by logtroll
47 minutes 41 seconds ago
Ebola
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 02:37 AM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:42 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:37 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 12:53 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition’s 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:23 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:22 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by pondering_it_all
10/21/14 05:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 11:30 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
10/21/14 09:38 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
10/20/14 11:32 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
10/20/14 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
10/20/14 04:12 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14408 Topics
248193 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#227579 - 07/03/12 09:14 AM Romney muddies Republican message after ruling
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign broke with congressional Republicans on Monday by arguing that the individual mandate upheld by the Supreme Court last week is a penalty, not a tax.

The split undercut a forceful Republican line of attack, leaving one GOP strategist furious with the Romney campaign.

“That was the best consolation prize we could get out [of] the Supreme Court decision, and for them to pull the rug out from Republicans on this issue is political malpractice,” the strategist told The Hill.

“He’s taken the Republican message, one that elected leaders, officials and pundits across the country had banded together on, and that had rallied conservatives around the tax issue, and flushed it down the toilet,” the strategist continued. “The worst thing they could do was make a comment undercutting it, and it makes people nervous about what their strategy is.”

The Hill.com

Can't Mitt do anything right? coffee

#227583 - 07/03/12 10:02 AM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: california rick]
Ozymanithrax Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: california rick
Can't Mitt do anything right? coffee

At Bain Capital he was really good at exportig jobs to foreign counties to line his own pockets. That is about as right, politically speaking, as you can get.

#227595 - 07/03/12 12:04 PM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: california rick]
NW Ponderer Online   content
veteran

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#227605 - 07/03/12 01:09 PM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: NW Ponderer]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer

Quote:
The Romney team's decision to accept that the mandate is a penalty rather than a tax is yet another moment of excruciating positioning: because it's obvious why Rmoney won't call it a tax. It would mean he'd raised taxes in Massachusetts, in pioneering Obamacare on a state level.

Andrew sullivan

#227610 - 07/03/12 01:44 PM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: Ozymanithrax]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
At Bain Capital he was really good at exportig jobs to foreign counties to line his own pockets

i am not going to do the research on this but simply point out possible errors

politifact did a check on an Obama ad which said essentially the same thing and they found the ad provided no basis for the accusation i.e. that Romney personal etc at Bain. There was more than enough evidence that Bain did in fact send jobs overseas.

How i find this as irrelevant is, he had no qualms working for a company which did send jobs overseas and has since defended Bain in their business, which is to me all that is necessary to make the case

i think factual accuracy is essential in this claim as it means the difference between say a conservative dismissing without hearing the point and actually making the point for which i don;t think there is no conservative defense

#227804 - 07/05/12 12:10 AM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: california rick]
veteran

I have often enjoyed Jon Stewart's ability to hoist political blowhards by their own petards - bringing up contradictory statements and showing their inconsistency in spades. IMHO, Mitt Romney has done one better with his "it's a tax if Obama does it, but it's a penalty when I did it" line. Romney Now Says Health Mandate by Obama Is a Tax It cements his role as "flip-flopper-in-chief" and it sets a new mouth-speed record: talking out of both sides of his mouth in the same conversation. Can anyone take him seriously? And, just to prove I am not making this up:
Quote:
“The Supreme Court is the highest court in the nation, and it said that it’s a tax, so it’s a tax,” Mr. Romney told CBS News. “They have spoken. There’s no way around that.”

and
Quote:
“The chief justice in his opinion made it very clear that at the state level, states have the power to put in place mandates,” he said. “And as a result, Massachusetts’s mandate was a mandate, was a penalty, was described that way by the legislature and by me, and so it stays as it was.”

I think, though, that it will weaken Romney more that he has tried to parse this situation - calling it a "tax" when the President does it, but a "penalty" when he did it - than if he had just stuck by his guns in the face of the conservative meme machine. In this I agree with Bill Burton, even if he says so for political reasons: “Romney’s ideological gymnastics will both weaken his standing on the health care debate but, more importantly, will further undercut any notion of strength in his leadership.”

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#227810 - 07/05/12 09:08 AM Re: Romney muddies Republican message after ruling [Re: california rick]
veteran

I think the Republicans have made the same mistake this year as they did in 2008 - selecting as their nominee someone who is so desperate to be their standard bearer that he will mouth any position he thinks will get him elected, rather than to stand by any principles he might personally hold. With McCain, it undercut a reputation for being a "maverick" - undeserved or not - and made him seem weak and craven. In Romney's case, he already had a reputation for being opportunistic and craven, so it only reinforces that opinion. If President Obama sticks by his positions and, as he has done so far, picks positions that are not seen as "politically favorable" - such as the support for gay marriage and broadening immigration - he will be seen to be more decisive and leader-like (even if those stances actually improve his standing among key demographics), and will win this one in a walk-off.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2