Current Topics
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by logtroll
1 second ago
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by pdx rick
8 minutes 45 seconds ago
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
Bloomberg
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Above the law: DOJ lowering Stone sentencing
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Democrating Efforts
by jgw
Yesterday at 06:53 PM
Why not?
by chunkstyle
Yesterday at 03:55 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
02/22/20 10:10 PM
living library
by logtroll
02/22/20 09:47 PM
Bro or NOT Bro?
by Greger
02/20/20 07:26 PM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by CPWILL
02/18/20 11:37 PM
Thorium Reactor
by jgw
02/18/20 07:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhh - the perfection of Capitalism
by jgw
02/16/20 09:43 PM
Prognostications on the demise of Herr Dicktater
by logtroll
02/15/20 04:10 PM
Iowa caucuses fail dismally.
by Greger
02/14/20 09:43 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by Greger
02/13/20 07:17 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
02/12/20 05:30 PM
Android support for CHB
by Jeffers
02/09/20 07:54 AM
Romney
by jgw
02/08/20 07:49 PM
All The President's Men
by Greger
02/08/20 07:38 PM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16819 Topics
295830 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226941 - 06/27/12 09:06 PM The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools
If you got sent back in time 2,000 years to ancient Rome, you probably wouldn't want to choose a career as a gladiator. After all, it was a messy existence, with a fairly low life expectancy. But if you were up to your eyeballs in debt, or wanted a chance at fortune or fame, you could break in at the top, by going to gladiator school.

And four different Roman gladiator academies rose above the nearly 100 others, to become the best of the best. At these schools, you'd learn specific fighting styles, and how to have an excellent death. What set these four schools apart? And what sort of training could you expect in the Ivy League of gladiator training schools?

Talk about disastrous career choices. I am sure someone will do this as a video game.

#226946 - 06/27/12 10:06 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Ozymanithrax]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'

Is this a proposal for training more qualified political leaders?

#226953 - 06/27/12 11:15 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: numan]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida

Quote:

We couldn't possibly be training worse ones.

#227004 - 06/28/12 02:24 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Greger]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger

Quote:

We couldn't possibly be training worse ones.

We don't train modern political leaders. I believe the idea is that only if they remain utterly selfish and ignorant can they make unbiased decisions. Turning the house, Senate, Executive, and Judicial branches into gladiatorial arenas where we the citizens could give an up or down vote would change governance.

#227085 - 06/28/12 09:39 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Great athletes, gladiators and politicians are born, not made. There should be a rule that anyone who wants to go into politics should absolutely be forbidden from ever running for office.

#227089 - 06/28/12 10:12 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Greger]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Great athletes, gladiators and politicians are born, not made. There should be a rule that anyone who wants to go into politics should absolutely be forbidden from ever running for office.

They should also pass a law that anyone who ever led should be fobidden from ever running for office.

#227098 - 06/29/12 01:20 AM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Ozymanithrax]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I think that one's already on the books, there certainly doesn't seem to be a lot of leadership among all the politicians. What we need is Leaders not mealymouthed
politicians.

Real Leaders seem to be hard to come by.

#227099 - 06/29/12 01:23 AM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Greger]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
I think that one's already on the books, there certainly doesn't seem to be a lot of leadership among all the politicians. What we need is Leaders not mealymouthed
politicians.

Real Leaders seem to be hard to come by.

I disagree. Politicians are leaders, it is just that they seldom are honest about where they lead us. But I take your real meaning to be that they do not stand out from the machinery nor lead in directions their masters want avoided.

#227107 - 06/29/12 03:33 AM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Schools [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Leaders established Social safety nets, fought against child labor and for the Occupational Safety and Health Act(OSHA). Leaders funded the arts, sciences, and education.
Leaders voted for civil rights when it wasn't popular.
Leaders will eventually make same sex marriage legal everywhere in the US.
Leaders have begun to make healthcare for all Americans a reality.
Leaders to not lead us into unprovoked wars or pull the safety nets out from under us because their masters tell them to. Leaders do not have masters. They lead with courage and the knowledge that those who lead are often those struck down first. It is their courage that prompts others to pick up the standard and continue to lead. Leaders are rare. Politicians are a dime a dozen.

#227144 - 06/29/12 05:09 PM Re: The Ivy League of Ancient Roman Gladiator Scho [Re: Greger]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'

There should be a rule that anyone who wants to go into politics should absolutely be forbidden from ever running for office.

Ah!! Back to Plato, eh? A wise decision! · · wink

Plato thought that the Wise should be forced to become political leaders, since, obviously, no one who was wise would desire to become a political leader !

Edited by numan (06/29/12 05:12 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2