by Ardy
01:04 PM
Round Table for July 27-August 2, 2014
by Scoutgal
12:55 PM
Palestine after Rome and before wwi
by Ardy
11:40 AM
palestinian responsibility for the Jewish Diaspora?
by Phil Hoskins
11:37 AM
Libya a failure of foreign policy
by NW Ponderer
11:35 AM
Help me understand
by Ma_Republican
11:20 AM
Spiritual But Not Religious
by Spag-hetti
06:08 PM
State sees surge in high-paying white-collar jobs
by NW Ponderer
08:39 AM
Time Travel Question: Kill Hitler or educate voters on the 2000 FL ballot
by california rick
07/27/14 12:39 PM
Round Table Foe Week Of July 20th-July 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
07/27/14 10:08 AM
Passing out weapons as a foreign policy
by california rick
07/26/14 12:14 PM
Impeachment Circus Rides Again
by california rick
07/26/14 12:12 PM
Big brother is watching
by Joe Keegan
07/26/14 12:16 AM
Illegal immigration rates
by NW Ponderer
07/24/14 07:56 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by logtroll
07/24/14 01:28 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14220 Topics
246508 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#220217 - 04/16/12 11:32 PM Re: Obama by default [Re: california rick]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#220224 - 04/17/12 02:46 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Ardy Online   content
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins

Rather than hope it would be refreshing to have a candidate speak honestly about issues and engage people in becoming part of the solution. We don't need hope, we need a kick in the pants.

Bow

but the sad reality is that is a truth that no presidential candidate dare speak for fear of becoming unelectable. And even if spoken, those hard truths would become yet more fodder for exploitative partisan negative political posturing.

I wish it were true that Americans would respond to a candidate telling them the truth, but it appears we are a "have your cake and eat it" sort of people.

Edited by Ardy (04/17/12 02:48 AM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#220237 - 04/17/12 10:11 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: california rick]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
More America-hating.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#220255 - 04/17/12 01:22 PM Re: Obama by default [Re: Ardy]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Originally Posted By: Ardy

I wish it were true that Americans would respond to a candidate telling them the truth, but it appears we are a "have your cake and eat it" sort of people.

We're spoiled teenagers who don't want to see the dentist.

---Benjamin Bratton

#220291 - 04/17/12 07:07 PM Re: Obama by default [Re: california rick]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: california rick
Who with a moral conscience would vote for Barack the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate slash War Criminal Assassin in Chief Obama or for the republicrat to be named later. Obama and Romney will both do whatever war profiteers and bankers ask them to do. So will Congress and the Senate. That's the system of government we have. If Romney or Obama are what the American populace believes are some kind of choice, we deserve our own demise.

I do not think that president Obama is in any way going to win by default, rick. I think both the Dem base and the Repub base will, for the most part, vote for their party guy (though turnout of these folks may be quite crucial -- the Dems will directly use race to do so, and the Repubs will indirectly use race to do so). It is the unalligned voter (a.k.a. the independent voter) who I think is going to decide this election. From a political standpoint, the reality is that president Obama is the inside-the-beltway incumbant who has presided over an economic mess for four years, and has little of any meaningful track record to run on -- as much as he and his followers may wish it so, he can no longer run as the unBush or spout the empty and meaningless slogans of hope, change, and transparency.

Romney, on the other hand, is running as the successful outsider with big ideas. In bad times, wrongly or not, that is what the voter looks for. Of course, Romney does have the countervailing force of being -- well -- being Romney. Romney will have the advantage of moving a bit toward the middle where many of those "independents" tend to be. President Obama cannot risk doing that with losing some of his more extremist base. Either way, the state will get its cog -- new or slightly worn -- but the election will not be "Obama by Default".
Yours,
Issodhos

Edited by issodhos (04/17/12 07:08 PM)
Edit Reason: correct format

#220309 - 04/17/12 11:25 PM Re: Obama by default [Re: california rick]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Even WND is stating that Republicans are leaning towards Obama.

WND of all people! (I was certainly surprised that WMD would admit such a thing!)

I Googled® "independents leaning towards Obama" and the Los Angeles Times came up first in the Google® search - so I didn't link to the site because of its perceived "librul" bias from some.

Here is the Google® search link. There are many sites stating the independents are leaning towards Obama.

Matters not to me. I'm only voting for CA proposition measures. smile

#220330 - 04/18/12 07:57 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: california rick]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: california rick
Even WND is stating that Republicans are leaning towards Obama.

WND of all people! (I was certainly surprised that WMD would admit such a thing!)

I Googled® "independents leaning towards Obama" and the Los Angeles Times came up first in the Google® search - so I didn't link to the site because of its perceived "librul" bias from some.

Here is the Google® search link. There are many sites stating the independents are leaning towards Obama.

Matters not to me. I'm only voting for CA proposition measures. smile

It's even worse for the Republicans at the moment than I would have thought, if the poll you cited is correct. But anything can happen twixt now and November. For instance, the Repubs today said that Obama had eaten dog meat. If all the dog lovers in the US took this to heart Obama would be the toast the dog meat is served on. Personally I have no problem with his having eaten dog meat. Why else would we have Chow Chows in the world?

#220334 - 04/18/12 08:30 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: Ted Remington]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I want to know who will be driving the Dog Meat bus?! And who will be thrown under it.

(Is there a peer-reviewed protocol for determining if a person is; a) thrown under the bus, b) falls in front of the bus, c) is secretly pushed by someone in the crowd under the bus, d) is intentionally run down by the bus driver?)

I'd wager that there is a 100% likelihood that at least one bus will be intentionally steered with career-homicidal intent between now and election day. It may well be that the thrown-under-the-bus metaphor will be so worn-thin transparent then that such events will not scratch our bewarted president and the default option will remain intact. The bus drivers may have to finally take some heat for their actions, ala Zimmerman (that there's a metaphor).

#220337 - 04/18/12 10:51 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
In our own small circle it appears that those most opposed to President Obama have no intention of voting for any candidate.
It appears also that the two most vocal are effectively protesting that the Obama War Machine is among the primary reasons for their opposition to his presidency. I think the ant-war movement is not going to be a factor against President Obama in the coming general election, nor will his propensity to rid himself of underlings who have become an embarrassment to him. As I see it they are blowing smoke and nothing more.

#220340 - 04/18/12 11:37 AM Re: Obama by default [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

I feel that rampant unemployment may hinder President Obama's chances for re-election. Whether true or not-IMO- people will vote for Romney on the belief that he can create jobs and revive the private sector economy.

IMO- I believe that Romney will win the presidency.

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 13 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2