Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218059 - 03/27/12 06:13 PM Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?

#218063 - 03/27/12 06:29 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Female superhero Chinese Redbud Woman appears in Beijing

Quote:
This May, a female “superhero” appeared in Hong Kong, wearing low-cut black tights and blue mask, called herself “Zijing Woman”, or “Chinese Redbud Woman”.
She handed out food and cash to some Hong Kong residents. The mysterious masked female vigilante received great attention in Hong Kong.
However, on December 24, a “female superhero” also appeared in Beijing, wearing exactly the same outfit as the “Chinese Redbud Woman” of Hong Kong.

“Today is my first day as the Chinese Redbud Woman, feeling a little nervous. Already prepared the military coats and food for the elderlies, also many thanks for the hand warmer a friend gave me.” She called herself Chinese Redbud Woman in her microblog, mysteriously appeared on the cold streets of Beijing on Christmas Eve, in front of the Wangfujing Bookstore, at the Xidan subway station and other places, distributed clothing and gifts to beggars and homeless. Beijing residents and netizens also started to talk about her.

Ah, the Chinese Redbud, Cercis chinensis, the "zijing shu" -- a lovely, though thorny, Spring flowering plant with purple to pink masses of small flowers covering its branches, much like flowering cherry from a distance, but shrubby, like lilac, rather than a tree.

It is notable in legend from a story about three brothers whose father died. They decided to divide up the family property and go their separate ways. There was a large Redbud shrub in the family garden, and they were perplexed about how to divide it, since they all appreciated its loveliness. Before they had come to a conclusion, the Redbud withered and died. The brothers were impressed by this, and took it as a sign that they should stay together and all take care of each other. Thereupon, the Redbud came back to life and flowered magnificently.

So the Redbud symbolizes family or group solidarity.

#218064 - 03/27/12 06:31 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

#218075 - 03/27/12 07:13 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
That is lovely and refreshing-a superhero that helps by helping, and not by beating. A super hero indeed! Thank you for the lovely tale, numan! Bow

廖南岭

这是纽约中文名称

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#218257 - 03/29/12 12:39 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing [Re: numan]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Nice idea, but looking at the photo of her interacting with the poor, I am struck by the idea that any photo showing a queue of Chinese people consisting of five or fewer must be a staged photo-op!

#218272 - 03/29/12 02:53 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beijing [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Nice idea, but looking at the photo of her interacting with the poor, I am struck by the idea that any photo showing a queue of Chinese people consisting of five or fewer must be a staged photo-op!

Maybe they just do not yet know about her. I think that what she represents is the important thing here. A message that is worth spreading.

#218277 - 03/29/12 03:28 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beij [Re: pondering_it_all]
numan Offline
veteran

'

I am not sure that what you wrote is racism, but I suspect that it is.

I think it is a photo-op, too -- but probably to gain publicity for the plight of the poor and homeless, so I think that is quite all right.

#218296 - 03/29/12 05:28 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beij [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

There ARE no poor and homeless in the great People's Republic. And what is racist about saying things might be so bad in China that people line up to get food, medicine, whatever?

#218300 - 03/29/12 05:37 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beij [Re: numan]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:

Actually, it was a comment on the vast population of China. If something was really being supplied to people for free, then there would be a line wrapping around several city blocks. Or just a mob crowding up to the counter, with no line at all.

Besides, I get a free pass since I am part Chinese myself.

#218303 - 03/29/12 06:06 PM Re: Superhero Chinese Redbud Woman Appears in Beij [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Actually, it was a comment on the vast population of China. If something was really being supplied to people for free, then there would be a line wrapping around several city blocks. Or just a mob crowding up to the counter, with no line at all.

Besides, I get a free pass since I am part Chinese myself.

Hey! That's MY line! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2