by pdx rick
0 seconds ago
My vote will be for Biden, and this is why
by pondering_it_all
5 minutes 30 seconds ago
What's for dinner?
by Greger
22 minutes 17 seconds ago
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
40 minutes 20 seconds ago
Disaster and the Party of Lemmings
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
America's Lost State
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Alternate Reality
by Greger
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Questions
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:10 PM
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/05/20 07:21 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
04/05/20 01:26 AM
Duty
by jgw
04/04/20 07:14 PM
I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff?
by jgw
04/04/20 05:37 PM
FISA IG Report
by Greger
04/04/20 12:52 AM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
04/03/20 11:28 PM
What is the value of a human life?
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/03/20 07:42 PM
Underclass
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/01/20 07:07 PM
Green New Deal
by logtroll
03/31/20 11:42 PM
Killing bacteria and virus with ozone
by pondering_it_all
03/31/20 12:23 AM
Fox news worred over getting sued
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 10:04 PM
ventilators
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 12:46 AM
Forum Stats
6290 Members
60 Forums
16864 Topics
297862 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229322 - 07/16/12 04:01 AM Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Artur Davis: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rights [VIDEO]
Paul Conner
The Daily Caller
July 15, 2012

Quote:
President Barack Obama and the Congressional Black Caucus are not in step with the majority of African-Americans who donít equate gay rights with civil rights, former Rep. Artur Davis said in an interview.

ďWhen you say to African-Americans, Ďthe gay struggle is the black struggle,í they donít buy it,Ē David explained to The Daily Callerís Ginni Thomas.

More

#229323 - 07/16/12 04:24 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Golem]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rights

Yeah...we know. We've had this discussion before.

#229350 - 07/16/12 03:15 PM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Golem]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
I'm not sure where Arthur Miller gets his information. The NAACP came out strongly in favor of gay marriage, to a lot of amens and applause from the audience. Apparently a lot of blacks find it easy to sympathize with other minorities.

#229459 - 07/17/12 01:30 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
This is not about whether or not most blacks support gay marriage. It's whether they equate gay rights with civil rights.

Now, I don't know whether or not most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rights, as Mr. Miller says, but I'll tell you what I think.

Remember, I support gay marriage (and gays serving openly in the military).

Remember also that I voted against Prop 8. I did so from long standing beliefs. I did not care for the comments made by people on either side and wasn't swayed by them. If I had been, I would have vote for Prop 8.

Why? Well, while I did find the pro-Prop 8 arguments to be alarmist, I found the anti-Prop 8 arguments to be bunk.

They were comparing the situation of gays to blacks in the Jim Crow south (and to Japanese Americans interred to WWII).

Both blacks and gays have certainly endured discrimination, but let's compare blacks to gays.
  • Blacks have a crime rate that is higher than the norm. Gays have a crime rate that's lower than the norm.
  • Blacks have an education level that's lower than the norm. Gays have an education level that's higher than the norm.
  • Blacks have an income level that's lower than the norm. Gays have an income level that's higher than the norm.
Two peas in a pod? I don't think so.

#229462 - 07/17/12 02:15 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
let's compare blacks to gays

No, let's not.

Of course the discrimination each group has suffered was (and still is) different. Gay and lesbian people have usually had the option of hiding who they are, and so could choose if and when they wanted to subject themselves to all that (if ever). And until quite recently, most did choose invisibility. The percentage of people who self-identify as Black but had the option of "passing" was very low.

Vastly different discrimination experiences for centuries: Vastly different long-lasting effects. Comparison of crime rates, education, and income at this point is like comparing apples to sea urchins!

But I can thing of an interesting way to isolate those huge differences: Compare straight African Americans to gay and lesbian African Americans!

#229464 - 07/17/12 02:17 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Golem]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Originally Posted By: Golem
This is not about whether or not most blacks support gay marriage. It's whether they equate gay rights with civil rights.

Now, I don't know whether or not most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rights, as Mr. Miller says, but I'll tell you what I think.

Remember, I support gay marriage (and gays serving openly in the military).

Remember also that I voted against Prop 8. I did so from long standing beliefs. I did not care for the comments made by people on either side and wasn't swayed by them. If I had been, I would have vote for Prop 8.

Why? Well, while I did find the pro-Prop 8 arguments to be alarmist, I found the anti-Prop 8 arguments to be bunk.

They were comparing the situation of gays to blacks in the Jim Crow south (and to Japanese Americans interred to WWII).

Both blacks and gays have certainly endured discrimination, but let's compare blacks to gays.
  • Blacks have a crime rate that is higher than the norm. Gays have a crime rate that's lower than the norm.
  • Blacks have an education level that's lower than the norm. Gays have an education level that's higher than the norm.
  • Blacks have an income level that's lower than the norm. Gays have an income level that's higher than the norm.
Two peas in a pod? I don't think so.

But those disparities have nothing to do with civil rights. Equal treatment under the law is a Constitutional requirement, not reparations for unequal conditions of life.

You are the one mixing things up.

#229466 - 07/17/12 02:35 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
No, let's not.

Why not? It might be an avenue for an honest discussion.

#229467 - 07/17/12 02:38 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Quote:
Compare straight African Americans to gay and lesbian African Americans!

OK. How does one do that? Straight white guy here. Although rick looks cuteÖ..in my mindÖ...

#229470 - 07/17/12 03:01 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Ken Condon]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Originally Posted By: Ken Condon
Quote:
Compare straight African Americans to gay and lesbian African Americans!

OK. How does one do that? Straight white guy here. Although rick looks cuteÖ..in my mindÖ...

Easy, what rights do you have that Rick does not?

#229473 - 07/17/12 03:26 AM Re: Most blacks donít equate gay rights with civil rig [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Donít know. Can yaíll get married in California?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan
6290 Registered Users
A2