by Golem
02:55 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by rporter314
12:31 PM
5 current Ferguson officers apart from Brown shooter figure in lawsuits
by NW Ponderer
11:25 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
11:12 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
08/31/14 06:55 PM
National Israeli fire on Gaza town raises war crimes claim
by Ardy
08/31/14 06:52 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
08/31/14 08:55 AM
The 10 Biggest Classic Rock Douchebags
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:44 PM
Round Table for the week of August 24-30, 2014
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:37 PM
How Clayton Kershaw compares to the greatest pitchers in history
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:07 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:02 PM
Gun Tourism Grows in Popularity in Recent Years
by logtroll
08/30/14 01:44 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14300 Topics
247169 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#232181 - 08/06/12 01:13 PM The Science of Genocide
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?

The Science of Genocide

Quote:
On this day in 1945 the United States demonstrated that it was as morally bankrupt as the Nazi machine it had recently vanquished and the Soviet regime with which it was allied. Over Hiroshima, and three days later over Nagasaki, it exploded an atomic device that was the most efficient weapon of genocide in human history. The blast killed tens of thousands of men, women and children. It was an act of mass annihilation that was strategically and militarily indefensible. The Japanese had been on the verge of surrender. Hiroshima and Nagasaki had no military significance. It was a war crime for which no one was ever tried....
"What are we to make of a civilization which has always regarded ethics as an essential part of human life [but] which has not been able to talk about the prospect of killing almost everyone except in prudential and game-theoretical terms?" Oppenheimer asked after World War II.
A little late to think about that, Oppie -- you great, big genius boobie.
Quote:
A rational world, a world that will protect the ecosystem and build economies that learn to distribute wealth rather than allow a rapacious elite to hoard it, will never be handed to us by the scientists and technicians. Nearly all of them work for the enemy.
All attempts to control the universe, to play God, to become the arbiters of life and death, have been carried out by moral idiots. They will relentlessly push forward, exploiting and pillaging, perfecting their terrible tools of technology and science, until their creation destroys them and us.
emphases added

#232194 - 08/06/12 03:27 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
But isn't genocide what you support, when wanting to give medals to the Westboro Baptist Church crowd(who want exterminate all LGBTS)? How very American(according to this thread) of you! rolleyes

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#232204 - 08/06/12 04:02 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
Siannan Offline
journeyman

Loc: New Jersey Pine Barrens
No sense banging your head against a wall Scoutgal. All you get is a headache and a dent in the wall.

#232303 - 08/07/12 01:09 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Thank you, Scoutgal, for sticking so closely to the topic of this thread -- NOT !!!

I am not interested in the rest of their religious nonsense.
Anyone who stands forthrightly against violence, militarism, and government crime and dishonesty gets my vote -- and to Hell with all the rest !!

#232307 - 08/07/12 01:18 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
i have found little to disagree with where hedges is concerned and while he is a harsh critic, we need more harsh critics. we need people to call it like it is. but let me be clear, hedges is has placed himself as a man of the people. his is an easy criticism to swallow, albeit it has a bitter taste.

#232310 - 08/07/12 01:36 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Good for you, 2wins!!

You have avoided the irrational, knee-jerk reactions of some other people, and taken the time and care to read what the author of the link has written.

#232315 - 08/07/12 01:57 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
2wins Offline
veteran

Loc: Barely above Sea Level
Originally Posted By: numan
'
Good for you, 2wins!!

You have avoided the irrational, knee-jerk reactions of some other people, and taken the time and care to read what the author of the link has written.
i read hedges all the time. but i will make this point numan, not to belittle you, but so that you may one day get it. while you may say many of the same things hedges says, your delivery is off. as i said, hedges is a man of the people, possesses compassion and is discerning while forward. he understands the masses, says so and offers empathy. you on the other hand do not.

#232319 - 08/07/12 03:13 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'
You can keep your worthless "empathy," 2wins.

If an adult cannot bear to face the truth, he or she deserves every bit of discomfort he or she gets.

Edited by numan (08/07/12 03:14 PM)

#232359 - 08/07/12 10:40 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: numan]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Why is it that everyone criticizes the US for picking Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Originally Posted By: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100203115016AA6kBrX
Why did the world’s first atom bomb fall on Hiroshima of all places, killing 200,000 people? It is of course entirely unjust for the innocent civilians who were killed. But for the United States military it was the perfect choice as the city bore high strategic value. Hiroshima was a military city that harbored Japan’s Second Army Group command, the Fifth Division command and dozens of military equipment factories such as Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Kure’s naval harbor and shipbuilding dock also added to Hiroshima’s military value.

Four cities were selected as possible targets for the bomb: Hiroshima, Kokura, Niigata, and Nagasaki. The criteria for target selection was that each target should have a high military strategic value, contain a large percentage of closely built frame buildings that would be susceptible to
damage by blast and fire, and that the site be relatively untouched by previous bombings.19

snip

Nagasaki was of great military value to Japan because of the industries located in the city. Ordnance, ships, military equipment, and various other war materials were produced in
Nagasaki and any interruption in the flow of these materials would prove to be very detrimental to the Japanese wareffort. Nagasaki had a population of approximately 195,000 people.

Yep. Civilians present. Yep. Strategic value. Yep

Coventry. Civilians present. Yes. Strategic value. None.

And please, someone bring up Dresden without doing some research. PLEASE!

#232362 - 08/07/12 11:16 PM Re: The Science of Genocide [Re: Ted Remington]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Of course, Ted, there is the alternative of not bombing any city. A demonstration of the force of the bomb could have been given elsewhere.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Ardy), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2