do not have an open debate about what to do.

Lesson #6: It's very hard to improvise an occupation.

Lesson #7: Don't be surprised when adversaries act to defend their own interests, and in ways we won't like.

Lesson #8: Counterinsurgency warfare is ugly and inevitably leads to war crimes, atrocities, or other forms of abuse.

[emphasis added]

Edited by numan (03/25/12 03:45 PM)

#217845 - 03/25/12 04:20 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: numan
'

From the article :

[b]Lesson #1: The United States lost.

The above "headline" is an absurd summary of the point the article makes.... which is that anything short of a dominant victory will be indistinguishable from a loss. Gulf War #1 was a victory because G Bush Sr. understood this point.

It is a concept well worth remembering in connection with how we may choose to deal with Iran.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#217846 - 03/25/12 04:22 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
Ardy Offline
veteran

'

Lesson #6: It's very hard to improvise an occupation.

and planning an occupation may not remarkably improve the final outcome.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#217847 - 03/25/12 04:28 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
Ardy Offline
veteran

By the way, I would say there is one more lesson that we seem never to learn.....

You really cannot expect your military commanders to come back and report that they have miserably failed and that they have no clue how to turn things around to achieve a definable success sufficient to disengage.

#217855 - 03/25/12 04:57 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: Ardy]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: Ardy
By the way, I would say there is one more lesson that we seem never to learn.....

You really cannot expect your military commanders to come back and report that they have miserably failed and that they have no clue how to turn things around to achieve a definable success sufficient to disengage.
I would say that your point can be extended to a more general principle :

Until proven otherwise, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS assume that a person in a position of authority is lying like hell to you !!

Corollary: The higher the position of authority, the more vicious, deep and vile are the lies.

#217862 - 03/25/12 07:13 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
Ardy Offline
veteran

'

Until proven otherwise, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS assume that a person in a position of authority is lying like hell to you !!

Corollary: The higher the position of authority, the more vicious, deep and vile are the lies.

I really think that misses the point....
I can imagine a warden or his prisoners lying. I do not think a warden is inherently more inclined to tell vicious lies than are his prisoners.

OTOH, people are people... and if there is a self interest to tell a lie, a person is more inclined to lie.... regardless of position.

#217918 - 03/26/12 02:21 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: Ardy]
numan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Ardy
I really think that misses the point....
I can imagine a warden or his prisoners lying. I do not think a warden is inherently more inclined to tell vicious lies than are his prisoners.

Dear, dear, Ardy!!
That depends crucialy on what type of things he is prone to lie about!! ∑ ∑ wink

#217923 - 03/26/12 02:43 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Interesting the "lessons" that were elided, like "don't listen to ambitious exiles."

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#217932 - 03/26/12 04:11 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Numan:

I just looked back at that article, and I found this:

Quote:
Lesson #5: Don't listen to ambitious exiles. The case for war was strengthened by misleading testimony from various Iraqi exiles, who had an obvious interest in persuading Washington to carry them to power.
emphasis added

I don't believe NWP was making an attempt at humor. Rather, he was pointing out that when you chose to list the top 10 lessons you omitted several, including the one above which is entitled exactly the same as what NWP had in quotation marks.

If you still believe that he needs censure, you are invited to go to his post, click on notify, and tell the moderators why he should be censured for making a direct quote of the article on which you started this thread.

Otherwise, perhaps an apology to NWP is in order.

Ted Remington, fellow Ranter

#217935 - 03/26/12 04:38 PM Re: The Top 10 Lessons of the Iraq War [Re: numan]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Oops, missed Ted's follow up. What he said.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2