Current Topics
Quantitative Easing Is About to End. Here’s What It Did, in Charts.
by Jeffery J. Haas
11:44 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 26th-November 1st, 2014
by logtroll
07:33 PM
Sarah Palin hopes to run for office again some day
by Scoutgal
12:04 PM
Genetic Testing
by pdx rick
10:52 AM
The Pope and evolution
by Scoutgal
09:39 AM
Governor: Maine will seek to enforce quarantine of Kaci Hickox
by rporter314
12:33 AM
Brand new '2001: A Space Odyssey' trailer is gorgeous
by Golem
10/29/14 10:56 PM
Charles Barkley Slams "Unintelligent Blacks" on Philly Radio
by logtroll
10/29/14 07:40 PM
RETIREMENT
by california rick
10/28/14 05:27 PM
Interstellar: the movie
by Golem
10/28/14 05:14 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10/27/14 02:46 PM
"Same reason YOU get to live, breathe, and walk black!"
by Scoutgal
10/26/14 11:15 AM
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by logtroll
10/25/14 06:02 PM
Muslim Woman Attacks Muslims For Demanding Halal Food At Minnesota Food Banks
by NW Ponderer
10/25/14 12:03 PM
Ebola
by logtroll
10/24/14 03:06 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14420 Topics
248326 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#225769 - 06/15/12 01:26 PM Re: George Zimmerman's wife arrested/charged w/perjury [Re: NW Ponderer]
Siannan Offline
journeyman

Loc: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Keep in mind that a firefighter in Texas using "stand your ground" type language killed a young father who was having a party. Not only did he video tape the encounter, it was also captured in the 911 call as he was on the phone with the operator at the time. He was found guilty of, I believe 1st degree murder just the other day.

Christian Science Monitor

#225770 - 06/15/12 01:26 PM Re: George Zimmerman's wife arrested/charged w/perjury [Re: NW Ponderer]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
I think Issodhos is right that there is an element of "kill a chicken to scare the monkeys" -- as the Chinese say -- involved here.

This is so common in modern society, it is hard for me to get worked up about it in any one particular case.

#225796 - 06/15/12 05:45 PM Re: George Zimmerman's wife arrested/charged w/perjury [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Online   content
veteran

I think that the "concern" is grossly overblown, not by those who sought charges, but by those who want to assert that the prosecution's hand was forced by "outside pressure." Indeed, if he were not charged but for the outside pressure, I am in favor of it. The short form response is a young man is dead and it is important that the cause of his death and appropriate response to it be determined through the judicaial process. I have seen no evidence that the judicial process is in any way tainted by outside pressure, and none has been presented here. The usual partisan tropes have been asserted, and the typical baseless whines voiced. The judge appeared to have handled the arraignment by the book, granted reasonable bail based upon the circumstances presented to him, and got appropriately pissed when he found that he was purposely misled. Charges against Mrs. Zimmerman seem appropriate based upon the couples' coordinated efforts - which is the subject of this thread - and it is likely that it will have an impact on the presentation of his case (as well as the probability of additional, unrelated charges).

As I noted before, there has not been an unrelenting "rush to judgment" here, it was just an interesting twist that is likely to have some impact on the presentation of the case, and demonstrates, to some degree, a character trait that is unflattering. Either there will be a trial or there will not (likely because of a plea deal), and there will either be a conviction, or there won't. Only time, and the appropriate judicial processes, will tell. From a professional standpoint, I do not believe that the 2nd degree murder charge is inappropriate to the facts of the Information. It is not overcharging, as a manslaughter charge does not fit the known circumstances.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#225798 - 06/15/12 06:04 PM Re: George Zimmerman's wife arrested/charged w/perjury [Re: issodhos]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
Quote:
Zimmerman ... was a registered Democrat. No wonder Democratic and ‘progressive’ mouthpieces suddenly found themselves with so much less to “work with”.

Hm-m-m. Jerry Sandusky is (and Joe Paterno was) a registered Republican. Does that give conservative "mouthpieces ... much less to 'work with'"?

Quote:
I also consider it to be beyond ludicrous that anyone would seriously compare the ‘fairness’ of a trial involving politician and multimillionaire John Edwards to that of a ‘white’ working class Hispanic nobody like Zimmerman. That is not reality.

Yeah. Like David and Goliath. Or maybe the middle class and Sheldon Adelson.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
2 registered (NW Ponderer, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2