by logtroll
10/24/14 07:28 AM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by Scoutgal
10/23/14 05:02 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
10/23/14 03:26 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by Scoutgal
10/23/14 03:14 PM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
10/22/14 04:42 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibitionís 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:23 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14413 Topics
248248 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#231203 - 07/28/12 02:27 PM Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

After trying to make hay about "leaks" from the Obama White House, Mr. Romney has demonstrated, yet again, that he just doesn't "get it." Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting. If you are really concerned about leaks, how about keeping your own mouth shut?

I just found another article that made the same point, so let me reference it here: Mitt Romney's MI6 Gaffe Worse Than it Sounds
Quote:
So what's so terrible about admitting to meeting and talking with the head of MI6 and relaying the information of at least one topic that was discussed? On the surface, it might simply appear to be a faux pas easily dismissed. But going deeper, it provides an opportunity for the Obama administration to hit back at Romney for his campaign's attempts at making President Obama and his White House staff look careless with sensitive information.
Hair-splitters will say that Romney's gaffe occurred in England, so it is immaterial to the conversation.

But they would be incorrect, because Romney's act of talking about a meeting that "did not happen" indicates a breach of intelligence protocol. At the same time, he did exactly what he said his White House would not do. He "reveal[ed] classified material for political gain."
OH, but that's right, it doesn't matter because he's a Republican.

More at: Mitt Romney broke MI6 silence
New Mitt Romney Gaffe, Discloses Private Meeting with British MI6 Spy Chief Sir John Sawers

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#231210 - 07/28/12 03:07 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
OH, but that's right, it doesn't matter because he's a Republican.

I think it does not matter (other than as a desperate attempt to do a political "tu quoque") because it is an apple and orange comparison between intelligence-related government protocol and the actual leaking of information concerning recent and on-going operations (if, indeed, such leaks actually occurred). That said, the rule of thumb concerning matters of intelligence is to Never Say Anything. ;-)
Yours,
Issodhos

#231212 - 07/28/12 03:39 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
True, this incident happened in GB, but the British press and dignitaries, are gobsmacked that Mr. Romney would make such an amateur gaffe given that he wants to be on the world stage as Leader of the Free World.

#231219 - 07/28/12 04:07 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: issodhos]
Sandune Offline

I have worked under a top secret clearance in several jobs and the most important thing we were taught to remember was to think twice before mentioning anything picked up at work or even among fellow workers anywhere. I'm not certain Romney was ever in a position to have to think before talking about anything. The D of D (Department of Defense) pulled my entire department at Hughes Aircraft every Wednesday morning before work started to remind is of the projects we all were involved in. Every night before closing and locking our file cabinets, we had to remove the the ink ribbons from our typewriters and seal them in special containers and take them down to the basement of our buildings and hand them to the person in charge of the incinerators. We were always aware of adding information when certain subjects were being discussed even at home. Working for any government project carried the same restrictions.

Romney is dead set to blab about anything that might make him look important. I'm not convinced that he is smart enough to work for any level of decision making in our government. I'm also nervous about the hosts at MSNBC who often bring up subjects that they know nothing about. Every time Chris Matthers speaks I feel he knows next to nothing about the subject. He and Romney come off as hillbillies trying to follow some line of information. My mother who went to BYU with George Romney thought he was dangerously stupid but was able to lead in many organizations. I'm not going to blame their religion but something turned off their brains. The whole family believed that had Mother not been an alcoholic, she would have been a very bright adult human being. Booze made her into a sponge that took in conspiracies just like those on Fox News.

Poor Romney never took a minute to think before he spoke on any subject. He would have us in war before the ink dried on his oath of office. Even Bush wasn't this dumb.

Somewhere, some biographer will write the story of what happened to the brains within the Republican Party. It's as if a large chunk of intelligence is missing from the GOP. If the problem is their faith taking over their rational minds, at least this can be repaired.

#231230 - 07/28/12 05:10 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: issodhos]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
not to speak for NW but i see it as entirely appropriate viewed from correct perspective that being the less granular aspect of simply leaking secrets

government transparency ... it is an oxymoron ... hack the planet and make it meaningful

Quote:
the rule of thumb concerning matters of intelligence is to Never Say Anything

on more levels than one!!!

#231298 - 07/29/12 12:12 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

In reviewing my motivations for this thread in particular, I think it was just another in a long line of hypocritical moments that screamed for enlightenment. Romney is, in my view, the most "empty suit" candidate we have had in such a long time. McCain managed to debase himself seriously during his campaign for the presidency, but Romney did not have to violate any of his principles - because he clearly has none. He will say whatever is necessary to get elected, period. There have been a series of GOP meme moments throughout his campaign that were so blatantly obvious it was painful, and the "leak" thing is just the most recent. This needed highlighting mostly because it demonstrated the vacuity of his position - he doesn't even know what a "secret" is, except if it involves anything he has done (say, been a CEO, Governor, millionaire or Olympics organizer). He is fine about keeping his own secrets, obsessive, even, but if it is something that involves someone outside of himself, it doesn't even dawn on him that it might be a problem. I have come to the conclusion that Romney has Asperger's syndrome, and his social graces he acquired by rote.

Edited by NW Ponderer (07/29/12 12:14 PM)
Edit Reason: fix link

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#231449 - 07/30/12 05:42 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
Lillibet Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
In reviewing my motivations for this thread in particular, I think it was just another in a long line of hypocritical moments that screamed for enlightenment. Romney is, in my view, the most "empty suit" candidate we have had in such a long time. McCain managed to debase himself seriously during his campaign for the presidency, but Romney did not have to violate any of his principles - because he clearly has none. He will say whatever is necessary to get elected, period. There have been a series of GOP meme moments throughout his campaign that were so blatantly obvious it was painful, and the "leak" thing is just the most recent. This needed highlighting mostly because it demonstrated the vacuity of his position - he doesn't even know what a "secret" is, except if it involves anything he has done (say, been a CEO, Governor, millionaire or Olympics organizer). He is fine about keeping his own secrets, obsessive, even, but if it is something that involves someone outside of himself, it doesn't even dawn on him that it might be a problem. I have come to the conclusion that Romney has Asperger's syndrome, and his social graces he acquired by rote.
I think he's more fascinated with the title than the job, because if he were trying to appear "presidential" he'd have long ago figured out what the people want to hear and not hear in a leader. He'd also have figured out that sometimes consistency is a good thing, that keeping traditions of silence in leaders is a must, and that to perform diplomatic tasks, such as going over to "advise" on Olympics, evaluating preparedness, and so on, involves saying some things in private and criticizing is never done in public.

He'd also have known to keep his gob shut after talking to MI6, even the Head probably didn't trust him with anything more secret than the identity of the keeper of the phone number of the keeper of the dumbwaiter operator for the staff dining room in Whitehall. Would anyone in a real security position think this is someone to be trusted with the secrets of the Realm? Not now. Certainly not now.

Romney changes his opinions and closely held beliefs as often as most people change their unders.

Couple that with his gaffe fest, continued by Romney into Israel, and not only is MI6 worried, but the entire world ought to be scared witless at the possibility of a Romney presidency. Sure, he might be able to run an Olympics in the middle of nowhere, but he can't even go an entire day without angering friend and foe alike.

As for social graces acquired by rote, I have to disagree. He simply has none. He has no empathy, and as such, will never have social graces. The rules of etiquette are designed to make others comfortable, and no matter the rule, one always makes the other comfortable. He's not able to do that, because he can't think the other, whether person, company or nation, has any needs regarding their own level of comfort or their own needs that must be attended to, and met.

#231469 - 07/30/12 10:02 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
All this fuss about what foreigners think or don't think! Real Americans could hardly care less. Our Real Friends know what the score is as do our enemies. What they may or may not think has no bearing on America following the policy that best promotes Liberty and Freedom: unquestioned American power.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#231470 - 07/30/12 10:08 PM Re: Romney Blabs About MI6 Meeting [Re: NW Ponderer]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
I certainly hope on his next stop Governor Willard Mitt Romney doesn't fail to point out to President Walesa and all Poles that Poland has Liberty and Freedom thanks to the great Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2