281317 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220010 - 04/14/12 11:04 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: itstarted]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Dunno. Ignore it. Education today at best is a "baby sitting" service and at worse is a propagandizing/brain washing (although light rinse probably would do)vehicle.

#220053 - 04/15/12 07:01 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: itstarted]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Here are examples of questions I should like to see on high school final examinations :

-- From memory, write out the text of a Shakespeare sonnet. Also, write out the same sonnet using the International Phonetic Alphabet. Extra points if you can then write out the sonnet in IPA with the pronunciation which Shakespeare used.

-- Either, 1) write out, from memory, ten lines from Middle English literature, or 2) five lines from Old English.

-- Compare and contrast ancient Greek poetry and ancient Chinese poetry.

-- What is the relation of ln(n) to ln[ln(n)], and the relation of both to summations of natural numbers? What does this tell you about the natural logarithms?

-- Describe two ways in which to form a Golden Rectangle.

-- Give at least five examples of the relation of the Fibonacci Sequence to natural phenomena.

-- What is the reciprocal of 0.81? (no calculators allowed)

-- Write out Euclid's demonstration of the Pythagorean Theorem and the related, more general, theorem of Pappus for all triangles. What does Pappus' theorem demonstrate about Euclid's proof?

-- Describe, in as much detail as possible, the origin of the Solar System and its planets, including the origin of the heavier elements within it.

-- To what does the mnemonic "King, please come out, for God's sake!" refer? Apply it to humans. Extra points for sub-divisions.

-- To what does the mnemonic "Wow! Oh, be a fine girl, kiss me!" refer? Describe in as much detail as you can.

Edited by numan (04/15/12 07:18 PM)

#220065 - 04/15/12 09:45 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: numan
'
Here are examples of questions I should like to see on high school final examinations :

-- From memory, write out the text of a Shakespeare sonnet. Also, write out the same sonnet using the International Phonetic Alphabet. Extra points if you can then write out the sonnet in IPA with the pronunciation which Shakespeare used.

-- Either, 1) write out, from memory, ten lines from Middle English literature, or 2) five lines from Old English.

-- What is the relation of ln(n) to ln[ln(n)], and the relation of both to summations of natural numbers? What does this tell you about the natural logarithms?

-- Give at least five examples of the relation of the Fibonacci Sequence to natural phenomena.

-- Write out Euclid's demonstration of the Pythagorean Theorem and the related, more general, theorem of Pappus for all triangles. What does Pappus' theorem demonstrate about Euclid's proof?

-- Describe, in as much detail as possible, the origin of the Solar System and its planets, including the origin of the heavier elements within it.

-- To what does the mnemonic "King, please come out, for God's sake!" refer? Apply it to humans. Extra points for sub-divisions.

-- To what does the mnemonic "Wow! Oh, be a fine girl, kiss me!" refer? Describe in as much detail as you can.

Oh, noomie! Such a treasure trove of useless knowledge! I, too, have a vast fortune of intellectual widgetry that could be used to impress even the Vice Premier of Fools.

(I also have a pretty fair store of useful knowledge.)(And skills).

#220066 - 04/15/12 09:46 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

What a pile of sh!t, numan. That is so [censored] silly it makes everything you have said here before seem significant, whereas pretty much everything you have said is really insignificant.

Knowing the spectra of the stars is really going to help a high school graduate a lot.

Knowing five lines of Old English is a waste of brain space.

And comparing and contrasting ancient Greek and ancient Chinese poetry is just a pseudo-intellectual's ravings.

Every damned one of those things is just plain useless in our modern society.

#220071 - 04/15/12 10:04 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: Ted Remington]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
In defense of numan, I could have answered most of his questions by the time I was ready to graduate from high school(but not at the end of 8th grade). I learned these things, especially the memorizing of Shakespear as mandatory in my English classes, and as a point of interest on the part of my teacher in Geometry. There many(and I am one of them) that like learning merely for learning's sake. And we have acquired critical reasoning by doing so. Knowledge is power.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#220072 - 04/15/12 10:17 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: Ted Remington]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ted Remington

Every damned one of those things is just plain useless in our modern society.

Especially those things that aid in critical thinking and an expansion of the mind's view. How else to explain the vampires that ascend to seats of elected power on a repetitative basis? coffee
Yours in a laid-back, easygoing, live-and-let-live but no longer turning-the-other-cheek kinda guy,
Issodhos

#220074 - 04/15/12 10:36 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: Scoutgal]
logtroll Offline
veteran

AIDONoomie, I appreciate the opportunity for critical thinking, and speaking - not to mention critical showing off!

Attaboy, noomie! ThumbsUp

BTW, I think folks should be tested at the end of their lives to see if they learned anything from the Great Lesson. I don't think any of the questions above would be on that test.

#220080 - 04/15/12 10:46 PM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: numan
'

Awright noomie, I'm hooked. Explain why these are on your list of essential test questions for 8th graders.

#220108 - 04/16/12 03:36 AM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: logtroll]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: logtroll

Awright noomie, I'm hooked. Explain why these are on your list of essential test questions for 8th graders.

Well, for one thing, they might sharpen your mind so that you would perceive the difference between 8 and 12.

#220109 - 04/16/12 03:42 AM Re: 8th Grade Test [Re: logtroll]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Originally Posted By: logtroll
BTW, I think folks should be tested at the end of their lives to see if they learned anything from the Great Lesson. I don't think any of the questions above would be on that test.

No, they wouldn't. That is a very different sort of test.
However, the answers to those, and similar, questions would greatly increase your chances of learning The Great Lesson.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2