Current Topics
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by Phil Hoskins
Today at 02:04 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
Yesterday at 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:12 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:12 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:41 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 09:28 AM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition’s 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Phil Hoskins
10/19/14 10:37 PM
Ebola
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 09:16 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
10/19/14 08:13 PM
Utah National Guard busted for risque ‘Hot Shots’ calendar photo shoot
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 06:47 PM
In sharp turn, gay couples marry in Arizona
by california rick
10/19/14 06:09 PM
'Terminator's James Cameron & Gale Anne Hurd: Hasta La Vista To "Fear-Based" Stu
by Golem
10/19/14 04:45 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14405 Topics
248144 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#229190 - 07/14/12 11:06 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer

I don't think that Romney is personally an evil person, per se, but he was up to his eyeballs in profiting from the misfortune of others....

Isn't that pretty evil ?

#229193 - 07/14/12 11:14 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: numan]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: numan
'

I don't think that Romney is personally an evil person, per se, but he was up to his eyeballs in profiting from the misfortune of others....

Isn't that pretty evil ?

noomie, you saying Bain Capitalism is evil? Might have a point there...

#229201 - 07/15/12 12:27 AM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: california rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: california rick
Originally Posted By: logtroll
'kay, I'll bite... Candidate Romney has a 59 point economic plan?

59-points?!? Sounds like a two-term effort. coffee
Nope, that's his "first day" agenda. wink

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#229211 - 07/15/12 10:43 AM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-romney-is-hiding-2012-7

Quote:
For what it's worth, my guess is that what Romney is hiding in his tax returns is not something that is clearly illegal or dishonest, but, simply the following reality:

Romney has made hundreds of millions of dollars
He has paid very little of that (on a percentage basis) in taxes
He has made hundreds of millions of dollars in part because he has structured most of his income in ways that enable him to pay the least amount of taxes possible
This "structuring" of income has likely taken full advantage of things like the ludicrous "carried interest" tax exemption that allows private-equity investors to pay capital gains taxes on income that is actually fees [This tax treatment is one of the most outrageous and unfair elements in the entire tax code. There is no logical basis for it, and it benefits only the richest people in the country.]
This "structuring" has also likely taken advantage of offshore accounts, the contribution of hard-to-value securities at low valuations to Romney's IRA (whereupon they exploded in value), and other sophisticated tools. These tools are, theoretically, available to anyone, but, in practice, are available only to those with tens of thousands of dollars to spend every year on tax-and-estate planning.
This structuring, which (let's be honest) is done primarily to avoid paying taxes, will look bad to most Americans, who will know instinctively that it's done to avoid paying taxes and that it's not something they will ever be able to afford to do--and, therefore, will seem unfair.

In short, by not releasing his returns, I think Romney is trying to avoid calling more attention to the fact that he is a card-carrying member of the 0.01%, a group of Americans who deserve to be proud of their success but who are also understandably viewed with suspicion and frustration by most other Americans right now, especially when they argue that they're still paying too much in taxes.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-romney-is-hiding-2012-7#ixzz20hbsMRgP

#229288 - 07/15/12 07:48 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: california rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

This may be the weakest defense of Mitt Romney's "missing Bain years."
Quote:
"He actually retired retroactively[.]"
Ed Gillespie

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#229289 - 07/15/12 07:55 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Quote:
Ed Gillespie

Wholly Mother of Crikey! That's... that's like a LEVEL 10 Etch-A-Sketch move!! Unbelievable!!!

#229294 - 07/15/12 08:32 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: california rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

#229296 - 07/15/12 08:55 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Ouch. THAT's gonna leave a mark!

#229298 - 07/15/12 09:16 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
i read it this morning but couldn't bring myself to post it

i had to laugh at him as it bordered on the absurd ... i guess only in the world of the 0.01%er's can one take a leave of absence and then after several years decide to actual retire at the earlier date ... kewl gig if you can get it

#229301 - 07/15/12 09:23 PM Re: Report: Mitt at Bain longer than admitted [Re: NW Ponderer]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Ed Gillespie

ROTFMOL

'Retroactive retirement!

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2